Maitre D Tipping?

Princess Victory

What is a good suggested tip to give the Maitre D, if you never have a reservation problem?

How many people actually tip the Maitre D?

What does the Maitre D do for you, besides greet you when you come in?

Do you write your name & cabin number on the envelope when you give it on the last night?

Thanks!

What is a good suggested tip to give the Maitre D, if you never have a reservation problem?

Do you write your name & cabin number on the envelope when you give it on the last night?

Thanks!

I've tipped a head waiter, never the matre de, but only on the last night with an envelope.

on our last cruise we tipped the matre D and head waiter... only because they were always so accommodating to our requests every night at Anytime Dining. We came with a group of 10 and they took care of us, one night we ate by ourselves they toock care of us, one night we were sat at a table for 4 and no one joined us so we asked to be moved to join some friends we saw just sat, also sitting alone, they took care of us.

If I remember we tipped them both $10

We were on the Sapphire for 29 days and chose anytime dining. The Maitre D always accommodated us and yes we tipped him. Forgot the amount but believe it was $35 or $40. We often asked for the same server and rewarded her as well for her outstanding service. I believe we should all appreciate those who serve us well. . . . . . . . . .

Two different experiences. Mediterranean was anytime dining with a group of 10. We had the same table and waiters and the head waiter went out of his way with special orders, etc. We gave a small tip to the MD and a larger one to the head waiter. We also gave extra to our waiter and busboy over and above auto tip.

Second trip - anytime dining seated at different tables each night - only 2 of us this time. MD and Head waiter really did nothing for us as we were in different dining rooms and tables each evening. No extra tips on this one as we felt that there had been no extra services. (Probably the first time we had not tipped the HW!)

I imagine that traditional seating would require extra to the waiter, busboy, HW and maybe the MD.

My answers below

Zero. I never have any special requests and the only time we ever seem to see him is at the end of the cruise.

Probably very few. On the last night I see lots of people walking past him... including me.

I don't even notice him doing that.

See answer #1.

Thanks!

Automatic Wage Subsidies to Maitre'D and Head waiters ? NIL, what do they do for you, done nothing for us..show ponies, tip the real workers your table waiter and cabin steward. I heard the Maitre'D on big ships with tips gets as much as the Captain, $100,000 per year. Easy job.

Cheers.:cool:

Not only did our friends who cruised with us on RCCL tip extra our waitstaff, they tipped the Maitre'D extra.

She had special dietary allergies that had to be addressed by the staff. Even though she sent in a special letter to RCCL beforehand about her allergies, she was asked to personally talk to the Maitre'D when we boarded the ship.

The Maitre'D came over to our table each and every night to make sure her dinner was properly cooked/prepared and went over the next night's menu with her. To make sure that the foods she was allergic too was not ordered.

One thing about the Maitre'D giving our friend such special/personal service each night, we also received it from him. So we, also gave him an extra tip.

On this next cruise on the Golden, this same friend with her DH are going with us. I am sure we will give an extra tip to the waitstaff again.......if we received just as special service as before because of her special needs.

I think in those cases, an extra tip is well in order for the waitstaff and Maitre'D of any ship.

Let me tell you how wonderful our Maitre D', Felipe, was in the Palm Dining Room (Anytime) on the CB this past March.

We loved our wait staff from the first night and wanted to sit with them for subsequent nights. We were told to call reservations each morning after 8:30. We did this and were seated each night at "our table". Come Thursday we forgot to call and this happened to be the night that crab legs were served. Everyone and their brother showed up for dinner! There was quite a crowd at the entrance and as we made our way to the front of the line my husband started to explain to Felipe that we had forgotten to call for reservations. He did not make his way through his sentence when Felipe waved us through the crowd to "our table". He must have known we would be there and it was waiting for us. Must admit we felt a little guilty when so many others were still waiting for a table....but we got over it quickly!

Do you think Felipe deserved and received a tip on our last night??? You'd better believe it! This was not the first time we tipped a Maitre D' but it was the first time we thought one really deserved it!

Archived