RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Rachelnnn: This is not the way I was taught but I tend to skip most of the day when I am going out at night to a wedding or food tasting party. It's almost like I don't count what I eat but at least I know that I started eating with 0 Points. For me, whenever I start eating I eat all day so if I don't start til late then that's fewer points that I consume.

When I did lose on WW before, I tried to treat holidays like any other

day. One of the things I did was try and make some of the special

holiday things a few times throughout the year so that I didn't feel

that I had to eat lots of it on the holiday because it was the only

time of the year I had those items. I found that worked well, so I

am going to try it again.

My three things to work on are

1. Drink alot more water. I am really struggling with this

2. Physical activity every day

3. We are planning on booking a cruise for April 2008, so that

is motivation in itself. When I have something to look forward

to, it always helps.

On another note, I have some WW challenges coming up this week, any thoughts on how I can manuver through them? On Saturday, I have my company picnic (so hotdogs, burgers, beer). On Monday, my fiancé and I have our tasting for our wedding reception (yay!). I'm trying "mediterranean chicken" so my plan is to watch the portions and skip the bread basket. I have no idea how I'm going to count points though. :confused:

Next Friday, I will be attending my cousin's wedding. Same food obstacles as my Monday tasting, plus booze! It's going to be a tough week with 2 heavy meals plus a party. :(

Any thoughts? Maybe I'll Kick up the workouts, too?

-Rachel

Sounds like you've already thought up some pretty good strategies. Here's how I"d handle that:

Sat company picnic: Get in some extra exercise before you go. Limit yourself to a single burger. Is any part of this pot luck? If so, I always bring a huge fruit salad so that I know that there'll be something that I can eat for a side. Set a limit for drinks and stick to it. Drink lots of water.

Tasting for wedding reception: this one's tougher, because you won't know as much of what is in it. Skipping the bread is a great idea. I'd really limit portions, and I"d also eat something before hand so that you aren't so hungry that you overeat there.

Cousin's wedding is toughest of the batch, IMHO. I'd bring some food w/ me and keep it in the car. Yogurt, piece of fruit, low fat cheese - something that'll get you some fiber and some protein. That way, you can watch the portions. If it is table service, chat w/ the server and see how the dishes are prepared and whether you can get some modifications to them, e.g., sauce on the side or w/out sauce, etc. Again, pick a drink limit in advance and stick to it.

You can get through this - - we hosted a big event last May - lot's of family from out of town, catered meals, restaurant meals, etc. By following strategies like I described above, I managed to stay on program and wound up having one of the best weeks ever. You can do this!!

Good morning, WW Chatters!

I have a mental list of foods that are absolutely essential for me to keep around the house so that I can stay on program and also stay satisfied. I"m not talking about the obvious fruits & veggies, but the other stuff that let's you indulge a bit but not go overboard on points. Let's share with each other our lists. Maybe we can get some ideas from each other.

What do You think?

Onward and downward!

Good morning, WW Chatters!

I have a mental list of foods that are absolutely essential for me to keep around the house so that I can stay on program and also stay satisfied. I"m not talking about the obvious fruits & veggies, but the other stuff that let's you indulge a bit but not go overboard on points. Let's share with each other our lists. Maybe we can get some ideas from each other.

Perdue Light Italian Breaded Chicken Breast, 1 pt bun, and reduced fat spaghetti sauce, and part-skim mozzarella - can be used to make a quick & tasty 6 pt Chicken Parmesean Sandwich (5 pt if you omit the cheese).

Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt

Laughing Cow Reduced Fat Cheese (I like the onion flavor) & Whole wheat pita

WW 1 pt lemon cake & carrot cake.

Cooked shrimp & cocktail sauce - 6 large w/ 2 tbs cocktail sauce is 1 pt.

Fiber One cereal, roasted soy nuts, and raisins - mix 2 parts cereal to 1 part soy nuts and 1 part raisins to make a high fiber, high protein trail mix - a half cup of the mix is 2 pts.

I have just been having a quick read through of this board and feel the need to confess!!

I am a classic yo-yo dieter, and yes, I know how bad that is for me. I have done WW in the past and am back there again after putting on 6.5lbs in 4 weeks. 1 week on a cruise and 2 more land based holiday in that time. I lost 1.5 lbs first week and felt guilty as I had not got my head round it and cheated all week. Last week I stuck firmly to my points and lost 2lbs. My weigh-in is on a Thursday evening, after our evening meal. I was fine on Friday but today I am alone in the house, a rarity as my husband is retired and not usually out when I am in.

