Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

Jetskier,

Can you post the link where you got this pic? Or PM it to me please?

I want to blow it up and check it out better.

Thanks so much,

Danielle

Danielle,

It was off the Yahoo News website. You will have to right click on it to get the full link as CC trunicates it.

Here is the link below.

Dave

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20070822/i/r2153826068.jpg?x=380&y=217&sig=Y1bIea9M0S7BvmrNkJEj3g--

[/color][/b]

I am a member of the hole in the fence gang. The link in my signature provided step by step info on how to get to Chac-Chi. I have edited it now to cover the damage they have sustained.

I am so happy that these people were able to get out OK. There tiny resort has brought much happiness to many people.

It looked like it was quite an adventure to get to Chac-Chi...could you just have taken a cab around to it?

For those of us who had not heard about Cliff & his dog Toro were, he's ok...... He's alive and made it through the Hurricane. He posted on his blog tonight and what a story he has to tell.... I can't even imagine.

Read the following, courtesy of Cliff's blog.

There was a house! Just the other side of the big pile of rubbish, it was all clear and clean! My home, at least the west side, stood tall and in tact! I hopped in ‘Ole Blue, fired up the engine and used Blue like a bulldozer to shove the trash aside, clearing the driveway. I am home. Toro was busy running around the house as fast as he could. I dug my keys out and forced the key in my door. The lock was full of sand. My refrigerator was just purring in its normal sound as it cooled its contents, a cold cerveza Superior waited for my grasp along with five more – ice cold! I am one happy man!

It appears that the storm surge rose a water level to about two or two and a half feet inside the house, but most likely only briefly. It looks like it escaped under the back doors on the west side judging from the leaves and turtle grass I had to shove out of the way to open it and maybe it came in the same way. I'll never be able to tell. My batteries were sucked down way low, but no breakers were blown so the water was probably fairly fresh or brack. I haven't tested the water in the cistern yet for salinity so I'm not certain. There are a few receptacles that most likely shorted in the water consuming all my stored power from the batteries. The solar panels I had laid flat on the roof behind the block high lip were still in place and charging even at this hour. After surveying the apparent and obvious damage, I'd say I got extremely lucky! That is, if you call getting hit by a category 5 hurricane Dean, lucky. No broken glass even though thousands of cannonball sized coconuts are strewn around the house.

I know my generator was submerged completely so I can't use it until I disassemble it, clean it and spray the parts with WD-40 before reassembly. I sure hope I have no left over parts when I‘m done. I gained about four to six inches of sand around the house, but lost maybe two meters of beach in the process. Most of all, I have a warm, dry bed I came home to.

In retrospect, I wonder, had I not been connected to the internet and not been aware of Dean's approach, living alone out here as the last gringo on the east coast of México, I would have gone to bed during a thunderstorm and heavy rain, slept soundly until about midnight wake up wondering, “ What the He** is that?” from all the ruckus, laid back down and endured it in my own bed and got up in the morning with not much more than a huge mess to clean up while trying to figure out what the Hell had happened as I scratched my butt. But, then, you wouldn't have been reading this story, would you?

Ordinarily, I would have called the above a great ending to my massive missive you just enjoyed – at least I hope you did. That's why I wrote it while my house dried today. Toro, Pinky, his meeses and I are all safe and probably actually better for the wear. For that I am thankful. ‘Ole Blue took a severe beating, but I can also fix that – at least until I can arrange a body transplant for him. I'm ok.

[/color][/b]

It looked like it was quite an adventure to get to Chac-Chi...could you just have taken a cab around to it?

The cruise port has most of the cab drivers afraid to go over there for fear of retaliation.

Dave

[/color][/b]

As stated above, cab drivers would not drive people there.

Honestly, the walk wasn't that bad. It really was an adventure. "Where will the hole in the fence be today?" My pics were meant to make people feel more comfortable with the excursion. Others have posted pics of where they found the hole that day, state of construction, hand drawn maps etc.

Chac-Chi was a lovely place to spend a day. No crowds, no pushy vendors, just a beautiful beach, gorgeous views and a family run restaurant with good prices and great eats.

I hope they can rebuild. I will definitely be back if they do.

I had read everything up to his departure before Dean hit, and could not wait to hear that he was OK! Grab a cup of coffee and read the entire thing....well worth the time. Really makes you appreciate what being in a Cat. 5 hurricane is like, as well as living in that area! I had to laugh when he talks about his dog too....what we pet lovers do for our beloved animals!

Does anyone know if the wall between Chac-Chi and the port survived the storm?

