What do you do at Airports

emmylou

Sometimes if your flight gets in late and you have a treck to your connecting gate, those 4 hours can go by REALLY quickly.

But if I get there early, I'd use an airline club. LHR has clubs that are open to the public for a daily fee. Also maybe grab a meal.

We have a four hour layover at LHR. What do you do at an airport with all that time while waiting for a connecting flight that long.
I'm lucky to have use of airline lounges with most of the airlines that I fly. So I agree that if you can get into one for a decent length of time, then that might well be worth it - depending on how much it costs, of course. It won't be four hours, because you will inevitably spend at least 30 minutes, and possibly rather longer, simply going through the transfer process.

If you post your itinerary, we can offer some more specific advice about your particular journey.

You have a a SCHEDULED layover of 4 hours. Considering this is Heathrow, I'd be much more concerned that i and my luggage made the connection than what to do with the extra time. Everything is really backed-up there. Customs, immigration, security, baggage claim (I assume, though, you don't need to worry about that at, least).

Once you have completed all the line-standing, you will get to do what Heathrow is probably the best airport in the world for: people watching. It can be great fun there.

Paul

If you do end up with 4 hours(or so) at LHR,and you don't want to sit or you have and want to move around...when I am there I love to shop there even with bad dollar as there are things to find there you just can't get here especially in Boots ( their drugstore chain),but hey that's me.Just a different take on 4 hours at LHR:) I also second the people watching there.

Globaliser

Our flight is from PHL 10:00pm arrive LHR 10:05 am then LHR 2:05 pm to BSL arrive 4:45 pm

coming back

AMS 7:25am to LHR arrive7:45am then LHR 11:45 am arrive PHL 2:20pm.

We are booked on British Air.

are the lounges expensive and what is available in a lounge for the price

you pay.

JJNYC

Our luggage is one of our primary concern but once we turn it over to the airlines there is nothing we can do but pray it gets where we are going.Trying to find something to do to keep our mind off of what might happen and on something more positive.Wouldn't it be nice if they had a theater to go to at the airport if you have a long layover:D

PittsburghGirlee,

Cocktails are good.:)

We usually talk, read, eat, and/or drink.

Four hours at Heathrow can go quickly. You start getting off the plane and going thru immigration and customs. Then if you need to switch terminals, they recommend 1 hour & 15 minutes to get between 1 & 4.

I will be bringing my laptop with me to past the time. Is there internet At Ohare or Atlanta? If so, how much does it cost. I may have to just be content to find an electrical outlet, plug into it and watch a movie or two. I do have my IPOD for when aboard the plane my battery runs out.:p

But once we are aboard the ship, the laptop is put away except for photo downloading....no time for it on a cruise.

We have a four hour layover at LHR. What do you do at an airport with all that time while waiting for a connecting flight that long.:eek:

emmy

We grab a bite to eat then walk around the airport. I love to people watch and to experience the different airports. I much prefer a longer layover since it allows more time in case the first flight is delayed etc.

I will be bringing my laptop with me to past the time. Is there internet At Ohare or Atlanta? If so, how much does it cost. I may have to just be content to find an electrical outlet, plug into it and watch a movie or two. I do have my IPOD for when aboard the plane my battery runs out.:p

But once we are aboard the ship, the laptop is put away except for photo downloading....no time for it on a cruise.

ATL and ORD both use Boingo for internet which is $7.95 per day. Just open a web browser and it will give you instructions how to sign up for it. I bring my laptop with me but just play games on it while waiting for the next plane.

ATL and ORD both use Boingo for internet which is $7.95 per day. Just open a web browser and it will give you instructions how to sign up for it. I bring my laptop with me but just play games on it while waiting for the next plane.

So if I pay for it in Chicago, when i get to Atlanta my account is still active?

I don't know how much you travel but you might want to look at one of the broadband cards for internet for your laptop. The sales pitch for these devices is that they can also be used for international connections. At least that is what AT&T is saying. That way you are not dependent on the airport connections.

Hannah

I had been looking forward to at least window shopping at Heathrow,

but we had to transfer from one end of the airport to the other,

including a bus ride. By the time we got to our gate, they were

already boarding, so on we went for a 17+hour flight.

Wish I HAD had a little time to shop and stretch!

bassman19 - it depends on which "package" you buy from boingo. If you arrive in your second airport within the 24 hours yes, you can still log in using the log in you set up. You can also buy "longer" packages.

The aircards are a good deal if you have the need for them on a regular basis. The basic package can run you $50.00 per month.

Once I've checked in at my connecting flight (which can eat up more time than you'd suspect), I try to find a window where I can watch the runway. Planes taking off and landing have a never-ending fascination for me.

bassman19 - it depends on which "package" you buy from boingo. If you arrive in your second airport within the 24 hours yes, you can still log in using the log in you set up. You can also buy "longer" packages.

The aircards are a good deal if you have the need for them on a regular basis. The basic package can run you $50.00 per month.

On our cruise 2 weeks ago we spend alot of time with a couple we met on board. The husband had an aircard and mentioned taking it from his phone and putting it into his laptop when needed?? I don't know much about aircards but he was thrilled that he had internet access in many areas of the ship using his aircard. He had home work that he needed to work on during the cruise. He mentioned paying $50 per month and I thought it was through AT&T but could be wrong about that. Seems like a great deal for someone who travels alot for business.

Our flight is from PHL 10:00pm arrive LHR 10:05 am then LHR 2:05 pm to BSL arrive 4:45 pm

coming back

AMS 7:25am to LHR arrive7:45am then LHR 11:45 am arrive PHL 2:20pm.

We are booked on British Air.

are the lounges expensive and what is available in a lounge for the price

you pay.

In that case, the lounge suggestion is simple (assuming that I'm right in thinking that this is for November 2007). All your flights operate to and from Heathrow Terminal 4, so your connections are straightforward same-terminal transfers. The intervals between your flights are ideal for making use of a lounge, really.

Terminal 4 has one lounge which is open to the general public - the Holideck. It's actually operated by KLM, but they welcome anyone who wants to pay the on-the-door price of £20 (adults). It's reportedly not as good as the BA lounges (I've never used the Holideck myself) but still pretty acceptable. The website will give you an idea of what's available. Importantly, it looks like there are no showers, which is a pity - but you may want to contact them to check. I've also seen a note on the online booking service with which they're associated that "The Main Deck of the lounge is being refurbished from 7-16 November", but I don't know if that will affect you.

Archived