What is NCL like?

I'll keep looking for all those unhappy crew members. I haven't found one yet but if you say they are there, I'll keep looking.:rolleyes:

We ate in the specialty restaurants every night on the NCL Jewel and thought the service was fine. We did feel the portions were smaller than on Royal. Can't comment on the main dining rooms because we didn't eat in there at all. Very dressed down relaxed atmosphere. For the first time in my life I didn't bring a suit on a cruise. Since NCL has self service laundry's I could pack a lot lighter which was nice.

I sailed on two NCL ships (Spirit and Dawn) and enjoyed both. Found the food to be comparable to any other cruise line (RCCL, Celebrity, Princess and Carnival). And didn't have to wait to be seated in the main dining rooms (except for a short wait on lobster night). Currently, NCL only allows you to make dinner reservations in the specialty restaurants for the current day and the next day, so you don't have to try to figure out what you might want to eat for the entire week on the first day - if you choose to try the specialty restaurants (and many passengers do not).

I didn't see any discernable difference in the service either. The wait staff was prompt and courteous, the bar staff was very friendly (LOL) and the cabin stewards changed the sheets and towels, left mints on the pillows at turn down and created the occasional towel animal to delight the child in me. Nothing more or less than any other cruise line experience.

We ate in the specialty restaurants every night on the NCL Jewel and thought the service was fine. We did feel the portions were smaller than on Royal. Can't comment on the main dining rooms because we didn't eat in there at all. Very dressed down relaxed atmosphere. For the first time in my life I didn't bring a suit on a cruise. Since NCL has self service laundry's I could pack a lot lighter which was nice.

Kewlguy - I think you have said it best throughout the whole thread! We have become Loyal to Royal due to the convenience of their embarcation ports.

That being said - each line has it's own signature approach and people will like it or they won't. When we cruise, we cruise for the experience and to meet people. We have cruised alone several times and with groups several times.

To us, it's all about being on the ship and going places in the world that we would otherwise not see. We make the best of our vacations, be it a cruise, Disney, Poconos, a camping trip or aimless drive to somewhere. The whole idea in my humble opinion is to be on vacation. To do what you want to and don't try doing the things that annoy you.

Somethings can be out of our control and that is when we chose to not let the little things ruin the whole experience. As I said, you have said it best throughout this whole thread :cool:

Kewlguy - I think you have said it best throughout the whole thread! We have become Loyal to Royal due to the convenience of their embarcation ports.

That being said - each line has it's own signature approach and people will like it or they won't. When we cruise, we cruise for the experience and to meet people. We have cruised alone several times and with groups several times.

To us, it's all about being on the ship and going places in the world that we would otherwise not see. We make the best of our vacations, be it a cruise, Disney, Poconos, a camping trip or aimless drive to somewhere. The whole idea in my humble opinion is to be on vacation. To do what you want to and don't try doing the things that annoy you.

Somethings can be out of our control and that is when we chose to not let the little things ruin the whole experience. As I said, you have said it best throughout this whole thread :cool:

Thank you for the kind words. The check is in the mail. :D

We've sailed both RCI (platinum C&A) and NCL (bronze, second cruise coming up in a few weeks) and our first cruise was on CCL when we didn't know better; we did become addicted on that first cruise so it wasn't that horrible ;) . We choose RCI for our big holiday, when we're travelling with friends and family and NCL when travelling just the two of us. RCI is ideal for family trips: loads of facilities for both young and old, great entertainment, enormous ships so you don't HAVE to run into eachother when you don't want to :D , beautiful dining rooms were you can really dine as a family, and we've been lucky in that our wait staff has been that good that they become honorary family members by the end of all our cruises so far!

When travelling as a couple we prefer Norwegian as you're much more flexible in your dining options; you have far more tables for two at the specialty restaurants and even the pay-extra ones are quite reasonable if you only have to pay for two people. I have to say, the quality of the food in the specialty restaurants we've been to on NCL far surpasses anything we've had on RCI, even at Portofino and Chops. If I have to pick one, I would say that the French bistro restaurant on Norwegian Jewel on last year's cruise offered some of the best food we've had, ever, both on sea and on land.

In short, both RCI and NCL offer wonderful cruise experiences, but chose which one to pick carefully based on the kind of vacation you're looking for (family v couple).

They WERE on the Norwegian Sea. Not sure where they are now.:)

Maybe retired if they were on the Norwegian Sea.:D I thought we were talking about something recent. I know it's only been a few years but that's old time history when you look at how much all the cruise lines have changed since the Sea left service for NCL.

I was on RCI with some long time RCI cruisers last year who complain the whole trip about how much service had declined on RCI. Believe me, the service was fine. It was just a tad slower as RCI had reduced the crew slightly and added more duties for those left but it was still good. You had to look close to see the difference but to this couple, it was horrible.

