Take A Vote...do You Enjoy Dressing Up???

CGTNORMANDIE

I have always enjoyed the CELEBRITY cruise experience because most pax follow the dress code. The atmosphere onboard always seems more refined when all the pax are dressed up in the evening.

How many of you enjoy this experience and feel that the CELEBRITY dress code should be followed???

Do you feel that dressing up is fun??? Do you think that dressing up improves the atmosphere onboard??? Do you think that dressing up improves the social atmosphere and general deportment of the pax???

If you don't like to dress up...will you now consider using a more casual cruise line on your next cruise??? Or do you want to stay with CELEBRITY???

ROSS

This is one aspect of cruising and cruising on X in particular that got us hooked! DH in particular loves having an excuse to twirl around the dance floor in his tux! And, IMHO, he really does look super!

For us, we have so few occasions to do this sort of thing that it really adds to the whole experience.

I am quite happy to dress formally for an appropriate occasion: opening night at the Met; the New Year's Eve production and gala ball at the Vienna State Opera; a reception for an important public figure, etc. A cruise ship does not offer anything that merits such dress. (Golly, it's the Chinese acrobats at tonight's show! And that marvelous magician feller!) I've dined at Lutece, the Four Seasons, Le Cirque, and the like--where the food and ambiance far exceed any cruise ship--and never felt need for formal attire.

Cruise ships have formal nights as a device to sell more photographs, nothing more. (Look, Gladys, I'm wearing a tuxedo! Hot damn! We'd better buy a lot of pictures!)

We fall in the "love it" category. Not sure I'd go for it every night but really looking forward to the 3 formal nights on our next cruise. I grew up in a military home and have worked for the military my whole adult life. One of the things I've always liked are the formal occasions...just a part of me. And, ExaltHim....thanks for your consideration to those of us that do like formal attire. :)

We on the other hand we tolerate the dressing up, it is not an important part of our vacation, my husband very much dislikes it, in fact he has only owned two suits in our 34 yrs of marriage, and one he bought last year for our Zenith cruise. We have been on 12 cruises. He was not impressed when we were invited to join the Captain for dinner one evening, once there (even tho only one in a suit) he realized the attire did not make the evening. Please do not suggest we cruise on another line as we have and this is just us, we choose to cruise on the X line because we like the ships and the itinaries.

Marjorie

i sometimes dont feel like going to all the trouble after being at Port all day snorkling,, shopping,, ect... if the formal days are on non Port days i am more apt to "dress up"..... ;) but i dont begrudge ANYONE for not doing so,, to EACH his OWN....... :D

Dress UP for sure.....we don't do it at home anymore....restaurants here in Sarasota NEVER require even a jacket...much less tie for guys...and I enjoy wearing the formal dress just a couple times a year. If you don't like it....go to the buffet that nite. (And, I violate "rules" and change later at nite back to the comfy clothes.)

Dressing up is no big treat for me, I do it all the time. By that I mean 2-6 times a month usually.

But I do enjoy it on a cruise ship anyway. I wouldn't dream of not following the dress code on formal nights.

I'm sure that sales of portraits makes for a very nice revenue. However, I think the majority of cruisers enjoy the formal nights and that is the primary reason for formal nights. I like the fact that Celebrity seems to be enforcing the dress standards more than the other lines. Just booked Horizon for Feb for the second cruise on her.

Although not as experienced a cruiser as some on this board, my wife and I, and now our son, have cruised enough that we are "tired" of the formal dressing requirements, not just on Celebrity but on cruiselines in general. We have always honored them in the past, but we decided on our last cruise that was it! NO MORE! I have to wear suit and tie everyday for work. I sure don't want to do it on our vacations. We don't enjoy "dressing up" per se, but did it just to go along with the flow.

In the future, our choice of cruises will be affected in part by dress codes. We really like Celebrity, but yes, we'll be looking for other choices as well. I'm past the point of worrying about keeping up appearances for appearances sake! And understand, I have no problem with those who enjoy formality--we'll be looking for other choices.

Do you feel that dressing up is fun???

No

Do you think that dressing up improves the atmosphere onboard???

Nope. People make the atmosphere in a locale not the clothes they are wearing.

Do you think that dressing up improves the social atmosphere and general deportment of the pax???

Nope. On land some of the biggest boors have been the best dressed.

If you don't like to dress up...will you now consider using a more casual cruise line on your next cruise??? Or do you want to stay with CELEBRITY???

We will continue to book based solely on destination and price not because of a style of dress.

I love getting all dressed up, that's one of the big draws of cruising for me. I very rarely get a chance to do so at home so it's really fun for me. One of the reason I like Celebrity so much is because people seem to follow the dress codes more so than on other lines. But it doesn't bother me if other people choose not to dress up, that's totaly up to them.

Terri

My husband and I love to dress. My husband wears a suit and a tie everyday for work but does not mind. For those that wear it everyday and hate it should take a second and think if they are doing what they want in their lives. Life is too short to do something you really hate everyday. There are all types of cruises, some are freestyle and if you really hate to get dress maybe you should go on one of those. I don't say this meanly, I just mean that life has many choices so take the one you like best. I have only been on cruises that had formal nights on sea days and we always eat late seating so getting dressed for us is no bother. Pat

Archived