I feel dumb for asking...

Amaranthine33

I've been reading reviews about Alaska cruises. I have two questions.

1) My ship will be cruising Tracy Arms Fjord from 7am-Noon. I'm bringing an alarm clock so I can catch a good spot, but will there be any announcements on the PA system?

2) Some reviews speak of a naturalist. What does that mean? Is there someone who gives lectures while cruising? That would be cool. Do I have to sign up for these lectures?

The only other cruise that I've been on is with RCCL on Monarch to Ensenada. There wasn't much nature to see and I don't remember the Captain or anyone else making annoucements of the PA system.

Sorry for my naivete! Thanks!

I just returned from a "destination lecturer" stint on the Radiance. I did three presentations on Alaska topics, each lasting one hour. I also was on the bow when we were at Hubbard Glacier and also mingled with the passengers answering any and all questions I could on Alaska.

Programs are listed in the ship's daily announcement when you get in the evening announcing the next day's activities. There were always plenty of seats.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I'll get the ball rolling and maybe someone else will chime in. If you don't get replies, you might want to go over to the Princess board, as there are a LOT of Alaska cruisers on that board.

What ship are you on? Knowing that might help people respond. I think things like whether there are announcements and whether there is a naturalist on board for certain parts of the cruise depend on the cruise line. I think (but not positive) that a naturalist always comes on board in Glacier Bay, but in other areas, I'm not sure.

Anyway, hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will respond. (And no, there are NO dumb questions!!!)

I don't know what RCLL does...but would assume it is the same...on Princess the naturalist gave lectures in the theater...very interesting...& he gave commentary over the PA system as we sailed Tracy Arm. It is a must to have a commentary...great info...we watched from our balcony...turned the TV ( where his commentary came thru) loud...& listened to him explain as we sailed Tracy Arm.

Have a great trip:)

Most cruise lines will have the naturalist talk about what you are seeing over the outside PA system.

Good idea to bring an alarm clock. You can also call to schedule a wake up call as you would do in a hotel.

Keith

RCI does narrate Tracy Arm, usually. I would be up earlier than your posted time. Actually all the sailing area to get there is loaded with scenery. So If it were me :), I would be up and out 1/2 hour before dawn. And stay out after leaving the Arm.

If there are any programs, they will be listed in your "newsletter" placed in your room every night. You just show up. :)

I don't know what RCLL does...but would assume it is the same...on Princess the naturalist gave lectures in the theater...very interesting...& he gave commentary over the PA system as we sailed Tracy Arm. It is a must to have a commentary...great info...we watched from our balcony...turned the TV ( where his commentary came thru) loud...& listened to him explain as we sailed Tracy Arm.

Have a great trip:)

Just curious: Were you on the northbound Princess cruise? We're scheduled to cruise Tracy Arm 5 AM to 10 AM (ugh...even for an early riser like me!) so I was planning to get up early. However, is the whole time scenic, or if I sleep in a bit, will I be able to catch what I missed on the way out? Do you think the naturalist wil be on the ship at 5AM with us? The naturalist isn't on board the ship the whole time, is he/she?

Just curious: Were you on the northbound Princess cruise? We're scheduled to cruise Tracy Arm 5 AM to 10 AM (ugh...even for an early riser like me!) so I was planning to get up early. However, is the whole time scenic, or if I sleep in a bit, will I be able to catch what I missed on the way out? Do you think the naturalist wil be on the ship at 5AM with us? The naturalist isn't on board the ship the whole time, is he/she?

Yes the naturalist is on the ship the whole season with Princess. And yes, if you wish not to be up early, Tracy Arm is a dead end so you do repeat your route.

Also with you being from MD, and "on" EST. The 4 hour difference with Alaska time works out perfectly with the early rising. 5am=9am at home. I generally, do stay on EST when in Alaska, I never change my watch and get pretty good at subtracting by the end of the cruise. :) :) :)

Archived