What is NCL like?

I LOVE RCI, have gone on one Carnival ship (not really my cup of tea), so I'm wondering where NCL falls? Is it more like Carnival or RCI? They have some pretty good deals on their website...

Just wondering what fellow Royal Caribbean travelers think of this line..?:rolleyes:

When we sailed NCL (many years ago) it was wonderful. We haven't been back because we hear it is awful now. I guess you'll have to take your chances, but I heard from friends who cruised NCL recently, that it's not as good as RCI....that's for sure.

As you can see from my signature, I'm a bit of an NCL loyalist, but like to cruise as many lines as I can. Based on my previous experience, Princess in tops in my book. I put NCL, RCI, and Carnival about on par with eachother with each line havins some advantages and disadvantages.

My last cruise on NCL was two years ago on the Dawn and I really enjoyed myself. The ship is not too large, and is decorated nicely, if not a bit garish in some areas. Food was good in the main dining rooms, excellent in the specialty restaurants. I will say, that I felt that the dining room service on the Dawn was a bit subpar compared to what I have experienced on other lines and even on other NCL cruises. Cabins are of a good size with excellently designed bathrooms (Star class ships).

My only RCI experience that I can use in comparison was on Enchantment (Explorer coming up soon), which I thought was a beautiful ship with excellent service. Rooms were a bit small, particularly the bathroom (I'm 6'2). Food in Windjammer was good, not exceptional, and I found the dining room food to be a notch below NCL.

If I were you, I would take a chance on NCL, but with a few words of caution...

-Try to book a newer ship (Dawn, Star, Spirit, Gem, Pearl, etc.) and avoid the older ships (Dream, Majesty, etc.). I say this because even though the ships themselves are fine, they don't really work as well with freestyle cruising as the newbuilds to because they weren't built for freestyle...which leads me to point two...

-Remember that you will have open seating and a less formal atmosphere. Many times this means somewhat sloppy dress in the dining room by "less civilized" passengers (no offense intended). There are occasional wait times if you go to eat at peak times (between 6 and 7:30) but it does allow for more flexibility in your schedule. (I have come to really enjoy NCL's Freestyle and Princess' Personal Choice)

One other benefit with NCL is the NCL Bank of America Master Card. You recieve 3 points for every $100 spent on normal purchases and 4 points for every $100 spent on NCL purchases. You can accumulate up to 1000 points per year, up to three years before your points begin to expire. Therefore, 3000 points after three years = $3000 dollars in cruise credits (We go almost for free on NCL every three years.)

Hope this helps and if you have any more specific questions, I'd be glad to ask.

jscruise

I think NCL falls in between Carnival and RCL. It is much more relaxed - you don't have to dress up at all on NCL, not even on formal night - they now have one dining room for people who want to dress up on formal night and the rest for those who don't.

There is no fixed seating dining, you eat when you want where you want.

The service isn't as good as RCL (or Princess, Celebrity, etc), especially if you do the ships in Hawaii with the American crews.

But I think it's a bit better than Carnival. And if you want a relaxed cruise, you'll like NCL.

Thanks! The ship I have looked at so far is the Star, so it is one of the newer ships. I kind of like the freestyle dining concept..something different.

As for the bathrooms, thanks for the tip...my hubby is a big guy and 6'2" also and he hates the bathrooms on RCI. We did find the Carnival bathrooms to be a bit bigger (as well as the cabins).

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Never again. I would not say they have gone down hill, that would imply a gentle slope, more like jumped off the cliff.

Tips are auto billed, ask your self why.

Two reasons:

1- So many of those folks buying those special deals are too cheap to tip

and

2-Service levels are down so folks would prefer to reduce or withhold tips and NCL can't keep crew when they are getting reduced income due to poor service or cheapskates.

Never again.

Just a few examples....

Remember NCL's Dive In Program? Gone! Those poor guys no longer work the snorkel or dive tours, they now get to run pool games and work the Tour desk.

Food quality? Not even in the same league with Carnival or RCI

I LOVE RCI, have gone on one Carnival ship (not really my cup of tea), so I'm wondering where NCL falls? Is it more like Carnival or RCI? They have some pretty good deals on their website...

Just wondering what fellow Royal Caribbean travelers think of this line..?:rolleyes:

NCL is not like RCCL or Carnival. "Freestyle Cruising" is a unique dining experience. Some people love it and some hate it. Everyone has a strong opinion about it one way or the other. We prefer Royal but wouldn't hesitate to cruise on one of NCL's newer ships for a change of pace.

