Sapphire Beach Review

Sandytoes

Thanks for the great info and pics. My sister and I will be cruising with our elderly mother, and a peaceful, beautiful beach, free of power boats and other motorized toys, sounds divine.

I have to say that this beach would be a perfect one for your mom.

As you walk in go to your right. That's where the sea-grape trees are. She can sit under the trees without worrying about the sun.

If you walk towards the left. It mostly beach area without shade.

She'll really enjoy looking out into the water, the view is magnificent.

Enjoy!

Thanks for a great review. :D Last year when I booked my cruise I found a picture of this beach and knew right away this is the beach for me. Your underwater pictures are real pretty. How deep were you? I never snorkled before. I need to be able to touch bottom. Also did the store take credit cards?

I am glad you had such a nice time. I look forward to doing the same.:)

Sandytoes, thanks for the review, you have convinced us that when we travel with Godfrey in a few weeks time we will go to Sapphire beach. We are novice snorkellers, and would like to know if the water pretty smooth or might we have a problem (are are planning to get life vests), and is there anywhere to store our camera etc whilst we are in the water.

Sandytoes, thanks for the review, you have convinced us that when we travel with Godfrey in a few weeks time we will go to Sapphire beach. We are novice snorkelers, and would like to know if the water pretty smooth or might we have a problem (are are planning to get life vests), and is there anywhere to store our camera etc whilst we are in the water.

You will not need vests at all. The current does move you to shore, if you swim way out. So be careful near the coral...My DH was so invalued snorkeling he drifted into the coral, scrapping his knee and then ended up with sea urchin needles in his hand....Ouch! It was his own fault...I on the other end, snorkeled on the other side and the water was smooth and crystal clear.

As for leaving your things on the beach, we didn't have any problems. I felt they were safe, being other people from different cruise ships, vacationers, hotel guests were there. You can ask them to watch over your stuff if this eases your mind.

You will have a wonderful time on Sapphire Beach.

No para-sailing or any power boats. Which made the beach even more of a tranquil, quiet beach.

Also, I forgot to mention. There were no locals asking to braid your hair or selling beads.

There was a "No Soliciting" sign.

Just a comfortable and serene to beach enjoy.

Sandytoes: I emailed Godfrey and he confirmed to me parasailing, etc.

Is Sapphire big enough that maybe it is at a different spot than you were

located. I looked at his website and did see pics of parasailing.

Hope he is right or I will have a few rollcallers a little upset with me:eek:

Thank you so much for the great review. I was debating if this beach was worth it since my main goal is for snorkeling.

You have convinced me.

Thanks,

Snorkeling is usually out main goal as well.

Bring some rolls\bread to feed the fish.

You won't be disappointed.

Hi Guys,

Just a note to everyone who is new to snorkeling is that the corals are not to be touched or stepped on. It is my favorite beach on St Thomas.

PS You can rent Jet skis in the Marina.

If you look at my pictures you will see that there are no jet skis nor a Marina.

The day we were there, we did see a paddle boat and several floats, but not one motorized boat, yacht, cabin cruiser, or fishing vessel.

Which I was very happy not to see or hear. Being the gas fumes and propellers can easierly damage the sea life at this beautiful beach.

The Marina is located on the western rim of lovely Pillsbury Sound.

If you look at my pictures you will see that there are no jet skis nor a Marina.

The day we were there, we did see a paddle boat and several floats, but not one motorized boat, yacht, cabin cruiser, or fishing vessel.

Which I was very happy not to see or hear. Being the gas fumes and propellers can easierly damage the sea life at this beautiful beach.

The Marina is located on the western rim of lovely Pillsbury Sound.

Actually there are jet skis and a marina at Sapphire, we spent a night at Sapphire Village last year which overlooked the marina and that's where the jet ski rentals are. If you only went to the beach you may not notice the marina since it's to the right and around the corner a bit from the beach.

You can't see the jet ski rentals in this picture but they're in the far left corner of the marina.

USVI_JUN06080.jpg

Actually there are jet skis and a marina at Sapphire, we spent a night at Sapphire Village last year which overlooked the marina and that's where the jet ski rentals are. If you only went to the beach you may not notice the marina since it's to the right and around the corner a bit from the beach.

You can't see the jet ski rentals in this picture but they're in the far left corner of the marina.

USVI_JUN06080.jpg

If you look at the Palm trees in the upper right hand corner of your picture, on the opposite side is Sapphire Beach.

DSCN0898.jpg

Notice the same Palm trees.

This was taken on Sapphire Beach.

No boats, no jet skis.

DSCN0933b.jpg

DSCN0904a.jpg

USVI_JUN06080.jpg

If you look at the Palm trees in the upper right hand corner of your picture, on the opposite side is Sapphire Beach.

DSCN0898.jpg

Notice the same Palm trees.

This was taken on Sapphire Beach.

No boats, no jet skis.

DSCN0933b.jpg

DSCN0904a.jpg

I assumed someone was asking about jet ski rentals so I was only pointing out that jet skis could be rented at Sapphire Beach marina. There were people using them the day we were there but they weren't riding them close enough to the beach that much noise could be heard from them.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the info and reviews on Sapphire Beach!! We have booked a tour with Godfrey and will choose this beach as our beach stop.

We just recently did the same thing with Godfrey to Sapphire Beach. The beach is very nice & the snorkeling was OK. It is a little rocky but I never had a problem without water shoes (forgot to pack them). Some people wanted to go to Coki Beach, but when we got to the beach, they all changed their minds after arriving there. The whole truck load of us went to Sapphire Beach, which was my first choice.

ChrisMW -

Your quit welcome....

Enjoy!

Chris

PS - We went to Coki Beach last yr. That's also another nice beach...But gets quit crowded....We found a shady spot under a tree and several or should I say 'dozens' of people wanted to share our space....:rolleyes:

We were very lucky the day we went to Sapphire. Only a handful of people were there. It seemed like we had the beach to ourselves....Peaceful - relaxing.

No para-sailing or any power boats. Which made the beach even more of a tranquil, quiet beach.

Also, I forgot to mention. There were no locals asking to braid your hair or selling beads.

EXCELLENT REPLY! I usually tell hotel guests the same thing. I hate when tourists get hassled by the locals trying to make a buck. They go way overboard and there are more and more of them.

• 11 months later...

Sounds wonderful. We already booked a trip off the cruise to Megans Bay. I wonder if we can cancel. Sapphire Beach looks and sounds much quieter and we can snorkel. How far is it from the cruise ships?

• 1 month later...

Ouch, another person told me there was parasailing on Sapphire Beach. That isn't correct?

Ouch, another person told me there was parasailing on Sapphire Beach. That isn't correct?

Sorry, no parasailing or motorized boats.

On our last visit, 8\5 cruise they did have windsurfing\ with lessons.

Around the inlet, in the marina is where you can rent boats, jet-skis,

water skiing, that's where parasailing rentals can be found.

Yes you can parasail, rent jet skis, and do other watersports at Sapphire. The parasailing and jet skis are not on the beach itself that is why some folks say they aren't available. They are at the marina which is a very short walk around the corner from the beach. You can inquire about parasailing and jet skis at the watersports booth which is right on the beach; they have the non-motorized stuff there.

--Islander

Islander, thank you soo much. So if we are taking a cab should we asked to be dropped off at the Marina for Sapphire beach?

thanks again.

If you are going to do water sports, you can ask the taxi driver to drop you off directly at the marina.

Which takes about 15 minutes.

You can also arrange for the driver to pick you up, just tell him\her the time.

Archived