Need Help with Shore Excursions - Labadee

CatServants

I was hoping you guys could give me some info/advice.

My in-laws, DH and I are booked on the Millie for a Carib cruise on 6 APR 08. Having never cruised HAL or X, my in-laws were leaning toward HAL, but my DH and I, having cruised both HAL (nice) and X (nicer ioho), convinced them to go X. Much to our happy surprise, my DHs sis and niece also climbed aboard. YAY! BUT...the pressure to make sure everything is all that we said it would be...HELP!!! Did I mention that the pressure is coming by way of my DH, NOT my wonderful in-laws? MEN!!!:cool:

OK, enough boring back story!

I need help with the shore excursions. Especially Labadee! I've tempted the family with the private beach excursion "Castaway at Malfini Beach". However, a few weeks ago I read something on the Boards about X providing a BBQ/security/shopping on a different beach for the passengers. PLEASE, can anyone/everyone provide the 411 (yup, I'm THAT old. Oh well, at least I'm too young for "Groovy";)) on Labadee for me? I would also appreciate some suggestions about San Juan. I think the men have decided that the only shore excursion for Casa De Campo, "Skeet Shooting", sounds like a great day to hang around the pool...any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Denise

Denise, there was recently a post on things to do on Labadee...several people noted that since it's RCCL's private island, there's security, food, chair rentals and the like. DH and I are on Mill in Jan.08, same itinerary. We plan to just relax on the island, likely we won't book an actual shorex.

I'm sure others that are more knowledgeable will help you w/ ideas. Hope it's a great cruise for you! You will like =X=, I'm sure.

Thanks Cruisenouvelle! I figured out how to locate an old thread - FINALLY!!! Seemed obvious once I worked up the courage to try.:p Someday I may actually figure out all this computer stuff.:o I found the Labadee threads and will discuss the choices with the family.

I'm still hoping for some advice about regarding San Juan.

Denise

Cruisenouvelle - I'm jealous! You cruise first! Enjoy!:D

Denise

I don't think you need ANY shore excursion at Labadee. It is a private RCL beach, and it is fantastic.

Food and chairs are all included. You do need to pay for Soda, bottled water, and Alhoholic Beverages, and water toys (rafts or serious toys like wave runner) - and for all these you use your ship card just like on board. The food and beverages are cooked and served by the same staff as on the ship. In fact I think they tender all such supplies over from the ship. There are a few shops manned my locals that I think you need cash for, as opposed to ship card - but I'm not sure of that.

Do bring $2 to $5PP for tips for the guys that will lug your chairs around and find you a nice spot, etc. Also some local muscians you might want to tip - but they don't bug you about it.

There are several different beach areas on both the bay side (smooth calm water) and ocean side (rougher water with waves), some snorkeling (we didn't try) and such - so walk around and find a nice spot.

Once again - this is a great beach. I didn't take many pics but I have a couple at my photo site from October 2006 --> CLICK HERE.

We have been to Labadee several times and like other posters said: the beach is great and makes a great beach day. For $10 we had floating rubber rafts for the day--it was like floating in bath water. :)

Beware of the shopping areas, though. The merchants hound you and you can hardly walk away from them.

Thanks everyone! I've told my DH everything you've told me about Labadee. He's going to talk to his parents and sister about it. I think a few fun/relaxing rentals and we'll be happy as clams! I'm really looking forward to the wonderful beach day you've all described:D:D:D.

I'm sorry to read that San Juan wasn't a thrill. My sister-in-law's been there before so I think we're just going to wing it; BUT... I have EVERY INTENTION of tasting rum on the cruise/islands. I will not shirk my duty to make sure rum is kept at a high standard. I sacrifice myself for all of you and your cruise pleasure. No need to thank me.;)

Denise

Thanks everyone! I've told my DH everything you've told me about Labadee. He's going to talk to his parents and sister about it. I think a few fun/relaxing rentals and we'll be happy as clams! I'm really looking forward to the wonderful beach day you've all described:D:D:D.

