Take A Vote...do You Enjoy Dressing Up???

CGTNORMANDIE

i agree. it hink this is a good indication of the pax attitudes towards evening attire. on the more combative threads poster start referring to the pro dressers as "snobs" or "faux rich". so rather than get into sensless confrontations we back off leaving only the con dressers to control the thread thus giving the appearance of an overwhelming majority. but the fact still remains that most cruisers choose celeb for the affordable cruising tradition.

My husband and I love to dress for formal nights and semi formal nights. We feel that's all part of the cruise experience. If I wanted to wear jeans or shorts for dinner I would stay home. We don't have any restaurants in our small town that require jacket and tie or a tux for men or evening dresses for women. I think my husband looks great in a tux and I always look forward to seeing him in it. We feel if you don't want to dress for dinner then cruise on Carnival or NCL they really don't care what you wear. My husband and I take the dress thing one step further......we match all our outfits to one another!!! I know some people might think thats overborard, but shopping for new clothes for a trip seems to make the cruising experience last longer. We have cruised 18 times, mostly with Celebrity. We travel over the Christmas and New Years Eve holidays and everyone dresses. I hope Celebrity never changes. We are Captain's Club members (Elite class) and we will always cruise on Celebrity, it's simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name='slimmcd@aol.con']1. We feel if you don't want to dress for dinner then cruise on Carnival or NCL they really don't care what you wear.

2. My husband and I take the dress thing one step further......we match all our outfits to one another!!!

1: Please don't start that. For many many people what they wear to dinner is not the criteria used for selecting a cruise. People can cruise on the line of the choice.

2. Oh my...

You might be shocked to know but...there are currently huge fights going on about how to dress on Carnival. The Carnival fleet has been much improved over the past 3 years and now there are pax complaining about sloppy dress in the DR.

DUCK makes an excellent point...evidently the folks who were against dressing up were the most vocal on the boards. I think we are all surprised to see that MORE THAN 90% OF THE CELELBRITY PAX are in favor of following the dress code and 76% really love it!!!

MY POINT IS THIS...Let's try and keep our discussion focused on CELEBRITY. CELEBRITY has always tried to maintain the traditional dress code from the time it was CHANDRIS CRUISES and onwards to the advent of the MERIDIAN, which was the first CELEBRITY ship. I believe that the survey shows that most pax appreciate the tradition.

THANKS,

ROSS

[quote name='CGTNORMANDIE'] I think we are all surprised to see that [b]MORE THAN 90% OF THE CELEBRITY PAX[/b] are in favor of following the dress code and 76% really love it!!![/QUOTE]
Actually these figures are a misnomer. It only represents a small sample of the total members of CruiseCritic or even the total posters to the Celebrity board. Since CC only represents maybe 1% at best of the entire cruising public, these figures are not representative of who is actually cruising. However, it does indicate that contrary to the opinion seemed to be echoed time and time again that it is not a huge problem majority of people not following the dress code.

Recent posts would seem to indicate otherwise. "Don't bother to bring dressy clothes for some ship" is one from recent memory.

What has been shown here by the small amount of respondents is that the best food IS served in the dining room. I don't know about you, but I go to a dining room to eat not to see and be seen. I imagine a majority of the passengers do too.

I think that the respondents are a very strong indication of the average numbers. Most folks who post on CC CELEBRITY are tired of the dress code threads. The respondents on this thread are "the die hards" both pro and con. I really think we have a valid response and a sample that will stand the test. You are entitled to your opinion...I will put you down as "not in favor of but will do it anyway".

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE,

ROSS

The definition of dressing up is interperated differently with the location of said dressing. For instance how many suits have you seen in Hawaii? Or how many Aloha Shirts at the Met? hmmmm good point flagger. good point

[quote name='janjay']The definition of dressing up is interperated differently with the location of said dressing. For instance how many suits have you seen in Hawaii? Or how many Aloha Shirts at the Met? hmmmm good point flagger. good point[/QUOTE]That's true, but we're talking about being on the ship where there is a requested dress, not at a luau ashore.

However the cruiselines do not sell the ship as the destination. Take a look at all of the pretty brochures. Not one of them lists the destination as XXX ship. They all have a locale or part of the world listed as the primary destination.

If they did sell the ship, you would see four colour brochures marketing cruises to nowhere on their covers.

Flagger,
I love you, but that was a complete non- sequiter. I personally don't notice what others are wearing when I'm on my cruise...I'm too busy enjoying myself. I'm sure you know what the point was. The ship has a requested dress code regardless of where the ship is sailing. Besides, there's nothing more handsome than a man with a tan wearing his tux or dinner jacket. It really has nothing to do with whether you or I or anyone else agrees...it's the policy of the cruiseline and if we don't like it we can go elsewhere. Is there really a problem with people having a choice as to what kind of cruise experience they want or do we have to be like Communists and all be the same. There are plenty of cruiselines for those who want that totally "relaxed experience", it just seems that the majority of the people who love Celebrity like it just the way it is.