So what did I do this afternoon? BINGED. How stupid is that?

Now reading this board is stopping me eating anything else.

I am struggling with exercise as I am currently suffering with sore feet (Plantar Fasciitis) and have been told to put my feet up as much as possible. However, I have an appointment to visit the branch of Curves, which opened a little while ago about 5 miles from my house, on Monday. Does anyone here have experience of Curves?

My next cruise is on November 5th and I really want to wear my nice clothes, be healthier and not feel so fat.

Thanks for giving me a place to rant and I love the ideas posted by the leader of this thread. You are very inspirational.

Cinnamon

I have just been having a quick read through of this board and feel the need to confess!!

I am a classic yo-yo dieter, and yes, I know how bad that is for me. I have done WW in the past and am back there again after putting on 6.5lbs in 4 weeks. 1 week on a cruise and 2 more land based holiday in that time. I lost 1.5 lbs first week and felt guilty as I had not got my head round it and cheated all week. Last week I stuck firmly to my points and lost 2lbs. My weigh-in is on a Thursday evening, after our evening meal. I was fine on Friday but today I am alone in the house, a rarity as my husband is retired and not usually out when I am in.

So what did I do this afternoon? BINGED. How stupid is that?

Now reading this board is stopping me eating anything else.

I am struggling with exercise as I am currently suffering with sore feet (Plantar Fasciitis) and have been told to put my feet up as much as possible. However, I have an appointment to visit the branch of Curves, which opened a little while ago about 5 miles from my house, on Monday. Does anyone here have experience of Curves?

My next cruise is on November 5th and I really want to wear my nice clothes, be healthier and not feel so fat.

Thanks for giving me a place to rant and I love the ideas posted by the leader of this thread. You are very inspirational.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon,

Don't beat yourself up! Do you know what I did last night? Drank copius amounts of wine!!! I guess this is my way of confessing.

Maureen

Cinammon - time to forgive yourself and get back on track!

November is 3 months away - why don't you sign up for the 10% challenge board?

RB - the answer may be right under my nose but here goes...what's the 10% challenge board?

M

Dannon Light & Fit Yogurt smoothies

Laughing Cow Reduced Fat Cheese

WW 1 pt lemon cake or carrot cake, still looking for caramel ones.

Fiber One bars -2 pts.

Dried edamame - snack on and add to salads

Quaker mini delights - choc drizzle

Da Vinci SF syrup - for coffee, oatmeal and make a apple crisp which is yummy and filling.

SF FF ice cream

RB - the answer may be right under my nose but here goes...what's the 10% challenge board?

M

The 10% Challenge is another thread on the Lose Before You Cruise Board. The folks who post there - The Ten Percenters - are all trying to lose 10% of their body weight, and we report on our progress weekly. The goal is to lose 10% in 4 months (although the thread title says 3 months).

Binge eating is a major cause of obesity. Here is a link to an article from the Mayo Clinic web site.

If this has been a problem for you, what strategies have you found that can help you avoid or stop a binge?

I gained a lot of my weight by night-time binge eating. Unless you have experienced it, the compulsion to eat can be very hard to understand. Since I began the WW program a few months ago, I have managed to limit and to control the binge eating in several ways.

First, I think that just being on a program changes your entire relationship with food. By tracking and journaling everything, I am more conscious of what I eat and better able to control it.

Second, by eating better, I believe that I am avoiding some of the triggers that used to cause me problems. One of the reasons that low carb diets work is that carbs can trigger the binges for some people, and if you avoid the carbs, then you won't have carb-induced binges. WW, of course, is not a low-carb diet, but it does discourage the processed carbs, which are the main problem.

Third, I have learned what triggers the binge eating for me. After I started journaling, I had a record of what I eat before each session where I felt binge compulsions. I was able to identify certain trigger foods, and I now avoid having them at night, which is when I had binge eating problems. I avoid pasta at dinner - I can have no more than 1 cup of whole wheat pasta (no more) and not any regular pasta. I also avoid nuts after dinner (although I routinely eat them w/out problem in the day)

Fourth, I've found a couple of things that help me if I feel a binge coming on. I'll pop a bag of the 94% fat free popcorn - 5 cups is 1 point, and you can spend a lot of time eating that, and it has a lot of bulk. Taking a walk, brushing your teeth, getting the heck away from the kitchen are all helpful strategies.

