Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

Lol, If there had been a Carlos N Charlies there, I wouldn't have gotten off the ship. That stuff makes me wanna hurl.

The people that never ventured past the Pier/port area, sure missed alot. It was the sorta place where you just go and hang out and chit chat and just learn to be content. Even though it will be rebuilt and reopned, it won't be the same as the Pre-Dean area. I feel very fortunate to have spent aday in Majahaul. It was one of the more memorable days of my life.

Alfonso...if you're out there, I hope you and your family didn't suffer too much damage!

Pez Quadro, guys, I love ya. I hope to see you again!

I agree........I wasnt taking shots........I was just trying to get the poster(who claimed the area was leveled every few years by cat 5 storms) to show me that info,since that was the first I heard that....really surprised me.................at least now I know,it wasnt a true statement...jsut hearsay..

Don't rebuild it, it was a crappy port of call anyway.

That's your opinion as you can see there are alot of people that love this port. At a time like this think about the people that lost their business' and homes. HAVE A HEART!!!

That's your opinion as you can see there are alot of people that love this port. At a time like this think about the people that lost their business' and homes. HAVE A HEART!!!

Maybe he has more HEART then you think. Perhaps he just doesn't want to see even MORE people have to go through the exact same thing in a few years? :confused:

In the Pink, Grand Cayman and Jamaica both are on the EAST side of a peninsula that pretty much face directly into most hurricane's paths? I didn't know that. :confused:

There is time to reminisce...

mahahual.jpg

The Port of Costa Maya Mexico Photos

...and there is a time to do something to help. So what can WE do? I know some of you have personal contacts there. Is there a relief group to who we could make $ donations directly? I am sure these folks need $ more than hand me down clothes and old blankets.

Several of us on a thread yesterday are trying to contact some people in the area, to get an idea of an "official" group or agency that can help us with this. It will probably take a few days. CC has let us know that we can do this on the board if it is an official organization and we have to have it approved... which is understandable. But many people here want to help, and we are waiting to hear back from some of the locals once they get over their shock :( I can't remember which thread it was yesterday, but it was a long one that is locked... there are some email addys in it.

In the Pink, Grand Cayman and Jamaica both are on the EAST side of a peninsula that pretty much face directly into most hurricane's paths? I didn't know that. :confused:

Gee, right that was the major point. But no.... but peninsula or island... which is worse? And which way it "faces"? what does that mean? Hurricanes are circular, which means winds come from both directions, particularly where the eye hits. But, here are some stats for you on hurricanes that have hit Grand Cayman within 60 miles of the eye:

(br)=brush (ts)=Tropical Storm (bd)=Back Door,meaning coming from over land from opposite coast.Not all names are noted,also storms before 1950 were not named.Not every stat on every storm description is given(since 1871).

Years within 60 miles

1873tsbr,1876,1878ts,1879-2tsbr,1885ts,1886br,1887ts,1893ts,1895br

1896,1898tsbr,1899,1903br,1904tsbr,1909ts,1909tsbr,1909br,1909br,1909tsbr

1909br,1910ts,1910br,1911tsbr,1912,1912,1915br,1915br,1916,1918tsbr

1922tsbr,1923tsbr,1927ts,1927tsbr,1928tsbr,1931ts,1932,1933br,1933-2ts,1933-2br

1938br,1939ts,1944,1944,1945tsbr,1948,1951-2br,1952,1955ts,1955

1969ts,1975tsbr,1980br,1981ts,1988,2002ts,2004-2

61 times in 136yrs end of 2006 (the most affected area in the Atlantic basin)

Names from list above

Charlie,Item,Fox,Hilda,Camille,Eloise,Allen,katrina,Gilbert ,Isidore,Charley,Ivan,

How often grand cayman gets affected?

brushed or hit every 2.23 years (most affected on the list)

Average years between direct hurricane hits.(usually within 40 miles to include small hurricanes)

(15h)once every 9.06 years

Jamaica -- I only copied the part since the 1900's:

1903 11 August Hurricane, North Eastern, Jamaica

1909 9-13 November Jamaica and Hispaniola

1912 17-9 November Hurricane, Western Parishes

1915 12-13 August Hurricane

1915 25-6 September Storm [hurricane]

1916 15-16 August Hurricane, All Jamaica

1917 23 September Hurricane

1932 4-10 Nov Cuba, Cayman Is, Jamaica

1933 27 June - 3 July Trinidad, Venezuela, Jamaica, Cuba

1933 14-16 August flooding in Kingston/St. Andrew

1935 19-25Oct Haiti, offshore Jamaica, Honduras

1944 20 August Disastrous Hurricane

1951 17 August Hurricane Charlie, Kingston/Port Royal/Morant Bay damaged

1963 5-7 October Hurricane Flora

1980 4-7 August Hurricane Allen

1988 12 September Hurricane Gilbert

[1900s - 16]

2004 10-11 September Hurricane Ivan

2007 - August - Hurricane Dean

And there's no point in even mentioning how often Cozumel and Cancun get hit. So what was the point again about Costa Maya getting hit too often to be a viable port of call?

That area is a very bad location due to hurricanes(as previously posted). It almost faces directly at the hurricane source, almost waiting with open arms. Cozumel at least has it's back turned on most hurricanes.

