Going Solo

Hi

I think it depends on how full the ship is and what time you are going. In June, I booked myself to go on Serenade of the Seas for Sept 1. I was quoted about $999 per person if two people went. I ended up paying around $1300 for myself. I think the single supplemental rate that I got was around 125-140%. Which I heard is good.

I also try and book my cruises when I am on vacation from grad school and kids are just starting school. Which brings me to cruise in early Sept or early June.

Jennifer

Does any body know the going rate for going solo. I have heard many different rates.

Hey Earl,

Here is a link that was posted over on the Solo Cruisers board:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/07008417_RCI_SINGLES.pdf

Many of the sailings on this listing are lower than the stated 125%, some as low as 109%. CruiseCritic members have booked Balcony Cabins on the Adventure of the Seas, September 16, 2007, sailing for less than $1200 single occupancy. I booked through an internet agency and got free gratuities and other have booked through Royal Caribbean.

Good Luck and Smooth Sailing! :)

I have cruised solo many times and have never got a "good" deal for single....I usually end up paying almost double (price of 2 passengers) minus the one port taxes/fee.....but if you want a vacation bad enough you have to suck it up unfortunately....

Hey Earl,

Here is a link that was posted over on the Solo Cruisers board:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/royal/Multi_Dest/Special_Offers/07008417_RCI_SINGLES.pdf

I think that sale/promotion may actually be over. My mom was able to take advantage of it when she booked her solo trip to Bermuda. She didn't know about the sale, and I don't think her TA did either, she just lucked out, because she was planning to go either way, but was lucky to get a GREAT deal!

Like everyone else said, unless it's being specifically promoted the single fare is 200% of the cruise fare, and you only pay the port charges once. If you watch the sales event/happy hour there are almost always sailings promoted with lower supplements, sometimes as low as 125% (though 150% is most common). I have also found them just by trying to book a single on the website and seeing what rate comes up.

I think that sale/promotion may actually be over. My mom was able to take advantage of it when she booked her solo trip to Bermuda. She didn't know about the sale, and I don't think her TA did either, she just lucked out, because she was planning to go either way, but was lucky to get a GREAT deal!

Actually, DiannaInVA, the rate for the sailing that I mentioned is STILL available today, as it was when I posted my reply. Although some sailings may not be available the one that I metioned on September 16, 2007 is available.

Link to RCI promotion:

Actually, DiannaInVA, the rate for the sailing that I mentioned is STILL available today, as it was when I posted my reply. Although some sailings may not be available the one that I metioned on September 16, 2007 is available.

Link to RCI promotion:

I'm glad they've kept the sale open on some, but I know for sure that the one my mom is on is no longer valid. I just mentioned it as an FYI--not all of those sales in that PDF are still valid. I only wish I could take advantage of them, but the sailings I want to go on are too popular, so they have no need to discount them...

Do go to the Solo boards for more info. It won't be as active as this one, for shure, but good info is definitely posted there.

My experience: On Princess and RCI, solo is often 150% of double per person rate for inside and oceanview cabins. Balcony and up is usually 200%.

If you can be flexible in your times, you can get good deals regardless of single suplement or not. Sometimes paying a heavily discounted 200% is cheaper than the 150% of another itenerary.

So, I look at the bottom line rather than the % of suplement charged.

Archived