Sometimes, people see what they WANT to see instead of what it really is.

Ready to book my next cruise and did look into ncl and costa their prices are dirt cheap. however I'm a RCCL nut. I'm not sure I like the freestyle cruising I like my set table, time and waiters. And I love formal nites and handing out my tips at the last day. The low prices on ncl and costa do make me think about giving them a try. :confused: I think in a few days after all the thinking I will end up booking RCCL. Even though RCCL will cost $1,400. more than costa and ncl. :eek:

I guess you get what you pay for in life. :D

We just sailed NCL and I wouldn't sail with them again.

Service and food quality is no where near RCI

1) Rooms were made once a day, thus the ice was melted by the end of the day.

2) Kids club is not as good, not much to do for the 10 -12 year olds. There was only one check-in area for the kids for all ages, so this took 20 -30 minutes to check them in after dinner.

3) Waking up at 6:45am to make reservations for dinner is not my idea of a vacation. If you waited and tried to walk in to a restaurant, you would never get in, they are always full.

We really enjoy the traditional dining, formal nights and kids clubs on RCI. We booked NCL because of the itinerary, some might prefer the freestyle/casual dining and atmosphere, but it isn't for us.

We just sailed NCL and I wouldn't sail with them again.

Service and food quality is no where near RCI

1) Rooms were made once a day, thus the ice was melted by the end of the day.

2) Kids club is not as good, not much to do for the 10 -12 year olds. There was only one check-in area for the kids for all ages, so this took 20 -30 minutes to check them in after dinner.

3) Waking up at 6:45am to make reservations for dinner is not my idea of a vacation. If you waited and tried to walk in to a restaurant, you would never get in, they are always full.

We really enjoy the traditional dining, formal nights and kids clubs on RCI. We booked NCL because of the itinerary, some might prefer the freestyle/casual dining and atmosphere, but it isn't for us.

Excuse me but you did not sail on NCL. You sailed on NCLA. Two different cruise lines. Just like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

cruiserke;10889673']We've sailed both RCI (platinum C&A) and NCL (bronze' date=' second cruise coming up in a few weeks) and our first cruise was on CCL when we didn't know better; we did become addicted on that first cruise so it wasn't that horrible ;) . We choose RCI for our big holiday, when we're travelling with friends and family and NCL when travelling just the two of us. RCI is ideal for family trips: loads of facilities for both young and old, great entertainment, enormous ships so you don't HAVE to run into eachother when you don't want to :D , beautiful dining rooms were you can really dine as a family, and we've been lucky in that our wait staff has been that good that they become honorary family members by the end of all our cruises so far!

When travelling as a couple we prefer Norwegian as you're much more flexible in your dining options; you have far more tables for two at the specialty restaurants and even the pay-extra ones are quite reasonable if you only have to pay for two people. I have to say, the quality of the food in the specialty restaurants we've been to on NCL far surpasses anything we've had on RCI, even at Portofino and Chops. If I have to pick one, I would say that the French bistro restaurant on Norwegian Jewel on last year's cruise offered some of the best food we've had, ever, both on sea and on land.

In short, both RCI and NCL offer wonderful cruise experiences, but chose which one to pick carefully based on the kind of vacation you're looking for (family v couple).[/quote']

I think this is a very good point. We went as a couple and never had to wait for a table at any restaurant. And...it was always a table for 2...we never were seated with another group. If there had been 6 or more of us for each meal, it probably would have been harder to get a table. I agree that if you are going as a large group, than the traditional dining of Royal may be a better choice. If you want to have some fun with choosing where to have dinner and going as a couple (or small group) than NCL is a good fit. BTW...we thought the food was wonderful on the Dawn.

I think if you choose NCL expecting a Traditional Cruise setting, you may be disappointed. If you choose it to see what else the cruise industry has to offer, you will enjoy the experience.

I have posted this a few times a few different ways: Our 1st cruise on NCL was on the Dawn 11-05. NO complaints except for weather. Freestyle dining is great. Great staff, good food, many choices, and did not ever have to wait long for a table (Sometimes it's great to dine just with 2) Next cruise on the Spirit 11-06. Weather was THE BEST. Most everything else was sub par to terrible. Spirit is tired. (Shabby, worn carpet throughout ship, not real clean, public restrooms and trash recepticles seemed like they were not cleaned very often). Breakfast in raffles was a zoo. (Omlette stations were placed at the end of the buffet line and everthing just backed up.) The staff was tired. They did not seem happy, like they were forced to be there and they did not hide their feelings well. I hate to say it but we requested our mandatory tips that were put on our bill refunded.(It was that bad!) We did tip some staff who we feel did a good job. NCL does have some great itineraries Dominica, Grenada, etc.