I say find a better place to build a port. JMHO though. :o

I have been to CM 4 times since 2003, and only remember 2 hurricanes causing damage. Wilma, which they picked up from rather quickly (we were there not too long after, and while they didn't have power fully restored, it was one of my favorite days), and Dean. This would be like saying cruise lines shouldn't cruise out of Florida any longer because they get hit by so many hurricanes. Cozumel was impacted very heavily by Wilma, Grand Cayman has been hit hard, many caribbean ports have been hit hard, but to say that CM has been hit harder than others just isn't true, at least in recent years.

They can rebuild the pier and buildings and plant trees but how on earth will they replace the sand on the beach ???? It appears to be rocks and rubble in all the pics posted so far...... alot of work to be done. Those poor people.

Beach renewal is done in this area after every hurricane and after some tropical storms if they cause enough beach erosion. They use large pumps and hoses and actually reclaim the sand from under the water and pump it back up on the shore. It is an expensive venture but it is common in areas that rely on their beaches for tourist income.

Here is a website that shows how it is done if you are interested.

http://www.gldd.com/Projects_Sub.asp?subCat=Beach

Several of us on a thread yesterday are trying to contact some people in the area, to get an idea of an "official" group or agency that can help us with this. It will probably take a few days. CC has let us know that we can do this on the board if it is an official organization and we have to have it approved... which is understandable. But many people here want to help, and we are waiting to hear back from some of the locals once they get over their shock :( I can't remember which thread it was yesterday, but it was a long one that is locked... there are some email addys in it.
Thanks Lucy! Keep us up to date on how we can assist.

First off, the roofs which were lost were predominantly palm thatch style - not the most wind-resistant style. Second, the foundations are not likely very deep due to the rocky terrain just under the sand...yet a fair number of concrete structures were left standing (compare to hurricane Andrew, which was able to completely flatten cinderblock, some concrete, and all woodframe houses within its eyewall path). And considering Dean's storm surge which must have been 8-10 feet or so, combined with wave action, most structures within several hundred yards of the coast should have been basically removed from existence - yet some structures only a few feet from the ocean are still standing (compare to Katrina which scoured the Mississippi and east Louisiana coastline almost 100% for the first 100-200 yards off the gulf).

This should be a pretty solid advertisement, if people in hurricane zones still weren't aware, of the strength of poured concrete structures in hurricanes. Most of Florida's construction, rated to withstand cat 3+ storms, is of cinderblock and woodframe design. Most of old Mississippi's homes were of woodframe design. But the still-standing structures in Mahahual seem to be all of the concrete structures. And after Andrew and Katrina, the few structures in the eyewall and surge area that were still standing were the concrete hotels and apartments.

It has already been noted that most of the concrete structures will have to come down, because of erosion underneath the structures and damage to the underside of the concrete.

Also, concrete did not help the pier remain in tact.:rolleyes:

The people that never ventured past the Pier/port area, sure missed alot. It was the sorta place where you just go and hang out and chit chat and just learn to be content. Even though it will be rebuilt and reopned, it won't be the same as the Pre-Dean area. I feel very fortunate to have spent aday in Majahaul. It was one of the more memorable days of my life.

We were one of the unfortunate.:( Both times that we visited Costa Maya, my elderly parents were with us. They could not go past the shopping district. I dearly regret that we didn't get to tour the ruins (something my father really wanted to do), but the tour was too long for them. I really, really wanted to go to Majahual this last trip and try the bars, get a $20 massage, but again we were afraid to leave my parents for too long. Next time! :)

Just watched the video that was posted. Did you see all the coral that had washed up!!! :( :(

5 years ago the place was a jungle, no people, no running water, no phones or electricity. Now it is back to where it was before man intervened. I do not think they received return on the initial investment. Since the area has a history of the most powerful storms ever to strike soil, it would seem wise to leave it in its natural state instead of once again, throwing millions of dollars into a pier and strip mall.

Wow, with attitude like that Holland would be flooded and Venice would be just a bunch of swamps.

Just FYI:

Schplinky: The larger of the two piers in Cozumel HAS NOT BEEN REPAIRED TO THIS DAY. The only pier still in use is the smaller which they have been using..... tendering is a real possibility because of crowding.

Just an FYI. I know for a fact that at least 2 piers are open at Cozumel. I was there in July. We were at one pier (Senor Frogs) and another Carnival ship was about a half a mile south of us at another pier. I think it was the Legend.

If someone's got the time . . you can probably go to cruisecal and see who was to be in Costa Maya and figure out where the empty berths are in other ports on the same day

I just did this myself for my January cruise on the Grandeur - looks like Cozumel or Roatan. Roatan would be the most logical, close and no ships in port that day.

RCCL is saying they won't have any information which ships are going to which ports until the end of September.

Just an FYI. I know for a fact that at least 2 piers are open at Cozumel. I was there in July. We were at one pier (Senor Frogs) and another Carnival ship was about a half a mile south of us at another pier. I think it was the Legend.

The ferry pier (Fiscal) is in the downtown area.

The Punta Langosta pier is the next pier south.

The International pier is the next pier south.

The car ferry pier is the next one.

The Puerta Maya pier (Carnivals) is the pier furthest south. It is still under construction.

Dave

:confused: Hey GoinCrusin~~~~~~ first I've seen a title like that under a name.......how did you get you name in there?

It was a present to me for my 30,000th post LOL (<-----I'm far too addicted to CC than I should be!!!!)

Archived