How do you really feel about Formal Night?

How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?  

905 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about dressing up for formal night?

• Hate it and wish they'd do away with it.
    • Don't dress up and it makes me feel a little out of place.
    • Don't dress up, but it doesn't bother me.
    • Dress up because I'm supposed to, but would rather not.
    • Enjoy dressing for it and don't care what others do.
    • Love it and wish everyone would dress up, but don't let it bother me.
    • Wish they would enforce the formal dress code.

I don't really mind dressing up. I have nowhere else to wear my cute cocktail dress. But I don't really like packing all the extra stuff. OK so it's just one extra pair of shoes for me and the dress doesn't take up too much space. But bringing a whole suit and another pair of shoes for DH takes a lot of space.

I am one of the few that don't like formal nights and feel out of the place on them. (Although I do enjoy people watching if I could be a fly on the wall in my capri's and t-shirt).

I travel with my dh and 2 teens and it is a struggle to come up with formal wear for the teen son who has no need for it in real life (or he grows so fast that it would only be used on the cruise).

We would never go to the dining room and insist on being seated on formal nights and prefer the casual dining anyway because we hate to be held to an assigned time for dinner since our activities change daily.

Worst experience was on Carib Princess when my family was the only family in the theater after formal night for a show dressed in casual shorts and tops.

Lisa

We've only been cruising since 1998, love it and think of it as a luxury vacation. If I had my way, every night would be semi-formal in the dining room. I'd love to see everyone dressed in cocktail dresses or pantsuits for the women, sports coats and ties for the men. This would free up the formal debate, plus make packing simpler without all the long gowns.

Perhaps it's a bit of nostalgia and old-fashioned, but I find the dining rooms and the service to be a more formal event than "casual", nicer clothes more fitting to the environment. I don't for a moment buy into the argument that casual clothes are more comfortable. If so, the person is buying the wrong size clothes!

While I try my best to not be judgmental or presume a person is one way or the other because of their wardrobe, it's lovely to see people cleaned up. Even the jeans issue would not be an issue at all if people wore nice jeans and a nice shirt. I've been on too many cruises and have seen too many people in sloppy jeans, T-shirts and sneakers to agree that jeans are OK for dinner. It's kind of too bad that society is accepting the lowering of standards in both dress and manners.

However, in my heart I also have to look at people with grace and manners and try to have some understanding that perhaps they cannot afford to buy nice clothing for the cruise. Uncle Charlie and Aunt Mable could have spent years saving for this vacation, it could be the only time in their life they are so far from home and it could be a dream come true. So, who am I to judge what others are wearing? I'd prefer to know the people in the clothes, many times they are absolutely wonderful and I would miss that if I had a presumption about them.

That said, could you please leave home the clothes you use for yardwork and cleaning out the garage? At least wear clean clothing?

I agree about formal cloths needing extra bags. If we didn't have a suit and a dressy dress we would not need the hanging bag we take with us.

I am really uncomfortable in formal cloths, panty hose and the one thing I hate the most is high heel shoes. I take the ones with the lowest heels I can get away with short of wearing flats. On one of the cruises I fell the day before formal night and still wore my dressy black dress and I was lucky enough to have a pair of black sneakers that I could wear with my dress. I don't know how many people thought I was an idiot but I thought it looked better being dressed up then not being dressed up on formal night. Plus I was limping so I guess they realized there was a reason for it. :o

"Tainted?" Do you really have nothing better to ponder during dinner than other people's clothes?

And the "other arrangements" usually means the buffet, which is of course, inferior. Second-class food for second-class folks eh?

Yes..."tainted"....we are talking about tradition..formal dining. I was applauding those who don't wish to participate and make other dining arrangements for that evening.

"Other arrangements" usually means one of the specialties or perhaps even room service.:)

Or some do enjoy the Windjammer.

I'm not sure why you would consider the food at the Windjammer as inferior? Do you use a different set of teeth for the main dining room?:confused:

Yes..."tainted"....we are talking about tradition..formal dining. I was applauding those who don't wish to participate and make other dining arrangements for that evening.

"Other arrangements" usually means one of the specialties or perhaps even room service.:)

Or some do enjoy the Windjammer.

I'm not sure why you would consider the food at the Windjammer as inferior? Do you use a different set of teeth for the main dining room?:confused:

My first cruises on RCI were 1990 & 1993. The next were '05, '06 and '07.

