Is France closed on Sundays?

CaroleSP

We are taking the Connie T/A next month and our stop in LeHavre is on a Sunday. What are the odds of finding a cab or other transportation to Hon Fleur? Will anything be open for us to see and do once we get there?

Any help is most welcome. Thanks.

France is open on Sundays. What, you think they close an entire country on Sundays? Just joking, because your question reminded me of a scene at the end of National Lampoon's Vacation when Clark Griswold asks Roy Wally what he would have done if when he got to Florida he found it was closed.

Anyway, back to your question. Not only is France open, but in Paris you can visit the museums for FREE on the 1st Sunday of the month. The Louvre, the Orsay and the Rodin museums are all free on the 1st Sunday of the month, and the fee is reduced from normal on each other Sunday.

I don't know about Honfleur. Check out this site for information:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Basse_Normandie/Honfleur-119934/TravelGuide-Honfleur.html

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

France is open on Sundays. What, you think they close an entire country on Sundays? Just joking, because your question reminded me of a scene at the end of National Lampoon's Vacation when Clark Griswold asks Roy Wally what he would have done if when he got to Florida he found it was closed.

Anyway, back to your question. Not only is France open, but in Paris you can visit the museums for FREE on the 1st Sunday of the month. The Louvre, the Orsay and the Rodin museums are all free on the 1st Sunday of the month, and the fee is reduced from normal on each other Sunday.

I don't know about Honfleur. Check out this site for information:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/France/Basse_Normandie/Honfleur-119934/TravelGuide-Honfleur.html

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Thanks for the website; it was very interesting. I just wish the posts were more recent. Lot from 2003.

It depends what you want to do in France. Restaurants will be open, but shops are generally closed on a sunday. However, dont let that stop you visiting Honfleur, its lovely there. Paris is a long way from Honfleur, a good few hours drive, mais c'est la vie!

We were on the Grand Princess when it docked in LeHavre on a Sunday last month. Our plan for the day was to go to Honfleur and we only managed it because we got lucky. Here's what to do. Go to the tourist information desk inside the building at the dock. They can give you the bus schedule. Then take a taxi from the dock to the bus station. The bus station will be closed on Sunday but you can buy your ticket on the bus. I have to go through my info and will get back to you later today about which bus you want and how much it costs (it was very reasonable but you will want to have euros with you). If the ship is offering a shuttle into LeHavre, do not use it. If it goes the same place as the Princess shuttle, you're far away from the bus station. It was far cheaper to just take a taxi directly to the bus.

We had purchased the Princess shuttle tickets days ahead of time. The morning we docked we found out the location of the bus station and the bus times. We only had 45 minutes to make it to the bus (we had moved rather slowly that morning). So, we tossed our shuttle tickets and grabbed a cab.

Honfleur is lovely and since it is a tourist town everything is open on Sunday. It was also very crowded. Weather had been ugly in that part of France for a couple of weeks and this was a beautiful day so the town was packed. Even at that, we had no trouble getting a table at restaurant for lunch and getting service when we shopped. There were just lots of folks milling about. Once you get off the bus in Honfleur, you are just steps away from tourist info place. They'll have maps and guides to all of the sights.

My husband and I are trying to remember the details and can't seem to get them all. However, we took the bus towards Caen that left at 10:45 a.m. Neither of us can remember the exact cost but it was quite reasonable. Maybe you can get that detail from someone else. The return was 4:30 or so which will give you plenty to time to wander about Honfleur.

We are taking the Connie T/A next month and our stop in LeHavre is on a Sunday. What are the odds of finding a cab or other transportation to Hon Fleur? Will anything be open for us to see and do once we get there?

Any help is most welcome. Thanks.

Yes, the French still respect Sunday - no supermarkets will be open - but there will be lots of restaurants where you can enjoy a wonderful meal, drink some wine and people watch!! What specifically do you want to see in Honfleur - it is a pretty harbour with several restaurants....

It depends what you want to do in France. Restaurants will be open, but shops are generally closed on a sunday. However, dont let that stop you visiting Honfleur, its lovely there. Paris is a long way from Honfleur, a good few hours drive, mais c'est la vie!

I'm so excited; after only 4 years of high school French, I can translate your post.:D

Tres Bien

My husband and I are trying to remember the details and can't seem to get them all. However, we took the bus towards Caen that left at 10:45 a.m. Neither of us can remember the exact cost but it was quite reasonable. Maybe you can get that detail from someone else. The return was 4:30 or so which will give you plenty to time to wander about Honfleur.
Thanks for all the great information. You are the only person to say the shops are open, as well. I don't know if I will want to enter any, but it is good to know. The bus tips are great.

Yes, the French still respect Sunday - no supermarkets will be open - but there will be lots of restaurants where you can enjoy a wonderful meal, drink some wine and people watch!! What specifically do you want to see in Honfleur - it is a pretty harbour with several restaurants....
We just wanted to go some place pretty and relaxing. My DH is taking his new hip for a spin and won't be doing any mountain climbing.

4 of us rented a car at the tourist info area and drove to Honfleur. I'd guess it was about 20 minutes.

