Private Guides for Nagasaki, Okinawa, Singapore and Hong Kong

lovetocruise815

Are you on the Sapphire Princess. Sounds like their ports. I am also searching for private tours. What have you come up with. Very difficult to figure it all out. Lots of options . Still awaiting answers from some guides. Would love to compare notes when I get more info.

We sailed the Sapphire last year and hired a taxi and driver for Nagasaki and Okinawa... quite do-able and not expensive.

Below is my trip report. If you scroll down, I've also posted info re: our private tours. It was one of our best cruises and we're nearing #50!

Sandy

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=442276

Alternative suggestion for Hong Kong and Singapore. Rather than use a tour company, we have very successfully used taxi / private car service in both of these places and got a very personally created visit to the city.

In Hong Kong, it is Carely (sp?) which is the private car service of the Peninsula Hotel and it can be contacted through that Hotel. About US$50 per hour as of two years ago.

In Singapore, go through the concierge desk at the Raffles Hotel and get a private taxi. About US$25 per hour as of two years ago.

In both cases, stress that you want a very knowledgeable driver/guide (not just a driver) who can take you to the places of greatest interest to you. Be prepared to discuss with them the kinds of places you are interested in.

In both cities, using this method has provided an exceptional visit, including the standard tourist attractions and places well off the beaten tourist track. For example, in Singapore, our wonderful driver/guide suggested an Indian restaurant where the food was outstanding and we were the only non-Indian faces. In Hong Kong, we were taken to a couple of exquisite temples that do not show up in any of the tour books.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi...I did this trip last year.your in for a treat...wonderful trip

In Nagasaki the ship docks right by the glover gardens and church plus lots of shops etc near by. since this was the one port we could walk off the ship and see the sights this is what we did. buy some of the Nagasaki cake (can't remmember the name it was really good however and loved by all who had it at home) also not up the hill but in the many story shopping center...past the park on the opposite side of the street. there is a place called "pappa Bear" they make to order fresh cream puffs...still dreaming about thoes. we bought lunch in the market (just guessed alot about what we were buying) and ate in the park. we did meet up with a few teenagers in the pastry shop who told us the best to buy!

In Singapore we did the hop on hop off bus and saw the sights that way...it poured the whole day so we cut the trip short.

• 4 weeks later...

We did an itenary similar to what you are talking. For Hong Kong, we did it on our own, since we had been there once before already and knew the area.

Singapore was also very easy to get around on your own since it's the most westernized of the group. But again, that is your choice.

I did want to say though that for Japan, Nagasaki in particular, we used a Good Will guide. They are FREE and are usually students from their universities that are learning to speak english. Ours spoke perfectly. They love showing you around a place they love so much and is home to them. The only thing is that you are required to pay for their admission, transportation and meals while with you on the tour. You do not tip in Japan, so we brought a small gift from home to give them as an appreciation. Just keep in mind that they are volunteers from all walks of life.

We wrote to the main headquarters for Goodwill Guides in Japan and they set us up with one in Nagasaki that we corresponded with a few times before getting there. He was there waiting for us, gave a fantastic tour and we learned so much from him.

Cathy

I just returned from the Orient and used Tai from Bigstepnagasaki tours as well. He was amazing...and a wonderful person. Also, as he teaches English in an Elementary school, he took us to the school as well and that was delightful to see such happy and wonderful children. We used mostly public transport with him and that was great because we got to get a feel for the people.

I also used Tai in Nagasaki and would highly recommend him. His English is perfect. He lived some years in the US & I believe went to high school there. He does teach school, so he can only tour on weekends or when he's off.

We also used a Goodwill guide in Japan to tour Kyoto named. His name was Toshi and he was excellent. He was mid 60's and very knowledgeable. Because we had 1 who was claustrophobic & was nervous about taking the train to Kyoto from Osaka to meet him, he rented a car ($80) for us & drove us to Kyoto & all around. Since it was raining it was great, although there was a good portion of the tour on foot. We ate at a traditional Japanese restaurant. Without the car we would have taken all local transportation.

I believe he had 2 granddaughters which might help is selecting gifts. We gave him gifts, in addition to T-shirts for his gd's, which we happened to have. You can contact him directly at toshi-otsu@mve.biglobe.ne.jp. We were a little nervous who we might get. We also saw a Kimono show, which the ladies loved, not so much the gentlemen.

We used the same guide company in Beiging for an overnight tour (2 days) & Shanghai and while they sent us 2 very sweet young women with drivers & a van, they were difficult to understand. We had to concentrate. They took us to set restaurants, some were good & some were not, I don't think we had a choice. They are all gov't. run companies. I would recommend them and use them again. I believe it was Beijing Tour Co. Be careful if you don't want to go to do a lot of shopping, as we went to state pearl & silk cos. We bought pearls from Beiging & I don't think we got what we paid for. Just a note.

• 3 months later...

Archived