I can assure you "tradition" no longer exists. Just the way it is...:)

However, in my heart I also have to look at people with grace and manners and try to have some understanding that perhaps they cannot afford to buy nice clothing for the cruise. Uncle Charlie and Aunt Mable could have spent years saving for this vacation, it could be the only time in their life they are so far from home and it could be a dream come true. So, who am I to judge what others are wearing? I'd prefer to know the people in the clothes, many times they are absolutely wonderful and I would miss that if I had a presumption about them.

Thank you, that was beautifully put.

I was reading a thread just yesterday by a young woman; she and her DH have been given a cruise for their college graduation. She had been reading some of the dress code threads and picked up on the less-than-charitable attitude that a few people have about this issue. Being just out of college, they don't have money for formal clothes (her DH doesn't have a suit), and she was so upset that she was wondering if they should even go on the cruise at all, thinking they'd feel so out of place.

Fortunately, the responses were of the reassuring variety. But shame on some of you for making a young person like that wonder if she's welcome!

They serve many of the same foods in the buffet, but not all, especially on formal night. But even if they did, it's hardly the same dining experience. It is inferior.

We dress up because it's expected. When we travel with my father, sister and bro-in-law, we always eat in the dining room on formal nights. My bro-in-law loves escargot and my dad gets shrimp cocktail almost every night. My dad loves the formal nights.

When it's just me and my husband, we go to Portofino on formal nights. He doesn't have to wear a tie, and I don't have to get dressed formally. I wish I could talk the rest of the family into going to Chops or Portofino on those nights, but I think it's not going to happen. They do agree to go to the specialty restaurants, but just not on those nights.

When we were younger and had small children, it was fun to escape, dress in our finery and have romantic dinners just the two of us. This was our choice of course; many more nights were spent in family friendly places because that is what our kids wanted.

Skip ahead and it is just the two of us now. We enjoy dressing for dinner when we choose to dress, not when it is imposed on us. We have even more romantic dinners, but it doesn't matter what we are wearing. We are best friends who have been together forever so we can make romance out of absolutely nothing:) We have been together for so long that it is not a rare occasion that we dress and realize that we are wearing the same colours (the kids just laugh at us now:rolleyes: ) and there have also been times that I am wearing something dressier than DH, or vice versa, because that is what we feel like wearing.

I have posted this many times. I really don't care what you are wearing if you sit at my table as long as you treat us well. A person's attire will never prove their worth IMHO. We enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere on the Serenade in Feb. which is why we booked another RCI cruise in Feb. 2008.

To answer another question, whatever we dress in for dinner is what we wear the entire night. But that has more to do with not wanting to miss anything. After all how can you have all the fun that is available out there if you are always changing in your cabin?

Dee

My DW and I have just come back from our first cruise, on the Jewel. We are an ordinary couple who were celebrating their 30th anniversary in style. We decided to do the formal nights in full. I bought a tux especially for the cruise. Yes it might have been a worn once suit from E-Bay but it was the business. My wife who never usually goes for the glam as she is size conscious made a special effort and looked a dream. Everyone on our table of 10 made an effort as well and made it for us a wonderful occassion. In general I would say 90% also were formally dressed and this made for 3 really special evenings. Those who did not equally enjoyed themselves and no-one minded of course. It was that sort of ship. A great big happy family, my wife and I are proud to have been part of.

formal.jpg.cdd4acaa0100d43247e05fd880ac9837.jpg

cruise.jpg.cf040fea6426c0af2de476cd325963d5.jpg

This isn't entirely true. There are many times and places where more formal attire is not only appropriate, but expected, in Hawaii. You don't usually find Hawaii residents in the finer dining establishments or theaters or church weddings or etc. wearing shorts, t's, and flip flops. You do see visitors dressed that way because they assume that it's appropriate anywhere. There are any number of "levels" of less casual attire: formal attire Hawaiian style, formal attire "US" style, and semi-formal or resort casual attire. You see it in business, you see it at formal events, you see it at the finer establishments. My DH has mentioned more than once that he can often spot some visitors when we're dining at an upscale place or similar venue because they will be the ones in cutoffs, casual tank top, and flip flops.

beachchick

I am not saying you are wrong, but at least you have more options to wear whatever you want in Hawaii unlike a cruise ship. I have been going to Hawaii almost once a year for my entire life (36 now), and have never even packed long pants. (okay, maybe my parents packed me long pants when I was too young to pack for myself). But I tend to only go to places where shorts are the norm. Although I have been to every island (except Molokai) I usually only go to Maui. The nicest place I have eaten in Maui is Spago at the Four Seasons, which isn't saying much;) . Usually go to places like Hula Grill, Kimos or Mama's Fish House. I think you would look more out of place in long pants there. But the good part is that in Hawaii, no one really cares what you wear and no one looks at you funny. Well, I guess if I wore a tux to Mama's, they would probably look at me funny. lol.