Spirit turned my better half off so much that we are trying EOS 11-07 for 12 nights. Everyone claims the ship is great. I will weigh in if this thread is still active.

Joe

Excuse me but you did not sail on NCL. You sailed on NCLA. Two different cruise lines. Just like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

Right on. I know some like to lump them together because they share the same web site and CC board but they are different.

On NCLA, you have mostly a young American crew who are doing this for a lark, or a chance to spend time in Hawaii, or to save some money before going on to other things, or whatever. Most are not planning on making it a career.

On NCL, like RCI and the others, you have an International crew where this is their career. They are not only trying to make a living but also trying to make a better life for a family back home. They have a much different goal so therefore, you will have a very different experience.

For the record, I found the American crew refreshing and friendly. But it's not NCL.

NCLPrincess, I'll be on the Mariner this December and I see you are going next summer -- I'll be sure to write up a review for you!

Please do! I'm really excited to try RCCL out. I admit that (prior to doing some research) I was one of the hypocrits that told people not to sail on RCCL (because of what others said) but I think that I am more excited about this cruise than any other in the past.

Once again, I'm sorry that I came off so hard, and I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise on the Mariner.

Maybe retired if they were on the Norwegian Sea.:D I thought we were talking about something recent. I know it's only been a few years but that's old time history when you look at how much all the cruise lines have changed since the Sea left service for NCL.

I was on RCI with some long time RCI cruisers last year who complain the whole trip about how much service had declined on RCI. Believe me, the service was fine. It was just a tad slower as RCI had reduced the crew slightly and added more duties for those left but it was still good. You had to look close to see the difference but to this couple, it was horrible.

Sometimes, people see what they WANT to see instead of what it really is.

I guess I don't understand the 'sometimes people see what they WANT to see' remark. I wanted to see a great first cruise. I wanted to experience what I'd read about. Maybe I just expected too much? I did think that at first but after going on other cruises I realized I wasn't expecting too much. There really are cruise lines out there that excel in customer service. There really are cruise lines out there that treat their guests with respect. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that is what most people want to see/experience on a cruise. I agree with posts that have said 'a cruise is what you make it.' You can have fun even on a not so good cruise. It's just a whole lot easier to have fun on a great cruise. You don't have to work so hard and really, isn't that what a vacation is about? Relaxing and not working. I think probably every cruise has it's pros and cons. It's up to each individual to sort them out. :)

I guess I don't understand the 'sometimes people see what they WANT to see' remark. I wanted to see a great first cruise. I wanted to experience what I'd read about. Maybe I just expected too much? I did think that at first but after going on other cruises I realized I wasn't expecting too much. There really are cruise lines out there that excel in customer service. There really are cruise lines out there that treat their guests with respect. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that is what most people want to see/experience on a cruise. I agree with posts that have said 'a cruise is what you make it.' You can have fun even on a not so good cruise. It's just a whole lot easier to have fun on a great cruise. You don't have to work so hard and really, isn't that what a vacation is about? Relaxing and not working. I think probably every cruise has it's pros and cons. It's up to each individual to sort them out. :)

I do apologize if you thought that remark was directed at you and can see now that it might look that way. It wasn't intended for you. It was directed at those I was sailing with on that cruise plus some in general. Again, sorry if I offended you.

I do apologize if you thought that remark was directed at you and can see now that it might look that way. It wasn't intended for you. It was directed at those I was sailing with on that cruise plus some in general. Again, sorry if I offended you.

No problem. I can agree with you that some people always look for the bad. After working hard to save enough money to cruise I'm looking for the good. The work part is bad the cruise part should be good. :) Pretty much if I'm on the ocean with a drink in my hand, life is good! Not much ocean here in Missouri and NCL nor RCCL cruise the Missouri river. HA

They WERE on the Norwegian Sea. Not sure where they are now

I'm an NCL fan, but when I saw this line I had to respond. I sailed twice on the NCL Sea and never, EVER, saw an unhappy crew member. I'm sure they existed, but we had the best waitresses and room stewards on those two cruises. Even thought the ship was small and older, it was what got us hooked on cruising.

Personally, I love freestyle dining. I don't like the idea of assigned tablemates, I don't want a set dining schedule, and I'm not interested in having to meet someone else's standard of what appropriate dress is. On NCL, I can dine happily in my khaki pants and a nice shirt the entire week if I want, without having to pack all the formal attire. If I want to "dress up", I feel very comfortable in a long black skirt and sweater top -- no need at all for a cocktail or formal dress.

One of these years I'll probably have to try a different line, as I'm sure that sooner or later I'll exhaust the NCL itineraries. Until then, however, I'm very happy staying with a line that fits my way of living to a "T".

