I keep asking these stupid questions...

clerky96

Our ship is tendering and we depart at 6pm, what is usually the departure time of the last tender from shore? This will be in Samana, Dominican Republic in February. Want to do an independent Whale Watching tour. Tour leaves Samana at 1:30pm and is approximately a 3 hour tour. Just don't want to cut things too close. There doesn't seem to be much activity on the Dominican Republic boards, so can't get the answer there. Thanks.

Our ship is tendering and we depart at 6pm, what is usually the departure time of the last tender from shore? This will be in Samana, Dominican Republic in February. Want to do an independent Whale Watching tour. Tour leaves Samana at 1:30pm and is approximately a 3 hour tour. Just don't want to cut things too close. There doesn't seem to be much activity on the Dominican Republic boards, so can't get the answer there. Thanks.

Lst tender will be either at 5 or 5:30 PM... but they will post notices for you before you leave the ship so you will know for sure...

In my own opinion, you might be cutting it close.....

For a docked ship, you are usually required to be back on board 30 minutes prior to departure. For a tender that may take 15 minutes to travel from the dock, last tender is usually 45 minutes prior to departure.

In reality, I have seen people get onboard right up to departure (or even after if they can get a boat to take them to the ship.)

The last passenger tender will leave, and the ship's security will sweep the dock area for laggard passengers and crew, and then the crew will be the last tender in. If you get there before the crew leaves and they see you, they will probably take you with them.

Email your tour operator and express your concerns. See how they respond. Most tour operators that work with ship passengers are very good about ship schedules, or they would not still be in business. I think you will be fine IF the tour ends on time. 1-1/2 hours is plenty of time to tender back, even for Belize which is a LONG tender ride back to the ship.

It has become a fun sport (for us and many cruisers) to hang out on the balcony and watch all the late comers board in the ports. Let's hope you are on the watching end and not the being watched end of that game.;)

Not a stupid question at all, but the manner you asked does leave some room for....

Try to be more specific in the SUBJECT line. You will get better responses, and you might help someone else out that has the same question.

I think you will be fine IF the tour ends on time. 1-1/2 hours is plenty of time to tender back, even for Belize which is a LONG tender ride back to the ship.

OMG that's not tendering that's a high speed boat...sort of a mini excursion in itself! yeah...i agree with you karen2cruz...1.5hrs is plenty to get back.

cutting it close when the ship is docked is one thing. but add in the tendering, then that throws a wrench in it. i'm all for private booking an excursion, but if it's going to get in the way of you totally enjoying your excursion...book with the ship.

last week's Spirit cruise, we did just that. my wife's first cruise. and i think i broke into the Silver Latitudes category...yay me! but for her first cruise, though i could have booked privately at each port...i just wanted to have peace of mind.

...now my wife is hooked on cruising! yay me again!

Archived