My DW and I have just come back from our first cruise, on the Jewel. We are an ordinary couple who were celebrating their 30th anniversary in style. We decided to do the formal nights in full. I bought a tux especially for the cruise. Yes it might have been a worn once suit from E-Bay but it was the business. My wife who never usually goes for the glam as she is size conscious made a special effort and looked a dream. Everyone on our table of 10 made an effort as well and made it for us a wonderful occassion. In general I would say 90% also were formally dressed and this made for 3 really special evenings. Those who did not equally enjoyed themselves and no-one minded of course. It was that sort of ship. A great big happy family, my wife and I are proud to have been part of.

And you all look wonderful!:D I love that word "size conscious" Thank you.

They serve many of the same foods in the buffet, but not all, especially on formal night. But even if they did, it's hardly the same dining experience. It is inferior.

True...the Windjammer is informal.

If you don't wish to participate and dress for a formal evening in the main dining room Windjammer is one of the places that you can go and have dinner in casual dress.

You are correct that it isn't the same dining experience. That is why cruise ships have formal nights. It creates an elegant evening. Passengers dress for the occasion. Many of them dress not because they like to but in deference to the request of their host. That is called being considerate.:)

True...the Windjammer is informal.

If you don't wish to participate and dress for a formal evening in the main dining room Windjammer is one of the places that you can go and have dinner in casual dress.

You are correct that it isn't the same dining experience. That is why cruise ships have formal nights. It creates an elegant evening. Passengers dress for the occasion. Many of them dress not because they like to but in deference to the request of their host. That is called being considerate.:)

If your ship has them, or can also go to Portofino and/or Chops on formal night. Those restaurants do not have formal night, and are stated as being smart casual every night.

I haven't been yet (just 2 days to go to my first cruise) but I am so looking forward to formal night as an opportunity to get really dressed up.

I was worrid a few days ago that I was going to look overdressed in the long dresses I had packed, but since I expressed my concerns on another thread I am now much more confident and really excited about the experience. People were so kind and supportive, they put my mind at rest. Also when I mentioned my worries to hubby he said that he couldn't wait to see me all dressed up.:D

I'll let you know how I feel when I get back and then I can cast my vote.

Petra

During one Cruise, a family enters the dining room in shorts, during formal Night. They are stopped at the entrance but eventually let in. The man at our table came unglued. We noticed, but went about finishing our meal and forgetting the whole matter. Wasn't worth spending the evening fretting about it. Wasn't right but over & done with.

My husband also enjoys seeing me all dressed up, it seems so special when on a cruise.

I have posted this many times. I really don't care what you are wearing if you sit at my table as long as you treat us well. A person's attire will never prove their worth IMHO. We enjoyed the more relaxed atmosphere on the Serenade in Feb. which is why we booked another RCI cruise in Feb. 2008.

Dee

I so totally agree with you. I don't give two hoots what someone is wearing, as long as they are a pleasure to be around. That is what makes my dining experience enjoyable.

My husband bought a tux for a charity ball 3 years ago and wore it the next year for the same thing. This past year we were not invited back (a friend of friend thing). It is nice to have a place he can wear it and he looked soo sexy trying it on. (I will wear formal dresses almost anywear so I love it) Suzanne

Give me my wife in a great dress and me in my tux under a moonlit night at sea anytime. If that is "playing dress up" then call me a sixty year old child. And if I ever think I've outgrown the love of it, shoot me!
I hope in 20 years we are still as romantic as you two. Your wife and I are both so lucky;)

I absolutely adore formal night(s)! To me this is what separates a cruise from a land vacation.

While it doesn't ruin my evening if others don't at least make an extra effort to dress up, I wish the head waiters would be a little more aggressive in suggesting other venues for those who choose not to comply with the dress code.

Having said that, I agree with those who say that fun/interesting table mates trump dress any day of the week.

M.

Archived