Ladies Thong Bottom Bikini's....

And unless they bring a towel to sit on I sure as heck don't want to sit on any chair a thong has seen. Nothing like sharing butt crack dirt on a deck chair, pool bar stool or buffet chair.

Kitty what a horrible thought. Hopefully though they wipe when they poop and lets also hope it is not a bulimic who has taken laxatives-lol

Lets face it it is like those commericals that say you are not as clean as you think you are-none of us know what we are touching most of the time and I am sure it is tons worse then thong bikinis.

There was a tread on carnival once of folks claiming they had sex in the hot tubs late at night. That sure turned me off hot tubs.

As a guy sitting around the pool. let me just say that there is nothing finer than a good looking woman strutting around the pool in a thong bikini! If you have it show it ladies!

this past summer, a couple (well past 50ish, with gravity working overtime) were seen on the aft pool deck in alaska with matching thongs :eek: his didn't leave ANYTHING to the imagination (way more information than the PAX/crew needed) and hers was embarassing to all fellow ladies. Couldn't even look them in the eye when they were DRESSED.....the unavoidable vision of those thongs kept overriding. Thongs are great if you've got the body...but please look in the mirror first. ;)

anniecat

As someone who can NOT wear one, I will say this - thongs are for two types of people:

1. People who like to look at butts

2. People who like to have their butts looked at

I'm sure there are plenty of both types on your cruise ship. Except for maybe Disney. I would toe the line on Disney.

I don't know the proper ettiquite for cruises and have never been on one. I'm in the process of planning a trip for a bunch of girlfriends. Is going topless acceptable? I have no problem with nudity but I know that other people do and I don't want to offend anyone.

Thanks!

Julees

On our Barcelona cruise in 2003, RCCL stated that topless attire (is that an oxymoron or what) was allowed only on the uppermost deck (this was Splendour). Even though the girls are still perky, I wasn't about to do it, because that would also have left my stomach exposed :eek: and the world just doesn't need that. So I didn't go up there & can't tell you if anybody took advantage of it. But it was specifically allowed.

I have to say, I have a stomach ache from laughing at the responses to this thread! DH and I have ogling amnesty during a cruise - he can stare & so can I (ditto w/the Olympics, which are much more satisfying to the eyeballs)!

Oh my...Kitty..you are a riot!

I couldnt stop laughing at some of these posts!

IMHO...no matter how beautiful you may be, cruise ship pool areas are just too intimate for baring all. Be a peach, and keep em' for the beach!

For a touch of class...dont bare that ass!

No, thongs were not a "common site" on the 3 cruises I've been on (2 were Carnival, 1 Disney). Think I may have seen one. And I think if you really want to wear them, go right ahead, but you should go to the same area where topless bathing is allowed---up on the topmost deck. Then the rest of us don't have to witness your nudity and you can happily enjoy yourselves. Hey, they segregate smokers, why not thong-wearers?

And while some kids may see bodies exposed in the movies, many of us parents limit the movies our children are allowed to see----that is what the rating system is for! So my 7 year old who hangs out with me at the pool has not seen a PG movie w/nudity in it yet! And I don't think she needs to see it on a cruise ship. Same for my 10 yr old boy. JMHO here!

Hollyb: like your rhyming phrase posted at the end!

Please, a thong is not appropriate to wear in the family pools on cruise ships. My children are cruising with us and your argument about children seeing worse on TV doesn't work because we turn the channel when we see such things. As for toplessness, my husband and teenage daughters said they would leave a beach if they had to witness such immodest dress. Please think of someone besides yourself when you are in public and save that attire for private viewing. It shows maturity and courtesy to dress in a manner that will prevent others from becoming uncomfortable and embarrassed. Please use some judgement and discretion.

I don't think there is any call for such judgementalism. I'm not a naturist and wouldn't be comfortable in such a circumstance either, but it is inappropriate to impose my sensibilities on anyone else. Thongs and toplessness are appropriate wherever our hosts (the cruise lines) deem they are appropriate, without regard to anyone's specific children being present. Please use some judgement and discretion in what you post online.

