Jeans in Alaska

taxjam

What you are saying , really does not apply in this case..

"whatever the rules are abide by them, not "do what feels comfortable"....

There is no rule about Jeans in the dining room!

I agree, we should abide by the suggested dress code & HAL's rules, but we have been told numerous times that there is NO RULE against jeans in the Dining room...

Even though you & I do not wear Jeans in the dining room for dinner, does not give us the right to dictate what we believe the rule should be! And we can't make up a Rule that does not exist..

I have never seen a rule against the topless deck either! Have you? Even though I don't enjoy seeing people topless, I have no right to make up a rule about it..I can let HAL know of my discomfort, but that's all because HAL makes the rules...

We saw jeans in the dining room on the "Ryndam" this past November & they were accepted by the staff since there is no rule against them...And last April, we had a gentleman in Jeans on the Prinsendam...I was a bit shocked to see that..LOL

HAL has changed, and we can let HAL know of our displeasure in the changes..But we must accept the fact that HAL makes the rules, not you or me..If we won't accept the changes to those rules, then we have to move on!

Betty

Oh sure....go ahead and sound reasonable.;) :)

John-

Perhaps I'm a prude, but I think there's a big difference in having to look at a man's body hair at the dining room table versus jeans.

Nanette - I totally agree with your statement!

By the way, some shorts that come down to the knee or below the knee cover up a lot more than some skimpy dresses that are thigh high and cut down to you know where.

And "wear what is comfortable" means wear what is comfortable to you, jeans, slacks, or dresses. Jeans come in many different styles and colors and some are dressier than casual cotton pants. There is nothing on the HAL website that says "no jeans". For those who love to get all dressed up, you have the formal nights and the Pinnicle Grill.

Nanette - I totally agree with your statement!

By the way, some shorts that come down to the knee or below the knee cover up a lot more than some skimpy dresses that are thigh high and cut down to you know where.

And I agree with both of you. BTW you never hear anyone complaining about the skimpy dresses do you? :rolleyes:

There is no rule about Jeans in the dining room!
Yes, now. I learned that in Brian's post #6.
Even though you & I do not wear Jeans in the dining room for dinner, does not give us the right to dictate what we believe the rule should be! And we can't make up a Rule that does not exist..
I don't object to jeans in the dining room at all. I never have, even when they weren't allowed. I don't care what other people wear or don't wear. I don't care if men or women go topless in the dining room if the rules allowed it! :eek:
I have never seen a rule against the topless deck either! Have you?
No, but I can also think of a lot of behaviors that aren't specifically prohibited in print that would get me put off the ship.

I was responding to hikergirl's post (#18) that implied that it's okay to do whatever you like as long as it "feels comfortable" regardless of what the rules may or may not say about the situation.

There you go AGAIN!

Hiker Girl said:

Wear what you feel comfortable in and don't worry about all the people on this site that think jeans are bad.

You put false words in her mouth by insinuating that she said this:

regardless of what the rules may or may not say about the situation.

SHE SAID NOTHING ABOUT WHAT RULES MAY OR MAY NOT SAY! Those are YOUR words. :rolleyes:

Just another comment. Obviously, people are thinking twice about wearing jeans or why would they always post the comment "are jeans ok in the dining room"? Or post, "are casual slacks ok on formal night"? If someone is wondering if that type of dress is appropriate then obviously then feel uncomfortable with what they have in mind. If you follow the suggested dress code of the ship then you will never have to ask the questions or feel out of place. When selecting a ship, why not look into dress code ahead of time. Your travel agent or the line itself can and DOES advise what dress code that they expect of their guests. If one is not comfortable with the dress code requested, why sail on that line? Why would you book a ship that asks that you dress in a certain manner in the evening and then not want to do it. Just my opinion.

Barbara

There you go AGAIN!

Hiker Girl said:

You put false words in her mouth by insinuating that she said this:

SHE SAID NOTHING ABOUT WHAT RULES MAY OR MAY NOT SAY! Those are YOUR words. :rolleyes:

That's right. She didn't say it's okay to wear jeans in the dining room because the rules allow it. She said it's okay because you should "Wear what you feel comfortable in ..."

That's right. She didn't say it's okay to wear jeans in the dining room because the rules allow it. She said it's okay because you should "Wear what you feel comfortable in ..."

Nice editing job on my post. :rolleyes:

I was responding to hikergirl's post (#18) that implied that it's okay to do whatever you like as long as it "feels comfortable" regardless of what the rules may or may not say about the situation.

