Best alternative to HAL?

oh2gocruisin

DH and I are interested in a med cruise in Sept. or Oct. 2008. In looking at the HAL itineraries for this time frame, we haven't been able to find one that quite fits what we're looking for. Ideally, we'd like Venice to Barcelona with a good variety of Greek Island ports (definitely Athens), as well as some in Italy and maybe France, along the way to Barcelona. The longest one we could take would be 12-14 days. I've found a couple on Princess and Celebrity but have never cruised with either of them. Our first cruise was a med cruise last year on the Noordam, so we were spoiled early! Anyway, I said all of that to ask for input about which cruise line some of you seasoned cruisers think is most comparable to HAL? Princess or Celebrity? Alternatively, is it likely that HAL will add any itineraries to that region? Thanks for any suggestions.

Kathy

Given your delight with your Noordam cruise Celebrity is likely closest. Princess is close but maybe just less so. I think you may find that no itinerary will go to all the places you described. But you will have lots of choices.:) :D :) :D

I selected Grand Princess in Oct '08. We don't leave out of Barcelona though. We depart Civitavecchia (Rome), to Monte Carlo, Livorno (Florence), Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi (Turkey), Mykonos, Athens, Olympia, Corfu and end in Venice Italy. It's 12 days.

I've cruised HAL and Celebrity. This will be my first cruise with Princess. We'll see how it compares.

Good luck finding what you are looking for, then have a great cruise.

I think X comes the closest to HAL but those Med cruises are so port intensive, the cruise line/ ship is often less a factor than the desinations for many cruisers.

I would choose intinerary first.

OK, now this will probably muddy the waters a little. We have done six cruises on Princess and enjoy that line almost as much as HAL. We did one cruise on X, and although they do many things well, communication is not one of them. They pride themselves on the fact that they do little or no announcing. The front desk seems to have a policy that the customers is always wrong.

We didn't care for X food. They make an attempt at gourmet, and we are part of the biscuits and gravy crowd. We believe that all of the world's great food originated as peasant food.

There just is no comparison between the staff of HAL and X. X is into the euro-chic arrogance. I know some people enjoy that, but I like the smiles of our Indonesian staff much better. And the Phillipino crew are born and bred to be seamen, a proud ten thousand year history of it.! They are very highly skilled at what they do.

Bottom Line is Holland America and Princess are our favorite cruise lines. For us, X isn't even in the equation.

Kathy,

Have you cruised with Cunard? They have a wide variety of cruises to the regions you're interested in visiting next year. QM2, QE2 are in a complete league with Holland America. These are first class ships, with superb food and service. Plus the brand new Queen Victoria has some appealing itineraries as well.

Jonathan

DH and I are interested in a med cruise in Sept. or Oct. 2008. In looking at the HAL itineraries for this time frame, we haven't been able to find one that quite fits what we're looking for. Ideally, we'd like Venice to Barcelona with a good variety of Greek Island ports (definitely Athens), as well as some in Italy and maybe France, along the way to Barcelona. The longest one we could take would be 12-14 days. I've found a couple on Princess and Celebrity but have never cruised with either of them. Our first cruise was a med cruise last year on the Noordam, so we were spoiled early! Anyway, I said all of that to ask for input about which cruise line some of you seasoned cruisers think is most comparable to HAL? Princess or Celebrity? Alternatively, is it likely that HAL will add any itineraries to that region? Thanks for any suggestions.

Kathy

Kathy:

Have you considered Oceania Cruises? They have some interesting itineraries for Sept/Oct of 2008. Venice to Athens, and Istanbul to Venice are just a couple that might interest you. They offer quite a selection Western and Eastern Mediterranean itineraries.

Then you can come back and tell us how it was:) Oceania is definitely on my "future possibility" list. So is Regent. However, Regent is considered a "luxury" option, while Oceania, like HAL, is classified as "premium".

Karin

OK, now this will probably muddy the waters a little. We have done six cruises on Princess and enjoy that line almost as much as HAL. We did one cruise on X, and although they do many things well, communication is not one of them. They pride themselves on the fact that they do little or no announcing. The front desk seems to have a policy that the customers is always wrong.

