Ladies Thong Bottom Bikini's....

I think, Mark, that parents would object to having their choices limited in that way, just as adults object to having their choices limited. I think the "solution to this entire issue" is to recognize that one's own personal beliefs and values don't prevail over others, and to accept that aboard a public accommodation such as a cruise ship you'll encounter people who are living in accordance with their own beliefs and values, not yours.

Not sure if I'm the poster being referred to, but in case I am, I'd like to clarify something. I was a bit brash in my 1st posting on this thread and I regret that---sorry. And Yes, I said my 7 year old doesn't see PG movies or movies with nudity in them at this time. I stand by that. She hasn't seen Titanic, and I see no reason for a 2nd grader, 7 year old to do so. I'm sure when she's a tad older, she'll wonder about that movie, but not at this time. :) She also hasn't seen "Gone with the Wind" or "Friends". Her tastes run to "Full House", "Lizzie McGuire", and "Sister, Sister" at this time. No reason I can think of to try to "hurry her along". She's delightful and fine just as she is. And I'm not trying to instill my judgement or scruples on anyone here on the boards---do what you enjoy and believe in, if you are not harming others in so doing.

Just wishing that people who choose to show more skin than a bathing suit "usually" allows would consider using the topless deck/area of the ship (of course I guess all lines may not have this option?:). But if not, I guess my daughter and I'll be having some discussions together. No problem, I've had them already with my 14 year old, and a bit with my 10 year old, so it's not like I'm a prude or unable to discuss such issues. Just wasn't in a hurry to do so with my 7 year old. Which is why we avoided the "clothing optional" beaches when we went to St. Maarten last July (when she was 6 years old:p ). Anyway, hope everyone has a good time and enjoys themselves! Happy Sails and Good Weather to all!

I did not mean to offend either. But where St. marten is half dutch and has clothing optionial beaches-Martinique is all French and there is no such thing.

You do sound like a wonderful mother and I do believe in instilling scruples in our children but just beware when my now 20 year old daughter was just 6 years old she came home from the next door neighbors saying the Mommy had sent another neighbor girl home because the girl had decided they should play "having sex with thier boyfriends" and the girls were kissing the posts on the front porch- their pretend "boyfriends".

Well I knew it was time to have a talk. I asked her did she know what having sex meant? She said "kissing" and with that answer I proceeded to explain what sex really was. That taught me a valuable lesson as parents- it is up to us to educate our kids to protect them. If we don't others will "educate them".

I too was very restrictive as to what I allowed my daughter to watch. Many a time I had turned off the Sat. morning cartoons because I felt there was questionable material. I also insisted my daughter could not see Jurrasic Park until she was over 12-(it came out when she was 10) as I felt the movie would give her nightmares. I, when young had nightmares from movies like "The Birds" so I wanted her to be mature enough that she could handle such things.

Still though I knew she would see and hear things when I was not around and so I knew it was up to me to educate her. In this world where children are having sex as young as 10 years old- that is very important. Some times if we are overprotective -when our kids are faced with such things they have no idea what to do-ignorance is not a protection.

I had to laugh at the post worried we would soon require people to wear berkas since I was asking people to use judgement and discretion in areas where families are present. Yes, I will teach my children my values. After all your informative post about the possible nudity or toplessness on beaches in the Caribbean, I was warning my kids and spouse to be prepared. That's when they informed me how uncomfortable that would make them and that they would want to leave. As a nurse I am rather used to seeing people without clothes, but I realize my family is different. I want them to enjoy their vacation as much as the 'naturalists' and just hope we each find a beach that caters to our own needs.

However, on a ship there are adult pools and pools that allow children. I still don't think it is appropriate to show 'breasts and buns' in family areas. You can berate me all day long for being judgemental, but I understood this is a forum to voice opinions and you got mine. Just don't think everyone shares the same view.

I agree with Kathy that people should dress themselves in an appropriate manner in specifically-designated family areas. However, at least on the ships I'll be on, none of the pools are designated as family areas. There are some parts of the ship that are clearly family areas (such as the "Adventure Ocean" program areas), but the rest of the ship is general-use.

