RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

Great article in today's NY Times about the success of making bets in motivating weight loss. One website takes a credit card and, if you fail to make your goals, will donate money to a charity. Apparently, the most successful bets are pledges to make contributions to causes that you don't agree with, e.g., the Bill Clinton or George W. Bush presidential library funds. Those bets have an 85% success rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/health/nutrition/05fitness.html?em

welcome back, Amy - glad you had a great time!

This weekend, I made good use of a chicken. I'll usually buy a whole chicken each week and, typically, after eating normal serving, I'll pick around the back, eat the wings, etc.

This time, I cut it up and roasted the pieces in a pan rather than roasting it whole - I sprinkled some fresh rosemary and dried herbs on it. I roasted the legs, thighs, and breasts, but not the back or the wings. Since those weren't cooked, nothing to snitch on, and I had a normal portion that night - - and no more.

But, I reserved the back and wings and used it (along w/ a very old chicken breast that had been in the freezer too long to eat) made a nice stock with that and assorted veggies (onion, leek, carrot, celery, carrot) . I discarded the vegetables, pulled the meat off the bones stored that separately.

THe next day, I skimmed the fat off the chicken stock and brought it to a boil w/ some brown rice and some water and seasonings and spices (I used black pepper, curry powder, tumeric, and salt). . After I simmered it for 20 minutes, I added some chopped carrots, celery, and fresh parsley and cooked for 20 minutes more. I then added back the meat from the stock and let it simmer until the rice was tender.

Then, on Sunday, I took the leftover chicken meat and made a low fat chicken salad. I chopped up about 10 oz of white meat, 3 stalks of celery, and a couple of scallions. I made a dressing of 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 3 tbs dijon mustard, 1 tbs Five Spice Powder (fennel, anise, cloves, cinnamon, & pepper) and 1/2 tsp curry, and some more pepper and some salt.

So, 3 good on-program meals for four using just one chicken.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone still visiting this thread? I've been "lurking"... well, really just reading through the old posts trying to catch up. Would love to know how everyone is doing...

I started WW in January and have lost 13 of the roughly 90 lbs I'd like to jettison. My husband is mirroring the WW plan and has lost 18 of the roughly 50 he'd like to get rid of. Neither one of us has really hit a plateau yet, so we're liking the plan so far! :p

Is anyone still visiting this thread? I've been "lurking"... well, really just reading through the old posts trying to catch up. Would love to know how everyone is doing...

I started WW in January and have lost 13 of the roughly 90 lbs I'd like to jettison. My husband is mirroring the WW plan and has lost 18 of the roughly 50 he'd like to get rid of. Neither one of us has really hit a plateau yet, so we're liking the plan so far! :p

I started back in December - still doing it on my own and not going to meetings but journal daily which helps. Haven't been posting here much either.

It's nice to see you back, at least. I've been reading this thread little by little over the past few weeks, was disheartened to see the drop-off in activity. Well, maybe we'll spark a few more WW'ers to join. I find having a "community" helps with stick-to-it-iveness! :)

It's nice to see you back, at least. I've been reading this thread little by little over the past few weeks, was disheartened to see the drop-off in activity. Well, maybe we'll spark a few more WW'ers to join. I find having a "community" helps with stick-to-it-iveness! :)

Are you going to meeting or doing it at home?

I have another weight lose site that I spend a lot of time on.

Yes maybe some folks will come back and post here :)

My job's health plan recently added WW as a free benefit, and I attend an "at work" weekly meeting with coworkers. We have a good group, it's been pretty active so far.

My husband is not going to meetings; he's simply mirroring the program and keeping track of points.

So far we're both doing well. (Though we have had our moments, I assure you!) :p

[side note: I love your "born to travel, forced to work" tag. That is EXACTLY how I feel.]

My job's health plan recently added WW as a free benefit, and I attend an "at work" weekly meeting with coworkers. We have a good group, it's been pretty active so far.

My husband is not going to meetings; he's simply mirroring the program and keeping track of points.

So far we're both doing well. (Though we have had our moments, I assure you!) :p

[side note: I love your "born to travel, forced to work" tag. That is EXACTLY how I feel.]

I did WW at work when they had it at my job, it was great and so convenient but I did better than that when I did it on my own in 2007 - then I went on a month long cruise and it took my till this last December to get back my motivation :eek:

My problem is my cruising interfere's with my WW but I was born to travel fat or thin:D:p

My problem is my cruising interfere's with my WW but I was born to travel fat or thin:D:p

I hear that, Julia!! lol

So yesterday was not a good WW day -- realized the granola bars I'd been counting as 2pts per package (contains 2 bars) are really 2pts per bar. I'm sure I was counting this correctly at the beginning of my WW trek and limiting myself to one bar, but then there was some measure of time before I ate another one and remembered the 2pts but not any restrictions. A good reminder to re-check points every so often!

Also bought lunch out for the first time in a few weeks. Got a veggie burrito which I love, and is full of nothing but healthful ingredients, but even the small (which I ordered) is HUGE, so portion control is out the window. Happily, I did only eat about half of it, but I was full, full, full. Plus, it's hard to figure the points because it's impossible to know the exact amounts of the ingredients.

Then St. Pat's meant 2 Guinesses after work with co-workers. :D DH joined us, and as we had an appointment later in the evening we just got dinner there. I had a "good" meal, made more delicious with a buttery sauce. DH and I decided that we'd just used up our weekly flex points (meant to get us through Thursday). :o Had a tiny bit of ice cream in the evening (really -- did watch the portion there!).

I do think I'll take the time to figure the points, but sheesh, it won't be pretty!

I will make sure to get on the treadmill for at least 30 minutes tonight. As my exercise regime is new, that will be a healthy workout for me.

Hope you are all doing well out there!

Archived