How do you really feel about Formal Night?

How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?  

905 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

We would probably go to a specialty restaurant on formal night, but don't want to miss my 1/2 dozen lobster tails! We do dress formal, but could absolutely care less what someone else wears. To let someone else's choice of clothing ruin my evening would be be a shame.

I've been tempted to leave the formal clothes at home on longer cruises to save on luggage space, but haven't given in yet.

I have a question for you all.... on formal nights do you stay in your formal wear or do you go change? We like to stay in our formal wear and live it up a bit!!

We normally take photos, eat dinner, walk a around a bit then go change. I have tried keeping it on but if you go dancing etc it get hot and sweaty and on deck it is often too windy and chilly for a nice dress and difficult to walk in heels. I love dressing up though. It is so elegant and reminds me of how cruising used to be for the upper class and wealthy so many, many years ago. It's traditional!

If your ship has them, or can also go to Portofino and/or Chops on formal night. Those restaurants do not have formal night, and are stated as being smart casual every night.

We agree once again :D Not only is the food SOOOO much better, you can wear what you want and eat when you want ;) I didn't realize it until our party of 10 were leaving that they actually served my BIL who was wearing jeans (gasp!!!!) :eek: :D

###

I do it cause I am suppose to, but would rather not. I have been to way too many formal events in my life, and would rather not do it on vacation. I would probably cruise more if I did not have to dress in anything but vacation clothes. That is why I go to Hawaii so often. Shorts, flops and short sleeve shirts are the norm no matter where you are in Hawaii.

I'm right there with ya, fitzLA!

I really enjoyed our cruise and won't complain about the suggested attire; however, I LOVE not worrying about what to wear while on vacation. Give me shorts and a t-shirt and I am HAPPY! :D Capris or slacks with a cute top is fine too. Anything formal is just more work - and takes up precious luggage space.

We agree once again :D Not only is the food SOOOO much better, you can wear what you want and eat when you want I didn't realize it until our party of 10 were leaving that they actually served my BIL who was wearing jeans (gasp!!!!)

###

We always agree. :D

I'm right there with ya, fitzLA!

I really enjoyed our cruise and won't complain about the suggested attire; however, I LOVE not worrying about what to wear while on vacation. Give me shorts and a t-shirt and I am HAPPY! Capris or slacks with a cute top is fine too. Anything formal is just more work - and takes up precious luggage space.

Takes up too much luggage space that could be used for flops. ;) :D

I have a question for you all.... on formal nights do you stay in your formal wear or do you go change? We like to stay in our formal wear and live it up a bit!!

Laura, not an option for me, I'm afraid. I have very bad ankles, and can't tolerate more than an hour in anything except cross-trainers. And trust me, you don't want to see me wandering the deck in my black chiffon formal and tennies! :p

As of this writing, a combined total of 427 (70.57%) voters either dress formally only under duress, OR aren't bothered/don't care what others do. Only 108 (17.85%) feel the dress code should be enforced.

MakinGold: Is this what you expected? How about everyone else?

If you only knew how many pairs I own! :D

Do you own more than me? I think I am doing pretty good with about 30 pairs or so. I lost count. :eek: :D Pretty good for a guy, huh? Counts for almost half of my shoes. And yes, I have about 65 pairs of shoes. Shoes, Cruising and Hawaii! My weaknesses.

My DW and I have just come back from our first cruise, on the Jewel. We are an ordinary couple who were celebrating their 30th anniversary in style. We decided to do the formal nights in full. I bought a tux especially for the cruise. Yes it might have been a worn once suit from E-Bay but it was the business. My wife who never usually goes for the glam as she is size conscious made a special effort and looked a dream. Everyone on our table of 10 made an effort as well and made it for us a wonderful occassion. In general I would say 90% also were formally dressed and this made for 3 really special evenings. Those who did not equally enjoyed themselves and no-one minded of course. It was that sort of ship. A great big happy family, my wife and I are proud to have been part of.

<wipes tear from eye>

On the same cruise, our table was also fully tux'd on formal nights and they were great. However, a wish (for whatever reason) not to wear a tux should not IMHO exclude one from attending the main dining room. There was one couple of first-time cruisers who avoided the first formal night but attended the second following encouragement from me and others. They chose to dress smartly but no tie or tux and loved the atmosphere.

Barkeeper - are you joining us on the reunion cruise on Independence on 9 August 2008? I haven't actually booked yet but should be doing so within the next couple of days.

By the way, as we are "one big happy family", may I send you my credit card bill?:D :D

Andrew.

I so totally agree with you. I don't give two hoots what someone is wearing, as long as they are a pleasure to be around. That is what makes my dining experience enjoyable.

Thank you so much!

I think that in life it is what you focus on. In your line of work I'm sure that you see things that the average person does not, and possibly would not want to see. I do as well.

In one of those forwards that are so popular in life instruction, I recall seeing a line that said something like I wonder if the women on the Titanic who perished thought better of resisting the temptation to have dessert after dinner.

I am part of the Insurance Industry and of late have had the misfortune/priviledge of helping many people with death claims for all sorts of reasons. Ultimately as we have gotten older we care less and less about the appearances of others, and care more and more about the effect that they have on us and we on them. Life can be short or long, how much better off we would all be if we could treat each other with respect and kindness, have a laugh and always dance as though no one is watching.

Dee

My husband, our son and some dear friends just recently returned form AOS 8/5-8/12 cruise. After all the planning and packing for the formal nights. It thought it was absolutely fabulous that we dressed up for dinner instead of being casual. The Vivaldi dining room was so beautiful and being dressed up made you feel very elegant. I think it is great!!! It was worth it.