I agree. Never again with NCL. We did the inaugaural season on the Pride of Aloha. It was the worse service we have ever received. The American crew did not know how to treat the passengers. Several of them were quitting and walking off at each port. As a result, everything suffered, food, cleanliness, etc.

We like RCL very much.

Never again. I would not say they have gone down hill, that would imply a gentle slope, more like jumped off the cliff.

Tips are auto billed, ask your self why.

Two reasons:

1- So many of those folks buying those special deals are too cheap to tip

and

2-Service levels are down so folks would prefer to reduce or withhold tips and NCL can't keep crew when they are getting reduced income due to poor service or cheapskates.

Never again.

Just a few examples....

Remember NCL's Dive In Program? Gone! Those poor guys no longer work the snorkel or dive tours, they now get to run pool games and work the Tour desk.

Food quality? Not even in the same league with Carnival or RCI

I agree Royal has the edge in food but we didn't feel the service on NCL suffered due to the automatic tipping. Of course we've only cruised with NCL once so if things have changed since October 2005 then the next time we sail with NCL you'll be sure to hear about it from me when I return. One big advantage NCL has over Royal is the self service laundry facilities as well as the Garden Villa's and Courtyard Villa's. Royal has nothing to compare with that.

I agree. Never again with NCL. We did the inaugaural season on the Pride of Aloha. It was the worse service we have ever received. The American crew did not know how to treat the passengers. Several of them were quitting and walking off at each port. As a result, everything suffered, food, cleanliness, etc.

We like RCL very much.

NCL America is not NCL. Please don't confuse the two cruise lines. Totally different cruise experience.

When we sailed NCL (many years ago) it was wonderful. We haven't been back because we hear it is awful now. I guess you'll have to take your chances, but I heard from friends who cruised NCL recently, that it's not as good as RCI....that's for sure.

Trust me, I love Royal but it's really not that big of a difference.

Kewl Guy has it correct:

"Trust me, I love Royal but it's really not that big of a difference."

We have sailed on NCL Leeward, NCL Sun and NCL Sky, they were three wonderful cruises! We did like Freestyle Dining (no flames please). But, at the same time, we have met many, many, wonderful dining guests on RCCL with whom we still stay in contact. NCL is not so bad. NCL America, not sure.

Rick and Deirdra

Why were you thinking of giving NCL a try? Just for something new? I haven't been on Carnival so can't compare it to RCL. I've been on 2 NCL cruises and both were not so good. The service on RCL was so much better. Anytime dining was OK but didn't make up for all the other problems on NCL.

Well Tony, Rick, & Deirdra...We might just go ahead and give it another try then. I WOULD like to get that NCL credit card because I know they give you a lot for using it, plus NCL keeps sending us the little mini brochures in the mail and the deals are unbelievable. :eek: Glad to hear it's still worthwhile sailing that line! :)

I've sailed the Norwegian Star twice and loved it...and I'm Platinum on RCCL, soon to be Diamond, so you know I love RCCL too. ;)

We really enjoy the Freestyle concept for dining, and having LOTS of good choices for dinner each night. It's nice to have the variety of the different cuisines available...Asian, Italian, French, steakhouse, etc. Yes, there are surcharges in some of the specialty restaurants (the best ones, quite frankly) but it's worth it.

We found the Star crew to be outstanding overall...certainly on par with RCCL.

I am a big proponent of people TRYING other cruise lines, even if they have a strong affinity for one. It's like when my daughter was younger...you never KNOW if you're going to like a certain food or not unless you TRY it, right? :D

You'll always find people that love or hate a certain cruise line or ship. Try for yourself, have an open mind, and decide on your own.

I have sailed NCL in 2000 and 2004 to Alaska and loved the trip.....my last 3 cruises have been with RCI to the warmer destinations....WE LOVE CRUISING......the ONLY....and I mean ONLY difference I noticed was the food....Personally I think RCI has NCL beat on the TASTE of the food hands down, now if you talk to my hubby he thought the food was equal...

It is subjective....but you wont know unless you try it for yourself....we are actually about to book another NCL cruise for January 2008......our very next is AOS 8/12....three weeks away!

Happy Sailing!:)

NCL is not like RCCL or Carnival. "Freestyle Cruising" is a unique dining experience. Some people love it and some hate it. .

