RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

HI!

I hadn't been coming to the CC Boards in a long time, because I had no cruises planned. :( But, that has recently changed. I'm happy to get things going again.

How are folks? I have not been following WW for quite a while now - although I do aspire to an eating schedule that is w/in WW limits. I have managed to keep off MOST of the weight that I began losing 19 months ago, but I do have to confess to some yo-yo'ing. I went from about 275 down to about 225, then back up to 242, and now I'm on the way back down and am at 236. It has been harder in the colder months, because I'm not getting out and biking.

So, who's still around?

I'm still here on CC - always have a cruise or two or three booked:rolleyes:

I have been terrible on WW - nearly put it all back but started back on December 1st again - it's a battle as it's so much easier to put it on than lose:eek: I am eating healthier though.

I signed up for WW on-line yesterday. I haven't really followed the program for more than a year; now that I've gained back a third of my loss, perhaps it is time to acknowledge that, when I'm following it closely, I do well. When I don't, I don't.

First day, I was 12 pts over, which will make things challenging! But, I can do this. I set up Friday as my weigh-in day, so the weekly points will re-set tomorrow, but I'll endeavor to stay completely w/in the limits today. We're just staying in today, so that should be readily accomplished. Must just stay away from the cookies/brownies/candy that are everywhere.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas everyone :)

I haven't signed up with WW, did a couple of years back when they had it at my old office. I find I only stick to it if I journal everyday. I use a 200 page composition book and write down everything - a page a day, I track my fiber and fruit/veg and drink intake and it just takes a couple of minutes of planning or time.

We are also staying home today - we celebrate Hanukkah so had our party on Sunday, we also had 2 Christmas parties last weekend - needless to say it was not a very OP or healthy one but 'one day at a time and move on' is my new motto.

Interesting article from Wed's New York Times discussing whether one should lay-off exercise due to having a cold. It discusses research showing:

1) a cold does not significantly impact the ability to exercise;

2) exercising during a cold does not worsen symptoms; and

3) exercising during a cold does not change recovery time.

Some report that exercise makes one feel better; few report that it makes them feel worse. Perhaps the biggest reason to keep exercising is that the "time off" could be the beginning of falling off the wagon.

http://*****.com/8drprs

Here's an interesting thing - the study participants volunteered to be infected by a rhinovirus. Can you imagine?

After just two days of getting back to tracking, I'm already feeling better. I no longer crave the junk that I had been eating, and I'm back in the mindset of thinking this is easy.

So, stay on program, and you feel better and lose weight. Stray from program, feel crummy and gain it back. Should be an easy decision.

So why was it so hard to do?

(ease up folks, it's a rhetorical question!)

Hey Guys,

So I love the post about whether to stop exercising or not when sick. I have had the first cold in a couple of years. It is hanging on and is now about 10 days into it. It is not horrible any more and I am getting energy back so I am trudging on with my running. I did not feel up to it a week ago but have no excuse now. I ran 6 hilly miles today (had been running 10-12 flat miles on weekends) but it did feel great - challenging but great. I tossed all the cookies and crap that people brought to my house for Christmas and its time to get back on track. Two steps RB - I ran, I threw away the crap - now for one more positive step - maybe I should actually count points LOL - yeah that's it I'll count points! Wish me luck!

It's been a year since we've posted the three step motivational - thanks for reminding me of it!

If you're headed in a negative direction, getting back on track may seem hopelessly out of reach. Yet by taking just three steps you can completely change your prospects for the better.

Take one positive step, and you'll stop moving backwards. Take a second positive step, and you'll begin moving forward.

Then take the third step in a positive direction, and suddenly you've established real momentum. From that point, each successive positive effort comes more naturally and easily.

No matter how low you may be, at any point you are just three steps away from a whole different outlook. Just three small, positive actions can get you headed solidly in a new, empowering direction.

In addition, taking three positive steps will give you a real sense of commitment. These actions will get you quickly and firmly invested in your own success.

Wherever you are now, you are just three steps away from being well on your way to whatever goal you choose. Now is indeed the best time to act.

-- Ralph Marston

Love the three steps!! Thanks for posting again. I do have it printed next to my computer to read year round - many times I certainly need it.

Question - has anyone done the WW online before? RB I know you posted that you are now have you before? If so, did it work well for you? How does it work with weighing in and what are the fees? I am considering doing it this way because I will have classes this semester Mon-Fri and don't see how I can get to a real meeting.

What's everyone doing for exercise? Gotta love those AP's - I swear without them I'd starve!!

Question - has anyone done the WW online before? RB I know you posted that you are now have you before? If so, did it work well for you? How does it work with weighing in and what are the fees? I am considering doing it this way because I will have classes this semester Mon-Fri and don't see how I can get to a real meeting.

When I started up w/ WW in '07, I got the plan that included the e-tools. That basically gives you access to the same materials that on-line only members got, plus you can attend meetings. So, I'm familiar w/ what they have.

You can keep track of your daily points online, accessing w/ some mobile devices and any computer w/ internet access. They have exercise videos, recipes, a database showing point totals, restaurant item point values (very limited), program info, motivational tools, and their message boards to provide community and peer support. Their message boards are very good - and anyone can access them without subscribing.

The cost is $65 for 3 months; $17/month after that. They are now offering one week for free to check it out.

Quite frankly, you can get pretty much the same thing for free from Sparkpeople.com, and in some ways, the website is better. That program is calorie-based, though. Psychologically, I seem to do better w/ WW.

