RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

My past weight loss efforts failed due to personal stress, injuries that prevented exercise, and frustration due to lack of momentum.

I'm happy to report that I am prevailing in the face of all three.

I've been going through some tough times lately and am feeling more than a little stress. That's why you haven't seen me on the board much the past couple weeks. I also haven't been able to run for the past two weeks due to an injury that forced me to substantially reduce my running dating back to late November. And, I had lost my weight loss momentum and at one point was about 6 lbs above the "low" that I achieved last October.

But, I've hung in there and have just dipped to within .2 lbs of that October "low." I'm back in the two-teens and ready to resume my journey to onderland and to goal.

I just saw this poem by Ralph Marston posted on another board. It is similar to the other one, but well-worth passing along:

If you're not ready to climb a mountain, then see if you can walk up a gentle hill. If you're not ready to walk up a hill, then set out to take a leisurely stroll.

If you're not able to walk that far, then you can take a single step. After taking that step you'll likely find that you're ready to take another.

If you have trouble imagining yourself reaching your goal, then imagine yourself taking one small, simple action in the direction of that goal. Imagine it, and then do it.

After that first step, there will be another one you can take, something that's a little bit more challenging and yet not overwhelming. Keep it up, and soon the ultimate goal begins to come into view.

Anything can be accomplished if you are willing to keep taking the next step when it is time to do so. What you lack in brute strength, or resources, or knowledge, or skills, you can make up for with persistence.

You absolutely can get where you choose to go, step after step after persistent step. And now is the perfect time to begin.

-- Ralph Marston

At yesterday's meeting, someone said that they were using up all of their points on flavored coffee creamers.

ML said that she saw on one of the morning talk shows that half and half is better for you than skim milk in your coffee. And, no, she wasn't talking about the prostate cancer thing - I was the only person in a very crowded room that needed to worry about that.

Somebody asked her to repeat it, and she said, "Yes, half and half is better than skim milk." Say What???

I challenged her on that. Do you mean to tell me that something that is one-half whole milk and one-half cream is better for you than milk that has less than 1/2% milkfat? She said that is what the person on TV said. She ultimately agreed w/ me that the key is to check the label, measure, and count the points. She also conceded that the point might have been that folks who use skim milk use a lot more of it when just a tiny bit of H&H would have sufficed.

I seriously doubt that WW trains its leaders to parrot things they hear and misunderstand on the morning talk shows. I am certain that at least some of those ladies are going to run out and buy half & half and for years and years will liberally pour it in their coffee, justifying it by saying that this is the WW way to go. Very sad.

At yesterday's meeting, someone said that they were using up all of their points on flavored coffee creamers.

ML said that she saw on one of the morning talk shows that half and half is better for you than skim milk in your coffee. And, no, she wasn't talking about the prostate cancer thing - I was the only person in a very crowded room that needed to worry about that.

Somebody asked her to repeat it, and she said, "Yes, half and half is better than skim milk." Say What???

I challenged her on that. Do you mean to tell me that something that is one-half whole milk and one-half cream is better for you than milk that has less than 1/2% milkfat? She said that is what the person on TV said. She ultimately agreed w/ me that the key is to check the label, measure, and count the points. She also conceded that the point might have been that folks who use skim milk use a lot more of it when just a tiny bit of H&H would have sufficed.

I seriously doubt that WW trains its leaders to parrot things they hear and misunderstand on the morning talk shows. I am certain that at least some of those ladies are going to run out and buy half & half and for years and years will liberally pour it in their coffee, justifying it by saying that this is the WW way to go. Very sad.

funny that you were discussing this in your meeting cause yesterday I stopped in the morning to get DD breakfast at chick fil-a which is a once a year occurance for us and I got a coffee, they had h&h or the flavored creamer and I used that and wondered about the points, I drink very little coffee and usually use 2% milk which I agree with you must be way better than all the h&h and creamers.

Hello All

hope you dont mind i I jump in here. I actually started WW last week and tonite is my first weigh in. I am pretty nervous, I have no clue as I do not have a scale at home. I am hoping to be as succesful as the people I have read on these boards..

I have to admit the first couple of days took a little adjusting and I did not get all my points in..but I seem to be settling in a little better now. All the water though, at bowling this week they kept wondering why i was running off to the bathroom so much!!

I am hoping to lose some weight before our Mar 8 cruise..also hoping to spend some time in the gym onboard again..

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated

Mel

Hello All

hope you dont mind i I jump in here. I actually started WW last week and tonite is my first weigh in. I am pretty nervous, I have no clue as I do not have a scale at home. I am hoping to be as succesful as the people I have read on these boards..

I have to admit the first couple of days took a little adjusting and I did not get all my points in..but I seem to be settling in a little better now. All the water though, at bowling this week they kept wondering why i was running off to the bathroom so much!!

I am hoping to lose some weight before our Mar 8 cruise..also hoping to spend some time in the gym onboard again..

Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated

Mel

Hi, Mel, and welcome!

Not getting all the points in is a VERY common "problem" for folks new to the program. Bottom line, if you're not hungry, don't eat! but, you don't want to be more than a point or two below your target very often.

The reason that new WW'ers are low on points is that they are focusing on "diet" foods rather than eating the stuff they usually would eat. In time, you will learn to eat in a way that you can stick with long term - that is the Weight Watchers' Lifestyle that so many of us talk about.

My suggestion is that you try to work in some higher density foods. For example, a handful of nuts is 4 points - not too filling but full of healthy fats. Or, add some full fat cheese. I like to use up my extra points at the end of the day w/ a glass of wine, a beer, or a few squares of high quality dark chocolate.

