RB's Daily WW Chat

RB Bonzo

ok - time to reflect and to brag a little. What did you accomplish in 2007?

In 2007, I:

a) lost 50 pounds;

b) started to run and completed a half-marathon

c) achieved healthy cholesterol and triglyceride levels

d) took 7 inches off my waistline

Hey K9catwoman I think FP is flexpoints. Welcome!!

RB, that is some impressive accomplishments for 2007! I was thinking about my accomplishments and basically my 29 lb. loss and the cut down on my BP and cholesterol meds is it! Guess that's pretty good so I'm happy!

Well, have to get the New Year's dinner going. We're having steak and crab legs, salad and garlic rolls. I don't eat red meat so I'll just be having the crab legs with salad and a couple garlic rolls. I wanted to have some tasty desert but my daughter talked me out of it when I called her from the grocery store. Sooo, I did pick up some Free Cool Whip and am thinking I may make a fruit salad and have that on top. If I really get crazy, I may have a granola bar dipped in whip! Hey, whatever floats your boat. Guess I need to start cutting back since we all have been nibbling on cheesecake since Christmas.

I did workout for over an hour at Curves in case things got crazy with the eating!

Happy New Year to all.

Marianne

Started WW's August 22, 2007 on-line. Have stuck faithfully to the Flex Plan, measuring, etc., all except for one week at the first. Lost 30 lbs so far, which I never ever thought would be possible.

Initially set goal at mid-point between maximum and minimum for age and height and am now 10 lbs away from goal after 4 months. Cruising in June 2008 and hope is to be at goal by March and into maintenance for June.

Should I be shooting for being under goal before cruise to allow for a little gain during? Since starting WW's I have reduced dining out to no more than once a week - I am a little worried about what 2 weeks of cruise dining could do. Is there a place to weigh yourself on board?

Started WW's August 22, 2007 on-line. Have stuck faithfully to the Flex Plan, measuring, etc., all except for one week at the first. Lost 30 lbs so far, which I never ever thought would be possible.

Initially set goal at mid-point between maximum and minimum for age and height and am now 10 lbs away from goal after 4 months. Cruising in June 2008 and hope is to be at goal by March and into maintenance for June.

Should I be shooting for being under goal before cruise to allow for a little gain during? Since starting WW's I have reduced dining out to no more than once a week - I am a little worried about what 2 weeks of cruise dining could do. Is there a place to weigh yourself on board?

Hi, Jo -

Some ships have scales in the fitness center. There is probably a scale at the medical center, too, which they might let you use upon request.

Regarding shooting for "under goal" prior to the cruise, I wouldn't do it. Instead, I'd try to get at my ideal weight, work to minimize any gain during the cruise, and then work on taking any gain off when you get back. Just my opinion.

I got this off a WW Board - seemed appropriate to post here. Happy New Year, everyone!

IF I LOST 1 LB. EACH WEEK OF 2008

By Valentine's Day I'd be 7 lbs. lighter! I’m loving it!

By St. Patrick's Day I'd be 11 lbs. lighter!

With the luck–o-the Irish I'll make my goal.

By Easter I'd be 16 lbs. lighter!

I'd be a cuter bunny.

By Memorial Day I'd be 23 lbs. lighter!

Won't let it rain on my parade.

By Flag Day I'd be 25 lbs. lighter!

Boy, could I wave my flag then.

By Independence Day I'd be 27 lbs. lighter!

That's a neat declaration of independence from overeating!

By Labor Day I'd be 36 lbs. lighter!

What a wonderful reward for all my hard work.

By Columbus Day I'd be 41 lbs. lighter!

What a joy to discover what I can do.

By Halloween I'd be 44 lbs. lighter!

I didn't think I had a ghost of a chance.

By Thanksgiving I'd be 47 lbs. lighter!

I'd have so much to be thankful for.

By Christmas Eve I'd be 51 lbs. lighter!

Talk about being merry.

By New Year's Eve I'd be 52 lbs. lighter!

