Best bonus you've got booking with a TA

cs

This is regards to the use of T/A's.

A few years back we booked though travel agents. We had already cruised with RCI in the past. We were interested in a RCI cruise on the "Navigator of the Seas". All balconys were sold out on the particular week we were looking into. Our travel agent said "why don't you look into Princess? In my opinion they are a much better cruise line, I cruise with them all the time." We said "OH?" So, anyway we cruised on the "Caribbean Princess". Nice ship ,nice cruiseline. No complaints. We do prefer RCI though.

A month after we got back from the cruise, our T/A cruised the "Freedom of the Seas" and told us all about the amazing ship and how great RCI was. It was her first RCI cruise!!! How then was it in her opinion that Princess was much better? This T/A is a recognized succesful agent. She only wanted to sell a cruise in my opinion.

I now book directly through the cruise line, their agents have always been more than helpful, answer questions and spend what ever time with me I may need. In addition I never see rates lower than the ones I get from them.

Back to the bonus. I got a 7 1/4 inch "made in China" chop saw that broke the first time I used it.

Jon,

This talk of "theft of service" is just insanity.

I am also employed in a pure commission business, (Real Estate Agent) and I never get paid for the majority of the work I do each day. I get extremely well paid for transactions that happen, and nothing for clients that I spend much time with (and gasoline, meals, etc.) where a transaction never closes. I've always believed it averaged out. If I started to charge up front to show homes or give advice, I'd be out of business.

That is simply the US real estate business model. Travel agents appear to be similar. I'm sure many of us would love to have a check every Friday, but if we choose to be involved in these industries we need to learn to adjust to the reality of commission sales.

The upside is that YOU determine how much your income is. The harder you work, the more you make.

This talk of "theft of service" is just insanity.

I am also employed in a pure commission business, (Real Estate Agent) and I never get paid for the majority of the work I do each day. I get extremely well paid for transactions that happen, and nothing for clients that I spend much time with (and gasoline, meals, etc.) where a transaction never closes. I've always believed it averaged out. If I started to charge up front to show homes or give advice, I'd be out of business.

That is simply the US real estate business model. Travel agents appear to be similar. I'm sure many of us would love to have a check every Friday, but if we choose to be involved in these industries we need to learn to adjust to the reality of commission sales.

The upside is that YOU determine how much your income is. The harder you work, the more you make.

While it is definately true that the 2 industries are very similar - your commissions come with a lot more zero's and can sustain you through the shoppers. By the same note, I am going to assume you have a lot less shoppers - except of course during Open Houses ;)

I am also assuming the real estate profession also doesn't have it's value constantly under attack by the internet, rebaters (since in most states that's against the law), MLM schemes and people who don't understand the value of what you bring to the table.

Don't forget, experience is just as important as education. If I come here and ask, "what was your experience with the food, entertainment, etc." - that's not something that you learn from a book. And I'm sure you actually use your own experiences when interacting with a client.

I can't really think of one thing that I've ever needed to know that I couldn't find on my own. Factual information - I look at the Cruise line website. Opinion information or basic info, I ask here.

I just found another thread on this board called "Carnival or Royal". I honestly cannot believe people are dumb enough to make a vacation decision based on the nonsense they read on this board.

The reasons to use a TA are found everywhere all over this website. :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that because around here, the majority of reputable realtors require proof of mortgage approval or proof of funds before they even take the time to take you on as a client. They weed out the shoppers right off the bat.

We have booked with the same travel agent for our last 6 cruises - what did we receive - zippo (sounds better that nothing) and on our last cruise we booked our own air - as she was going to charge $50.00 to book the air tickets. Normally we receive a call upon our return to inquire if we had a good time - last cruise May - Freedom of the Seas - nothing:mad:

And I suppose now you go around telling people what a "bad" TA she is/was right?? No mention of whether or not you enjoyed your cruises or if any piece of advice she gave you was helpful. Just "zippo" and "nothing".

We are relatively new travelers and have not yet used a travel agent. Although I know that there are many wonderful travel agents and experiences with those agents, the tone of some agent posters on this thread in particular does not encourage me to begin now.

It does not appear that using a travel agent would, for my husband and I, be worth either a lot of OBC/other perks or on the other hand, the attitude. If all the "advocating" on this thread is meant to encourage people to book with their local agents, I fear it has had the opposite effect on us. This has only cemented our decision to continue to book with RCL directly.

I am sure it is a difficult business, particularly for the "little man," but in this day and age that seems to be true for almost all lines of work (including our family's) - sad sometimes, but just a fact not worthy of lamenting over a dozen posts in a single workday.

I'm not trying to offend, and flame away if you'd like, but that's what turned me (and perhaps others) off on this thread to begin with.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful information on this board. Never mind that a good portion of it will probably be wrong. You will never know the difference if you waste a bunch of money or waste a lot of time anyway since this is all new to you.

Bon Voyage!

Let me know if I am wrong here. In the real estate business, if you take a client around to see 10 house in a weekend and then the following weekend, the same person goes to the real estate office down the street from you and asks to see the same houses and makes an offer with real estate agent number two, won't you step in and say, hold on now, I showed them that house last week before you did and then ask for your commission because it was you that showed it originally?

