Cabin Neatniks/Cabin Slobs

Ships R Great

Part of the messy cabin problem ... and the messy hotel room problem for that matter ... are the teeny little trash cans. Although it's not my nature - sometimes I just give up! There is no where to throw things away.

On HAL, there is a barrel-shaped stool at the vanity that is a great place for shoes.

I bet the slobs with the clothes all over the floor leave the minimum tip or none at all and the neat people leave more than average!

I would certainly hope they are tipped VERY well but, if passengers are that sloppy, that is probably not the case.

Now why in the world would you LEAP to the conclusion that messy people are worse tippers? Is that based on any evidence whatsoever or is it simple snobbishness?

And I wonder if the people who feel so bad for cabin stewards who actually have to clean something also feel bad for waiters who have to jump through hoops having to attend to incredibly high-maintenance passengers who expect extra-special treatment. Funny how with the waiters, it's always "They love to please you"... Why isn't it the same with the cabin stewards?

My opinion is that the waiters are there to wait on you and the cabin stewards are there to clean up after you. They are incredibly hard-working and they have phenomenally good attitudes considering how demeaning their work can be. IMO, the recommended tip covers the most basic of service (if you are not high-maintenance AT ALL). If you expect them to give more than basic service, they certainly will, but you should show your appreciation accordingly (both with verbal thanks and with monetary gratuities).

......I later was talking to our room steward and he told me that the daughters literally try on everything they brought, before deciding what to wear. This happened two to three times a day. He would pick up the clothes, fold them and leave them on the bed, every morning, afternoon, and evening. The Mom told him it was OK the handle the cloths and why should their daughters have to pick up after themselves, after all, they were on vacation. This guy spent at least an hour per day, just servicing that cabin.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I would be very concerned about my steward talking to someone else about my habits or things that went on in my cabin.

If a steward even started to talk to me about someone else I would cut him off short and tell him I thought it in bad form to gossip, and my tip might reflect my concerns about his inappropriateness. I probably would report him to the main housekeeper also.

Desertbelle - Your point of view never occured to me.

I asked our steward what she did in a situation like that, and she told me. It actually became a running joke between us throughout the cruise. I told her if we ever needed anything, I knew where to find her, folding clothes down the hall. She never disrespected the other guest, she only answered a question I asked her. Again, it never occured to me to report her to the Hotel Management.

Reading of other people's experiences and how they cope with dilemas or how they problem solve is a good part of what I like best about Cruise Critic. I've always been interested in how the other person lives - not because I look to emulate people, and certainly not because I seek to judge anyone else, but just because I am interested in people.

I also find that it may give me a better understanding of who the people are and how they respond to others. Look how many folks on these boards already know each other and enjoy their shared experiences. At the risk of sounding sophmoric, perhaps one day my husband and I will meet some of these nice posters. I look forward to that and to hopefully making some wonderful memories.

Mary

In general I try really hard to keep things organized in our room and try not to leave things around. This is even more important when there are two adults and two children in the room and even more difficult because there are two adults and two children in the room.

My SOP is that I have a suitcase in the corner that serves as the dirty clothes basket. I am sort of in charge of making sure all the dirty stuff makes it in there.

So to answer the OP's original question... Occasionally when we are all trying to get ready for dinner to make early seating, there might be a few things.. a jacket, a towel or pair of shorts that gets left out when we are in a rush. At home or in a hotel of course if we were in this kind of rush, then I would just clean up when we got back, but on a cruise ship the steward comes in to turn down the beds while we are at dinner. The "left out" items are usually folded neatly and placed in the chair, or the towel either hung up or replaced.

We tip the recommended amount, but for 4 people, not two.

I suppose you think the OP didn't want any ideas, when they asked, "Any ideas?" Just an observation.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

This one has me LOL. On vacation and people talking about undies on the floor. My idea is to get over it. Tipping and tidiness don't necessarily match. Lots of other ways to trash a cabin (like have 20 cruise critic folks over for the sailaway ;)).

I also wonder where being a messy person means one is

is a cheap tipper too:eek:

In my opinion, that is certainly jumping to conclusions.

As I stated earlier I don't make my bed on the cruise but I also

pick up after myself clothing wise.....does a messy bed mean

I don't tip???:rolleyes:

Quote by Raudcruise:

"Tipping and tidiness don't necessarily match"

I agree with that statement but I guess there are many folks

who don't.

"Now why in the world would you LEAP to the conclusion that messy people are worse tippers? Is that based on any evidence whatsoever or is it simple snobbishness?"

Drew, Uh-oh. I have never been accused of being snobbish before. I hope I am not. My comment was based on the thought that people who are inconsiderate, i.e. leaving really big messes for the Stewards to clean-up, may, and I should have said "may", not tip well due to inconsiderateness. (Hey! I made a new word!)

Lois, I don't consider a person who does not make up his/her bed on a cruise to be messy.

My apologies to those I may have offended. That was not what my original post intended.

Hi Patti:) the tipping thing is sort of personal, I think that is why

some folks took offense. Yes, maybe some folks who are really neat don't tip well

while sloppier folks do..who knows???

We are all different people. I always try to be courteous, please

and thank you are a given. But keeping my cabin spotless?