Not sure it matters. I'd bet a beer there'll be enough concrete from fixing the pier to put it back up again. Why would the hurricane change the port-owners' attitudes?

Oh the joy I felt when I saw an email from Cliff!! My heart filled with joy... This area desperately needs help... they aren't getting the attention the more popular resort areas have gotten in the past (have you heard anything in the news?? I've contacted some of the larger media outlets to ask why we are hearing nothing, about a wonderful area where so many travel to...) Even if you go the International Red Cross site, there is nothing :( Just ticks me off. So really, it is up to the people. If you do just a little bit of searching, you can find various relief efforts. Several of us are still working on finding something we can direct CC'ers that want to help...

Here is what I received from Cliff:

Thank you so very much Christine. We are safe. I just got the dish back up and rigged some temporary electricity so I could upload my story to http://www.portillas.com. I hope you enjoy it if you have interest.

I have been thinking along those same lines and have defined my intentions at the end of my Dean story on my site. I would very much appreciate any assistance you or your community could provide. I have every intention of doing everything I possibly can to help those truly in need who have so kind as to share their paradise with me for the past several years. There are folks who lost everything here. I’d surely like to try to dry their tears, put roofs over their heads and feed them while their means of support is rebuilt in the Costa Maya.

Sincerely,

Cliff

Has anyone heard anything from Barb about what she is planning to do now that her Cat's Meow is no longer operating? I am wondering what her plans are for her hotel that she was planning to have built. The only email address I have for her is catsmeowmahahual@yahoo.ca but didn't someone say that mail to her was being bounced back for some reason. I sure hope she and Brian are alright and that she managed to get So-So and a few of the other cats out of there before Dean hit. :(

This area desperately needs help... they aren't getting the attention the more popular resort areas have gotten in the past (have you heard anything in the news?? I've contacted some of the larger media outlets to ask why we are hearing nothing, about a wonderful area where so many travel to...) Even if you go the International Red Cross site, there is nothing :( Just ticks me off.

It is a sad-but-true criticism of the United States media...that if it doesn't affect Americans directly, it doesn't really make the news. Cancun got more coverage because of its well known status as a spring break haven and heavy U.S. tourist zone. But even then, after Wilma, coverage of Cancun was just a blip compared to other U.S. media stories. Costa Maya, Majahual, Limones and the rest of the impacted area are just not rife enough with big-name, US-corporate backed hotels to garner any attention in the media.

If you think that's bad - what about Peru a few weeks ago, that suffered an 8.0 earthquake in which more than 500 people died and hundreds of thousands were left homeless. The national media mentioned it the first day, and one follow-up blurb the next day, then back to 24-hour coverage of the Utah mine rescue operation. Not to take away from the tragedy those folks suffered - but it looks awfully callous to an outsider to see more coverage about 6 missing workers in Utah than hundreds of dead in a huge natural disaster.

Anyway...you're right - it comes down to people. Fortunately, many Americans show that they do still care about what happens in the rest of the world...and I'm sure the folks in the affected area of this hurricane will appreciate those willing to help out in the relief and rebuilding assistance. I fear that this area won't be able to stay so quaint and lovely forever - eventually the cruise outlets, condominiums, and hotels will spread into the area and take over, creating Cancun II. But for now, any assistance to the people of Majahual should help them restore their town to the way it was and those who enjoyed it can visit again a little piece of the old, laid-back Yucatan beachfront until it gets completely absorbed by the tourism expansion!

It is a sad-but-true criticism of the United States media...that if it doesn't affect Americans directly, it doesn't really make the news. Cancun got more coverage because of its well known status as a spring break haven and heavy U.S. tourist zone. But even then, after Wilma, coverage of Cancun was just a blip compared to other U.S. media stories. Costa Maya, Majahual, Limones and the rest of the impacted area are just not rife enough with big-name, US-corporate backed hotels to garner any attention in the media.

There's a bit a truth hidden amongst your post, but I think you are being overly cynical. One of the reasons that this has not been a huge news story is that it did not affect nearly as many people as it would have, had it hit a highly populated area. Even the leaders of Mexico and Quintana Roo have made statement to that effect, that they feel fortunate that it hit a sparsely populated area of the coast. That does not diminish the fact that it is a tragedy for those who do live there, but it is a true statement. Hurricane Rita in the US didn't get as much press as Katrina a couple years ago for similar reasons. Katrina affected a huge city with hundreds of thousands of people being displaced from their homes. Rita did similar damage, but to a much more sparsely populated area.