And you know that I am begrudingly respecting the dress code for our first cruise. Our next planned cruise to a different locale will be packed for and attire planned entirely differently.

The dress code was the furthest thing from my mind when picking this line for this destination.

flagger, exactly. What I wear to dinner has little or no bearing on the cruise I choose. (hey that was poetic!) I dress up and I enjoy doing so, also enjoy seeing my dh dressed for the evening. However I do not believe that would be sufficient reason to choose a cruisline!

Ma Bell:
"do we have to be like Communists and all be the same. "

Isn't the fact that folks want all the men in tuxes and women in gowns asking us to "all be the same"? I really like your posts and agree with so many but I feel this arguement could be used by both sides of the discussion.

It surely would not be the only reason to choose a cruiseline. Just one of many. I'm sure you understood that the point was that there should be choices of a more formal or less formal cruise experience. There are plenty of the less formal kind in the larger ship cruise market. If all the ships had a choice of wearing whatever you want, then there would be no choice would there?

You don't have to wear your tux ashore... Only on board on the designated evenings. Destination has nothing to do with it! Why would it? To state that the cruise lines are not marketing the ship is a good one (har! har!) all the advertising top to bottom emphasizes the ship. If the lines weren't marketing the ship then there would have been no commercial need or drive to double then triple per ship gross tonnage and amenities over the past 15 years. It's amazing to think that when launched in 1995 Sun Princess at 77KGT was the largest cruise ship afloat.

But then you'll probably have a greater appreciation for this point after you've ACTUALLY been on a cruise ship...

[quote name='woodofpine']Destination has nothing to do with it! Why would it?
[/QUOTE]

If that is correct why would the Alaska cruises be much more casual, not only during the day but also in the evening? It has been noted on here from many different people that the Alaska cruises are much more casual. Why? Could it be the destination?

[color=sienna][b]cruisyguy[/b] writes: [QUOTE]"Formal," while nice, is really now impractical with the airlines' luggage restrictions and other air travel hassles.[/QUOTE][/color]
By the time we pack our pillows and enough casual clothing for a 14 day trip, we have already exceeded the weight limit on our suitcases. The last time, we packed our toiletries and shoes in a separate suitcase because of the weight restrictions. So that means 3 suitcases to schlup. Add to that, a suit carrier and I'm IN A BAD MOOD already. I am not a pack horse.

I am wondering how many of these "formal" people drive to port?

Alaska is more casual (as are I imagine Tahiti cruises) because of the mind set of the passengers, rather than any element of the ship or cruiseline product offering.

Fortunately, I get to drive to port much of the time. But I never considered packing formal to be an imposition when departing San Juan or in the Med. Of course, my man-servant looks after the baggage and packing...:)

You should see what's involved in schlepping a family of 6 to the rockies or the alps to ski (snow suits, boots, etc.; esp. the alps where mountain railroads are also often involved)! But, if skiing is what I want to do then I pack appropriately for it, and if cruising is what I want to do - I pack appropriately for it! Contrary to Flagger's "experience", cruise ships and cruising is a heck of lot more than transportation to a destination...

flagger

if you have the brochure dont only look at the colored pics on the cover. feel free to open it and read it. please pay close attention to the part concerning evening attire. this is what you are signing up for. it is actually an agreement between pax and cruisline. the passanger agress to such and such and the cruisline in return will provide blah blah blah. by choosing a x cruise one choose a certain style of crusing. please dont try to reinvent the wheel. i personally dont care what people wear. but dont say its ok to underdress....its not. are there penalties....no. this is x's fault not the pax. i am sure we will all have a great time either way:)

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=magenta]YOU KNOW...... :rolleyes: it is FUNNY that SOMEONE :rolleyes: is SO concerned about what & when i post something...... :rolleyes: GEEZ,,,, i must be SOMETHING special..... :p [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=#ff00ff]BTW.... you spelled your big high falutent word WRONG...... :p [/color][/size][/font]

[quote name='woodofpine']Alaska is more casual (as are I imagine Tahiti cruises) because of the mind set of the passengers, rather than any element of the ship or cruiseline product offering[/QUOTE]

That was exactly JanJays point...

[quote name='janjay']The definition of dressing up is interperated differently with the location of said dressing. [/QUOTE]

The destination of the ships seem to have a direct impact to the attire of the passengers - if it is right or wrong that is for everyone to decide.

Archived