Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

Belieze was not really hurt, so that port should be open. There is also Roatan for RCCL to concider. Costa Maya is down for the count for a long time. First reports show the pier nearly demolished and Mahajual also badly damaged. The Mexican government has stated 6-8 months, but I think they is very optimistic.

I think you're right. They said that of Cozumel when she was hit and it was closer to 15 months before the pier re-opened.

By this logic, we should abandon Dominica (which we loved), too. Luckily, neither of us is running the cruise line. I'm not sure which ones are bankrupt but Carnival spent most of the money to develop Costa Maya and I think they're doing ok.

Also, so many people cry for new ports on these boards and yet when they pop up, folks complain that they're not as nice as the over-visited ports.

Here are a couple short slideshows,

memories that Dean can never take away.

I wish all the folks in paradise the best of luck on there rebuild and can not wait for them to get back.

We will make it a point to be back to see them within the 1st 3 months of opening the pier.

Many people on our cruise never left the ship that day, saying there was nothing to do. I have been to many islands and ports and I can honestly say that Majuhual is my favorite, we were the first family to walk down the strip that morning on our way to Pez Quadro and one of the last to leave.

What remarkable people they are.

The folks that never left the port or the ship have no idea what they missed.

Here are some of our memories and we can't wait to make more..

We had all intentions of "going though the fence" to Cha Chi's, just ran out of time. I did stand on the pier and yell over to some folfs, that we will see you next time, and we will!

( Hope they work if not I will make it work)

There is one picture that I really like with the ship in the background between 2 dead Palm tree's and 2 live palm tree's. the 2 dead were caused from the last hurricane.

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/thesmithsinde/?action=view&current=cb02ca22.pbw

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f302/thesmithsinde/?action=view&current=f1e881e3.pbw

These pictures bring tears to my eyes everytime I see one. I was just about to book my next cruise and in figuring out where I wanted to go, CM was the first place I wanted to go back to. Its just so sad, and I've been saying prayers for them.

My question, I took an excursion to this place about 20 minutes from the pier. It was a beach break excursion, and they had dolphins, free drinks, etc. So two questions, one does anyone know exactly where this was? And two, and news on that location and the damage they sustained? They just built a new mini pier and the dolphin area, I'm sure its destroyed but I'm hoping for the best.

I taped tonight's newscast with my digital camera a few hours ago...really bad quality images but you can see the pier in about 7 or 8 pieces in the 2nd video. Also....not on the videos, but an earlier piece with the Gov. of the State had him saying 6-12 months before recuperation and most interestingly that they hoped to put in a tender pier to service the cruise ships while the reconstruction of the main pier was going on...

http://www.dropshots.com/tomjensen#d...08-23/00:24:34

Tom, what is name of the TV station that you taped from? Perhaps they have the broadcast on the net and we can get a better look.

Before and After of shopping Mall

untitled.jpg

CostaMaya.jpg

Chac-Chi before devastation

DSC02240.jpg

Just FYI:

Schplinky: The larger of the two piers in Cozumel HAS NOT BEEN REPAIRED TO THIS DAY. The only pier still in use is the smaller which they have been using..... tendering is a real possibility because of crowding.

Parrothead: Do not get too used to the idea of Roatan yet. At least until it is posted that is where you will be diverted in place of Costa Maya. Roatan is a really small port.... cannot hold alot of big ships.... at least not until they have their new pier. So...everybody can't go there in place of Costa Maya - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Our Voyager cruise in Jan. already has Roatan on the itinerary - so assuming we will divert to Belize in place of Costa Maya.... but will wait and see.

Costa Maya is not a port where tendering is possible. The area is very shallow and the narrow channel that went to the pier is well - narrow. And they have bad crosswinds sometimes - hence the reason Costa Maya gets missed alot. I was told this while there on Legend last year.

They can rebuild the pier and buildings and plant trees but how on earth will they replace the sand on the beach ???? It appears to be rocks and rubble in all the pics posted so far...... alot of work to be done. Those poor people.

I taped tonight's newscast with my digital camera a few hours ago...really bad quality images but you can see the pier in about 7 or 8 pieces in the 2nd video. Also....not on the videos, but an earlier piece with the Gov. of the State had him saying 6-12 months before recuperation and most interestingly that they hoped to put in a tender pier to service the cruise ships while the reconstruction of the main pier was going on...

Thanks stranger ;) I can imagine that brought back some difficult memories... thanks for sharing. It's very sad to watch, but it really could have been worse... from what we hear, there was little to no loss of life (although I still worry about the Mayans that didn't leave). It's amazing what these storms like Dean and Wilma can do to concrete piers. If that doesn't make a person evacuate when a storm comes, I don't know what will :(

I don't see how they will be able to tender in CM... but I do hope they can make it work so revenue can start streaming in again...

Thanks for the video, Tom. :(

Thanks everyone for posting all the pictures. So sad, my favorite port gone. :(

Just FYI:

Schplinky: The larger of the two piers in Cozumel HAS NOT BEEN REPAIRED TO THIS DAY. The only pier still in use is the smaller which they have been using..... tendering is a real possibility because of crowding.