And, quite frankly, there is always something tragic happening somewhere in the world. I don't know if this will come out the way I mean it or not, but we just can't focus on every tragedy or we will all just be miserable thinking about all the poor people who were just affected by this or that. I think we need to feel compassion for people everywhere, but it is natural to focus more on those things that hit "close-to-home" for us. You have an attachment to Costa Maya, having visited and gotten to know people there. Most Americans have never been to and perhaps never even heard of Costa Maya. The fact that they may be a little detached from the tragedy should not imply that they only care about themselves, though.

There's a bit a truth hidden amongst your post, but I think you are being overly cynical. One of the reasons that this has not been a huge news story is that it did not affect nearly as many people as it would have, had it hit a highly populated area. Even the leaders of Mexico and Quintana Roo have made statement to that effect, that they feel fortunate that it hit a sparsely populated area of the coast. That does not diminish the fact that it is a tragedy for those who do live there, but it is a true statement. Hurricane Rita in the US didn't get as much press as Katrina a couple years ago for similar reasons. Katrina affected a huge city with hundreds of thousands of people being displaced from their homes. Rita did similar damage, but to a much more sparsely populated area.

And, quite frankly, there is always something tragic happening somewhere in the world. I don't know if this will come out the way I mean it or not, but we just can't focus on every tragedy or we will all just be miserable thinking about all the poor people who were just affected by this or that. I think we need to feel compassion for people everywhere, but it is natural to focus more on those things that hit "close-to-home" for us. You have an attachment to Costa Maya, having visited and gotten to know people there. Most Americans have never been to and perhaps never even heard of Costa Maya. The fact that they may be a little detached from the tragedy should not imply that they only care about themselves, though.

If nothing else, the number of visitors that go there each month should mean something. We are not talking about just a "scarcely populated" area, we are talking about one of the fastest growing cruise ship destinations... that should mean something. Lesser tragedies at least get some coverage. My point is, because there is no coverage, there will be very little assistance... I mean FTLOG the Intl Red Cross has NOTHING on their site about this... not to mention the number one source (and only source basically) of income has been wiped out for at least 6 months. Other resort areas that are hit generally have other income sources to keep them going... I'm not saying that people only care about themselves, it is true that it is a little known area... but that shouldn't mean they get no media coverage.

Excellent post, well said.

OK, you may not like this response, but why should this be a priority for the International Red Cross website? There are much bigger issues on a global scale than this. This was a small rural area, that in recent years has built up because of a cruise ship terminal that was built there. There was, from all reports, minimal loss of life in the hurricane, the cruise lines who created the port will likely be heavily involved in helping to rebuild it. Many agencies, including the Red Cross are helping as well. This is not, however, the kind of disaster that requires a huge, international aid effort. It is one that can likely be handled locally, with some level of assistance from neighboring countries and from the cruise companies that have an interest in the port.

There's a bit a truth hidden amongst your post, but I think you are being overly cynical. One of the reasons that this has not been a huge news story is that it did not affect nearly as many people as it would have, had it hit a highly populated area.

I agree that the Dean coverage might not have merited any form of 24hr news coverage...it wasn't as big a news story as it could have been had it gone to Cancun or Belize or Honduras and hit a large population...and thank god for that.

But that's why I mentioned the Peru earthquake. That actually did impact a huge population, and had devastating, lost lasting effects...but still didn't get much coverage. I may be a little cynical, indeed - I'll accept that criticism. Having been born overseas, I may still feel a bit of a connection to other world events, but having been raised here most of my life and being a US citizen, I have definately noticed the U.S.-centric focus in education, media, etc.

Hurricane Rita in the US didn't get as much press as Katrina a couple years ago for similar reasons. Katrina affected a huge city with hundreds of thousands of people being displaced from their homes. Rita did similar damage, but to a much more sparsely populated area.

We went through the same thing when Wilma hit us in Oct 05. it wasn't as bad as Katrina or Rita, but did cause tens of millions in damage, left us without power for 8 days, and a weeks-long gas & food shortage. But it missed Miami and didn't compare to the still-ongoing Katrina coverage. That I can certainly understand.

And, quite frankly, there is always something tragic happening somewhere in the world. I don't know if this will come out the way I mean it or not, but we just can't focus on every tragedy or we will all just be miserable thinking about all the poor people who were just affected by this or that. I think we need to feel compassion for people everywhere, but it is natural to focus more on those things that hit "close-to-home" for us.

No question...and I do understand what you are saying. I think it is natural to focus on what is happening nearest to you, and rightfully so. The only problem I have is that often other events don't even merit a brief mention. I'd like to see at least SOME mention, even if just a single sentence, of important events happening elsewhere in the world. More often than not, I find information about world events on the internet through international news agencies, and when I mention some fairly impactful event to even well-read friends and avid newswatchers, they admit they never heard a thing about it.