Yes, carry Euros. Parking cost us almost as much as renting the car (well, maybe a bit of exaggeration.

Friends of ours tried to rent a car and was told that no place is open for rentals on Sunday.???

Thanks for the Euro tips, everyone. Any suggestions on where to get the least painful trade? We board the ship in England, so France is our first Euro stop.

Our cruise made a stop in Dublin which is not part of the UK and uses Euros so we had a supply when we got to LeHavre. There may be an ATM handy when you leave the ship. Certainly you could ask a cab driver to make a stop for you. There is an ATM available on the ship that dispenses Euros but I'm sure the exchange rate is hefty.

Our cruise made a stop in Dublin which is not part of the UK and uses Euros so we had a supply when we got to LeHavre. There may be an ATM handy when you leave the ship. Certainly you could ask a cab driver to make a stop for you. There is an ATM available on the ship that dispenses Euros but I'm sure the exchange rate is hefty.

We stop in Dublin, too. But it is not the first stop. Was there something you did in Dublin that you would call a "do not miss this?"

Carole, Stop at your local AAA office in PA and buy some Euros there before you leave America. You can buy a small amount there. We did that in 2005 for our TA. What I had left I cashed in on board the ship on the trip to America. Pat

We toured Trinity College and went to see the Book of Kells and the library there. After that we just wandered around to look at architecture and have lunch.

I know that the Guiness tour was very popular but I never heard any actual comments on it afterward (other than it was very crowded). As with many other cities, lots of people took the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus for a circuit to get an overview of the city.

If you are interested in the seeing the Book of Kells, do it early in the day as it just got more crowded as the day went on.

We toured Trinity College and went to see the Book of Kells and the library there. After that we just wandered around to look at architecture and have lunch.

I know that the Guiness tour was very popular but I never heard any actual comments on it afterward (other than it was very crowded). As with many other cities, lots of people took the Hop-On, Hop-Off bus for a circuit to get an overview of the city.

If you are interested in the seeing the Book of Kells, do it early in the day as it just got more crowded as the day went on.

Most of our "group is doing the HOHO bus. I think that's going to be it for us, too.

I am almost certain the UK doesn't use Euros, they still use the Pound Sterling.
I believe you are correct. We need to get a couple of hundred £ right away, as that is how we have to pay our driver for the trip from Stansted to Dover. We need the € for France the day after we board. It's a Sunday and I don't want to be stuck hunting for €.

We purchased Euros thru our local bank. They get them from a broker (?) in NYC. We had to pay $7 service charge, but they were here in 3 days. I called AAA and all they have are what they call "Tip Packs" - just a small amount to get you started...we wanted 300 Euros.

Hey Carol and Rod Pat --- Deb here --- your other PA friend. We were able to easily find an ATM right at the airport to get GBP. If you have a private transfer, they are also willing to stop at an ATM -- most convenience stores have one.

For Euros, we also used an ATM machine. Again, the ATM are usually easy to find and to me it is safer than carrying cash with you from the states.

In Dublin, we saw the Book of Kells and we also did the on and off bus. It will go to most of the areas including Guiness etc. Not sure how they are arranging your cruise but we did a cruise transfer provided by the ship for 10.00. You will need to take that since the port is not that close to the heart of Dublin.

Let me know if I can be of any more help. I forgot to ask Pam what other ports you are doing.

Deb

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get a straight answer from the bank about ATM fees in Europe, so we just went ahead and got what we needed from our bank. The 3 currency types arrived FedEx yesterday anything else I need, I'll charge or check the ATM rates. Most of our tours have been arranged and prepaid, so we are good there.

Deb, we are going to be in England (2 ports), France, Dublin, Cork, NF and NB before we end up in NJ. We did book the Hop on Hop off in Dublin and will figure out how to get there once we arrive. I hear there are lots of taxis and busses to take us to and from the pier.

Say hi to Joe.

France is generally NOT open Sundays. Supermarkets at the channel ports are open to cater for the cross-channel traffic. In small villages shut is shut except that restaurants may be open. Tabacs will probably be closed.

In La Rochelle last August the market and some shops were open but shut at 12 or 1 promptly. Several restaurants were shut.

France is also shut in August pour la vacance.

While supermarche may be open that is not what you will want!

France is generally NOT open Sundays. Supermarkets at the channel ports are open to cater for the cross-channel traffic. ........sorry, but you're wrong there, Supermarkets at the channel ports are not open on a sunday except during December for Christmas shopping....unless you mean the shops at the terminals, they of course are open :( In small villages shut is shut except that restaurants may be open. Tabacs will probably be closed.

In La Rochelle last August the market and some shops were open but shut at 12 or 1 promptly. Several restaurants were shut.

France is also shut in August pour la vacance. (les vacances ;) )

While supermarche may be open that is not what you will want!

I think this gives the impression that France ceases to function in August, its just their holiday time, but not everyone goes on holiday.

In Honfleur (30 min bus ride from LeHavre) everything was open on Sunday - museums, restaurants, shops, churches - and the town was packed with people. Only problem was the buses ran on Sunday schedules, which meant infrequent service.

Archived