We didn't care for X food. They make an attempt at gourmet, and we are part of the biscuits and gravy crowd. We believe that all of the world's great food originated as peasant food.

There just is no comparison between the staff of HAL and X. X is into the euro-chic arrogance. I know some people enjoy that, but I like the smiles of our Indonesian staff much better. And the Phillipino crew are born and bred to be seamen, a proud ten thousand year history of it.! They are very highly skilled at what they do.

Bottom Line is Holland America and Princess are our favorite cruise lines. For us, X isn't even in the equation.

Does Princess also have an Indonesian staff?

Kathy,

Have you cruised with Cunard? They have a wide variety of cruises to the regions you're interested in visiting next year. QM2, QE2 are in a complete league with Holland America. These are first class ships, with superb food and service. Plus the brand new Queen Victoria has some appealing itineraries as well.

Jonathan

I agree - I think that a Med Cruise on Cunard's new Queen Victoria is much more appealing than X...

Kathy

I strongly recommend WindStar Cruises. We were aboard the Windsurf last September, Barcelona to Lisbon. This was probably the best cruise that we have ever taken. Holland America is still our favorite "large ship" line, but once you have had the opportunity of sailing on a Windstar ship you will be a fan forever.

We had a lovely cruise on the Royal Olympia line. They're no longer cruising from the US, but I'll bet that they're still active in Europe.

It's a GREEK line.

(Talk about eye-candy!!!!!!) ;)

Unfortunately I understand that they have ceased trading. A lot of their ships are now sailing with Louis Hellenic Cruises (the company that owned the Sea Diamond).

If you are going to consider a Verandah or above, I highly suggest that you consider Regent. Their fares in September are very comparable to those of other lines when you consider that all the rooms are suites, and they are all inclusive - which means all tips, almost all liquor, all shipboard activities and the food is absolutely fantastic. There is NO SIGNING CHECKS for anything. The service is fantastic. Many of their 2008 rates now include air fare. We have sailed them in Europe and they are the best line we have cruised. Although they are a premium line, it is relaxed and friendly.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This will give me several options to look into which, to me, is part of the fun. I had not considered some of the lines mentioned but will definitely check them out. Next fall seems like an eternity from now but our time frame for travel will be so limited I want to be sure we get the best itinerary, ship, cabin selection and price possible. Am I right in thinking that there are rarely any significant price reductions on med cruises from the initial pricing offered by the cruise line? I know the price can vary somewhat, but I haven't noticed any "deep discounts" on these cruises. I'm sure I'll have other questions as time goes by. Thanks again.

Kathy

We have sailed on numerous cruise lines, including HAL, Celebrity, Silversea, Regent and one Royal Caribbean cruise. All were great fun, and the service on all was outstanding. Royal Caribbean is a mass market line, so it tends to be more lively and a little less luxurious.

I do agree that Regent is offering some very appealing fares in Europe, and their cruises are all-inclusive. Service is friendly and relaxed on Regent. I do think, however, that often the passengers are older, so take that into account if you enjoy a broader spectrum of ages on board. By older, I mean 70's and 80's. They are a well-travelled lot and pleasant. You would probably find quite a few small groups of friends on board who travel together often.

At the moment, we have cruises booked on HAL, Cunard and Royal Caribbean. Just being on a ship is a treat.

By the way, I have never found Celebrity stuffy at all. Our cabin stewards and dining room stewards have all been wonderful, pleasant gentlemen and ladies. If you sail more than once on a Celebrity ship, it is likely that some of the staff will remember you, too. Celebrity is an excellent cruise line.

I love HAL, but when cruising to Europe now I choose the itinerary over the ship (hence we're sailing Costa this coming Feb).

We took the Millennium itinerary in October and it was very nice, as was the ship, the service (etc), but it still was not HAL.

That being said, when looking at itineraries be sure to consider time spent in port as well as the ports themselves. One of the highlights for us was being able to celebrate sunset in Santorini because of the late sailaway.

Archived