How do you really feel about Formal Night?

How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?  

905 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

We do enjoy formal night but I no longer take the tux and opt for a nice black suit. I don't mind two formal nights on a 7 day cruise but I would prefer the other 5 nights were all casual. We usually take a break from the dining room on one of the informal nights!

Having sailed Celebrity and Princess, we are looking forward to our first time on Royal Caribbean this December!

I do it cause I am suppose to, but would rather not. I have been to way too many formal events in my life, and would rather not do it on vacation. I would probably cruise more if I did not have to dress in anything but vacation clothes. That is why I go to Hawaii so often. Shorts, flops and short sleeve shirts are the norm no matter where you are in Hawaii.

That is exactly what I wear durring the day on a ship. Only difference is formal nights. Then we like to have drinks in a bar or by the pool in our formal wear. Just "another" type of fun that is availible on board.

That is exactly what I wear durring the day on a ship. Only difference is formal nights. Then we like to have drinks in a bar or by the pool in our formal wear. Just "another" type of fun that is availible on board.

I get it, and I totally appreciate why people enjoy it. But I have done it way too much in my life when not on vacation, that I just don't enjoy it on Vacation.

That is exactly why we like cruising... you can dress up or not. On Galaxy you really didn't have a choice...or one that I can remember.. been several years. With RCCI you DO have a choice. That is what is so great about this line! Lets you do what you want/how you want. :)

Either have it and enforce it or do away with it.

Or make 1 DR where possible formal for those who want to.

And for the record we dress up but change after dinner is over.

I thought that is how it was on RCCI... Dinning room for those who want to dress up for formal nights and the Windjammer for those who don't. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I thought that is how it was on RCCI... Dinning room for those who want to dress up for formal nights and the Windjammer for those who don't. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Exactly. Windjammer for people who don't want to and on those ships that have Chops and/or Portofino, you can go there too. Those venues are smart casual every night.

I enjoy dressing up, as I pretty much live in scrubs in real life. The rest of the family (DH and DSs) also enjoy dressing up, and it's nice to have pictures taken of us that way. But I really don't care what others wear...it doesn't affect how we enjoy our evening at all. The manners of those seated around me have more to do with how I enjoy my evening than does the way in which they are dressed.

That is true in theory. However there are people who have decided that since it is their cruise they can show up dressed in whatever makes them feel good and they had better be admitted to the dining room or else.

I applaud those who make other arrangements so that the evening isn't tainted for those who want to maintain tradition.

You left out our usual choice: We don't care to dress formally on most cruises. Instead of either dressing formally and not enjoying it or not dressing formally and ignoring the dress request--We opt for one of the alternate dining options (Chop's wearing resort casual; Windjammer in casual; room service wearing whatever). So our choice is "don't dress up, but also don't go to the dining room on formal nights."

beachchick

I do it cause I am suppose to, but would rather not. I have been to way too many formal events in my life, and would rather not do it on vacation. I would probably cruise more if I did not have to dress in anything but vacation clothes. That is why I go to Hawaii so often. Shorts, flops and short sleeve shirts are the norm no matter where you are in Hawaii.

This isn't entirely true. There are many times and places where more formal attire is not only appropriate, but expected, in Hawaii. You don't usually find Hawaii residents in the finer dining establishments or theaters or church weddings or etc. wearing shorts, t's, and flip flops. You do see visitors dressed that way because they assume that it's appropriate anywhere. There are any number of "levels" of less casual attire: formal attire Hawaiian style, formal attire "US" style, and semi-formal or resort casual attire. You see it in business, you see it at formal events, you see it at the finer establishments. My DH has mentioned more than once that he can often spot some visitors when we're dining at an upscale place or similar venue because they will be the ones in cutoffs, casual tank top, and flip flops.

beachchick

You left out our usual choice: We don't care to dress formally on most cruises. Instead of either dressing formally and not enjoying it or not dressing formally and ignoring the dress request--We opt for one of the alternate dining options (Chop's wearing resort casual; Windjammer in casual; room service wearing whatever). So our choice is "don't dress up, but also don't go to the dining room on formal nights."

beachchick

I thought that was covered by "Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me." Unless, of course, it does bother you, then you could vote that you wish they'd get rid of formal night.

I love it and wish every night was formal night although i can imagine that would make it less special. I understand some people dont want to particiapte and thats fine but what annoys me more is the low standards of dress people fall to on other evening. We make an effort on every night - even the casual nights and the kids conform too but i hate to see people slobbing about in trackies and t shirts in the dinning room thats what the windjammer is for.

DW and I enjoy getting dressed up for formal night, but it's freaking cruise and I'm cruising to enjoy myself... so I'm not going to let anyone else's clothing bother me... except of course for the old fat guy in the speedo. :p

We always change back into more comfortable clothing after dinner. I wear suit and tie regularly so as soon as I can I change.

I applaud those who make other arrangements so that the evening isn't tainted for those who want to maintain tradition.

"Tainted?" Do you really have nothing better to ponder during dinner than other people's clothes?

And the "other arrangements" usually means the buffet, which is of course, inferior. Second-class food for second-class folks eh?

I wish they would have 'smart casual' rather than formal. Formal requires lots more packing for only 1 or 2 nights of dressing up (especially for the men).

I usually do the tuxedo rental, so it costs me about $90 rental fee, but makes for two evenings that I don't even have to worry about packing for.

Archived