Today was my first weigh-in since becoming on on-line member. No, I'm not new to WW - I started in spring '07, lost nearly 50 lbs (not including 10 lost prior to beginning WW), and continued my weight loss efforts w/out following the plan. That predictably led me to gain back about 25 of what I had lost.

I lost a pound. Since I didn't track every day this week and had a couple of days that were pretty off program, I think I got the weight loss that I deserved for the week - and maybe more than I deserved.

Although I'm not particularly happy with the effort that I put into the first week, I'm viewing it as a small tick in the right direction. Next week will be better.

Anybody making any New Year's Resolutions?

Interesting article in today's NY Times - home exercise equipment may help folks get started on an exercise program, but motivation is the key to sticking with it.

http://*****.com/8u6nrz

As for exercise equipment, I got a CycleOps Fluid Trainer, so I can now use my bicycle as an exercise bike. It had been a while since I had ridden - on Sunday, I managed 25 minutes, w/ a break after 15. This morning I managed a solid 35 minutes, with 20 of it at a pretty good cadence.

Hi RB Bonzo,

I have started back with WW myself. Monday the 5th was my first day. Like yourself, I have been on WW before and lost 25 lbs, but of course I have gained that and then some back. I have a cruise on RCI's Freedom in Oct. and would love to lose at least 50 lbs. I tried not to make it as my "resolution" as that proves difficult for me to keep. So I'm looking at it as a lifestyle change. Good luck to you and to me.

Take care,

Michelle

Hi, Michelle, and welcome to the chat!

Today was my 2nd weigh in since recommitting. I managed to stay w/in points (barely) and was rewarded w/ a 3.2 lb drop. I know I can do better, both in terms of eating and in terms of exercise. A nice drop on a Friday helps get me motivated going into the weekend and builds momentum for next week.

WOW!!! 3.2 in a week is awesome. My weighin is today and I am down 1lb :confused: I guess it's better than gaining. Like I said, my cruise is in Oct. so 1lb a week until then would be perfect. For my exercise I'm walking(strolling) my grandson and my dad's beagle. I really hope to do better this week. Best of luck to you.

Take care,

Michelle

Hi, Amy and thanks. That was an awfully hard stretch to lose 6 lbs in - kudos for joining in he middle of the holiday season!

Michelle - a pound gone is great - just so long as it is a pound gone forever!

Today was the first time since I started back on WW that I kept it within my daily points. That is, if I can make it to bed without eating anything else. :rolleyes:

That's a good start to the weekend!

They're calling for snow up here - I've soaked some black beans and plan to make some soup tomorrow. I love cooking soups and stews in the wintertime.

I lost 45 lbs on Weight Watchers before my cruise this past March and came back had trouble at work, with my kids, my Mom died and gained it all back.

I've since been diagnosed as a Type II diabetic .... and back on Weight Watchers ... have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks ... and back to working out.

I hate needles, I hate pricking my finger and by God I'm gonna take it off and KEEP IT OFF.

Looking forward to chatting.

earlier this week, I got a little creative and cooked up the following for breakfast -

1 egg, over easy cooked w/ non-stick spray, covered in salsa,

collard greens, boiled w/ a little olive oil and seasoned w/ cumin

1 oz. bakery multi-grain bread

1/4 cantaloupe

I got a few fruit & veggie servings in, had enough bulk to satisfy me, enough protein to keep me from getting hungry, and was quite tasty. I made enough greens to have them left over so that I could repeat this for the next day.

This morning, I had a bowl of Cheerio's (actually, a generic, organic variety), 1% milk, and an orange.

Today's breakfast actually had one-half more points and was no where near as satisfying. The only plus is that I got a milk requirement out of the way.

So, I'm going to focus a bit on putting some more time and creativity into breakfasts - it is worth the effort.

I lost 45 lbs on Weight Watchers before my cruise this past March and came back had trouble at work, with my kids, my Mom died and gained it all back.

I've since been diagnosed as a Type II diabetic .... and back on Weight Watchers ... have lost 7 lbs in 2 weeks ... and back to working out.

I hate needles, I hate pricking my finger and by God I'm gonna take it off and KEEP IT OFF.

Looking forward to chatting.

Hi, Connie!

Sorry about your Mom and your medical diagnosis. Now you've got a good reason to take it off and keep it off. WW is a great program, and I like the changes in the new program. Welcome!

What's difficult is when you are finished with your points by 4:00 in the afternoon!!!!!!:( That happened to me a few times. Going to bed hungry makes you really try to space the points out a little more. Oh well, I'll do better.

Yep, I've been there. But, that's what the weekly points are for! Also, the new program let's you make up for days you go over by using AP's later in the week. If you go over by 6 pts on Monday, you can earn AP's over the course of the week and still be on program. A great feature - because it encourages you to track everything even if you've "blown it" for the day.

Hi everybody. I have been following WW since March 08 and as of this morning's WI, I am down 83 lbs with 15-20 lbs to goal! This program is a good one and I have learned a lot. One of the biggest thing was to cut out the processed foods. I only eat whole foods now and my body has responded really well.

Someone had mentioned that they go to bed hungry as their points are gone for the day. Please, go into your WPAs! They are there to be used. Might I suggest you have some Greek Yogurt with some fresh fruit that will give you the protein and carbs to satisfy your hunger so you won't wake up ravenous. That is the easiest way to fall back into bad habits!

Good luck everyone!

Archived