Best bonus you've got booking with a TA

cs

I am also assuming the real estate profession also doesn't have it's value constantly under attack by the internet, rebaters (since in most states that's against the law), MLM schemes and people who don't understand the value of what you bring to the table.

Oh we (and yes, I am a Realtor) are very much under attack. Internet "portal" agencies, limited service deep discount brokers, and of course FSBOs (for sale by owners) though FSBOs only really work in a seller's market.

Technology works both ways...makes me more productive and brings new competition. It's the free market at work, and I say...bring it on!

Funny you should say that because around here, the majority of reputable realtors require proof of mortgage approval or proof of funds before they even take the time to take you on as a client. They weed out the shoppers right off the bat.

Of course we screen potential buyers before we spend our time and money on them. Nobody gets in my car unless I am confident that they have the means and ability to proceed.

Nevertheless, even if they are qualified, it does not mean they are ready to pull the trigger or that we can find that perfect home. Many don't end up buying. After looking, some decide their current home isn't so bad after all. Things change. Sometimes I will work for them for weeks and then on some Saturday they wonder into an open house and ignorantly write up an offer with the listing agent because they think they will get a better deal or they just don't know better. Some show no loyalty. And if they don't buy through me, I don't get paid a dime.

My point is simply that if one chooses to work pure commission, you must make peace with that reality and not let it eat you up. Those clients are balanced out by other clients that are very loyal and have me write up offers on property they find without my help because they trust me and know my negotiating skills. They are also balanced out by other clients that buy one of the first houses I show them. It all evens out.

Certainly the same thing is true for travel agents. Some clients are not loyal and will chase the quickest easiest short-term savings. But they should be balanced out by the loyal clients that often do much of the work for themselves (I'm one of those) but still use the TA's representation.

Let me know if I am wrong here. In the real estate business, if you take a client around to see 10 house in a weekend and then the following weekend, the same person goes to the real estate office down the street from you and asks to see the same houses and makes an offer with real estate agent number two, won't you step in and say, hold on now, I showed them that house last week before you did and then ask for your commission because it was you that showed it originally?

Not really. What you refer to is "procuring cause" challenges. Whether you showed that home or not, if the client says he wasn't ready to buy, or didn't want to write the offer with you, there is no grounds for a challenge. Just showing a house does not necessarily mean you have procuring cause.

In reality, those type of challenges are very rare, and even more rarely won.

Oh...and I'll add that all we got from our TA for our recent 12 day "heart of Alaska" land/sea tour/cruise on Princess was a certificate for a Balcony Breakfast (which we very much enjoyed)

I would no more choose my TA based on freebies than I would choose my CPA based on his freebie calendar. But that's just me.

I have used my online TA before but last time I had free travel insurance, this time (for jan 08) We are getting a $350 OBC. (plus $100 from RCI for booking while on board the last cruise) Anyway, I did have the TA send an email confirming all the OBC. If after a couple of days I don't see the OBC on the seapass acct can I give the copy of the email to the concierge and let him/her handle it or is this something I have to take myself to the Purser?

unfortunately it depends on the source of the OBC ... if it's a group amentiy (thus from RCCL) or a rebooking OBC (again, from RCCL) Guest Relations might be able to rectify the problem. If it's from your TA, no luck, only contacting your TA will fix the situation.

I am a call center TA, and yes you can get the SERVICE from a call center TA. I put time and effort into every call, and when that particular customer is on the phone whether it is 2 minutes or over an hour, they are my client at the time, and until after they are back from their cruise. Whether it is a question about passports, dining times, or how to fill out the pre-registration online. I am there on the job whether at work or at home 7 days a week for my clients, they all have my email and voice mail, I will answer questions on my day off and get lower prices if they are available.

Lumping the TA's that work in a call center all together is not the thing to do, as you may have some that are working their way through college on a degree that has nothing to do with Travel, and you may be lucky enough to get me. I have been in the Travel Industry off and on for 20 years, and love it. I took time off to raise my children and take classes at the local college, am 40 years old and love my career choice. I have been with my company now for almost 2 months, and in the last 30 days have been a top 10 producer 8 times. This compared to agents that have been there for 10-20 years in the same company.

Yes I am hourly, when I am in the office, I do put in many more hours at home, whether it is on my Cruise Line Training classes, following up on payments that were made the day before, or answering calls about passports that I do not get paid for when I am on my time off. However, I don't care, because I want to help the customer have a remarkable experience that they will remember me and want me to help them with their next cruise, whether they book it themselves on the ship then transfer it to me or say they want to go next month and find them something. OR, the one that called last month, booked the cruise after we went back and forth over the course of a week with 2 cruiselines, several itineraries, finally decided. Now she is going on her cruise this weekend, and has me looking for one for the family for next summer. She likes me, and I just did my career choice, I don't like to call it a job, because it is an adventure, more than a job.

I want to thank you Leeanninfla. I have booked cruises through the cruise line with people like you, I have always been treated wonderfully. All questions answered and never felt rushed.

Thank you again.

Jon,

Archived