Parrothead: Do not get too used to the idea of Roatan yet. At least until it is posted that is where you will be diverted in place of Costa Maya. Roatan is a really small port.... cannot hold alot of big ships.... at least not until they have their new pier. So...everybody can't go there in place of Costa Maya - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Our Voyager cruise in Jan. already has Roatan on the itinerary - so assuming we will divert to Belize in place of Costa Maya.... but will wait and see.

Costa Maya is not a port where tendering is possible. The area is very shallow and the narrow channel that went to the pier is well - narrow. And they have bad crosswinds sometimes - hence the reason Costa Maya gets missed alot. I was told this while there on Legend last year.

They can rebuild the pier and buildings and plant trees but how on earth will they replace the sand on the beach ???? It appears to be rocks and rubble in all the pics posted so far...... alot of work to be done. Those poor people.

It's true that it will take a lot of work to fix up Costa Maya but they did the same (at least in part) in Cozumel. when we were there in May 06, many of the beaches looked like they had the sand vacuumed off and were not much more than exposed coral. When we returned that September, they were sandy again. I believe they dredge it from the ocean. That's what they did on the Delaware beaches a couple of years ago to replace the sand.

When I was mentioning the pier at Cozumel, I meant the one RCL uses. You're right that the downtown one is still missing. Roaton is a small port but then again, so is Belize City, where one must tender some distance.

OK, has the Costa Maya area ever been hit by a Cat. 5 hurricane prior to Dean? If so, which hurricane in what year?

I know it was hit by Janet in 1955... but I don't know of any other Cat 5s. But it is an area that has been well known for being hit by hurricanes, regardless of the category, simply due to where it is situated.

By the way, you were asked which category Five storms have consistently hit Costa Maya. Still waiting...

I got my information from the weather channel during a telecast last week. Three out of 4 of the most devasting hurricanes hit the same general area. A poster above said Janet and 2 years ago Wilma for the other call the weather channel if it is that important to you.

Don't rebuild it, it was a crappy port of call anyway.

And you are entitled to your opinion... judging by the hundreds of threads posted over the last few days, and the outcrying of support from Cruise Critic members, others it seems feel differently. Sadly, too many people never ventured out beyond the "shopping center" and will never really know what Majahual was really like. For many, Costa Maya/Majahual was a tiny slice of paradise... a port like no other. They will rebuild. It was one of the fastest growing cruise ports... they will rebuild and I pray that it never becomes "commercial" (I guess the port gets called crappy these days if there isn't a McDonalds and Starbucks on every corner :rolleyes: )

I know it was hit by Janet in 1955... but I don't know of any other Cat 5s. But it is an area that has been well known for being hit by hurricanes, regardless of the category, simply due to where it is situated.

Yes,thats true.......It was just implied that area got leveled every few years by a cat 5....

There is time to reminisce...

mahahual.jpg

The Port of Costa Maya Mexico Photos

...and there is a time to do something to help. So what can WE do? I know some of you have personal contacts there. Is there a relief group to who we could make $ donations directly? I am sure these folks need $ more than hand me down clothes and old blankets.

That area is a very bad location due to hurricanes(as previously posted). It almost faces directly at the hurricane source, almost waiting with open arms. Cozumel at least has it's back turned on most hurricanes.

I say find a better place to build a port. JMHO though. :o

hi all Found some more pics thought i share with ya, we hope they build Costa Maya up again and not just let it sit. We thought the place was great, and the people were wonderful when my wife had a bad hang over i talking really bad LOL , we were by one of the bars on the beach i forgot the name they went out of there way to make something for it, and it worked really good some kind of juice it was we went jet sking like 20min later. My Family and i really love that place.

633520764_CostaMaya1.jpg.ef3a9df63310002f8180784f40719cc6.jpg

1095997633_CostaMaya.jpg.6b98299d3bc88183ae13bfb5e8e661b3.jpg

I got my information from the weather channel during a telecast last week. Three out of 4 of the most devasting hurricanes hit the same general area. A poster above said Janet and 2 years ago Wilma for the other call the weather channel if it is that important to you.

But Wilma did not hit Costa Maya. As I'm sure you know, it hit near Cozumel and caused considerable damage there, but didn't affect Costa Maya much at all. Janet, more than 50 years ago, hit to the south of Costa Maya, near Chetumal. That's probably close enough that it would have done some damage to Costa Maya, if the port existed back then, but not the devastation it took with a direct hit. If you're going to count every hurricane that hits the Yucatan as hitting Costa Maya, then you may be right about a major hurricane every few years. But similar could be said about any area that large around the Caribbean. They're not zeroed in on one particular spot.

I'll be completely honest...I am shocked at how much is still there.

Note: I'm not saying this isn't a devastating thing, horrible by all measure, and sad and terrible loss for all who live, work, and visit. It is.

