Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean discussion (merged)

memphislonghorn

By this logic, we should abandon Dominica (which we loved), too. Luckily, neither of us is running the cruise line. I'm not sure which ones are bankrupt but Carnival spent most of the money to develop Costa Maya and I think they're doing ok.

Also, so many people cry for new ports on these boards and yet when they pop up, folks complain that they're not as nice as the over-visited ports.

Whose bright Idea was that place? They get Hurricanes all the time there. Pardon my sarcasm towards the folks who feel that CM should be left for dead due to hurricane frequency.

Am I the only person who thinks the cruiselines might have insured their investment?

Thanks for all of the information and pictures. I really appreciate the letter that mrleo33 shared and Debbie's remarks from her friend Julie. We were in Costa Maya in Jan 05 and took the dune buggy excursion to an area past the town of Majahaul and the beach was beautiful. All of the people we encountered were very friendly. We bought some shell wind chimes from some young children on a back road and I keep thinking of their welfare during this. We also pray they can rebuild and survive until we can start arriving again to help their economy. Thanks for all of your sharing. I have found more information on cruisecritic than the regular news.

Whose bright Idea was that place? They get Hurricanes all the time there. Pardon my sarcasm towards the folks who feel that CM should be left for dead due to hurricane frequency.

Am I the only person who thinks the cruiselines might have insured their investment?

I agree with you. I think there is such a thirst for new ports that many more will be "created" in areas like Costa Maya. I recall hearing once that RCL might construct a new private island in the Belize area and if they do, I'll be on the first ship out. I think private islands are something RCL does incredibly well.

CC is starting to report some of the diversions of ships taking place in the next short while in the half year or so it will take to rebuild. Not all lines are reporting in yet but here is the news:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2167

Thanks Lee.but looks like this part is not updated.........Rhapsody(Aug 26th) is going to Playa Del Carmen(according to www.rccl.com)

Royal Caribbean

Enchantment of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas, Navigator of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas and Voyager of the Seas all have Costa Maya stops scheduled on upcoming Western Caribbean cruises. The first Royal Caribbean ship set to return is Rhapsody of the Seas, departing August 26 out of Galveston on a seven-night Western Caribbean cruise. The original plans to visit Costa Maya on Thursday August 30 will undoubtedly be changed. We'll let you know when Royal Caribbean makes an announcement.

But Wilma did not hit Costa Maya. As I'm sure you know, it hit near Cozumel and caused considerable damage there, but didn't affect Costa Maya much at all. Janet, more than 50 years ago, hit to the south of Costa Maya, near Chetumal. That's probably close enough that it would have done some damage to Costa Maya, if the port existed back then, but not the devastation it took with a direct hit. If you're going to count every hurricane that hits the Yucatan as hitting Costa Maya, then you may be right about a major hurricane every few years. But similar could be said about any area that large around the Caribbean. They're not zeroed in on one particular spot.

Janet 1955 Gilbert 1988 Iris 2001 Wilma 2005 Dean 2007. Belize City to Cancun is the same distance from Miami to Jacksonville. Florida only boasts 1 Cat 5 (Andrew) during the same 50 year time period.

Hello All,

Here are some pics from the John heald website of what the pier looks like and it's not good.:( In fact complete replica of what happened to cozumel's piers after WILMA tore through.

Thing too is i was supposed to go to cozumel and got detoured to costa maya cause of what wilma did..

Carnival Liberty 2/26/06

Carnival Freedom 12/1/07

08232007costamaya5.jpg.5cfe0b01024a45632cd94a60ff5bd847.jpg

08232007costamaya1.jpg.d6239e813b3b639e5b74bb76ebcc7293.jpg

08232007costamaya3.jpg.bbe11276575395ca5df3cd817f4c7dfc.jpg

08232007costamaya21.jpg.2ef3be817087b3950fe1ff7f58d0e1ae.jpg

08232007costamaya6.jpg.1ca6117ca623d17e28e4ff0f110c26ce.jpg

Janet 1955 Gilbert 1988 Iris 2001 Wilma 2005 Dean 2007. Belize City to Cancun is the same distance from Miami to Jacksonville. Florida only boasts 1 Cat 5 (Andrew) during the same 50 year time period.

Janet was the only one close to Costa Maya, though (prior to Dean, of course). Plus Iris was a Cat. 4 and did not even hit in your rather large area of "Belize City to Cancun". It was a bit south of Belize city. Wilma was not a Cat. 5 at landfall, either, but was close, as a strong Cat. 4.

Anyway, yes, the Yucatan peninsula is prone to hurricanes, as is the entire Caribbean basin. I will concede that, but you earlier claimed that Costa Maya got devastated every few years by a Cat. 5 hurricane. That was a gross exaggeration of the facts.

Thanks for all of the information and pictures. I really appreciate the letter that mrleo33 shared and Debbie's remarks from her friend Julie. We were in Costa Maya in Jan 05 and took the dune buggy excursion to an area past the town of Majahaul and the beach was beautiful. All of the people we encountered were very friendly. We bought some shell wind chimes from some young children on a back road and I keep thinking of their welfare during this. We also pray they can rebuild and survive until we can start arriving again to help their economy. Thanks for all of your sharing. I have found more information on cruisecritic than the regular news.