Nope, I don't do it. You asked about neatniks and slobs....I

am in the middle.

And Patti, I know you are not a snob;)

Hi Patti:) the tipping thing is sort of personal, I think that is why

some folks took offense. Yes, maybe some folks who are really neat don't tip well

while sloppier folks do..who knows???

We are all different people. I always try to be courteous, please

and thank you are a given. But keeping my cabin spotless?

Nope, I don't do it. You asked about neatniks and slobs....I

am in the middle.

And Patti, I know you are not a snob;)

Thanks, Lois. You are right, tipping is personal. I certainly did not mean to imply we are perfect, either. We are not at eiither end of that spectrum. Glad to hear from you. Do you have other cruises planned? We are on a B2B on Century in January.

Drew, Uh-oh. I have never been accused of being snobbish before. I hope I am not. My comment was based on the thought that people who are inconsiderate, i.e. leaving really big messes for the Stewards to clean-up, may, and I should have said "may", not tip well due to inconsiderateness. (Hey! I made a new word!)

It may be a whole new kind of snob. A tidy-snob!!!:D

I definitely don't think you are a snob. I just think we all have different ideas of what is and isn't inconsiderate. Some people think it's so lovely to have servers in the buffet to carry trays for people: I find it HIGHLY inconsiderate, as it causes huge traffic snarls that affect dozens of other people. Some people considerate it inconsiderate if you leave your room messy: I consider it inconsiderate when you order multiple items per course (especially if you don't finish every bite) or if you order things that are not on the daily or any time menu. You may say "why should the steward have to clean up your mess." I say "why should the waiter and kitchen staff have to scramble to come up with other food for you when there are plenty of perfectly acceptable choices on the menu."

It's all a matter of perspective. Nobody is "right" or "wrong" here. Just recognize that if you accuse somebody of inconsiderateness, they may be thinking the same of you... ["you" generically, not specifically you...]

This one has me LOL. On vacation and people talking about undies on the floor. My idea is to get over it. Tipping and tidiness don't necessarily match. Lots of other ways to trash a cabin (like have 20 cruise critic folks over for the sailaway ;)).

Dear George:

I certainly hope we didn't trash your cabin during sailaway. Of course, sailaway was delayed in Fort Lauderdale until dinner time, and I was mostly unhappy about not getting to watch the Ducks play Florida. Such memories. Thank you for sparking the good memories, along with the tiny amount of sad ones. Poor Ducks!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

WOULD ANYONE BE SO INTERESTED IN WHAT GOES ON IN ANOTHER SUITE, CABIN OR WHATEVER? :confused:

THIS IS SCARY! :eek: BACK TO THE "WHAT I LOVE ABOUT CRUISING ON CELEBRITY"...WE'RE OUTTA HERE!

SHOULD NOT HAVE OPENED THIS THREAD. YUK.

LOL..yuk:D :eek: ....lots of yukky threads on a public message

board....I guess you have to pick and choose which ones

to read;)

Thanks, Lois. You are right, tipping is personal. I certainly did not mean to imply we are perfect, either. We are not at eiither end of that spectrum. Glad to hear from you. Do you have other cruises planned? We are on a B2B on Century in January.

Hi Patti:) I am going on Mercury in October. B2B too:D though

they are short ones....a 3 nighter and 4 nighter.

Then in December I am FINALLY sailing Century again. I have not

seen the "New Century" yet.

And I thought you said Ed is a neatnik;)

I do think this whole thread is interesting. It seems (although I could be wrong) that the people spending their time peeping into others rooms are the ones cleaning their own. The fear that the staff might talk about me has never occurred to me and seems a little insecure. I guess if these same people are chatting with the maids all the time and asking what they do about messy neighbors, it shows that the staff does talk (and who they're talking to) and makes these people feel good about themselves. I wonder if they try to ease the waiter's jobs by bringing wipes or something to the dining room so they can rinse the plates before they are collected? That would surely make the waiters like them better, too.

For the record (and so nobody will think we're "bad" people), we don't leave clothes about the room but we do leave lots for the maid to do. Shockingly, we generally tip well too. I'm happy to help break that apparent stereotype. Funnily, I always thought these people who boast about pre-cleaning were doing it so they could feel good about shorting the maid's tip ("well, I did half the work..."). I guess that goes to show what folks presumptions about other people's motives are worth.

We've found the key to existing in a small space is to keep it neat. It just seems larger that way. But seriously, if I died on a shore excursion and the stewards found my stateroom a mess when they came to clean it out, my dear mother (God rest her soul) would KILL me!!

PS: I tip well because I've done service jobs and those folks earn every dime and more.

OK, peeping, snooping, catching a wayward glance, whatever you want to call it may be something that's unavoidable in the confined space of a cruise ship corrider, but I also stand by my original contention which basically is, what someone else does is NOMB (to spell out the acronym for those who don't know: "None Of My Business"). To then speculate on whether the neatnick or slob is cheap or generous, or vice versa takes it to an even 'worse' level. Geezus! ... AND the 'public message board thing' is so true, which is why any comments (responses, thoughts etc, in response to 'Any ideas?', which was pretty wide open) are just as valid as anyone else's.

Sign me ---

"also outta here".

Archived