The Battle of the Ports: Who will have Genesis???

Which Port do you want to be Genesis' Homeport??  

541 members have voted

1. 1. Which Port do you want to be Genesis' Homeport??

• Miami
    • Ft. Lauderdale
    • Port Canaveral
    • No Preference

I have sailed from all three ports and Port Canaveral is the best by far. Fort Lauderdale is not well organized and a complete disaster. I'll never sail from there again even if Genesis is there. Miami is too big, but better than Fort Lauderdale. Port Canaveral is well organized and smaller. I think it also would attract Disney World customers as well. They'll need to do something like that to get 5,400 people per week on that ship. I think Cape Liberty is also an option, but lesser than the others as we don't know if the ship will fit under the Verrazano Bridge.

Well the Captain on board Voyager of the Seas in August confirmed that the port would be Miami and then last week on board Liberty Ken Rush confirmed that Genesis would be sailing out of Miami.

So I'm definately "guessing" Miami !!

While I would love to see the ship here in Port Canaveral (and there by pass it on my way into work when it's in port :) ) The port here is WAY too small for a ship that size. I think they would have to tender to the ship wigh would be more than a little bit of a hassle however they have been dredging away at the port here making it deeper and wider... maybe it's nothing but I'd like to think it's something :p

I seem to remember in the initial literature on Project Genesis that the length of the ship was dictated by the maximum limits of the turning bay in Miami. I think this might have been on my cruise-in-review DVD from when I was on Freedom. Seems like Miami would be a sure bet.

I've sailed out of Miami twice, and am not sure why everybody says it is so hard to get to and difficult. Seems the same as any other port: you get in a cab and they take you there. What specifically is the big deal?

I would also love to see it here at Port Canaveral. Especially since I only live 15 minutes from the port. I also think it would be good for the area although the Port does need to think about getting some shops and restaurants and sprucing things up a bit.

I am sure they would get alot of the Disney customers since Orlando is only 45 minutes to the Port and the Disney ships seem to do well. I am sad they are moving the Mariner though, I have heard it's a great ship. I guess I will need to book a cruise on it before it leaves.

I want Port Canaveral to get it...that's less than a 4 hour drive from my in-laws' house down there! :D

Well that should end the debate right there Erin.:D Your reason trumps any of the arguments I have seen for the other ports, although I did like the one that stated that Richard Fain would probably pick Miami so that he could see the ship docked outside his office.;)

I would also love to see it here at Port Canaveral. Especially since I only live 15 minutes from the port. I also think it would be good for the area although the Port does need to think about getting some shops and restaurants and sprucing things up a bit.

I am sure they would get alot of the Disney customers since Orlando is only 45 minutes to the Port and the Disney ships seem to do well. I am sad they are moving the Mariner though, I have heard it's a great ship. I guess I will need to book a cruise on it before it leaves.

Yes you should book the Mariner before she leaves! Mariner is a great ship! :D :D

It just has to be Southampton, England! Independence is almost sold out already for her inaugural season - so why not give the Brits a bigger ship next time!!!

Hey Albert I am with you on this one..:D ...homeport Genesis in the UK :D

I guess really we have no chance of that happening but at least we should have her here for Pre-Inaugurals before she heads over the pond eh ;)

I do not know if someone already posted this but on the bottom of the link below it says

"When, in autumn 2009, the first Genesis-vessel leaves Turku for Miami, Fl., it will be the biggest export product of Finland ever."

http://www.akeryards.com/businessareas/cruiseferries/thegenesisproject/

So, my guess is obviously towards Miami for where the Genesis Ship will sail from. But I would love for it to come to Cape Liberty!!

Archived