I just dont buy the food that i would binge eat with. Potato chips, doritos. I crave salty things. I recently found that i have a very bad reaction to corn chips. Back in the winter i had eaten doritos (a lot of them) I was very sick. they would just not digest, 24 hours later i was in the E.R. My doctor did a scan on my stomach and they said it looked like i had just eaten a 7 course meal, which I had not. So i now avoid doritos and it is hard because they have been my favorite junk food since i was little. But i do not want to go through that again. Anyways not having any of that food around makes it easier.

Thanks RB for that link. The good news is that I am not nearly so bad as the article portrays. My trigger yesterday was being alone. My DH was out for the day, there are things in the cupboards and freezer for him that I ate and also a whole tub of Skinny Cow Ice cream which was 'mine' but not in that quantity. I am a WW member and know about organising the kitchen to keep temptation out but as I am serving WW recipe main meals, it is only a realistic fact that I have other things for DH to eat in addition.

I have this nasty little voice inside my head which says 'no-one can see you, go on, you deserve a treat'. My answer yesterday, after eating, was to come on here, get some 'group therapy' and it has certainly helped.

I don't think popcorn would do anything for me. I don't really like it and my cravings are always for something sweet. It is not the chewing but the taste I need.

I drew a line through my journal on Saturday's page and today started again. I know that I am unlikely to lose much this week but never mind, I am back on track now.

Mid evening is also a bad time for me but that is when I have my daily WW treat chocolate bar. 1.5 points and my chocolate fix for the day.

Thanks for the support,

Cinnamon

Cinnamon,

I have a terrible time with sweets...and i also have a terrible time with breads... i hear them calling my name all the time... or at least till last week. SO far I have left those voices behind me. after 31 yrs or so.

This is what i did....i stopped eating sugar. i stopped eating bread. JUST DONT EAT IT!! it will be a struggle, believe me it will. but, only you can do this...this is my second full week of none of that crap. im doing so well in just that short of time. I really believe im a carb-a-holic, honestly. when i eat it, i want MORE AND MORE AND MORE....i guess like alcohol, i dont know when to stop. morning, noon, and night, even snacks. sit and eat any kind of bread or sugar 'whatever' i can get my hands on... I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL my dear... I KNOW, and im sure all the others on here can say the same... IF you want to do this, you CAN... my clothes are now loose on me. in just 2 weeks.

on a thread you posted, it said you didnt want to loose weight...maybe you cant come to the reality of giving up food yet. Its something you really have to be ready to do.. and comming here, all these people are willing to help you and steer you in the right direction, like they have done for me... i sit here every single night, reading as many posts as i can, i find myself waking up with my head hanging, sleeping away... i do believe im addicted to this computer now and all the posts from everyone......... i just NOW, as im typing here, realized something........ the computer calls me now instead of the food!! YEAHHHHHHHH!!!! my poor husband....lol hes supporting me tho. he goes to bed every night without me.. poor guy.

I could go on and on...but cinnamon, you CAN do this IF you want it badly enough...only YOU CAN DO THIS!!! we can help you along your path, and guide you. but its up to you my dear....we are here for you..

Diane

Fourth, I've found a couple of things that help me if I feel a binge coming on. I'll pop a bag of the 94% fat free popcorn - 5 cups is 1 point, and you can spend a lot of time eating that, and it has a lot of bulk. Taking a walk, brushing your teeth, getting the heck away from the kitchen are all helpful strategies.

So do you count a whole bag of 94% as 2 points??

I read in a magazine the other day to carry the listerine packs and pop one in when you feel the need to binge:D

I just dont buy the food that i would binge eat with. Potato chips, doritos. I crave salty things. I recently found that i have a very bad reaction to corn chips. Back in the winter i had eaten doritos (a lot of them) I was very sick. they would just not digest, 24 hours later i was in the E.R. My doctor did a scan on my stomach and they said it looked like i had just eaten a 7 course meal, which I had not. So i now avoid doritos and it is hard because they have been my favorite junk food since i was little. But i do not want to go through that again. Anyways not having any of that food around makes it easier.

I also prefer the salty snacks and find it hard not to buy them especially when the kids are around and also tend to buy them for school snack for the kids.

Thanks RB for that link. The good news is that I am not nearly so bad as the article portrays. My trigger yesterday was being alone. My DH was out for the day, there are things in the cupboards and freezer for him that I ate and also a whole tub of Skinny Cow Ice cream which was 'mine' but not in that quantity. I am a WW member and know about organising the kitchen to keep temptation out but as I am serving WW recipe main meals, it is only a realistic fact that I have other things for DH to eat in addition.