As of this writing, a combined total of 427 (70.57%) voters either dress formally only under duress, OR aren't bothered/don't care what others do. Only 108 (17.85%) feel the dress code should be enforced.

MakinGold: Is this what you expected? How about everyone else?

It's pretty close to what I expected, but I thought there would be more who said they do not dress up and maybe a little less of those who say they dress up, but would rather not. This poll suggests that about 90% dress formally, but I think it tends to be a bit lower than that. Maybe it's just 90% of CC regulars. :)

DH really gets into it, and I don't mind it because I love the festive atmosphere on the ship on formal nights, and I also love to people watch. I tend to change clothes after dinner, though, unless I am wearing something really comfortable...and formal wear generally isn't too comfortable.

Thank you so much!

I think that in life it is what you focus on. In your line of work I'm sure that you see things that the average person does not, and possibly would not want to see. I do as well.

In one of those forwards that are so popular in life instruction, I recall seeing a line that said something like I wonder if the women on the Titanic who perished thought better of resisting the temptation to have dessert after dinner.

I am part of the Insurance Industry and of late have had the misfortune/priviledge of helping many people with death claims for all sorts of reasons. Ultimately as we have gotten older we care less and less about the appearances of others, and care more and more about the effect that they have on us and we on them. Life can be short or long, how much better off we would all be if we could treat each other with respect and kindness, have a laugh and always dance as though no one is watching.

Dee

This is just what we have tried to instill in our sons, who are now ages 19 & 21. They have opted, as we have, to dress formally for the formal nights, but I was pleased that they never once commented on those around us who didn't choose to dress formally. I think they believe, as I do, that it is a shallow thing to do.

I also agree with you about how the line of work you choose can affect your viewpoint in life. I work with brain injured children/teens. Cruising is my favorite way to get away from it all. I love the relaxing atmosphere, meeting new people, and being together with my DH and sons. We will soon be "empty nesters" and I cherish these days and memories. I'm not about to let how someone else chooses to dress spoil it for me.

We loved dressing up on our first cruise and plan to do so again next time. But people shouldn't feel stressed about it.

On the table next to us there were 4 first time cruisers and they had got themselves really worked up both before and during the cruise about Dining room attire. They read the guidelines in the brochure about casual, smart casual and formal requirements and, since they were going on to a further week at a beach resort, decided they would do the WJ on formal nights to cut down on the packing. However, they did go to the expense of buying jackets for smart casual night and understandably were annoyed that no one else was wearing them! Even had a go at the Head Waiter! They never showed in the DR after that, it really seemed to have partly spoiled their cruise!

We dress formally on both nights and stay dressed for the whole evening. My husband always says I'm the most gorgeous one on the ship...beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.:D However, it defintely doesn't bother us if others don't dress formally.

I saw a post somewhere that suggested having a dining room just for all the formal dressers. Not a bad idea as then none of them would be offended if they had to look at, or worse yet, dine with someone who wasn't dressed formally.:)

It's pretty close to what I expected, but I thought there would be more who said they do not dress up and maybe a little less of those who say they dress up, but would rather not. This poll suggests that about 90% dress formally, but I think it tends to be a bit lower than that. Maybe it's just 90% of CC regulars. :)

Interesting.

I had thought kind of the opposite -- I thought that "enforce the code" would be much higher, based on the vociferousness with which that opinion is expressed here on CC.

Sounds like maybe casual dining is the wave of the future.

Interesting.

I had thought kind of the opposite -- I thought that "enforce the code" would be much higher, based on the vociferousness with which that opinion is expressed here on CC.

Sounds like maybe casual dining is the wave of the future.

Your right.

Look at how many more empty seats you see in the dining room on formal nights then other nights.

Also more and more cruises tend to be 3 and 4 nights which seem to be a little less formal.

Your right.

Look at how many more empty seats you see in the dining room on formal nights then other nights.

Also more and more cruises tend to be 3 and 4 nights which seem to be a little less formal.

Very true. I'll bet that within 10 years, formal night on the mass-market lines will be a thing of the past. Or maybe it will just be observed in the specialty restaurants. Those who love the formality of days gone by are probably better served by the smaller up-market lines anyway.

Do you own more than me? I think I am doing pretty good with about 30 pairs or so. I lost count. :eek: :D Pretty good for a guy, huh? Counts for almost half of my shoes. And yes, I have about 65 pairs of shoes. Shoes, Cruising and Hawaii! My weaknesses.

You win! :) As a stay at home mom, I have no need for that many shoes (although, I could easily attain that many if I allowed myself!!! LOL). Also, I have OCD and clean my closets several times a year & send everything to Goodwill. I probably have 15 to 20 pairs of flops right now - which is probably 14 to 19 too many.:rolleyes: BUT, they make me happy.:D

(PS Your weaknesses must cost you a small fortune! My weaknesses are my girls (do you know how beautiful girls' clothes can be?!), travelling, books and decorating. I think I need a job...)

You win! :) As a stay at home mom, I have no need for that many shoes (although, I could easily attain that many if I allowed myself!!! LOL). Also, I have OCD and clean my closets several times a year & send everything to Goodwill. I probably have 15 to 20 pairs of flops right now - which is probably 14 to 19 too many.:rolleyes: BUT, they make me happy.:D

(PS Your weaknesses must cost you a small fortune! My weaknesses are my girls (do you know how beautiful girls' clothes can be?!), travelling, books and decorating. I think I need a job...)

I don't have any kids, and only have a nephew. But I love shopping for him too. Boys clothes have gotten much better lately. Yes, my weaknesses cost me a small forture. But so worth it. If I can't spoil myself, who else can I spoil?

Archived