Best Way To Pack Formal Wear

kiraryker

I have never traveled with a formal dress & suit - what is the best way to pack this? Also we will be sailing Carnival Destiny in January - do they have irons or steamers in the rooms?

If anyone knows how many formal nights do they have and are they both dressy??

Thanks

No irons or steamers are provided in the cabins, but I understand Carnival does have laundry rooms on some of their ships. Perhaps you can ask this question (or search, it's frequently asked :) ) on their board.

I pack our formal stuff in dry cleaner bags, sometimes one inside, one over the top. If you have to fold the skirt portion of your dress over a second hanger, use an additional dry cleaner bag there as well.

We use a garment bag for our formal wear but many people put it on the top of the pile in their suitcase. The key to no wrinkles is to not squish the clothes and to pack firmly enough so they don't shift and settle into wrinkles. For our daytime clothes, we use packing folders for this purpose.

Some use Downey Wrinkle Release. I've never thought it was all that effective, but many do like it. Make sure to test it out on your fabric ahead of time, in an inconspicuous place, to make sure it doesn't spot. I'm not happy with the fragrance of it and I like a well pressed look, the stuff kind of gets out wrinkles, but not anywhere close to a nice press. I personally think you could get the same results with plain water misted lightly and press with your hands, allowing dry time, or use a blow dryer.

Edit to add: If there are 2 formal nights on your cruise they are both formal.

We pack our formal wear in a garment bag, which I still haven't bought. :rolleyes:

I borrowed one last time. I don't want to stuff my gowns in our suitcase...they have a bit of beads and sequins on them and I'm afraid they'll get damaged if they're jostled around too much or get too crumpled.

It's just one more bag...no biggie. :D

My husband's dinner jacket really suffered on one of our trips, and I sent it to the laundry/cleaner on the ship. I think they charged us $6 to press it. Most of the wrinkles fall out of my dresses.

We have a garment bag, keep everything in the drycleaner's bags, and I lay the bag on my bed flat when packing and make sure everything is folded (arms in, dress folded on seams) neatly...not a wrinkle yet.

I can't remember what I did for my last cruise, but for this one I bought a rolling garment bag. I plan to pack DH's suit, shirts and my skirts, dresses and nice pants in this bag. I have bags for my dresses. I bought Downy Wrinkle Release, but have never used it before so we'll see if it works.

If they wrinkled bad enough I will send them to the laundry service I guess. I will hang them in the bathroom while I am showering too b/c of the steam the hot water puts off.

I'm leaving on Destiny on Sunday! They have 2 formal nights. I hear the second formal night is not quite as formal, a little more laid back. I am bringing a cocktail dress for that night.

I have a related question: If one doesn't travel with a garment bag, does the dry-cleaning bag trick still work, and if so, how do you put them into your suitcase -- hangers and all?

Just curious because I wanted to try this once but it wasn't easy to get the bagged garment into my suitcase neatly and it seemed to be taking a lot of room, so I gave up.

I use a garment bag and I check it. I also have each dress bagged in the drycleaning bag, I also put tissue paper on the insides of the dresses and the DH's shirts. I, too, lay the bag flat out on the bed, then fold the shirt sleeves to the inside. I can honestly say that I never had to have pressing done and I never looked wrinkled!:D

I always pack my formal clothes in the cleaners bag I got when I get them cleaned. After every cruise I'll get all our "good" clothes cleaned. And they will stay in them until we wear them on a cruise.

I also always pack my mini steamer but to this day I haven't used it, it's still in it's original case, unopened, but I still pack it. So I guess the cleaners bag trick works.:D

If you havent bought your formal dress try and find one that is is "crepey" material.(not sure of type)

Mine folds to an amazingly small article and then just drops out.

Steer clear of the taffeta ball gown type that take up a ton of room and a problem to keep looking nice.

However if you arent flying anywhere and space is not a problem then just take an extra case for your fromal wear

all Big Box stores are carrying them, as well as Home Shopping.Chicos has them for $70 a pc, while Pennys, under $30 or much less this weeekend w/their BIG sale.short/long skirts, shells, jackets, pullovers, and pants. I''ve seen Brown, cocoa, black, and combo prints.These will comprise 90% of my Europe trip wardrobe..Dress up or down, add a blazer, scarf, jewelry..easy wash drip dry..voi la..Good looking girls everywhere

I always pack my formal clothes in the cleaners bag I got when I get them cleaned. After every cruise I'll get all our "good" clothes cleaned. And they will stay in them until we wear them on a cruise.

I also always pack my mini steamer but to this day I haven't used it, it's still in it's original case, unopened, but I still pack it. So I guess the cleaners bag trick works.:D

Be careful of leaving your clothes in plastic like this. Moisture can be trapped inside and the clothes may become moldy, or have odd stains appear. People will sometimes think the dry cleaners didn't get out a spot, or used the improper chemicals and spotted the clothing.

So, don't leave your clothing inside plastic for more than a couple of weeks or so. A better way to store clothing that isn't frequently worn is with shoulder covers or suit bags that are in a canvas or muslin fabric.

Archived