I have this nasty little voice inside my head which says 'no-one can see you, go on, you deserve a treat'. My answer yesterday, after eating, was to come on here, get some 'group therapy' and it has certainly helped.

I don't think popcorn would do anything for me. I don't really like it and my cravings are always for something sweet. It is not the chewing but the taste I need.

I drew a line through my journal on Saturday's page and today started again. I know that I am unlikely to lose much this week but never mind, I am back on track now.

Mid evening is also a bad time for me but that is when I have my daily WW treat chocolate bar. 1.5 points and my chocolate fix for the day.

Thanks for the support,

Cinnamon

I try and make my snacking fit into my points or use my WPA for them and find I rarely go over that.

My sister gave me a candy bar that she liked when she started WW about 3 months ago and I was already on WW, she was eating one a day and using her WPA for it and don't laugh, it is still sitting in the jacket pocket I was wearing that night:D For me it is an all or nothing, I either stick to the points or not and some things just aren't worth it to me:eek: Now if I could stick with 'nothing' for a lifetime I wouldn't be overweight:eek:

Cinnamon,

I have a terrible time with sweets...and i also have a terrible time with breads... i hear them calling my name all the time... or at least till last week. SO far I have left those voices behind me. after 31 yrs or so.

This is what i did....i stopped eating sugar. i stopped eating bread. JUST DONT EAT IT!! it will be a struggle, believe me it will. but, only you can do this...this is my second full week of none of that crap. im doing so well in just that short of time. I really believe im a carb-a-holic, honestly. when i eat it, i want MORE AND MORE AND MORE....i guess like alcohol, i dont know when to stop. morning, noon, and night, even snacks. sit and eat any kind of bread or sugar 'whatever' i can get my hands on... I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL my dear... I KNOW, and im sure all the others on here can say the same... IF you want to do this, you CAN... my clothes are now loose on me. in just 2 weeks.

on a thread you posted, it said you didnt want to loose weight...maybe you cant come to the reality of giving up food yet. Its something you really have to be ready to do.. and comming here, all these people are willing to help you and steer you in the right direction, like they have done for me... i sit here every single night, reading as many posts as i can, i find myself waking up with my head hanging, sleeping away... i do believe im addicted to this computer now and all the posts from everyone......... i just NOW, as im typing here, realized something........ the computer calls me now instead of the food!! YEAHHHHHHHH!!!! my poor husband....lol hes supporting me tho. he goes to bed every night without me.. poor guy.

I could go on and on...but cinnamon, you CAN do this IF you want it badly enough...only YOU CAN DO THIS!!! we can help you along your path, and guide you. but its up to you my dear....we are here for you..

Diane

It is an addiction, the more carbs you eat the more your body craves, after reading Atkins, South Beach and a couple of other books that explains how the cards are processed by our bodies it all makes sense.

I have recently had the same conversation with my SIL about my brother and had to tell her that only he can do it, she can help him along and make the correct foods but he needs to want to do it else while she is not with him in the day he will be eating what he wants etc etc. I said she can give him the tools but he needs to use them. 'You can take a horse to water but you cannot make it drink':D

Cinnamon,

Diane

Diane, I am sorry you didn't understand my other post. It is a sort of joke.

I did not say that I did not want to lose weight. I want to be JUST overweight to start. At present I am classed as Obese at BMI 34. 25 is too big a target at present, so getting down to a BMI of under 30 is my goal. That would make me merely overweight, rather than obese. Perhaps one day I can have a lower goal but I am tackling the problem in stages.

Cinnamon

Diane, I am sorry you didn't understand my other post. It is a sort of joke.

I did not say that I did not want to lose weight. I want to be JUST overweight to start. At present I am classed as Obese at BMI 34. 25 is too big a target at present, so getting down to a BMI of under 30 is my goal. That would make me merely overweight, rather than obese. Perhaps one day I can have a lower goal but I am tackling the problem in stages.

Cinnamon

I am trying to keep my goals to 10lbs at a time and buy myself a new bead for my pandora braclet for each 10lb loss, so far I'm more than 1/2 way to my 3rd bead with another 2 more to go.

I'm eating healthier choices, being a bit more active than before and as long as it's 'onward and downward' I'm thrilled.:D

Archived