Best bonus you've got booking with a TA

cs

I know that TA's have no time or incentive to do that.

Sure we do - it's called building a relationship with a client. Personally I lost $700+ in commission by rebooking 6 staterooms on an Alaska cruise, so the clients could save money. In the long run though it benefits me because they are satisfied with my service, and the fact that I do work to save them money (and I'm not out to gouge them in order to get the highest possible commission). You may spend a lot of your own time monitoring the prices, but you are not privvy to all price fares available (not all are available to the general public).

I think many of us experienced cruisers are curious what service do you offer us that we can't get ourselves. I know you are professionals and I am not trying to be rude but what can you offer servicewise.

Advocacy is the biggest one. We can go to bat for you when problems/issues arise. We have access to upper management, and a lot of times our sales volumes speaks loudly to the cruise lines.

Stacysmom - Have you told the TA you are flexible?

If you call up and matter of factly tell them "I am an experienced cruiser and this is what I want" - why would that call center gal who has a 5 minute time limit to talk with you - check other dates or itineraries or cruise lines that might have a better product or value for that destination?

One problem with this thread is that it's lumping all "places you can buy a cruise" into one catagory called TA. There are actually a world of differences between a volume call center and a personal travel professional.

The "service" comes in going beyond what you are saying on the surface and hearing what you really want out of the time and money you are investing in your vacation.

It's not cookie cutter and it won't always be the same for each trip. A travel professional realizes that each vacation should be treated like gold - because even if you cruise 3 times this year - each one should bring you distinct and pleasurable memories to carry with you in life.

I am not knocking TA's but honestly I have found better deals on cruises than they have. In addition when there is a price drop, I find it not the Ta. I realize the TA doesn't have the time to look for the drops or the incentive. I look for an agent who gives me the best deal with the best perks. Last cruise I found almost 2000 dollars in price drops. The TA was shocked and honestly was getting tired of my phone calls. I got close to 250 per cabin in OBC which I liked but it was a nuisance calling the agent for every little question or request. I know what I want and wish I could just contact RCCL directly. Not sure about going with a TA in the future. Can those of you who are TA's explain the advantage of going with travel agents for experienced cruisers?

Obviously there are none. :rolleyes:

Do us all a favor, and continue booking direct. You'll be happy, we'll certainly be happy, end of story. Good luck!:D

A FEW THINGS I HAVE NOTICED AFTER READING THIS THREAD:

The debate will never end over a TA or booking directly...bottom line...most of the folks who book directly never had a great TA.

One woman wrote something to the effect that: "We will have to find a good TA around where I live". Why???...with computers you do not need to have a great TA who lives in your town...you simply need a great TA...one who could live 3,000 miles away from you...but who is still a great TA.

A great TA will cover your rear from the get-go. They will advise you of a price decrease and get the reduction. They will get you a better cabin because they know the ship better than you do. They will put you into a group sailing that they have going and then give you a bigger OBC and other benefits. They will get you upgrades whenever possible...not because the line happens to be offering an upgrade...but because the TA knows who to call at company headquarters in Miami. A great TA will ALWAYS get you an OBC or a gift of wine or a restaurant certificate etc. A great TA will always be able to help you if you run into trouble...they know how to fix things and they know who to talk to. A great TA will be doing more than 1 million dollars in business with the lines...therefore he/she will be getting the top commissions. If a TA is only making 10% on his/her bookings then they cannot pass along the benefits to you. If a TA is doing more than 1 million they are being paid 15 to 17% commissions...which leaves more room to give benefits to you.

I have been blessed with a great TA for more than 20 years. He has gotten me upgraded, wined and dined me, and even saved me thousands of dollars with his creative advice.

The best things my TA has done for me:

One time I was on Celebrity and booked in a Royal Suite...he got me upgraded to the Penthouse Suite...all because he has a personal relationship with the management in Miami.

I was booked for a RCI cruise this year...it was canceled but my TA got me the replacement cruise...same dates same ship...just a different itinerary...for the exact same amount of $$. If I had booked directly with RCI...this same cruise would have cost me $6,000 more for my group.

I will NEVER book directly.:D

It sounds like you have an AWESOME TA!!!

Well, if I were in your position:

I would check to see who had the best deals on frames - I'd shop around and get the best price - maybe even take a coupon.

