Feeling awkward about butler service

GLM

We booked a suite for our cruise because we wanted the room. We have several folks traveling with us and we wanted to provide a place to gather. Butler service comes with the room, and I frankly am a self sufficent sort not used to "service. " I don't want anyone else packing and unpacking my stuff. A balcony meal sounds interesting but I don't want anyone hovering around. What else do they do ?

Also, as we are tiping a butler already what sort of attention merits tipping above the standard rate ? I dont want to be stingy or foolishy over tip!

We had a butler for the first time this past March on Galaxy. He was wonderful. No unpacking or packing, very attentive but not intrusive.

We did have breakfast on the balcony and he just served it as a waiter would, asked what else we needed and then left us on our own. We ordered lunch on the balcony one day and asked if our friends could join us and he made the arrangements with our cabin steward who set the table and delivered everything right on time.

On the last day at sea we decided to have friends in. Our butler, Elvis (the best) set up tables on the veranda with fruit, cheese & crackers, ice buckets, we had champagne and he offered another bottle for us, orange and cranberry juices and whatever else we needed. It was great.

Don't worry about what to do with a butler. He'll also take care of any pressing needs you have and make any special arrangements you might need. They are very willing to do whatever and if you really treat them right they are a blessing in disguise. Wish we could do suites more often, I'm spoiled.

Pat C

It might help you to feel less awkward to know that your butler is shared by all the suites on your deck on your side of the ship. So, it's not like he's sitting around waiting for you to think up things for him to do. Really, he is just like a very good cabin steward who dresses up :)

I've been in suites three times, and ours was not hovering or obtrusive. We saw him whenever he brought tea and canapes, and also whenever we ordered breakfast or room service. One one trip, he somehow found out that it was our anniversary (I had only told the Asst. Maitre d' in the dining room, I didn't put it on our reservation or anything) and he surprised us with a bottle of champagne.

Just think of it this way: if you need anything or have any questions, your butler is your go-to person. He's a combination steward/customer service person who only works for a small number of guests at once, rather than for the entire ship (like with the people in Guest Relations).

Have fun and don't feel awkward, it's really all fine and fun.

Just back from the Century in the Baltics. We were in a Sky Suite. First time to have a butler. We usually go CC. Anyways, ours was Keith. PRECIOUS and so helpful! He was willing to go above and beyond for any whim we might have. For example, we were with a group of six. He offered to serve us dinner (the same being served in the main dining room) to all of us on our balcony one night. IT was so awesome!!!! The weather happened to be great that night. The meal was great....no one had to dress up (it was an informal night on the ship) and we just had the best time. He served it course by course as they would in the main dining room. At the end of the meal, we wrote him a thankful note and put it and a 50 dollar tip in an envelope. I went to give it to him and he refused. He said it is his job to cater us in that way. I finally told him that the envelope contained a note and he insisted that I just give him that part of it. I instead pulled a fast one and put the entire envelope in his jacket pocket and left the room. haha! I found it endearing that he was so resistant to the tip. (though, I am not naive, they love the extra tips as would we all?!)

Keith was always there for us when we needed him, but didn't hover. Which we appreciate. He arranged several last minute excursions for us. We didn't have to lift a finger, he went to the desk and did it all....not b/c we asked but b/c he offered.

Like you, I am self sufficient and not demanding. In fact, I am a stateroom attendants dream as I generally clean everything before they have a chance to! But, I really felt comfortable after having the extra service....he became a friend of sorts and my group really enjoyed him!

Enjoy the extra service. And I hope you get Keith on a future cruise!

:p Thank you everyone !

As our cruise date approaches I was getting more and more concerned.

Now I feel so much better. We have been concierge level at resorts before.

I like things like smoother embarkation and easier reservations.

Sounds like the butler service was a pleasant plus.

I am not a Butler person also, but it sounds like with a group you may have a good reason to use the butler. If you wish you may have a small party in your suite and have the Butler bring cheeses, canapes or other things and have a nice time with your friends. You don't need to use the services but they are there for the asking. We had a lot of teasing with the butler from our friends so we just turned it around on them and teased them a bit. Have a good time.

GLM - Please relax and enjoy your vacation. Everyone has had great suggestions. We always travel in suites and I have a smile on my face with warm memories of Elvis (we agree the best we have had) and Keith (also very good).

The butler's task is to take care of your needs and to help you when you need help. Although packing and unpacking are listed as a duty - we have never had it offered nor did we request it. He can be particularly helpful in getting you a reservation at the specialty restaurant, making shore excursions etc.

Unless you ask for special assistance generally you will get the standard butler service - Brining your breakfast order (if you choose to dine in your room), Tea Cart Service in the afternoon and delivery of a small tray of hour dourves.

He should be like a good waiter always available if you should need him but in the shadows at other times. Do remember that he is taking care of about 20+ other rooms.

I always find it the most comfortable to but up front with the butler on the first day and let him know the level of service I would like. Find out the hours he is off duty so I don't disturb him when he has a break.

I also like to ask what type notice he would like to prepare for parties I may be planning.

Relax and enjoy - Your butler is there to help you enjoy if you don't want him to do anything I have listed above just tell him. He will also be pleased to let you be you.

Jim

Archived