Funny you should say that because around here, the majority of reputable realtors require proof of mortgage approval or proof of funds before they even take the time to take you on as a client. They weed out the shoppers right off the bat.

The only travel parallel would be when travel agents charge a plan-to-go or research fee (which shows that the client is serious, and not just a tire-kicker).

Here's an example ... just got a call from a potential client wanting to book a 6 month trip around the world ... that is going to take a lot of time and research on my part. I cannot invest that much time if they are going to take my research and attempt to book the various airfares, hotels, rental cars, trains, etc. on their own ... this is a scenario that warrants a plan-to-go or research fee.

Let me know if I am wrong here. In the real estate business, if you take a client around to see 10 house in a weekend and then the following weekend, the same person goes to the real estate office down the street from you and asks to see the same houses and makes an offer with real estate agent number two, won't you step in and say, hold on now, I showed them that house last week before you did and then ask for your commission because it was you that showed it originally?

How would a realtor know necessarily that a potential client walked into a different real estate office and made an offer through them?

You used a totally different term that the other poster did. He said he was a real estate agent and you called him a realtor. Just because one sells real estate, does not make that person a realtor. It is similar in the travel industry. Unfortunately, we all get lumped in the same "travel agent". My education and training shows that I am a Certified Travel Counselor.

You used a totally different term that the other poster did. He said he was a real estate agent and you called him a realtor. Just because one sells real estate, does not make that person a realtor. It is similar in the travel industry. Unfortunately, we all get lumped in the same "travel agent". My education and training shows that I am a Certified Travel Counselor.

My mistake. I did lump them all together. Around here anyone who sells houses, requires some sort of "proof" on the financial side to show that you are a serious shopper, not someone just out for a Sunday stroll.

As stated earlier in this thread, the commission is not for the TOTAL cruise price. You have to knock off the port charges, taxes, and non-commissionable cruise fare portion (this can run around $160 per person on a 7 day cruise). So the agency is not making $630 off your cruise.

The NET AMOUNT for the cruise after deducting port taxes, yada yada $4200. they award 9% of the COMMISONABLE amount. Clear???

Actually, no, not clear. Because of the way TA's are supposed to price out cruises, you, as the consumer would not know the amount of NCFs (non-commissionable fees) unless you specifically asked your agent. As an agent, we see 3 things when we price a cruise--cruise-only which is commissionable, NCFs which many people refer to as port but which really includes whatever the cruiselines choose to include, and taxes/fees. We see that on our invoice. When we turn around and invoice you or send you the invoice directly from the cruiseline, it's not broken down like that--you get a cruise rate that has the NCFs included in and then you see the tax on a separate line. At least that's the most commonly accepted way to invoice. I'm not saying that your agent doesn't do it differently, but most consumers would really have no way of knowing what the "NET AMOUNT" is on their cruise.

In the example above, it was stated that this amount, meaning the total non-commissionables and taxes/fees, port charges, etc. could run around $160 per person on a 7 night cruise. No, realistically they would not. That would be a very high number for taxes/fees and way too low for a combination of NCFs & taxes. If you could find a cruise where the total NCFs and taxes together were only $160, book it because it's a very good deal.

That is done as a service for the clients so realtors do not waste the clients time on people that are not qualified. It is for the clients benefit NOT the realtors. :)

How would a realtor know necessarily that a potential client walked into a different real estate office and made an offer through them?

Real Estate agents talk. They could get info off of the Multiple Listing site. There are ways.

Only if the client signs an exclusive buyers agent agreement with the agency which basically is saying the client is contracting with that agent/agency to represent them in purchasing a home and even then they can go to any agent they want, that agent from another agency just gets a piece of the pie. Many agencys do not do this or clients do not want to sign a buyers agent contract and whoever sells the house gets the deal. Depending on the state and also agency policy there are several contracts dealing with buyers and sellers so it's too complicated to explain here but buyers can use any agent they want. They do not pay commissions, sellers do, so that is worked out between sellers and agency :) So like any commissioned based industry, whoever is the best agent is going to get the deal and the biggest piece of any commision. Agents negotiate commissions with sellers all the time to make a deal. Negotiating a commission between agent and seller is NOT considered rebating in the real estate industry. :)

Real Estate agents talk. They could get info off of the Multiple Listing site. There are ways.

Realtors talk and they do know but if there is NO signed contract between a buyer and agent, it's just a lost deal plain and simple. If a client has a buyers agent that must be disclosed to any other agent/agency that is showing that same client the house. The commission just gets split more. It's done all the time and it doesn't really effect the buyer as it's the seller paying the commission. Real estate is very complicated as there are so many laws that most be followed in each state to protect the consumer. But as far as negotiating commissions, thats just business and it's a real part of the industry:)

I just got back from EOS - got 2 bottles of wine, a cheese plate (no, not a platter) and a fruit bowl. We had a Superior Balcony - the people we ate dinner with had the lowest inside - and got exactly the same perks.