It's not just a new year, it's a new ME.

RB, that's really impressive and would be great if there weren't distractions like cruises, birthdays and holidays. My last cruise was right after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I gained 7 lbs. in 5 days. The good thing is that when I returned, I got right back on track and lost the weight in 2 weeks. I'm sure a lot of it was water since they use salt to season things and I never use salt at home. Also, I had wine every night and when I'm home, I only have wine once a week. Jo-v, I also only allow for one dinner out a week. That does help. Just remember that you have to live and that's the main thing with WW...it lets you enjoy life without guilt. Even though I had that gain on our last cruise, when we did the Med., we were on the cruise for 2 weeks and I only had a 2 lb. gain. I was terrified that I'd gain a ton. This last cruise had 3 days at sea which are killers because the entertainment ends up being dining for the most part. I exercised a lot but that doesn't take away what you put in your mouth. I was turned off to all the food and that stuffed feeling by mid point of the cruise. DH wanted to book a future cruise while we were on board but I just wasn't into it after all the eating. Since the weight loss was quick, I had a change of heart and am looking now for a cruise in May. Maybe I'll handle that one better and not eat two breakfasts. LOL I usually only have oatmeal or an egg white omelet. I had both on the cruise!! Guess I gained for a reason. Let's not even mention the chocolate buffet!!

Well, I'm off to a New Year's Day party and hopefully will be in control.

Marianne

Marianne - Thanks for the welcome. We don't have the "Flexi Points" here as we either follow Counting Points or Core. Core is 3 meals daily ( no snacks or processed foods etc. except for fruit & veg) plus 21 extra points weekly for "treats." I find that Core works best for me.

Jo - Just enjoy your cruise, don't worry or weigh yourself! :)

I found that I maintained my weight loss by eating healthily & sensibly, with plenty of fruit & veg. & if I fancied something extra I didn't eat too much of it i.e. cakes & puddings. I shared a bottle of red wine with my husband in the Dining room every night, but walked so much from our room to the restaurants etc. on the ship, & also in the ports of call that I think I just worked off the extra food & alcohol. I had a pleasant surprise when I reached home & weighed after our cruises in May & October this year!

RB - Enjoyed your poem but unfortunately after Easter your special days aren't celebrated here in the UK - except for Halloween, Christmas & New Year of course.

Happy Cruising & Weight Watching in 2008 wherever you may be!:D

most of the weight gained during a cruise is water retention - that is why it comes off so quickly. You've got to consume about 3500 more calories than you burn to gain a single pound. A 5 pound gain of fat would therefore require 17,500 excess calories, or about extra points. Even on a cruise, that's pretty tough to do!

They don't celebrate July 4 in the UK? Who knew? ;)

Well done ! :) Very clever !

Unfortunately don't think that will apply to me as I don't feel committed at the moment. Going to class next Monday night & if by then the scales aren't kind to me I may get in my "determined" mood. I have STS on my bathroom scales since before Christmas, which has made me a little lazy.

Booking another holiday may give me the inspiration to want to lose a few more pounds.

Colleen re-posted this a month ago; it might be a good time to run it again:

If you're headed in a negative direction, getting back on track may seem hopelessly out of reach. Yet by taking just three steps you can completely change your prospects for the better.

Take one positive step, and you'll stop moving backwards. Take a second positive step, and you'll begin moving forward.

Then take the third step in a positive direction, and suddenly you've established real momentum. From that point, each successive positive effort comes more naturally and easily.

No matter how low you may be, at any point you are just three steps away from a whole different outlook. Just three small, positive actions can get you headed solidly in a new, empowering direction.

In addition, taking three positive steps will give you a real sense of commitment. These actions will get you quickly and firmly invested in your own success.

Wherever you are now, you are just three steps away from being well on your way to whatever goal you choose. Now is indeed the best time to act.