I'm sorry to read that San Juan wasn't a thrill. My sister-in-law's been there before so I think we're just going to wing it; BUT... I have EVERY INTENTION of tasting rum on the cruise/islands. I will not shirk my duty to make sure rum is kept at a high standard. I sacrifice myself for all of you and your cruise pleasure. No need to thank me.;)

Denise

Old San Juan is a nice place to just walk around. The area is very old and has some great architecture if you walk around a bit. There is lots within walking distance of the ship, a nice walk along the city wall, if you go to your left on the street you exit the ship onto - then continue to the big fountain a ways away and you'll see a walk along the wall - continue to the "city gate" or all the way toward the fort. A tour of the fort is interesting once. There is shopping, although nothing too special that we've seen.

San Juan is a great place for rum drinks, Pina Coladas and Mojitos are big drinks there! Barrachina, a few blocks from the port, claims they invented the Pina Colada. Their web site had a coupon for a free one.

I have a few photos from our pre-cruise stay - click here.

Oh - and at Labadee, you can rent rafts easily once on shore with your sea pass - no need to book ahead if you aren't sure you'll want them or how many you'll want.

I would like to add that Labadee now has a zip line. They added that this past Spring. I've see some pictures, and it seem interesting. I think it was around 75 dollars though, kind of steep for a zip line. But I may try it in Febuary on our Millennium cruise.

Rollie

Denise -- You will love Labadee. I was not expecting Haiti to be so beautiful. It's really a great spot. If you like waverunners, the waverunner excursion we did there was the best I've been on. They take you on a really nice tour. If you like haggling, you'll do fine in their "straw market." The vendors are a bit aggressive, but if you're strong willed, it's fun...and the woodwork is quite nice.

Old San Juan is a wonderful place. Like LSimon recommended, I would walk along the city wall to the left, all the way to El Morro, the fortress/lookout. It's a National Park, so it's very well kept. Pictures that you see in tour books and travel ads for Puerto Rico almost always have pictures from El Morro.

For your walk back, walk back through town, maybe stop by El Convento hotel and the cathedral across from it. Maybe research ahead and find a great restaurant. I can't remember the name of the little restaurant where we stopped, but the Puerto Rican food was amazing.

LSimon -- the bar at the Caribe Hilton also claims to have invented the Pina Colada. :) Of course you are required to try one since they were invented there. ;)

We were just in Labadee about a month ago while on Liberty of the Seas...it was our second visit there...

Agree, no reason to do any excursion (unless you really want to Jet Ski or Zip Line...

The Zip Line is brand new...It's just a single line...but...It's pretty impressive...It's on the opposite side of the peninsula from where the tenders drop you off...but, actually, they take you by shuttle to the top of the hill on the "inland" side (where the peninsula attaches to the "mainland" and then it's one very long and downhill ride over to the end of the peninsula with most of it being over the water...

Of course, we just did a little shopping (the locals have a new line: "No pressure, mon"...of course, they continue to pressure as always...You just learn to keep moving and say no...If you really are interested in buying something, go ahead...my wife bought one of those wooden carved bowls with a lid...

Then we just got a couple of chaisses (tipped the guy a couple of bucks...We were actually a little embarrassed by some of our fellow passengers who had these guys carrying the chairs all over the beach then didn't tip...), left our towels and stuff and went in for a swim, then layed out on the beach and enjoyed a couple of "Labadoozie" cocktails...

There is a barbecue available, bars and lots of activities (last time we were there, we took a ride on the "Banana Boats"--sort of a big float pulled by a speed boat)...

But, basically, it is a "beach day"...

This Board NEVER disappoints! Thanks everyone for all the help and info. My DH spoke with his family yesterday and all have agreed to trust me and my "friends and advisers" (that's you guys!) and enjoy a simple beach day on Labadee without arranging an excursion. Then they wanted to know about San Juan!:rolleyes:

Thanks to all of you (LSIMON, what happens if I need info regarding a Port you've never been to?!? Is that even possible?), my husband feels pretty confident about "his" San Juan plans.:)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! The Message Boarders are always HELPFUL and pretty darn fun too! I suggested to my DH that we send another e-mail to my very wonderful in-laws (I'm very lucky!) suggesting, a little more aggressively than we have previously, that they access the Board so that they can benefit from all the Board has to offer...all of you.:D

Thanks again, everyone.

Denise

Archived