Then I would go to the grocery store that gave me Green Points or some type of savings with my club card.

With the doctor's office, I would probably just let it be - but if you really wanted to, there are options for that one too.

Point is, that there ARE options out there. We have the option to go to a TA that gives perks, go to RCCL directly, or go to a TA that gives no perks. I'm not going to feel greedy in the slightest for taking the the first option.

So what you are saying is that you wouldn't have straight out asked the Lenscrafter sales person to rebate his commission or paycheck? I definately agree with shopping around I have no problem with shopping around, I use my AAA card whenever I can to get a discount. What I don't agree with is going to a TA that is not advertising a lower price, or a discount and then asking them to split their commission which is their paycheck.

But what you also have to understand is that a "good" TA doesn't what the shopper type of clients because they generally have no loyalty. You can give them the best service and next time they will book somewhere else it they can say $10.00.

Sorry I don't know what green points are.:o

I was re-reading some of the posts and don't understand why the agents think we want them to pay out of their pockets. I don't believe you should be paying, you are an hourly employee. Your company, who's obviously making money off of you, should be the one to offer incentives.

What was posted before made a lot of sense. I have been booking with an agency who books blocks of rooms and they can afford to give nice incentives.

First, commissioned TAs are being asked to pay out of their pockets. Salaried TAs typically work for huge agencies that have a steadfast rule against rebating (AAA comes to mind). You're small potatoes to them.

When you talk about blocking group space and how TAs can "afford" to give you nice incentives ... it's got nothing to do with what the TA can "afford"; those incentives are provided by the cruiseline to the TA for blocking group space ... but when people are talking about getting an OBC greater than $200, anything above and beyond that is coming out of the commission.

We went with a group of friends on Mariner last month. Two of the couples used a travel agent that was the mother of one of our friend's friends. Then us and another couple booked directly through RC. The TA bookings had worse room locations (deck 2, front of the ship, and deck 6 balcony at the front) while we had a hump room and a balcony close to the hump. They each got a bottle of wine from their TA, but that was it. Plus, I know they missed out on one price drop, and finally received one right toward the end when I told my friend to NOT take no for an answer, that there was definitely a price drop and to insist. I did all the checking for them, the travel agent did nothing.

Now, I know that there are good travel agents out there that will check all the time and are happy to help their clients, and many of them even post here on CC, but I don't have one, and I'm perfectly happy doing my bookings directly through RC and being in control of my own reservation.

I was re-reading some of the posts and don't understand why the agents think we want them to pay out of their pockets. I don't believe you should be paying, you are an hourly employee. Your company, who's obviously making money off of you, should be the one to offer incentives.

Not all - in fact most TA's these days - don't work for big companies with an hourly rate. That's an example of a call center worker. They do compete on price and price alone. You will never get the "service" that is being discussed.

Many TA's work for themselves now. They may be affiliated with larger organizations to get better pricing or a percentage of the higher commissions - but the TA most certainly pays for the freebies out of their own pocket, as well as the document shipping and overhead. Is that your problem? No. But don't treat the TA's that can't do what you are suggesting as if they are just lazy or greedy and won't give it up.

What was posted before made a lot of sense. I have been booking with an agency who books blocks of rooms and they can afford to give nice incentives. Your agency should look into that so they can compete with other agencies.

I know you're at the mercy of the company you work for. And I kind of feel bad for you. You work for a company that doesn't give you the tools it takes to compete in this industry. For that I am sorry. And I hope that you can still manage to keep up your quota despite that fact.

This has nothing to do with how a TA is paid or what company they work for. The point is, judging a TA by the amount of OBC they give you is wrong. And demanding such credit is rude. I (as well as many others) don't need to compete on "freebies". My clients come to me for the full service package I provide to them (which may, or as in most times, may not, include a gift). And as I said before, more often then not, I'm the one getting the gifts when they return.

Since you know everything there is to know about the cruise industry though, good for you! Continue booking direct. The knowledge I've gained through years of education and by sailing on every variety of cruise ships around the world would be wasted on the experienced cruisers on this board. :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet I've sailed on more RCCL ships than the person answering the phone at RCCL, but hey, what do I know. :rolleyes:

If you call up and matter of factly tell them "I am an experienced cruiser and this is what I want" - why would that call center gal who has a 5 minute time limit to talk with you - check other dates or itineraries or cruise lines that might have a better product or value for that destination?

