How do you really feel about Formal Night?

How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?  

905 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

Personally I can take it or leave it...there are many positive things about formal night and many negatives...I really think it is a traditional thing that should be up held...but I like the idea that you may chose not to dress up and go to the Windjammer or a specialty restaurant for dinner and not interfere with those who love to dress up. I also love looking at all the handsome men and lovely women's gowns...it is so elegant to watch. So I hope that the cruise lines all keep formal nights.

We love it and I do mean both of us. I work from home and I am an artist so to say the least my everyday clothes are pretty awful, with paint all over them.

I love dressing up because when we got out here most places are very casual, so I don't really get a chance

DH's office went business casual everyday a few years ago so he too likes to dress up.

I love the whole evening as it really is a special evening for us and we stay in our fancy duds all evening.

Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.

That is what I voted for and that's how I feel. I love getting dressed up on cruises, because I never usually get dressed up at home. I love to take the time and look really nice, take pictures, and just walk around in your best attire. I would hate if they do away with it, its the whole point we cruise, especially RCI.

Personally, we can do without it ... but we understand the tradition behind it, and have enjoyed formal nights with those that have never experienced one before.

For us 1) a very quiet Windjammer, 2) a view of the wake, 3) a gracious WJ staff that makes us feel very welcome, 4) food that *in our opinion* is just as good as the dining room, 5) not being rushed to get out at the end of our meal...well, all those things put together, I think everyone can figure out what our preference is.

Michael & Silke

I have mixed emotions. Sometimes on formal nights there are activities going on where I would feel too rushed to go to and then get dressed for dinner. My husband hates (I'm working on him) eating anywhere else for dinner except the dining room, so this has been the case a few times. Once we even had a Meet & Mingle right before a formal dinner. That was one lonely M&M.

I dress up. I enjoy dressing up as long as I feel I have the time to do so. Was that confusing enough? :D

Didn't vote - I do not participate in formal night - don't want to spoil other peoples' fun and do not wish to go through the excersize. I stopped "playing" dress up when I was seven or eight years old - I need to dress often enough for legitimately formal events so it offers no mystique.

I wish that the lines offered better non-formal alternatives -- they try but, the food and atmosphere at the alternate dining establishments just is not to the same level as the dining room.

We mostly take land-based vacations but I must admit that part of the fun of a cruise for me is dressing up! I'll be curious to see how many others dress up on RCI. Our experiences on Princess and Celebrity were that most were dressed up on formal night. I suppose I wasn't paying much attention but I really don't remember seeing anyone who wasn't.

I love looking good, and nothing makes you look better than formalwear! We don't change after dinner (late seating)--why would we? On occassion, when formal night has fallen on a late port night, we'll go into town dressed to the nines!

I don't find wearing a gown or cocktail dress any harder than wearing a sundress -- in fact, it's easier to put on than capris and shirt! One piece! Granted, menswear has an extra step or two, but they look so hot, it's worth the trouble!

We've been there and done that, my DH and I haven't attended a formal night since 2002. We just go to Chops and Portofino on those nights. If we are not dressing formal, we would never eat in the dining room, as it is disrespectful to those who do. We don't take as much luggage and we have more time to enjoy the ports or a sea day if we don't have to come back to dress.

Tasha

I like formal night and look forward to dressing up but, only 1 is necessary not 2 on a 7 day cruise and certainly none on shorter cruises.

I am overall disappointed at how sloppy people tend to dress on any cruise for dinner. I wish people would read the cruise documents and follow them.

I am tired of the "I am on vacation so, I don't care how I dress" attitude.

I call it "I am just too lazy to change my clothes so, I will wear whatever I sweated in all day for dinner". YUCK!! I have had those type of people at my table and it isn't a pleasant dining experience :rolleyes:

I love dressing up on formal night! To me, that is part of the fun of going on a cruise. How often do you really get to dress up unless you are in a profession that requires you to do so? I would be pretty upset if they did away with formal night. Besides, you have to go back to your cabin to clean up for dinner anyways, I don't see a problem with putting on a dress rather than a normal day outfit. Even if formal night was done away with, I would still find it inappropriate to wear beachwear into a nice dining room.

We like dressing up. My husband does the rental tux from the cruise line so we don't have to bring one, and that helps with the luggage. But I also think casual should be casual and include jeans.

One thing we have noticed over the years is that first night dressing is usually very casual because people don't have their luggage yet and may have been traveling all day. Then the second night is formal night and you wonder where all the elegant people came from. They sure don't look like the folks from the night before. We clean up really well!

We like dressing up. The big problem is the airlines and their restrictive weight limits. If packing formal wear puts us over the limit I will leave it home (I don't do the rental thing) and skip formal nights.

I enjoy at least one formal night because it is the one time that we as a couple and a family really get to dress up and show off. We don't have a lot of opportunities during our normal day to day to do just that.

I also think it is very impressive to see everyone else on board get dressed up and how nice the ship looks on Formal nights.

On the other hand, if someone chooses not to dress up, that is ok with me as well. I have been there. There have been one or two formal nights where it was a long day and just didn't want to take the effort to dress up.

I do wish that RCCL was a little more consistant with formal night though and had the Head waiters at the doors "asking" those who were not in proper attire to enjoy one of the other dining options on that night. There are so many other places that It is disappointing that those who choose not to dress up don't go there instead.

Just a personal preference........

I'm probably wrong as usual but I thought formal night was dressing up to go to the Captain's Cocktail Party and after you went to dinner. The Voyager class ships no longer have the Captain's Party but offer a meeting in the promenade with everyone shoving and pushing to get a good view. I saw a couple get drinks spilled on them so dressing up did them no good. Without the Captain's Cocktail Party there isn't much use dressing up unless you want your picture taken They still have the private reception for Gold and above and can't remember if people were all dressed up.

I can take it or leave it, but my wife and daughter really like getting "dolled up" and look very nice, so I can throw a tie and jacket on for them. Living in Waco, TX, dressing up is wearing jeans instead of shorts to the local bbq joint!

I have a question for you all.... on formal nights do you stay in your formal wear or do you go change? We like to stay in our formal wear and live it up a bit!!

And we stay dressed up after dinner. We like being part of that grand tradition and we really enjoy seeing everyone else who has dressed up. As for "playing dress up", we both work in professions where we are in suits several days a week. Some weeks, all seven days for me. So, it's certainly not about getting to pretend something. For us, it's just a really special night out on the ship. We hope some form of Formal Night will survive all the supposed cultural change.

I do it cause I am suppose to, but would rather not. I have been to way too many formal events in my life, and would rather not do it on vacation. I would probably cruise more if I did not have to dress in anything but vacation clothes. That is why I go to Hawaii so often. Shorts, flops and short sleeve shirts are the norm no matter where you are in Hawaii.

Archived