Jeans in Alaska

taxjam

On non-formal nights, will jeans be allowable in the main dining room?
The rules don't change in Alaska. Except for embarkation day, jeans aren't allowed in the dining room. However, you can probably get in, because HAL doesn't enforce a lot of their rules very stringently. Anything but shorts and tank tops would most likely be overlooked.

I've never understood why people take the "Well... it's ALASKA... clearly I don't have to dress up" approach...

Does that mean that if you do a cruise to England (think Cunard here) that you MUST be formal every evening?

People rarely if ever question formal nights in Mexico or the Caribbean where most ships are a party each evening...

Why the thought that Alaska is somehow exempt?

On the contrary, I would think that if you're on a cruise where there's a higher likelihood of jeans, jackets, flannel (???) that it would make it even MORE the reason to dress up a bit...

And I'm only 25...

Seems like this would be one of the cases where I'd be a little MORE on par with the older demographics...

:cool:

If I'm not mistaken, HAL recently changed their wording to allow jeans on casual nights. :confused: (Much to the dismay of some HAL old-timers/traditionalists)

I could spout my views about jeans at dinner on a cruise, but you paid your money too. Personaly I think its nice to were something other than blur jreans when dining out. Just consider being on a crusie as going to a nice evening out with the special someone in your life. Than if blue jeans are the right dress than enjoy your meal.

If I'm not mistaken, HAL recently changed their wording to allow jeans on casual nights. :confused: (Much to the dismay of some HAL old-timers/traditionalists)

I think that this comes up because Alaska is a cooler climate destination, people dress in layers, and jeans may be more common :confused:

I just opened our docs and looked at the "know before you go" booklet and the wording in it still says "slacks" and there is no mention of jeans either way, the online version on their web page is the same. But I think as someone else said they probably wouldnt say anything unless you were wearing some heavily torn up jeans, or short and a tshirt, atleast not on a casual night.

No. On embarkation night, yes, but other then that, no.....the dress code doesn't change for Alaska.

I just returned from the Oosterdam in Alaska and I saw many, many people in jeans in the dining room on non-formal night. Regardless of what HAL materials describe, clearly jeans are being accepted.

I am probably going to get slammed for this comment but....

I think you have to use some common sense and discretion regarding jeans. There is a big difference between types of jeans and how they are worn. You can't compare a pair of jeans with tears or ripped open knees that lots of the young kids wear to a nice dress pair of jeans that some men actually look pretty dressed up in with a nice jacket.

My dad is 80 and wears nice jeans with a nice shirt or jacket and looks more dressed up than some of the other older people I have seen wearing BAD Polyester from 30 years ago! :D He certainly doesn't look like he just came from the farm!!!!

However....we all dressed appropriately for dinner and did not wear jeans in the dining room except for the last night while being in port at Victoria. We had dinner in the dining room early at 5:00 pm and rushed off the ship to our excursion to Butchart Gardens. Several people in our group did wear jeans or more casual attired at dinner that night but it was totally acceptable because of the circumstances.

Jeans are Jeans. What is the big deal about putting on something a little nice for dinner? We also received our docs and saw no comment re jeans at dinner time. I also agree with the other posters, why Jeans in Alaska? What is so terrible about coming back from your day's acitivites, taking a shower and putting on a pair of slacks and a nice shirt and for the ladies a nice pants or skirt outfit. It's not like we are out working all day and don't feel like changing, most people change outfits for dinner anyway, so why not dress a little?

Barbara

What is the fixation with Alaska and jeans??? They are probably the WORST type of clothing you can wear in Alaska's cool, damp climate. Jeans absorb water, not repell it, and they take forever to dry. They're heavy in your luggage and take up a lot of space.

I just don't get it, but if it flips up your denim skirt to wear jeans, then by all means wear them. I'm obviously in the minority.