Another thing to consider if you're not finishing your points is whether you are getting all of your good health guidelines in. Remember, 2 is the MINIMUM for the healthy oils. Getting enough fruit? Dairy?

As for the water, once your body gets used to it, you won't be running to the restroom quite as frequently!

Let us know how you do at tonight's weigh-in! And remember, if you work the plan, it will work for you!

Good Luck!!

Just returned from Vegas and seem to be getting back on track. Too many drinks and chocolates. Don't do buffets but not cautious at all about extra calories like added cheese or dressings that add points. I was at goal when we left 5 days ago but obviously have put back on a few. The good thing is I'm back on track and really want to get 5 below goal before my DD's bridal shower at the end of Feb. I just read that exercise is more effective when done is the morning. I walk 3 miles every morning and exercise at Curves (ladies gym) 5 hours a week. They offer a power workout on Tuesday nights and I find that adding that night exercise once a week, helped to boast the rate I was losing weight. Of course I end up eating very light that night and early because the class is at 7 p.m.

R.B., can you exercise now? I found that various times I have been sabotaged with physical problems that curtailed my exercise program and caused me to back slide. I have a hard enough time losing even with tons of exercise. It took me a year to lose 30 pounds but I have a very slow metabolism and did the WW program 100% using all my points and not killing myself or feeling deprived. Once a week I go out to a nice dinner, have wine, some bread and even some desert using the 35 flex point for the week. I can live with that and I am always in a good mood on Saturdays! :) When we vacation I do let loose a little but just get right back on track when the vacation is over.

Good luck everyone and drink your water!

Marianne

Marianne

R.B., can you exercise now? I found that various times I have been sabotaged with physical problems that curtailed my exercise program and caused me to back slide.

Marianne

no - the pull is still bothering me too much. Glad you asked- a reminder to see a doctor!

I have also falled off track following injuries and inability to maintain exercise levels. I'm taking great comfort in the fact that this isn't happening this time. Could it be that I've transitioned to a newer, healthier lifestyle? I think so!

Been hanging in there. Goal is 130 and been hitting around 133.5 which I'm not that happy about. Ever since Vegas, I've had a hard time. I really need to get my act together and lose 10 more!!! As I sip my chardonnay, I am making plans for a big effort starting tomorrow....always that eternal "tomorrow"! DD gets married at the end of April and that's when I need to be in the 120's. I have to set the goal and just do it!

RB, glad you got the go ahead from the doctor. Now you know what you need to do! This week is going to be positive for both of us and whom ever wants it bad enough. Thin feels so much better than food tastes.

Marianne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I haven't been at all good - have had this nasty flu that has been going around and mostly last week was out of it, went to work dossed myself with nyquil and went to sleep, I feel better this week but not 100% and heard it hangs around for a while.

I really need to get back on plan!!!:D

• 4 weeks later...

I have been messing about with weight loss for a few months going up and down the same few pounds but have been back on track for a few weeks now. Finally plucked up the courage to post again and find there has been little chat here. I would love to be in contact with everyone again. Where are you all?

Hi Dan, glad to see that you are still around. I purposely didn't mention weight loss on your Roll Call, best to keep that chat to those who understand. LOL

How are you doing? I have been up and down by a few pounds but am definitely back on track now. Just 2 pounds over my lowest weight last year which was just before my November cruise. I am going to Curves 3 times a week and a Pilates class once a week. Even went for a walk on Saturday when the sun was shining, my first since my feet were bad.

Cinna

I can relate to the challenges of staying active w/ health problems. The first weekend of December, I started experiencing some pain in my hip/groin area. I finally found out the problem, and I have to give up running. I've done very little exercise since that time, and I"ve gained about 5 lbs back as a result. I'm holding the line, though, and looking into cycling as a new activity.

So. I've kept about 45 of the 50 lb loss off. I also consider myself to be back on track. Never really got that far off of it. And, I think that just being 2 lbs off your Nov. weight before such a long cruise is quite an accomplishment!!!

It is going to get easier as the weather improves. Come on spring!!

AT WI tonight I had gained half a pound. I even walked to WW in the dark down the public footpath and through the graveyard to get a bit more exercise. I did carry a big torch though. It is the first I time I have walked there as I usually go on to something else afterwards.

I had been trying very hard but have had a couple of snacks I shouldn't and eaten my exercise points too. It seems that I have to be very rigid if I am to lose. Oh well, I am determined to succeed so this is the start of next week already.

Cinna

How are you doing this week Dan?

I lost 1.5lbs at WI last night. So that is a net one pound lost after last week's half pound gain. I am working really hard on the food intake and getting about 2 hours a week more exercise than before. Hoping for good things this week too and then maybe a bit of a blip as I have my birthday, Easter, our Wedding Anniversary and a 5 day trip away all before 10th April.

Cinna

Hey, Cinna -

I'm doing well this week. Got back into exercising, which is something that I had avoided since I had to give up running because of my bum hip. That feels good. I'm in a good place eating-wise, too.

I did discontinue my WW membership. I'm going to go it alone for a while, but I"m prepared to start up again if I feel myself back-sliding.

Have a Happy Birthday!!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry I have been MIA for so long. I am alive and well - still running like crazy and finally after 19 years weighed in at WW and did not have to pay last week (1.6 over lifetime but within 2 lbs!). I do miss chatting with you guys. Hope all is well and I will read the back threads when I have more time. Colleen

Archived