Amen. Had a client (coworker of hubby's) that insisted on sailing a particular RCCL ship; I asked several questions to determine the best fit and felt a different ship (similar itinerary) would have been a better match. But he insisted on his choice, because friends told him so, so I went ahead with the booking.

They returned from their trip and the first they told me is how disappointed they were with the ship, and agreed that they should've followed my advice (friends don't always know best).

Wow ~ this has gotten to be such a testy thread. I have always booked myself directly because I like the control I have, but to be honest IF I could find a GREAT TA I might be inclined to go with them in the future BUT Cruise Critic will not let us share information about specific travel agents so I don't know how those of us who might really want a good travel agent, will ever be able to find one except word of mouth in our area where we live. It's sad we can't help each other out with info on good TA's but that is the rule.

Now on to another question that I asked before and never got an answer to -

What is the latest you can transfer a booking from RCI to a Travel Agent?

I hope someone will give me an answer. thanks!

This has nothing to do with how a TA is paid or what company they work for. The point is, judging a TA by the amount of OBC they give you is wrong. And demanding such credit is rude. I (as well as many others) don't need to compete on "freebies". My clients come to me for the full service package I provide to them (which may, or as in most times, may not, include a gift). And as I said before, more often then not, I'm the one getting the gifts when they return.

Since you know everything there is to know about the cruise industry though, good for you! Continue booking direct. The knowledge I've gained through years of education and by sailing on every variety of cruise ships around the world would be wasted on the experienced cruisers on this board. :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet I've sailed on more RCCL ships than the person answering the phone at RCCL, but hey, what do I know. :rolleyes:

I don't believe that anyone is judging a TAs ability by their incentives. Just the opposite, I said before that it's usually the higher the incentives, the lower the service.

You seem angered by the fact that not everyone needs the ultra service you provide. You have customers already that love your service so why do you care if others prefer price to service? Hey if I pay for low service/high perks - I know what I'm in for. I'm not knocking you. So why knock us?

Wow ~ this has gotten to be such a testy thread. I have always booked myself directly because I like the control I have, but to be honest IF I could find a GREAT TA I might be inclined to go with them in the future BUT Cruise Critic will not let us share information about specific travel agents so I don't know how those of us who might really want a good travel agent, will ever be able to find one except word of mouth in our area where we live. It's sad we can't help each other out with info on good TA's but that is the rule.

Now on to another question that I asked before and never got an answer to -

What is the latest you can transfer a booking from RCI to a Travel Agent?

I hope someone will give me an answer. thanks!

I agree. I sometimes wish I had a good travel agent that I could talk to. Our travel agent here in town will book cruises, but a couple of years ago, I stopped in to get info on one, and she tried to convince me that going on an all inclusive in the Dominican Republic would have been better for my family. We already knew we wanted to cruise on RC, because we were planning on going with family. She kind of had the attitude "why wouldn't you want to do an all inclusive??". Anyway, turned me off a little. I've recently found out that this is the agency's specialty, so that's why they try to book them I guess. Many of my clients do the all inclusives (I have a pet sitting business) and they all book through this particular agency.

I don't believe that anyone is judging a TAs ability by their incentives. Just the opposite, I said before that it's usually the higher the incentives, the lower the service.

You seem angered by the fact that not everyone needs the ultra service you provide. You have customers already that love your service so why do you care if others prefer price to service? Hey if I pay for low service/high perks - I know what I'm in for. I'm not knocking you. So why knock us?

I think because most "Travel Professionals" are contacted many many times by people who pick thier brains..."use the service"...and then take the info they impart and find a call center that offers the perks.

Some general hints -

If information is posted on an agents website about ships, itineraries, ports - even trip reports - and you visit and read it, that's called "research".

If, however, you call an agent and take advantage of the service, their time - then say "I'll think about it" and book at a call center - that's called "stealing". The agent has invested their own money and time for that knowledge and all they ask is that you respect it.