-- Ralph Marston

RB, thanks for posting about positive steps. I did start today with a 3 mile brisk walk in our chilly weather. I actually wanted to turn back because the wind was so bad but DH convinced me I'd have a sense of accomplishment if I didn't give up. Then I hit Curves for an hour workout. I'm back to journaling and hopefully that holiday weight will be gone quickly.

I count points since I had a little too much lead way with Core. My head doesn't ever get the "full" signal! What does everyone else do?

Marianne

I read Michael Pollan’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” over the holiday, and this book was quite an eye opener. The title refers to the fact that people, unlike most animals, can eat most of the bio-mass, whether animal or vegetable, available. With that ability comes the need to make decisions regarding what to eat.

He then discusses four separate food chains in great detail. The first chain is the industrial food industry, which mostly derives from the corn and soybean, which are used to feed animals (some of which, like cows, were never meant to eat grain), to make high fructose corn syrup, and a huge array of processed foods. He delves into the political, economic, environmental, and health consequences of this food chain, and he claims those are significant. For instance, the government provides incentive to corn farmers to get the highest possible corn yields, so most of them plant corn every year on every available acre. That requires massive use of artificial fertilizers, which are derived from petroleum. When one considers the amount of oil used to fertilize, harvest, and transport the corn that is used to fatten a steer, and then consider the amount of oil used to transport and process the steer, it comes to almost a barrel of oil per cow. Yet, if we didn’t use these artificial fertilizers, the current farmland would be inadequate to feed our entire population – so to some extent, this is a necessary evil. But, is it sustainable?

The next food chain is the mass-produced organic movement, represented by Whole Foods, where only natural feed is used, with no anti-biotics, artificial fertilizers, hormones, etc. The result is a more natural product raised with fewer consequences to the environment, but which still entails industrialized production and transportation. And, much of the advertising is misleading. For example, “free range” chickens must have access to the outdoors. But, most birds so-labeled have never left their coop – it is just a theoretical ability to go outside because there is a little door at the end of a 200 yard long hen house which isn’t opened up until the chickens are 5 weeks old. They don’t naturally gravitate outside of their familiar environment. But, are these types of compromises okay in light of the need to feed a large population?

The third food chain discussed is locally produced foods such as grass-fed cattle, marketed by direct sale to consumers, farmer’s markets, and cooperatives. Really fascinating stuff with superior environmental and nutritional benefits. But, is this practicable on a large scale?

The fourth and final food chain discussed is food that he hunted, grew, and foraged for himself. Interesting, but he acknowledges very far from practicable.

The book draws no conclusions but provides quite a bit of information. It is the type of thing that you should NOT read if you do not want to know, in detail, just where your food comes from and how it is processed. If you read this, I promise that your outlook towards food will change. I recommend it.

RB, I don't eat meat so I have a hunch the book would just deepen that conviction. I do eat some chicken but mostly fish. I stopped eating red meat some 20 years ago when I was pregnant because it tasted like gum to me....chewing way too long with little flavor and I hated the texture. Probably was a lousy steak! LOL Occasionally I take a bite of DH's steak and it usually confirms my dislike for meat. I could be a European easily and buy fresh veggies from the market everyday and be perfectly satisfied. Which is pretty much what I do. So then you must wonder why I'm a WW. Well, my love of wine and sweets would be the reason.

Had a good day yesterday and hopefully today will be the same. We couldn't walk this morning with freezing temps and strong winds but I will be going to Curves for a power workout tonight followed with dinner with the ladies. Not sure if that is going to pose temptation since almost all of them are very weight conscious but like I said, I could easily be lead astray with wine. I'm usually very strict but having that holiday hiatus and a trip planned next week to Vegas, I'm having a hard time being totally committed. Hope the gang tonight shames me into behaving. Worse scenario is a 4 points for 2 wines and I will order a spinach salad with salmon.

Good luck to all today.

Marianne

I read Michael Pollan’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” over the holiday, and this book was quite an eye opener. The title refers to the fact that people, unlike most animals, can eat most of the bio-mass, whether animal or vegetable, available. With that ability comes the need to make decisions regarding what to eat.