You have an attachment to Costa Maya, having visited and gotten to know people there. Most Americans have never been to and perhaps never even heard of Costa Maya. The fact that they may be a little detached from the tragedy should not imply that they only care about themselves, though.

Believe it or not, I don't really have a connection. I was only there once, and never left the cruise port. I didn't particularly like the port, and only took the cruise for the other places it visited. I might have enjoyed it more had I known more about Majahual and walked down to see it.

I definately don't think that a person who is not up to date and connected to this tragedy only cares about themselves...by no means. I have a fair confidence in the goodness of people. For the most part, they're limited to what the news informs them of...so many simply weren't aware of the tragedy. Others may be able to see the silver lining and consider the smaller number of people impacted to be a blessing when the storm had the potential to impact so many more...even though those who were affected may have trouble relating to that emotion.

Thanks for the well-worded and levelheaded counterpoint. Hopefully, it shows that a debate or disagreement can be held civilly!

OK, you may not like this response, but why should this be a priority for the International Red Cross website? There are much bigger issues on a global scale than this. This was a small rural area, that in recent years has built up because of a cruise ship terminal that was built there. There was, from all reports, minimal loss of life in the hurricane, the cruise lines who created the port will likely be heavily involved in helping to rebuild it. Many agencies, including the Red Cross are helping as well. This is not, however, the kind of disaster that requires a huge, international aid effort. It is one that can likely be handled locally, with some level of assistance from neighboring countries and from the cruise companies that have an interest in the port.

I never said that it should be a priority... I said it wasn't even mentioned. Which is odd considering there is a Red Cross in Chetumal... you would think it would at the very least be mentioned, so that those that wish to give to that area can. But now, as I understand it, the Red Cross has been contacted by residents and will be stepping in... Yes, we hope that Carnival will step up and help... we know they will assist in rebuilding Costa Maya... but how about the areas outside of there, the people that lost their homes, etc? That is my concern. Thanks to some of the members here that have been working in getting with the various PR depts and trying to get relief efforts started. Cruisers care, that is what is so nice. I have been through enough hurricanes to WANT to reach out to those affected and WANT to give what I can. I also love the people in that area and I know they have lost it all, they have no other sources of income... everything they know is gone. That is heartbreaking and I have felt that way during many hurricanes. This is how I choose to express my heartache, through helping... in any way I can. I never once said this required International aid effort, not even slightly. I said it wasn't even mentioned. It truly has been swept under the rug. This is more than just Costa Maya... had it been mentioned AT ALL, perhaps I would feel diffrently... but these people have truly been forgotten. One of the fastest growing destination for cruise ships, and they have been forgotten... it's sad to me. You don't have to agree... it's just MY opinion. And I thought this the perfect place to share it. I don't understand why people want to argue every single point... it's like people are trying to prove a point and prove to us that these people and this area isn't worthy of our time, money, or effort... if it's not your cup of tea, move on... but some of us are concerned and I'm not sure why that bothers people so much.

Katrina had a whole lot of coverage compared to Rita. Most of the problem is News Coverage in the US. They make thing look worse than they really are. Katrina and Rita were bad BUT we are on the coast and we know what to do where a storm comes. RUN!!!! We went to New Orleans from Christmas right after Katrina. The areas downtown looked like they did before the storm... The areas hit hard by the flooding was some of the residential areas. The Time Picayune in NOLA stated that 2% of the homes in NOLA was condemned. I know most had damage but what needed repair before the storm? And why stay in an area that is below sea level, only can handle a surge from a cat3, and is surrounded by levy's? Everyone that went to school learned this information. Also, what about Mississippi and the damage they had? They told us that the whole city was destroyed but my inlaws home had a couple pieces of siding missing and no flooding.

I don't understand why people want to argue every single point... it's like people are trying to prove a point and prove to us that these people and this area isn't worthy of our time, money, or effort... if it's not your cup of tea, move on... but some of us are concerned and I'm not sure why that bothers people so much.

Not at all. I think it's wonderful that you're concerned and want to help. I don't think complaining about the news coverage or what is or is not on the International Red Cross website is helpful, though. And I'm no news junkie, yet I have heard several news stories about this tragedy, including interviews with leaders in Mexico and Jamaica pledging that the people in the affected areas will get all the help they need. Doing what you can to help is great. Getting ticked off about what you find on the IRC website is wasted energy.

BTW, check out the lead story here:

http://www.ifrc.org/

Archived