Suggestions for Best Buys in Cozumel?

One of my favorite purchases from Cozumel may seem odd - a huge bottle of "Mundo Tropical" natural vanilla. Available all over. The "tourist" price still beats hands down what you'd pay at a grocery store, and the quality is great.

Thanks so much! I have purchased vanilla on our last two trips to Cozumel, but I never seem to bring enough home. Friends always know to ask when I return. I wonder what customs would say if I came home with a small suitcase filled with vanilla? :eek: Do you remember what you paid for the bottle? I think I ended up paying $4 each for small bottles last time.

Funny how friends catch on so fast, huh? :D I do the same....And I *have* gone through customs with not much more than vanilla in one suitecase! No one has busted me yet for bringing in "alcohol" (which is what it mainly is...)

Yes, about $4 for the small one. But, many places carry the humungous bottle for around $15 - 20. I now tell friends: "BYOB to my place, and I'll fill'er up." Much cheaper, if less elegant.

Anything in silver will be available. Shop around, and you're bound to see things similar from store to store. YES, you have to barter with the craftsmen to get the best deal. Set a price in your head, and don't budge. The salesmen will say no, but they always seem to chase after me to say yes, if I start leaving the store. There's a lot of competion for sales.

You should also pick up one of the Mexican woven blankets...they're between $5-$8 and super warm. I've had mine for over 10 years. I keep it in my trunk and use it for tailgating, picnics, long drives, covering fragile items during transport (like a TV).

I bought vanilla a few years ago in Cozumel, there was a warning somewhere on buying it in Mexico, something about a chemical causing kidney damage???? I can't remember all the details, I threw mine away and am sticking to the extract from Sams. You may want to google it to see if there are still warnings. But....I'm also a nervous Nellie.

While you get tired shopping for those goodies, attached to Los Cinco Soles is Pancho's Backyard, a cantina with the BEST margaritas, delish food and marimba players. Rest, enjoy... and resume shopping!

While you get tired shopping for those goodies, attached to Los Cinco Soles is Pancho's Backyard, a cantina with the BEST margaritas, delish food and marimba players. Rest, enjoy... and resume shopping!

Oh yes Los Cinco Soles is a wonderful place to shop and Panchos Backyard makes a deeelighful margarita!

• 2 weeks later...
I am hoping that someone will have hints for shopping in Cozumel. What/where are the best buys? Any tips on "haggling"?

Last time we were there (Jan 2006) the best deals were on t-shirts.

Maybe not top quality but for my growing kids $5 for a Tommy t-shirt is amazing!

Payd:)

We liked Viva Mexico for onyx, finding them to have the best prices. We also bought vanilla, yum! Also, Los Cinco Soles has this wonderful green hot sauce (in red too) that we absolutely love and have gotten many compliments when we use it. If you like hot sauces, definitely get some! I can't remember the name right off, but I can post it tonight when I go home.

Jana

When we visited Cozumel we found that the prices on leather were outstanding. The merchants were more then willing to bargain,my wife bought a pair of cowboy boots for $150.. that would esily have been $350.00 in the states. They started out by asking $350, when we said we weren't interested they asked what we wanted to pay.My wife offered the $150 which they accepted right away. You may want to bring some extra cash, although they accept cr edit cards they give further discounts for cash.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping.

Tim

Archived