I've been through 5 damaging hurricanes ranging from Cat 1 to Cat 3, and close enough to Cat 4/5 to see what it can do...and considering the extreme proximity to the water and completely exposed landscape of this area, the damage seems more akin to a high category 2 to low category 3 storm. Considering the Cat 5 intensity of Dean the moment it came ashore, these areas withstood the onslaught far better than I imagined they could.

First off, the roofs which were lost were predominantly palm thatch style - not the most wind-resistant style. Second, the foundations are not likely very deep due to the rocky terrain just under the sand...yet a fair number of concrete structures were left standing (compare to hurricane Andrew, which was able to completely flatten cinderblock, some concrete, and all woodframe houses within its eyewall path). And considering Dean's storm surge which must have been 8-10 feet or so, combined with wave action, most structures within several hundred yards of the coast should have been basically removed from existence - yet some structures only a few feet from the ocean are still standing (compare to Katrina which scoured the Mississippi and east Louisiana coastline almost 100% for the first 100-200 yards off the gulf).

This should be a pretty solid advertisement, if people in hurricane zones still weren't aware, of the strength of poured concrete structures in hurricanes. Most of Florida's construction, rated to withstand cat 3+ storms, is of cinderblock and woodframe design. Most of old Mississippi's homes were of woodframe design. But the still-standing structures in Mahahual seem to be all of the concrete structures. And after Andrew and Katrina, the few structures in the eyewall and surge area that were still standing were the concrete hotels and apartments.

Of course, all of that doesn't do anything to appease the losses of the poor folks who live there, because even the concrete structures that are standing were stripped of roofs and windows, foundations were undermined, and storm surge blasted through the bottom floors stripping the interiors of everything. And many other structures were not made of concrete, and basically are gone without a trace.

But if we could be smart enough to learn our lessons from this and other hurricanes, maybe eventually we could require that coastal residences and structures in hurricane zones be built to a higher standard to resist damage in even large storms. Use concrete construction, with low-restriction, slightly curved walls to route the force of air and water around rather than through the wall surface. Use metal hurricane-resistant roof, attached to reinforced, hurricane-strapped wood frame. For beachfront houses, make them two stories, with the bottom floor pillared to the foundation with breakaway outer walls to allow storm surge to flow through. Use hurricane-resistant glass as well as shutters for double duty protection. Double doors and garage doors should be reinforced and have hurricane braces which can be slotted into the ground. It can be done.

The devastating pictures above show that - a category 5 storm landfalling on a flat, sea-level, beachfront town still couldn't take down most of the concrete structures. For less wealthy areas like Mahahual that might not be able to afford these hurricane-proof constructions...most took the smartest possible path - they evacuated. In the end, a life is worth far more than any structure.

I have the greatest sympathy for the folks of the Mayan coast - all the towns affected by this hurricane. Florida has had its share of devastation in 2004 and 2005 from hurricanes, and most Floridians have a newly restored respect and awe of these storms (something that had faded a bit during the many years Florida dodged the bullet). Most gulf residents joined the list in 2005 with Katrina and Rita. But the people of the Yucatan are resilient - they will rebuild, and I certainly look forward to cruising back on the western route to enjoy these lovely places again and support their recovery.

Costa Maya was a man made cruise only port.. not a functioning city which has been around for hundreds of years. Costa Maya was not a populated area 5 years ago, the majority of people came gradually while the area was being built. Millions of dollars will be required to rebuild whats left...since the origional development proved to be such a success, several of you "rebuild it at all costs types" should probably invest in the initial capital it will require to rebuild. IMO the place was a jungle for a reason. Maybe, just maybe, the Mayans were smarter than they are given credit for. Interesting the structures they built in strategic areas are basically still intact.

Actually the place has been inhabited for centuries, by the Mayans you referred to. And Majahual was a fishing village long before there was ever a cruise dock. If you actually left the dock area you would have seen many other villages around the area as well, that have been in existence much longer than 5 years and have absolutely nothing to do with the port. I don't know what makes you think the area is uninhabited.

Your comment that the original development proved to be such a success seems to be quite sarcastic, but as you can see by the many, many posts of people who count it as our favorite port, it obviously HAS been successful. The fact that there's no Carlos N Charlies or Diamonds International doesn't mean it's not a success.

That area is a very bad location due to hurricanes(as previously posted). It almost faces directly at the hurricane source, almost waiting with open arms. Cozumel at least has it's back turned on most hurricanes.

I say find a better place to build a port. JMHO though. :o

So Grand Cayman and Jamaica should both be eliminated as ports of call also???? They get hit more than any other Caribbean locations. And I guess we ought to move Houston, one of the largest ports in the world?

Don't rebuild it, it was a crappy port of call anyway.

Did you visit the area or just the port? I've found that so many people never leave the commercial, cruise-line sponsored, concrete area of the port and think they've visited Costa Maya. That's like walking off the dock at Cozumel and visiting only the duty free area there, and saying there's nothing to do in Cozumel.

Archived