He then discusses four separate food chains in great detail. The first chain is the industrial food industry, which mostly derives from the corn and soybean, which are used to feed animals (some of which, like cows, were never meant to eat grain), to make high fructose corn syrup, and a huge array of processed foods. He delves into the political, economic, environmental, and health consequences of this food chain, and he claims those are significant. For instance, the government provides incentive to corn farmers to get the highest possible corn yields, so most of them plant corn every year on every available acre. That requires massive use of artificial fertilizers, which are derived from petroleum. When one considers the amount of oil used to fertilize, harvest, and transport the corn that is used to fatten a steer, and then consider the amount of oil used to transport and process the steer, it comes to almost a barrel of oil per cow. Yet, if we didn’t use these artificial fertilizers, the current farmland would be inadequate to feed our entire population – so to some extent, this is a necessary evil. But, is it sustainable?

The next food chain is the mass-produced organic movement, represented by Whole Foods, where only natural feed is used, with no anti-biotics, artificial fertilizers, hormones, etc. The result is a more natural product raised with fewer consequences to the environment, but which still entails industrialized production and transportation. And, much of the advertising is misleading. For example, “free range” chickens must have access to the outdoors. But, most birds so-labeled have never left their coop – it is just a theoretical ability to go outside because there is a little door at the end of a 200 yard long hen house which isn’t opened up until the chickens are 5 weeks old. They don’t naturally gravitate outside of their familiar environment. But, are these types of compromises okay in light of the need to feed a large population?

The third food chain discussed is locally produced foods such as grass-fed cattle, marketed by direct sale to consumers, farmer’s markets, and cooperatives. Really fascinating stuff with superior environmental and nutritional benefits. But, is this practicable on a large scale?

The fourth and final food chain discussed is food that he hunted, grew, and foraged for himself. Interesting, but he acknowledges very far from practicable.

The book draws no conclusions but provides quite a bit of information. It is the type of thing that you should NOT read if you do not want to know, in detail, just where your food comes from and how it is processed. If you read this, I promise that your outlook towards food will change. I recommend it.

I know this is a politically sensitive topic, and many people feel passionately about the environment and our food supply, but it is really easy for someone to generalize on a topic that they have no first hand experience with. Our family has been involved in agriculture for generations. The practices have changed over the years to increase yields, and keep the farm solvent. The practices that environmentalists are most concerned about are most commonly employed by large corporate farms. The local family farmer ( like my DH:) ) manages the land in a responsible manner. He rotates his crops- he doesn't plant corn on corn every year. He alternates to conserve the nutrients in the soil. His fertilizer costs are much less than average. He does not use pesticides. He minimalizes herbicide usage by choosing his seed carefully. He raised beef without use of antibiotics or hormones. The quality of this beef makes the product you receive in the market or restaurants seem like a different food altogether. We sell our meat locally. I would venture to guess that there are more family farmers that conduct their business in a morally responsible manner. The government by the way does not pay the farmer to increase yields. They subsidize the crop price to make sure that farmers do not go out of business over the low cost of grain. The cost of grain has not dramatically increased over the past 20-30 years, while the costs to farm have skyrocketed. I'm sure this is very simplified as I am not an economist by profession. One thing that isn't widely discussed is the role of the farmer in the development of biodiesel fuels. If you are concerned with the environment, check out the Revolution Green trailor on line. ( My DH and son are on the film:D ) It will be educational! By the way it is produced by one of the producers of American Idol and features Willy Nelson and is narrated by Woody Harrleson.

Sorry to ramble- but as far as beef is concerned, quality does make a difference. I used to hate the taste of beef and if I don't love it I won't waste the calories. On the other hand, I'm not a great fan of pork. Thank God we have so many choices.