I'd fall into the 'hate' category. You are suppose to eat whenever you want BUT breakfast was being taken away at 10 am! They put some left over breakfast food into a smaller room. The buffet food was ok if you like Sizzler food and the dining room was nothing special. And there were long lines to get into the buffet at lunchtime too.

I still think Carnival has the best food and balconies from the ships we've been on. RC has the best atmosphere and NCL had the most drawer space. :eek:

Next cruise for us will be Royal Caribbean.

My sister and I sailed NCL Spirit last March out of NY..we did a "trial NCL" (at a good price for a balcony) because we had booked Pride of America for Hawaii with our husbands for the following January and wanted to see what it was like..

In two words or less.."It sucked." We cancelled the Hawaii cruise as soon as we came home and were really glad that we did it from NY with no air vs spending a lot more $$ on a Hawaii cruise...

We had fun because we are sisters and spent the week together but the experience on NCL left a lot to be desired and I'd never sail them again!!! Of course it wasn't all negative but it's just not my cup of tea..

Pam

Well Tony, Rick, & Deirdra...We might just go ahead and give it another try then. I WOULD like to get that NCL credit card because I know they give you a lot for using it, plus NCL keeps sending us the little mini brochures in the mail and the deals are unbelievable. :eek: Glad to hear it's still worthwhile sailing that line! :)

Our NCL cruise next February on the Gem will be practically for free. We are using our points from the NCL credit card. Best cruise credit card out there, bar none. Although I did forget to mention Royal's loyalty program is head and shoulders better than NCL's. So as you can see each cruise line has it's pluses and minuses. Do we feel Royal has the overall edge? Yes. Is there a big difference between the two lines? Not really. Of course another important factor when choosing a cruise and cruise line is the all important itinerary. And price of course. I'm just glad we have so many choices of different cruise lines. Competition is the consumers friend. Can you imagine what we would be paying for a cruise if we had only one cruise line to choose from? I would hate to think about it.

My sister and I sailed NCL Spirit last March out of NY..we did a "trial NCL" (at a good price for a balcony) because we had booked Pride of America for Hawaii with our husbands for the following January and wanted to see what it was like..

In two words or less.."It sucked." We cancelled the Hawaii cruise as soon as we came home and were really glad that we did it from NY with no air vs spending a lot more $$ on a Hawaii cruise...

We had fun because we are sisters and spent the week together but the experience on NCL left a lot to be desired and I'd never sail them again!!! Of course it wasn't all negative but it's just not my cup of tea..

Pam

That is pretty much how we feel, we did NCL Dawn and had fun in ports and just being with our friends, but would not do it again unless it were free or the only choice available.

Thanks OP - This turned out to be a good thread. We sailed on NCL on the Dream in 96'. It was our 1st cruise and we thought a lot of things were done very odd (like draining the pool on the hottest day of the cruise to do ice sculptures). We still had a good time due to the people we went with and met onboard but stayed away from cruising for about 5 years.

Anyway, we are planning on giving them another try when the Majesty sails from Baltimore. We understand that the Majesty is similar to the Dreamward before it was stretched. We also know that the newer ships will be more accommodating to the "freestyle" style. I have learned a lot from all the posters to this thread about things I have been wondering about. It just works out very well for us leaving from Baltimore. Baltimore just can't accommodate the large ships due to the Key Bridge.

We have only sailed with NCL, Celebrity and RCI. We have become loyal to RCI and are cruising the Empress 9/1/07 and planning for the Explorer in 08'. Our favorite cruise however was on the Celebrity Galaxy. It really had nothing to do with the cruiseline itself. It just happened to be one of those vacations where everything, and I mean everything, was just picture perfect.

Getting ready to cruise on the Explorer at the end of the week. Did our first Norwegian in may. It was on Norwegian Jewel. The itinerary was not to be believed. Greece, Egypt and Turkey. That was the only thing that was outstanding. The food was ordinary and most of the entertainment as well. It was our first experience with Norwegian. The ship was pretty but not outstanding. The larger ships on RCCL are not to be believed. The promenade, ice skating rink etc. Also like the assigned seating on RCCL. That being said I am not bringing teens and children with us and from posts I have been reading it seems that the kids are getting out of control. Last summer on the Crown Princess saw questionable okay more than questionable behavior from teens and young college students. I hate to be negative but if you do not want that maybe you should watch the time of the year and the itinerary of the cruise. Never have seen such a thing on Celebrity or for the matter on our only NCL cruise.

Archived