YOU put words in her mouth. She implied/insinuated NOTHING of the sort.

Nice editing job on my post. :rolleyes:

YOU put words in her mouth. She implied/insinuated NOTHING of the sort.

I didn't edit your post at all. The system omits the quotes within quotes.

Just another comment. Obviously, people are thinking twice about wearing jeans or why would they always post the comment "are jeans ok in the dining room"? Or post, "are casual slacks ok on formal night"? If someone is wondering if that type of dress is appropriate then obviously then feel uncomfortable with what they have in mind. If you follow the suggested dress code of the ship then you will never have to ask the questions or feel out of place. When selecting a ship, why not look into dress code ahead of time. Your travel agent or the line itself can and DOES advise what dress code that they expect of their guests. If one is not comfortable with the dress code requested, why sail on that line? Why would you book a ship that asks that you dress in a certain manner in the evening and then not want to do it. Just my opinion.

Barbara

Because Common Sense is dead; possible suicide. :)

Cheers

Mark

I've been reading some of the threads on HAL lately because we're considering a cruise with HAL to Alaska.

I am glad to learn that jeans are ok on casual nights, especially on Alaskan cruises. I couldn't see me going on an excursion to a glacier in dress khaki trousers. This will help make packing a bit easier, however, I would plan on wearing some nice slacks to some casual dinners as well as jeans.

I spotted some people wearing jeans onboard RCL ships in the past - but they weren't torn or frayed. Nothing was said. After all, people pay for their own vacations, meaning that others shouldn't be bothered what other people are wearing.

we'll be on the Osterdam next week,and can't wait. We'll be dressing up for dinner, and I'm looking forward to it.

But, if HAL is going to compete in the market, dress codes will need to keep with the demands of the clients. The average 20-30 somethings,I think, don't want to have mandatory formal dining. I know that will bother some, but I think it's a reality.

Actually, they are allowed on Casual Nights - that rule changed about a year or so ago...

I really wish they would just say it on the website or in the "know before you go" booklet, then maybe people would stop taking shots at each other on here.

we'll be on the Osterdam next week,and can't wait. We'll be dressing up for dinner, and I'm looking forward to it.

But, if HAL is going to compete in the market, dress codes will need to keep with the demands of the clients. The average 20-30 somethings,I think, don't want to have mandatory formal dining. I know that will bother some, but I think it's a reality.

They may or may not, who knows at this point. Personally I am surprised that Carnival hasn't, they are more aimed at the 20-30 demographic you mention. On our Mexico cruise we were definitely some of the younger people aboard (30's) and the dress was generally more formal than I expected. I think HAL is a tough sell for many younger cruisers and those with families as they just don't have the amenities of RCCL, Disney, etc. Not sure how HAL will compete there, but I certainly find them fine as they are, and they are a good value for the fares they charge

Have a great time on Oosterdam, we will be aboard again in about a month

John-

Perhaps I'm a prude, but I think there's a big difference in having to look at a man's body hair at the dining room table versus jeans.

In my opinion, we're dealing with apples and oranges here. (Don't even get me started about men wearing tank-tops in ANY dining venue.... even the Lido Buffet) :eek:

YUCKERS!

Or a Gal's!:eek:

We don't own any jeans.

JMO - but seeing people in jeans makes me think that they just came from the farm.

Sho'nuff! I don't know where you're from, but out here in Inneeannuh, we like nuthin' better after a long day of milkin' cows an' sloppin' hogs than to belly up to some fancy white-table-cloth-frenchy restrant for dinner! All we do iz brush off the bigger clumps of manure an' mud from our pants and its all good.

Give me a break!! I'm just thankful that the crew and staff on board Holland America ships are more hospitable and welcoming to those of us who do like to wear a nice pair of Levis or whatever with a nice shirt to dinner than some of the members here.

Sho'nuff! I don't know where you're from, but out here in Inneeannuh, we like nuthin' better after a long day of milkin' cows an' sloppin' hogs than to belly up to some fancy white-table-cloth-frenchy restrant for dinner! All we do iz brush off the bigger clumps of manure an' mud from our pants and its all good.

Give me a break!! I'm just thankful that the crew and staff on board Holland America ships are more hospitable and welcoming to those of us who do like to wear a nice pair of Levis or whatever with a nice shirt to dinner than some of the members here.

Good post , Jim.:)

Archived