air fare

Louise45

what has got into the prices of airline tickets lately? I can't believe how much they have went up since we made our plans in Febuary. I've been looking to make plans for another cruise, but with the big increase in flying, it will be hard. we'll have to end up driving to Florida instead. We live in N.C.

what has got into the prices of airline tickets lately? I can't believe how much they have went up since we made our plans in Febuary. I've been looking to make plans for another cruise, but with the big increase in flying, it will be hard. we'll have to end up driving to Florida instead. We live in N.C.

I know what you mean. My DH was hesitant to book the airfare in February for our November cruise (I even was reprimanded on another message board for booking so far ahead). Now he is so thankful I convinced him it was a good idea-- the airfare has doubled for the same exact flight... we wouldn't be able to afford this vacation if we still had to buy tickets!

I agree. We're looking at anywhere from $350-$450 from Philadelphia to Miami (even Ft. Lauderdale) for our March 15th Freedom cruise. OUCH!! That's really gonna hurt. I could take a 3rd person on the cruise with us for that price. Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Southwest just a soon as they release their fares. We're heading down the day before and staying at the Holiday Inn at the Port because we wanted to walk to Bayside Marketplace.

who are you buying the tickets from? that's sounds better than I've been looking at.

San Francisco (SFO)

to San Juan (SJU)

New Price: $217

Travelocity

Also if you book directly with the airlines and there is a price drop, most will honor it or give you flight credit but like Carnival, you have to call them on it.

There is also a website (can't think of the name right now) if you register your flight with them and there is a price drop, you will get an e-mail letting you know. so you don't have to keep checking for price drops.

Try kayak.com! It's not a TA, so it should be permitted to be posted here!:rolleyes: It is more of a 'search', then they redirect you to the company with the best price, that you select! :) I use them exclusively..:D

Are you nearby another other airports? If you are on a poorly travelled route where only one airline flies in, you won't find as good of deals. Try routes where (depending on your part of the country) Southwest, Frontier, Jetblue, or AirTran fly. The majors have to stay somewhat competitive in those markets and they will generally be lower than a flight into West Po-Dunk that is only serviced by United Express or something. Thanks to the ignorant leisure traveller it has come down to these bidding wars, and people stuck in poorly-serviced city pairs are picking up the slack.

I switched our cruise in January from Ft Lauderdale to Jacksonville b/c we can drive there in a day from Maryland. If a good airfare comes up then we will take it. We will more than likely leave the day before and spend the nite somewhere in SC. I prefer that actually since January weather is unpredictable to say the least.

Take care,

sandi

Prices change by the hour... We usualy book on Contintel's web page. When I'm ready to book I usually check it everyday for about a week, one day I checked around 12pm and a roundtrip flight from CLE to FLL was $177 so I was going to book as soon as I got home from work. When i got home it had went up to $295. I finally booked the next day for $202.

Try kayak.com! It's not a TA, so it should be permitted to be posted here!:rolleyes: It is more of a 'search', then they redirect you to the company with the best price, that you select! :) I use them exclusively..:D

I was going to suggest kayak.com as well.

I don't know where in NC you are, but you can always look at driving to another airport. I'm close to Atlanta now, but recently moved from Greenville SC. When we would look for airfare, we'd look at Greenville, Atlanta and Charlotte. Atlanta and Charlotte were both about 2 1/2 hours for us, but sometimes the savings were well worth it.

Flights for March from Philly to Miami are rediculous. I think it is just too far out to get good pricing. I'm hoping that when SW and AirTran open those dates the major carriers will drop. Spirit from AC is even higher than Philly. We have cruise booked but if airfares don't change our plans might. Can't drive because we have yo be back at work the day after our cruise.

Archived