I'm an NCL fan, but when I saw this line I had to respond. I sailed twice on the NCL Sea and never, EVER, saw an unhappy crew member. I'm sure they existed, but we had the best waitresses and room stewards on those two cruises. Even thought the ship was small and older, it was what got us hooked on cruising.

Personally, I love freestyle dining. I don't like the idea of assigned tablemates, I don't want a set dining schedule, and I'm not interested in having to meet someone else's standard of what appropriate dress is. On NCL, I can dine happily in my khaki pants and a nice shirt the entire week if I want, without having to pack all the formal attire. If I want to "dress up", I feel very comfortable in a long black skirt and sweater top -- no need at all for a cocktail or formal dress.

One of these years I'll probably have to try a different line, as I'm sure that sooner or later I'll exhaust the NCL itineraries. Until then, however, I'm very happy staying with a line that fits my way of living to a "T".

Glad you had a good experience on the NCL Sea. The dress descriptions you gave would be perfectly acceptable on RCCL or Disney. Other than NCL these are the 2 cruise lines I've been on so I'm hardly an expert.:) Maybe they wouldn't be appropriate for HAL? Don't know since I haven't cruised them. On Disney and RCCL I saw many people dressed as you described. I think you would feel comfortable there. Not trying to say you shouldn't cruise NCL. Just don't want people to not try other cruises because they think they might not have appropriate attire. I saw very few formal dresses.

I was interested to read this thread because my mom would like to take a family cruise to Hawaii in the summer of 2009. Since we have to travel when school is out, we're pretty much limited to the NCLA ships.

I posted over on the NCL board, but it hasn't gotten much response, so I'll ask my question again here...For those of you who have cruised with NCL in Hawaii, what comments (positive and negative) do you have about the ship, dining, and the itinerary. I'm especially interested in how cabins compare to Royal Caribbean's, and how difficult or easy it is to make dining reservations with a large group. I'm less concerned with on-board entertainment, especially during the day...my thought is this cruise would be more about the ports than on-board entertainment.

I was interested to read this thread because my mom would like to take a family cruise to Hawaii in the summer of 2009. Since we have to travel when school is out, we're pretty much limited to the NCLA ships.

I posted over on the NCL board, but it hasn't gotten much response, so I'll ask my question again here...For those of you who have cruised with NCL in Hawaii, what comments (positive and negative) do you have about the ship, dining, and the itinerary. I'm especially interested in how cabins compare to Royal Caribbean's, and how difficult or easy it is to make dining reservations with a large group. I'm less concerned with on-board entertainment, especially during the day...my thought is this cruise would be more about the ports than on-board entertainment.

I’ve been on the NCLA ships twice and have enjoyed my cruises, but then, I do enjoy freestyle.

It’s kind of hard to give you an answer because of the 2009 date. A long time off considering how fast changes happen. As far as the itinerary, it’s the best, especially for those who enjoy shore time. 96 hours in a week in port. This makes the Hawaiian Islands the Star of the cruise. Two overnight, one in Kauai and one in Maui.

As far as the ships, you most likely will find the cabins smaller than you are use to on RCI but very functional. I guess you’ve noticed the hull art. Some say it’s gaudy but I kind of like it. It’s also easy to tell the NCL ship when docked around others. You don’t have to ask. LOL. For the most part, the décor is low key but does have some spots that shout out..

As far as the American crew, I found them friendly and hard working but they are short handed right now which does cause some long time cruisers some problem if you don’t see how they do things a little different. Like you most likely will not see your cabin attendant the first day. So you have to know to call housekeeping for anything you need changed that first day and don’t expect an immediate response. It will most likely be taken care of that night. They bring in some day help on embarkation day while yours is taking time off or helping with luggage. This may change when they pull the POH in January. Two ships instead of three may help solve the crew shortage.

Dining reservation may or may not be the same by the time you go. If anyone in your party is in a Penthouse or above, no problems. They can make them through the concierge for the whole party. Lower cabins has been making reservations the first day with them filling up fast. Now the ships seem to be only letting you make the reservations one day in advance, which means getting on the phone or in line at 7:00 AM. If your party is over 10, you can makes reservations for the main dining rooms but may be limited to certain times. Most tables are set for two, four, and six, but a number of tables can fit 8-10.

For those of us who enjoy freestyle, we can enjoy it but even so, it is different than even the regular NCL ships. For those who like traditional dining, it is best to look at it as a floating hotel that moves to different setting while you sleep. Think of it as a land based vacation on water. That may serve you better.

And don’t forget, no casino and no bingo as Hawaii does not permit gambling.

Hope this helps.

In every way except itinerary (Ship, Crew, food, Entertainment) NCL was by far the worst for my wife and I. Petty and unprofessional, NCL was.

Yes, they are cheaper, I guess you get what you pay for.

Never again for us

Archived