menu-what can we expect

billsbrowneyedgirl

Our first cruise is this Oct, a quick little jaunt from Seattle (vancouver, Nanaimo, BC) and back, on the Mercury.

Of course we are so looking foward to the food, since it is one of the biggest talked about cruise topics.

Who know's the menu? Or do thing like this vary.

Also, reading up, it seems we will have one "informal" night. Just how informal do most people go? is a l/s shirt, tie, nice slacks ok for hubby, too much, to little, what about a sport jacket??

I have asked so many questions, and gotten great answers, thanks so much.

Our first cruise is this Oct, a quick little jaunt from Seattle (vancouver, Nanaimo, BC) and back, on the Mercury.

Of course we are so looking foward to the food, since it is one of the biggest talked about cruise topics.

Who know's the menu? Or do thing like this vary.

Also, reading up, it seems we will have one "informal" night. Just how informal do most people go? is a l/s shirt, tie, nice slacks ok for hubby, too much, to little, what about a sport jacket??

I have asked so many questions, and gotten great answers, thanks so much.

I've never been a an X cruise this short, but I have enjoyed the Mercury and am sure that you will also.

At least on longer cruises most will wear a sport jacket for informal nights [X policy is jacket and tie]. Given the locale, I'd take the sport coat and figure that I could also use it as one of my potential layers as needed. Enjoy.

On the Baltic cruise with Century, which ended last week, dress code had almost completely eroded. Hardly any tie on formal evenings and lots of jeans.

The menu is the same on all Celebrity ships and for four or five years. Eating in the main dining room is like in a good restaurant in a midwestern town, so expect that steaks are always good, but not gourmet cuisine.

We cruised on Mercury last summer, just two weeks after our friends, who raved about the food. We weren't as impressed; when we discussed this later, we discovered that they'd eaten mainly meat dishes, while we ate only seafood and vegetarian fare. The veggie options were almost always quite good, but we were very disappointed in the seafood (particularly on a cruise to Alaska!). So the lesson is---stick to the meat and vegetarian choices, and you can't go wrong!

We did a Pacific NW itin awhile ago & Mercury was great! The dress code was followed by most on board & the food was excellent as I recall but the shows not so good. Many of the cruisers were from the W Coast so it gave us a nice chance to meet folks from out there..... We stopped at Astoria Oregon whixh we did not care for but we loved Nainamo--Victoria & Butchart Gardens was another great stop. If you get a chance try to T pool, have a nice trip!

Welcome billsbrowneyedgirl, which day are you leaving Seattle? We're going Oct 22. Check out the "Roll Call" board to see if there are any other cc'ers on your cruise. If there are enough, Celebrity will have a party just for your group.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise, and we're looking forward to comparing it with the other lines we've tried.

Welcome billsbrowneyedgirl, which day are you leaving Seattle? We're going Oct 22. Check out the "Roll Call" board to see if there are any other cc'ers on your cruise. If there are enough, Celebrity will have a party just for your group.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise, and we're looking forward to comparing it with the other lines we've tried.

We leave the 26th.

On the Baltic cruise with Century, which ended last week, dress code had almost completely eroded.

Interesting. In which part of the dining room were you? We were on the same cruise and surrounded by tuxes and suits. I would estimate that in total, at least 90% was sticking to the dress code (in the dining room). The only exceptions I noticed were young kids or teens, which you are bound to bump into if you cruise in July...

On the Baltic cruise with Century, which ended last week, dress code had almost completely eroded. Hardly any tie on formal evenings and lots of jeans.

I'm not challenging you, zeitgeist. You were there and I wasn't. However, in my years of cruising, I've never once seen anything close to what you report above. I didn't watch Baltic prices for the 2007 sailing season, but they're never a bargain basement blowout like we see sometimes in FL and CA to firesale excess inventory. Nevermind the substantial cost and logistics of getting to the point of embarkation.

In my general experience, the more expensive and complex the cruise (incl city of embarkation), the more dressy the dining room.

I'm floored to hear your report above as it varies inversely with all my observations.

Archived