"Thongs and toplessness are appropriate wherever our hosts (the cruise lines) deem they are appropriate"... well said... As the inititator of this thread, I was trying to phrase the correct reply to the previous couple of posts, but it was done very well by 'bicker' above.... if, as a 'naturist' myself, I can put up with the silly rules that require me to have clothing on to be out in the sun or in the water (yeah... THAT makes sense...)... then others should not object to the rules that allow us to not be completely swaddled head to toe either... :D

Topless is relagated to a very small area on one of the top decks near the funnel of the ship. You cannot go topless anywhere else, like near the pool.

I think that is only Carnival but BEWARE-there was a tread on carnival a few months ago of a jerk with binoculars- they could not figure out why unless he wanted to see all their freckles or something until they realized it was one of those' binocular' hidden camera thingies. when they realized they went to report him and the guy took off. Cameras are not allowed up there-it is posted-I guess now they will ban bincoluars there too.

Please, a thong is not appropriate to wear in the family pools on cruise ships. My children are cruising with us and your argument about children seeing worse on TV doesn't work because we turn the channel when we see such things. As for toplessness, my husband and teenage daughters said they would leave a beach if they had to witness such immodest dress. Please think of someone besides yourself when you are in public and save that attire for private viewing. It shows maturity and courtesy to dress in a manner that will prevent others from becoming uncomfortable and embarrassed. Please use some judgement and discretion.

Don't go to Martinique then. all beaches are topless and some are even nude. I would never do this myself-ofcourse now I am too old but even when I was younger and looked nice I was never comfortable-I did not like even skimpy bikinis even though at 25 I was very attractive in them. My daughter who is 20 feels the same. She like the tankinis-that is as skimpy as she will go.

Still though it does not bother me what others do. The only thing I cannot understand though is when someone does not look so good why they don't exercise the art of cameflouge?

The worse thing I SAW on the beach in Martinque was a woman- mid fifties-nice and slim-no more then a size 8 who looked great in a bikini at her age- who removed her top and her boobs were MAJOR GOING SOUTH -(normal for a woman her age) It was like WHY? I envied her a little until she did that.

Please.. Let us not disparage those who are comfortable with themselves and are able to enjoy the experiences of life without needing everyones' approval... Rather, let us appluaud them for having freed themsleves from having to meet the Madison Avenue false ideals...

For those who wish to, there are certainly any number of ways... diet / exercise / surgery... to alter their appearance.. to please themselves or others...

As a life long visitor to various 'naturist' locales, let me assure you that the majority of devotees are not about to win a spot in Playboy (or Playgirl)... but they are there to enjoy the outdoors in the most natural and innocent way... and should not be judged as less worthy of that enjoyment because they are 'imperfect'... they are there to enjoy themselves... not for your benefit...

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

~ Mark Twain

:)

Waterguy although I was never comfortable to be honest I do not even notice these things unless the person is not too "attractive" if you know what I mean. For example on the topless beach the only woman I noticed topless was the woman "going south" but hubby said he saw several younger women with "perky boobs" I did not even notice them. But like I said to him it figures he would see those girls being a man-I never even saw them.

I guess I keep repeating myself though don't I?

I was just letting the one post know who felt it was wrong because it went against her scruples and what she allowed her children to see- that I would never do that either but still I try not to concern myself with what others do.

She said she does not allow her kids to even see "PG" movies. I guess they never saw Titanic then and Kate Winslet in all her glory. That was a wonderful movie and I feel it foolish to ban children from seeing it, after all it was just one or 2 scenes. Hey even in "Gone With the Wind" Rhett pretty much raped Scarlett-much more offensive to me then Kate's boobs. Better to instill your scruples in your children and explain to them that not all share your morality and that they will see things from time to time.