Roz

On two days the best whale watching was early evening. So, many people were wearing jeans on deck to watch the whales, then when their dining time arrived, they went right into the dining room with their jeans on. What's so wrong about that? To go change and get gussied up, would take time from seeing the whales. Wear what you feel comfortable in and don't worry about all the people on this site that think jeans are bad.

Hikergirl, no one said jeans are bad. They're not APPROPRIATE in the dining room. The connection between whale watching and dining room attire escapes me.

Roz

On two days the best whale watching was early evening. So, many people were wearing jeans on deck to watch the whales, then when their dining time arrived, they went right into the dining room with their jeans on. What's so wrong about that? To go change and get gussied up, would take time from seeing the whales. Wear what you feel comfortable in and don't worry about all the people on this site that think jeans are bad.
So if I'm on a Hawaii cruise, wearing shorts and a tee shirt, and watching whales off Maui, it would be OK for me to go to the dining room that way too, since they "feel comfortable" and I don't want to "take time from seeing the whales"?

Brian/bepsf says HAL has changed the rules to allow jeans now, but if you open the flood gates to "what you feel comfortable in", regardless of any rules, you will see all kinds of ugly things in the dining room. That's "What's so wrong about that". :eek:

I can't see what's "appropriate" about criticizing CC posters for their fondness of jeans.

HAL has changed their rules. Like it or not.....

That's the breaks.

All of the snide posts about looking like one is right off of the farm, or being ugly does nothing but exasperate the situation.

Just as HAL "traditionalists" dig their feet in, so will HAL's new cruisers who put their money where their mouths are.

Sounds to me like HAL is changing. Good for 'em. Bottom line....$$$$$$ :)

So if I'm on a Hawaii cruise, wearing shorts and a tee shirt, and watching whales off Maui, it would be OK for me to go to the dining room that way too, since they "feel comfortable" and I don't want to "take time from seeing the whales"?

John-

Perhaps I'm a prude, but I think there's a big difference in having to look at a man's body hair at the dining room table versus jeans.

In my opinion, we're dealing with apples and oranges here. (Don't even get me started about men wearing tank-tops in ANY dining venue.... even the Lido Buffet) :eek:

YUCKERS!

HAL has changed their rules. Like it or not.....
All I'm saying is: whatever the rules are abide by them, not "do what feels comfortable". I know from your many posts about your "topless deck" and bringing liquor on board that you don't put much stock in rules.

All I'm saying is: whatever the rules are abide by them, not "do what feels comfortable". I know from your many posts about your "topless deck" and bringing liquor on board that you don't put much stock in rules.

I'm not certain what to tell you about the Topless Deck, John. We had cocktail service up there on the Volendam.

Although it seems to be a big issue on this forum, we were certainly embraced by HAL's staff on our cruise.

Like it or lump it.... the times they are a' changing! :)

I learned a long time ago (to my delight) that CC posters DO NOT reflect the attitude of any given majority of passengers...no matter WHAT line one is on. ;)

What you are saying , really does not apply in this case..

"whatever the rules are abide by them, not "do what feels comfortable"....

There is no rule about Jeans in the dining room!

I agree, we should abide by the suggested dress code & HAL's rules, but we have been told numerous times that there is NO RULE against jeans in the Dining room...

Even though you & I do not wear Jeans in the dining room for dinner, does not give us the right to dictate what we believe the rule should be! And we can't make up a Rule that does not exist..

I have never seen a rule against the topless deck either! Have you? Even though I don't enjoy seeing people topless, I have no right to make up a rule about it..I can let HAL know of my discomfort, but that's all because HAL makes the rules...

We saw jeans in the dining room on the "Ryndam" this past November & they were accepted by the staff since there is no rule against them...And last April, we had a gentleman in Jeans on the Prinsendam...I was a bit shocked to see that..LOL

HAL has changed, and we can let HAL know of our displeasure in the changes..But we must accept the fact that HAL makes the rules, not you or me..If we won't accept the changes to those rules, then we have to move on!

Betty

Archived