I find that clothing comfort varies for me based on how much I weigh. When I was heavy, certain things were much more comfortable than they are now, while other things which were very uncomfortable then are more comfortable now.

So guys, what's the deal? For those who have been on the Caribbean Princess, is there a designated area for topless sunbathing or not???

Jen

None of the Princess ships we have ever been on have offered a topless sunbathing area, but if you check with the girls in the shows and in the spas, they will let you know which areas are "safer" to do so.

• 2 months later...

Thongs on a cruise ship... Hmmmm. Interesting question. I too wear a size 2 or 4, weigh in at 104. I have & can wear a thong, but they're not very comfortable in all honesty. Fewer tan lines, but tanning oil works faster.

Haven't tried that act on a cruise ship, but hey.... if you have the guts & looks, I say go for it. I did wear my string bikini a few times on board & even that raised some eyebrows.

I'm a pretty outrageous individual, but tend to be more conservative on cruise ships. It probably makes a difference which ship you're on. Carnival might be okay for a thong, but I'd have to think twice on the higher end ships.

I'm sure all the guys reading this board are silently grinning & disagreeing... !

Ingrid

I have seen a couple thongs on Royal Carribean. The women had non-US accents and shapely buttocks. I was not offended. I think I saw notice of some rule, possibly on their website, that disallows topless sunbathing except on cruises that originate in Europe.

Now, OTOH, I do not want to see guys in Speedos, regardless of their weight or age. Double standard, I know, but it grosses me out. I would rather see thongs on women banned than Speedos on men allowed.

We were on the Miracle in October and saw no thongs.

If the guys look like Michael Phelps in a Speedo, ok. ;)

I have seen a couple thongs on Royal Carribean. The women had non-US accents and shapely buttocks. I was not offended. I think I saw notice of some rule, possibly on their website, that disallows topless sunbathing except on cruises that originate in Europe.

Now, OTOH, I do not want to see guys in Speedos, regardless of their weight or age. Double standard, I know, but it grosses me out. I would rather see thongs on women banned than Speedos on men allowed.

• 2 weeks later...
And unless they bring a towel to sit on I sure as heck don't want to sit on any chair a thong has seen. Nothing like sharing butt crack dirt on a deck chair, pool bar stool or buffet chair.

LOL! Kitty, you just gave me the ammo I need to ensure that no one steals my chair when I get up....butt crack dirt. I'll be sure not to shave either!!

The one post had a good point. You don't have to be over weight or under weight-just have some surgery scars or whatever.

Last year I saw this woman who had tanned so much her skin was leathery and she looked like a prune. I had no idea her age. I am guessing somewhere between fifty and eighty. She was slim-a nice size- no tummy so I am guessing she was not as old as she looked- but she sure did not look good in that bikini with her leathery prune skin. I realize even a one peice would not had helped her much but still it would have been an improvement.

The Sun God accepts His sacrifice from the sun-worshipper.

[quote name=BamaVol

Now, OTOH, I do not want to see guys in Speedos, regardless of their weight or age. Double standard, I know, but it grosses me out. I would rather see thongs on women banned than Speedos on men allowed.[/quote]

I have posted this on the fashion felony 101 thread. Back in Sept. on the Disney Wonder was an older guy (late 50's early 60's) in a swim suit that was too small for the major, waiting for a heart attack, beer belly he had. It would only come up to under his belly so on the back side was like 6 inches of butt crack showing. Speedos would have been an improvement I do believe.

I tend not to notice how skimpy people are dressed unless they are overweight or have surgery scars or something else umpleasant. If it is a big person in a modest swimsuit I don't notice much either-only if it is too small for them or skimpy.

To the Mom who posted certain things are not proper where children are present I can't help but "wonder" how she would have felt if she had been on the Disney Wonder with half of it's passengers under the age of 15 who were exposed to the overweight man in the too small swim trunks.

• 2 months later...

Archived