I know this is a politically sensitive topic, and many people feel passionately about the environment and our food supply, but it is really easy for someone to generalize on a topic that they have no first hand experience with. Our family has been involved in agriculture for generations. The practices have changed over the years to increase yields, and keep the farm solvent. The practices that environmentalists are most concerned about are most commonly employed by large corporate farms. The local family farmer ( like my DH:) ) manages the land in a responsible manner. He rotates his crops- he doesn't plant corn on corn every year. He alternates to conserve the nutrients in the soil. His fertilizer costs are much less than average. He does not use pesticides. He minimalizes herbicide usage by choosing his seed carefully. He raised beef without use of antibiotics or hormones. The quality of this beef makes the product you receive in the market or restaurants seem like a different food altogether. We sell our meat locally. I would venture to guess that there are more family farmers that conduct their business in a morally responsible manner. The government by the way does not pay the farmer to increase yields. They subsidize the crop price to make sure that farmers do not go out of business over the low cost of grain. The cost of grain has not dramatically increased over the past 20-30 years, while the costs to farm have skyrocketed. I'm sure this is very simplified as I am not an economist by profession. One thing that isn't widely discussed is the role of the farmer in the development of biodiesel fuels. If you are concerned with the environment, check out the Revolution Green trailor on line. ( My DH and son are on the film:D ) It will be educational! By the way it is produced by one of the producers of American Idol and features Willy Nelson and is narrated by Woody Harrleson.

Sorry to ramble- but as far as beef is concerned, quality does make a difference. I used to hate the taste of beef and if I don't love it I won't waste the calories. On the other hand, I'm not a great fan of pork. Thank God we have so many choices.

your family farm sounds quite a bit like the type of thing the write was describing in food chain #3, albeit not entirely "organic". Sounds wonderful.

Since we are on the subject, my DH's family had a slaughter house and did everything right down to the retail end of it. They were always very ethical, moral and sanitary with how the meat was handled. Unfortunately, the place burned down so they turned to meat brokering. Now they are all retired and out of the business but they really love to check out meat in the stores! My DH was never very fond of the business so after high school he headed to UM and ended up with financial investments. Best not to get him going on today's economy and the price of fuel.

Misty57, sounds like you have a wonderful farm and family movie stars :) We certainly need you! I'll check out the Revolution Green.

Marianne

Waserdog, my DH is the one in the John Deere Combine. :) I think he's saying something about burning total biodiesel in his equipment. I don't think my son is on the trailor but is in the full film.

Thanks for asking. The American Idol producer that produced this film is the daughter of my husband's landlord ( one of his farms).

My life has been crazily busy since about mid December. This is my first chance to have a proper read and post, having only popped in briefly for a while since then.

I was very bad at Christmas, quite disappointed with myself. At WI on Thursday I had gained 3.5lbs in 2 weeks. My last visitors only left yesterday, so now I am back on track, on Nocount and going to Curves this morning.

I will now read your posts. Sorry I have not been supportive of everyone, but well done to those of you who were more disciplined than me for the last 2 weeks.

Cinnamon

Happy New Year to you all.

I have just come across this WW thread so was pleased to find some fellow weight watchers. I have attended WW classes here in the UK on & off for years, and am a gold member.

As soon as I find that I my clothes get too tight :( & I have to go up a clothes size as they were last January I decide that it is time to rejoin a class. I rejoined a year ago & decided to go on the Core plan instead of counting points for evermore. By May I had lost the extra weight & stopped going to class as I had holidays booked - caravanning & cruises.

During the cruises I more or less stuck to the Core Plan, but decided in December to go to WW class again for a pep talk before Christmas so that I would think before over indulging. I was extremely pleased to find that I weighed one pound less than I did when I last attended, so the Core plan worked for me & I can still have my red wine & occasional treats.:)

What about the rest of you? Core or points? It would be interesting to do a poll. I am retired so it is easier to do core, but if you work perhaps Points would be better.

Once again, wishing you all a happy & healthy New Year.

I just wanted to say a Big Welcome to the second Brit to post on here. I have been chatting here for several months but was the only one from our side of the Atlantic. I have discovered that there are several differences in the US system but the basic ideas are the same.

Where are you? I live in Windlesham in Surrey.

Cinna

Archived