The TA we originally started with (or my friend started with) forgot to do some things she was supposed to...then started saying, "I mailed you this....I mailed that..." and nothing was ever recieved...so she never mailed them. My friend switched to another agent in the company - but only after the documents were in...so???

On another cruise - we were upgraded from AFT balconies - to a JS ... other than that, I have been on some where nothing is given, others wine. All the same agent.

I've always used a TA, because I feel it's not costing me any more and they just as well benifit from my cruise. They have usually been quite helpful. This year I booked from a larger agency on line for the perks they were offering. I also booked 6 other people besides my husband and I. WE have cruised the most and are Platium Members, so got $100 off our booking right off the bat, for booking a balcony cabin. I also had a $100 future cruise credit from their company. About a month ago the price went down $200. It was a hassle, but finally someone in their document department took the $200 off my cruise. Now I recieved a $50 savings certificate from RC, and my TA says she doesn't think I can use it, because I've already had a discount. She was going on vacation and didn't have time to check into it, so once again I'm given to the document department and after leaving several messages I finally speak to someone, who also tells me they aren't making enough on my cruise that they can honor the savings certificate. I remind them that I've booked 8 people on this cruise, 6 which are first time cruisers and have no discounts. He says he will check with supervisor and call back. It's been 5 days now and no phone call. I checked with RC and I am entitled to the savings certificate, so I guess I wait tell the TA gets back from vacation. I'm sure it will be a hassle! What I'm trying to say is I'm not sure if using a TA is worth all the hassle! One more thing is I've never received anything in writing saying that I'm getting the $100 Future Cruise Credit, which I mailed to the TA, and she said she received it, but wasn't sure how they were going to handle it. Talk about stressful!!

I've always used a TA, because I feel it's not costing me any more and they just as well benifit from my cruise. They have usually been quite helpful. This year I booked from a larger agency on line for the perks they were offering. I also booked 6 other people besides my husband and I. WE have cruised the most and are Platium Members, so got $100 off our booking right off the bat, for booking a balcony cabin. I also had a $100 future cruise credit from their company. About a month ago the price went down $200. It was a hassle, but finally someone in their document department took the $200 off my cruise. Now I recieved a $50 savings certificate from RC, and my TA says she doesn't think I can use it, because I've already had a discount. She was going on vacation and didn't have time to check into it, so once again I'm given to the document department and after leaving several messages I finally speak to someone, who also tells me they aren't making enough on my cruise that they can honor the savings certificate. I remind them that I've booked 8 people on this cruise, 6 which are first time cruisers and have no discounts. He says he will check with supervisor and call back. It's been 5 days now and no phone call. I checked with RC and I am entitled to the savings certificate, so I guess I wait tell the TA gets back from vacation. I'm sure it will be a hassle! What I'm trying to say is I'm not sure if using a TA is worth all the hassle! One more thing is I've never received anything in writing saying that I'm getting the $100 Future Cruise Credit, which I mailed to the TA, and she said she received it, but wasn't sure how they were going to handle it. Talk about stressful!!

You definitely need a better agency. I *never* have had the first problem with price reductions of any kind with my TA. She is always happy to apply them and is very prompt in doing so. I also get great OBC with her. On my last Med cruise, I had a standard balcony room (E-2) and I got $300 OBC, plus Platinum discount of $200, plus 3 additional price reductions. Along the way, the cost of my cruise dropped $700 pp and my OBC from the TA dropped down from $450 to $300, which I totally understood. Friends on the same cruise booked later than I did and the price of the cruise had gone back up. They received $500 OBC from the same TA I used.

There is no way I'd use a TA that gave me any sort of hassle over my credits and price reductions. I started feeling really bad about asking for them but my TA said, "Call me for any reason. I want to get you the price you deserve." Because of this, I send her a lot of business.

I think people shoud interview their agents if they are a new customer. Find out what their policy is for cancellations, price reductions, applying credits, etc. Since RCI stopped allowing TA's to discount the cruise price, perks are the only way a TA can give you a break. The TA is going to make money for the booking and you are going to obtain a few perks along the way.

Good luck with obtaining the credit that is DUE YOU. I am sorry this has turned into something stressful for you...shouldn't be that way at all.

I have used my online TA before but last time I had free travel insurance, this time (for jan 08) We are getting a $350 OBC. (plus $100 from RCI for booking while on board the last cruise) Anyway, I did have the TA send an email confirming all the OBC. If after a couple of days I don't see the OBC on the seapass acct can I give the copy of the email to the concierge and let him/her handle it or is this something I have to take myself to the Purser?

Negotiating a commission between agent and seller is NOT considered rebating in the real estate industry. :)

No, in real estate rebating is if there's an agreement from an agent to give a cash kick back (rebate) to a client (seller or buyer).

I think people shoud interview their agents if they are a new customer. Find out what their policy is for cancellations, price reductions, applying credits, etc. Since RCI stopped allowing TA's to discount the cruise price, perks are the only way a TA can give you a break. The TA is going to make money for the booking and you are going to obtain a few perks along the way.

I fully agree with interviewing prospective travel agents, as well as trusted friends for referrals. Would you go with the first CPA that you ran across? You go to any ol' hair stylist?

Archived