Hey "Friends" is in reruns on TV in the afternoon now-and there is alot of explicit material on that show if no actual nudity-unless Mom is with her kids 24-7 those kids are going to see and hear things if not on TV- from school mates.

Bravo Waterguy - I think you were perfectly clear. I think its wonderful that people can be so comfortable in their skin and not worry about fitting the "model" of who's entitled to go bare.

Momofmeg- your right on too -I can respect the mother who wants to "protect" her children from seeing those things and that is her right as the parent. To your point, a real challenge in today's society. We all have our boundaries and are entitled to them (welcome to AMERICA). I'd hate to see us become a society of Berka's as we saw exhibited in Iraq because of one persons ideals. I think though we must all be tolerant of each others preferences and at least give the benefit of the doubt that the nature of people is not necessarily to be unkind or selfish, they are just expressing their rights to be free and comfortable with who they are.

That being said - my thong is staying home, no one deserves that punishment, but the top may be abandoned on the APPROPRIATE deck! (proud to say I don't need to worry about them going south!:D )

I was just letting the one post know who felt it was wrong because it went against her scruples and what she allowed her children to see- that I would never do that either but still I try not to concern myself with what others do.

She said she does not allow her kids to even see "PG" movies. I guess they never saw Titanic then and Kate Winslet in all her glory. That was a wonderful movie and I feel it foolish to ban children from seeing it, after all it was just one or 2 scenes. Hey even in "Gone With the Wind" Rhett pretty much raped Scarlett-much more offensive to me then Kate's boobs. Better to instill your scruples in your children and explain to them that not all share your morality and that they will see things from time to time.

Hey "Friends" is in reruns on TV in the afternoon now-and there is alot of explicit material on that show if no actual nudity-unless Mom is with her kids 24-7 those kids are going to see and hear things if not on TV- from school mates.

Not sure if I'm the poster being referred to, but in case I am, I'd like to clarify something. I was a bit brash in my 1st posting on this thread and I regret that---sorry. And Yes, I said my 7 year old doesn't see PG movies or movies with nudity in them at this time. I stand by that. She hasn't seen Titanic, and I see no reason for a 2nd grader, 7 year old to do so. I'm sure when she's a tad older, she'll wonder about that movie, but not at this time. :) She also hasn't seen "Gone with the Wind" or "Friends". Her tastes run to "Full House", "Lizzie McGuire", and "Sister, Sister" at this time. No reason I can think of to try to "hurry her along". She's delightful and fine just as she is. And I'm not trying to instill my judgement or scruples on anyone here on the boards---do what you enjoy and believe in, if you are not harming others in so doing.

Just wishing that people who choose to show more skin than a bathing suit "usually" allows would consider using the topless deck/area of the ship (of course I guess all lines may not have this option?:). But if not, I guess my daughter and I'll be having some discussions together. No problem, I've had them already with my 14 year old, and a bit with my 10 year old, so it's not like I'm a prude or unable to discuss such issues. Just wasn't in a hurry to do so with my 7 year old. Which is why we avoided the "clothing optional" beaches when we went to St. Maarten last July (when she was 6 years old:p ). Anyway, hope everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves! Happy Sails and Good Weather to all!

I don't think it is appropriate for you to be made to feel guilty or otherwise defensive for how you choose to bring up your children. That's clearly a parent's prerogative, and what you suggest is by no means outside any reasonable bounds. Furthermore, wishing is an unchallengeable activity, IMHO. Wishing things were a certain way shouldn't cause anyone concern -- only placing expectations on others and actions taken in that regard are relevant externally.

Let's solve this entire issue by designating the Carnival and Royal Carribean ships as R rated cruises and Disney and Norwegian as G rated cruises. So, if you want to bring the kids go on a G rated cruise! As an adult, I try to stay away from cruises that have a lot of kids anyway. Not that I don't like kids, but when I pay a lot of money to go on my annual vacation, I don't want to be on a floating playground.

Archived