Respectfully, I don't think anyone here is demanding credits from TA's. Some TA's give it up freely; there is the website dedicated to cruise price competition. You probably know the one I'm talking about where various agencies and TA's compete for your business. Competition and good service is a good thing. :)

Respectfully, I don't think anyone here is demanding credits from TA's. Some TA's give it up freely; there is the website dedicated to cruise price competition. You probably know the one I'm talking about where various agencies and TA's compete for your business. Competition and good service is a good thing. :)

Yup, know it and avoid it like the plague.

My TA since 1995 has given us flowers, food, tote bags, etc. But what I use her for is her knowledge to handle any problems that come up. On our last cruise we were supposed to get a free meal at the alternative restaurant. The restaurant said they had no knowledge of this when we talked to them the afternoon we boarded. We phoned our TA (as we were still in port) and she said not to worry, go eat dinner and enjoy it. Two days later I got an email from her saying it was handled. It was, there was no charge on our final ship statement.

Our other problem had been I ordered a package that we had to fight for once we got onboard. When we got home I called TA. She got me a $200 ship credit which we used two years later with no problem!

This is why I use a TA.

I think because most "Travel Professionals" are contacted many many times by people who pick thier brains..."use the service"...and then take the info they impart and find a call center that offers the perks.

Some general hints -

If information is posted on an agents website about ships, itineraries, ports - even trip reports - and you visit and read it, that's called "research".

If, however, you call an agent and take advantage of the service, their time - then say "I'll think about it" and book at a call center - that's called "stealing". The agent has invested their own money and time for that knowledge and all they ask is that you respect it.

I have never, ever, called an agent that I didn't book with for information. I can get all the information I want/need from either the cruise line's website or this board. Even when booking through a TA, I really can't think of a time that I asked for information.

Part of the fun in crusing for me is doing the research.

I am afriad I have offended some on this board which was not my intent. Just asking questions. Sounds like many of you are excellent TAs. Unfortunately I haven't found one. I like someone who will talk to you and present options, opinions and take the stress off but of course I want a great deal. I apologize to those I have offended. I was just trying to discuss.

I recieved the shaft from my TA on our last cruise. She promised me 400.00 off of each cabin ( I had 5 booked, one a GS) and various OBC ( depending on the cabin cat) and champagne in every cabin. She charged the full cost to my credit card and then apologized with the promise of the refund.....Well, no refund, over 2000.00 no OBC and no champagne.

Let the flames begin!!!!!!!

I have never, ever, called an agent that I didn't book with for information. I can get all the information I want/need from either the cruise line's website or this board. Even when booking through a TA, I really can't think of a time that I asked for information.

Part of the fun in crusing for me is doing the research.

Well you are in the minority! And I mean a SMALL minority. Most people think nothing of it.......calling travel agents (and I mean real travel professionals, not those working for large online agencies in call centers) and picking their brains. They'll have us work for days, changing dates, wanting us to check different options, and asking a million questions (and yes even experienced cruisers do this). And then take all that information and price shop and book elsewhere.

This is called THEFT OF SERVICES and I think it's about time that the industry does something about it. That's why alot of travel agents are starting to charge a "Plan to Go" fee, which is usually applied toward the payment of the cruise. If you don't book, then it's nonrefundable for services rendered.

Maybe if we start sending those "shoppers" a bill for our service, that practice of picking our brain would stop. And if the bill is not paid, then it's time to prosecute.

I have no problem with internet shoppers if they are honest with me. I'll ask them upfront if they've been researching their trip and the prices they are getting. It makes my job easier, knowing what I'm up against and what type of budget they are looking at.

I am letting the cruiselines know about this thread. They are aware that rebating is still going on, but it is very much frowned upon. They do not want their product to turn into a commodity like the airlines, where it is price driven only.

I recieved the shaft from my TA on our last cruise. She promised me 400.00 off of each cabin ( I had 5 booked, one a GS) and various OBC ( depending on the cabin cat) and champagne in every cabin. She charged the full cost to my credit card and then apologized with the promise of the refund.....Well, no refund, over 2000.00 no OBC and no champagne.

Let the flames begin!!!!!!!

No flames, but a question.

Did you have anything from her in writing regarding the discounts, OBC, etc? Did you pursue this with the BBB? Or if she works with a large agency like AAA, did you talk to a supervisor/manager?

Archived