Our b2b experience

retiredslug

Having gained much valuable information from this site we're happy to share our July sailing experience on Oceania. We just returned from back to back cruises on the Black & Mediterranean Seas on Nautica, July 2 through July 28. For perspective, we are a married couple; I'm 62 and my wife is 56, assuming I submit this review before August. We're fairly well traveled but felt like rookies compared to many on this ship. According to the Cruise Director, approximately 300 of the 684 passengers had previously cruised with Oceania (on the first segment, the Black Sea). We fortunately selected the same aft cabin for both segments, 7121, concierge level, and loved the extra large veranda. We had previously sailed on the Tahitian Princess so we were familiar with the general layout of Nautica.

To the point--this was our very best cruise experience. Prior to this sailing the Celebrity Summit won our top rating for food but Oceania's cuisine was substantially better in our opinion. We are not "foodies" but those that we met on board agreed the food was outstanding.

The service on this ship was impressive--almost all of the service people somehow convince you that they truly enjoy serving the passenger. Most personnel on other ships seem to simply go through the motions but these folks are amazing. The individual responsible for selecting the service workers should be commended. Our cabin attendant, Oksana, won us over by acquiring a lounge for the veranda when reception told us that it would be very difficult. This acquisition was so important to us because the experience poolside, especially on the few sea days, was trying at best. Very crowded conditions and some rude behavior regarding saving lounges but let's keep this about Oceania. Oceania continually addressed this issue.

Another situation that set Oceania apart was a simple miscommunication in our wine order. Long story short, the sommelier insisted we accept a free bottle of wine because of some minor confusion the previous night. Absolutely unnecessary but much appreciated.

We selected the Oceania excursion package for the Black Sea portion and were satisfied with the excursions and efficiency with which they were conducted. We knew there was always a possibility of ports being changed at the last minute so we played it safe and used Oceania excursions exclusively--we don't mind paying a little extra for the convenience of having it all arranged for us. We also let Oceania arrange our air travel and were pleasantly surprised by the flight itinerary. It's not easy traveling from Tucson to Athens but their flights were as good as any that I could locate on the internet.

One item of concern for us was the unexpectedly high number of young people (under 21) on this ship. We had anticipated an almost all adult group and were surprised so many teenagers were on this cruise, especially the second segment. Not a problem but----

Would we cruise Oceania again?--absolutely, but probably not during summer months. Are they perfect? No. Certainly the transfer from the airport to the ship could have been expedited but waiting for another passenger's missing luggage caused a delay, testing our patience (and surely theirs) after approximately 24 hours of travel. Yes, they charge more for wine than some lines but they also allow you to bring bottles on board for private consumption--so it all works out. It was fun finding local Greek or Italian wines to sip on the veranda. Actually, being on a ship with mostly nonsmokers, wonderful dining options, no formal evenings, and world class ports makes for a self-indulgent month of cruising. As accurately stated on these boards Oceania's berries, burgers, and breads rule the seas.

Every ship we've been on during the summer has had many kids. So, we travel other times of the year.:) We're doing a b2b in February. Were you able to stay put on the ship or did you have to get off after the first segment? Did you have to get up early????:eek:

Esther

Thanks for posting your review on the Nautica. We will be cruising on her for 35 days in April and I always enjoy reading everything I can about her.

We too have cruised twice on the Tahitian Princess, the last time in June and we have also been on the Pacific Princess so know the ships well. We are looking forward to a much more upmarket experience on Oceania with much better food than we had only a month go. We found the buffet to be very ordinary.

Jennie

Every ship we've been on during the summer has had many kids. So, we travel other times of the year.:) We're doing a b2b in February. Were you able to stay put on the ship or did you have to get off after the first segment? Did you have to get up early????:eek:

Esther

Yes, we should have realized that even a two week cruise leaving from Istanbul might have more young people during the summer. You will really enjoy the turnover day--we had informed our cabin attendant and she was grateful she didn't have to worry about us because they are so busy preparing all the other cabins for new arrivals. We had the run of the ship. Did our laundry then took a taxi to downtown Istanbul to visit the underground cistern which was not included in the previous day's tour. Also, about two days before the end of the first segment you can make your reservations for the specialty restaurants for the next segment ahead of anyone else.

We are sailing on 08 Sept 07, on the Regatta, Cabin 7116, maybe the next cabin over? from where you were, I did not check this site, prior to this email, please let us know, if you still feel this is a great cabin, and we also have this same cabin, same ship for a Pamama Canal cruise, on 28 Jan, 08 out of LA., Thanks.

We are sailing on 08 Sept 07, on the Regatta, Cabin 7116, maybe the next cabin over? from where you were, I did not check this site, prior to this email, please let us know, if you still feel this is a great cabin, and we also have this same cabin, same ship for a Pamama Canal cruise, on 28 Jan, 08 out of LA., Thanks.

Yes, you are correct--cabin 7116 is next to 7121. I think you will be congratulating yourselves on your selection because not only is the veranda large but the cabin location is relatively quiet with little passenger traffic in the hallway. We felt that if these cabins were not available then the two below, 6093 and 6090 (I don't think these are concierge level) would also be fine choices. Actually I believe the verandas on the 6th deck are slightly larger than those on deck 7.

I've heard of concerns from some who've sailed stern cabins on these ships about vibration issues. Any comment on this?

We have sailed MANY times on Celebrity Millenium Class and also RCCL Radiance Class stern cabins and love them. We're ready to try Oceania and are considering the 7th or 6th deck stern cabins.

Any advice?

• 5 months later...

Archived