Your welcome bjcruising. I agree. More info. here than from the media. Granted, some of our news has come from certain media sources but for the most part, it's first hand or word of mouth.

I was going to reprint Julie's email as they were on the other thread that was locked, then unlocked and now people might not see the info. But I don't want to take up space here.. Should they be reprinted here???

Thanks for clarifying the pools. After I saw someone's arial view, it made more sense. We didn't go into town much except to switch vans. I have also e-mail Dave (Dave & Ivan). Haven't heard yet. I have some "away from the port pictures that we took" that I can send later if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know if those cement pink/orange buildings will be torn down also?

Oh I do remember as we were driving down the long road (highway), Dave was talking (and I think he was happy about it) that business should be booming a lot soon. Dave also mentioned that he also takes tours from about two or three hours away. Maybe he will be doing more from there again.

All the pics are really heartbreaking......Hopefully, they will get all the help they need and deserve and get things back in order..........One cant help by feel really bad for the people there....

All the pics are really heartbreaking......Hopefully, they will get all the help they need and deserve and get things back in order..........One cant help by feel really bad for the people there....

Kathy, I think that help will come fast and they will get the area up and running again soon. Look how fast they got Coz back up and running. Did not take that long.:)

Kathy, I think that help will come fast and they will get the area up and running again soon. Look how fast they got Coz back up and running. Did not take that long.:)

You're right.........really didnt take that long considering all the damage...

Geez, can you give it a rest? Our favorite port has been destroyed. I don't really give a rat's behind about how many time a hurricane has hit there. I'm concerned about what I can do to help. I love this port and can't wait until it's rebuilt. Thanks for all of the photos everyone.

Thank you.

Regardless of what some think, others are going to think different. This is a port that some love, some hate, either way, it is a port where humans have lost EVERYTHING they have ever worked for, owned, made, etc. Human life has been destroyed, maybe not by death but everything these people know is destroyed.

Have some compassion & either do what you can to help by thoughts, prayers, financial, physical help, whatever you can do, if not...well, I just hope you never have to go through what these people have.

Like Debbie mentioned earlier, I too have issues with lots of areas of Mexico. This port, the people were wonderful & appreciative. Even if they weren't, I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

We never got to go to Costa Maya (have only been cruising for a few years) but I really hope they're able to regroup and get it up and going. It's nice to have western swings that are more than the regular jamaica>grandcaymen>cozumel swing.

Thanks for clarifying the pools. After I saw someone's arial view, it made more sense. We didn't go into town much except to switch vans. I have also e-mail Dave (Dave & Ivan). Haven't heard yet. I have some "away from the port pictures that we took" that I can send later if anyone is interested.

Does anyone know if those cement pink/orange buildings will be torn down also?

Not a complete picture but maybe you can see the different pools here.

47b7d603b3127cceb98d0052cd2700000026108AcN2zNk5cNE

This is right behind the volleyball pool

47b7d603b3127cceb98e7aa42c0800000025108AcN2zNk5cNE

47b7d603b3127cceb98f74af0c4800000026108AcN2zNk5cNE

This is the volleyball pool

47b7d603b3127cceb988429eed8700000026108AcN2zNk5cNE

For memories & to know it will be in the future again

47b7d603b3127cceb98f71694c1400000026108AcN2zNk5cNE

the 1st time my parents went to Costa Maya they had to be tendered in as there was not yet a dock,,, Frank and I went a few years later and the dock was in but nothing much else... we did the trip to Kohulnich on an un AC buss while the road was under construction.. What a wonderful time we had:D this is so sad for all of them who worked so hard to make this lovely port... I will watch for upcoming information for disaster relief funds.

Aerial photo of Costa Maya. This is the first photo I have seen of the port buildings.

r2153826068.jpg?x=380&y=217&sig=Y1bIea9M0S7BvmrNkJEj3g--

Jetskier,

Can you post the link where you got this pic? Or PM it to me please?

I want to blow it up and check it out better.

Thanks so much,

Danielle

I taped tonight's newscast with my digital camera a few hours ago...really bad quality images but you can see the pier in about 7 or 8 pieces in the 2nd video. Also....not on the videos, but an earlier piece with the Gov. of the State had him saying 6-12 months before recuperation and most interestingly that they hoped to put in a tender pier to service the cruise ships while the reconstruction of the main pier was going on...

http://www.dropshots.com/tomjensen#date/2007-08-23/00:24:34

PB Tom, thank you so much for posting those videos. We appreciate the update. Such a tragedy as you well know from personal experience.

We visited Costa Maya in May 2006, the port was so wonderful that we never went into town. It is definitely marked as one of our favorite ports. We tried to find the hole in the fence for Chai Chi but never did, it is good to see the pictures that someone posted with the pathway - when we come back we will try again, maybe they will take the fence down! Our hearts go out to Chai Chi and his family.

Anyway I wanted to share our pictures of Costa Maya, enjoy.....

http://gilandpatsy.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=album02&page=1

I also will be looking for relief efforts focused on this area.

I am a member of the hole in the fence gang. The link in my signature provided step by step info on how to get to Chac-Chi. I have edited it now to cover the damage they have sustained.

I am so happy that these people were able to get out OK. There tiny resort has brought much happiness to many people.

Archived