Choosing a table size

Cerinda

When your family cruises, do you ask for a table just large enough for yourselves?

Posters on another board told me I'd be selfish to expect anyone to enjoy being forced to sit with us, something about setting a land speed record dashing to the maitre d' to request different seating.

If you had a family of five (parents 40s, children 17, 15, 8), and were sailing on HAL's Oosterdam on spring break (shouldn't there be plenty of young people about then?), what would you do?

I always ask for a large table for my husband and myself. If I was seated with a large family and we were the only people not part of thatg group I would wait and see. If we felt included and had a good time we would stay, if we felt left out or the kids acted out of control (like mine : ) I would run, not walk, to the Maitre'd.

Nancy

First off, I would suggest that you ask for the table size that you and your family want. If you want the opportunity to make new friends over the course of the cruise go for a large table. If you want to have just family dinners together, a table for six. I would not make plans based on what others (outside of the family) may or may not like but, on the desires of your family.

I would not expect everyone to enjoy the company of me or my family. I do not expect to enjoy the company of everyone else in the world. Yes, if we were seated with someone who we did not find tolerable, (not limited to unruly children) we would ask for a table change.

I agree with 98Charlie, but would go even further and ask yourself: if you were seated at a table of 8 or 10, with 6 being your family and one or two other couples who were strangers, would you truly actively include the couple(s) in the conversation?

I think MY answer would be "no". We are going on a Thanksgiving cruise this year (me, husband, 2 year old daughter) with another family (wife, husband, 18 mo. old son), we are good friends, and I have a feeling that we would have a tendancy to only talk to each other, so unless the other family wants a bigger table, we'll ask for a table for 6 to avoid this issue.

It's not that I think that our children will be disruptive, but I've been on the other side of the "one family = bulk of the table" scenario, and have felt like an outsider (not that I blame that family, because I believe I'd do the same thing).

An additional thought: If you decide on a large table, check in with the Maitre de' ASAP upon boarding. If you are at an 8 or 10, let him know the ages of your children and that you would be interested in sitting with a similar family. Downside: Their kids could be heathens :eek:

It certainly is an opportunity to have your children learn to interact with other adults. Let the kids know up front what your expectations are.

Whatever you decide. have a great cruise :)

We typically just ask for a "small" table (our TA asks if we want a table for 8, a table for 12 or a "special request") and then wait to see what we end up with. On our last cruise, even though I'd requested a table for 4, knowing they had them on Voyager of the Seas, we ended up at a table for 9 (yes, an odd number - they just added another placesetting to accomodate an extra guest). No one freaked when they saw my family of 4 walk up - complete with two children - and they also complemented us several times on the behavior of our kids. It was nice of them to do so, but honestly my husband and I insist that our kids behave, period.

This time, we are traveling with other family members and have requested that we all be placed at a table for 8, and we'll take up the entire table. I sincerely hope the cruiseline accomodates us and is able to place us all at the same table without extra passengers - we're a loud group by nature! :)

When our two children cruise with my wife and myself we would request a table for eight so that we would have the opportunity to meet others on the cruise. Most times, we were assigned to a table with another family and many times the children were of similar ages to our children. However, sometimes, this was not the case. If you want to play it safe, then just ask for a table for your family but if you want to take the chance and meet others then ask for a larger table. By and large we have always been pleased with our tablemates. Of course, if we were assigned to a table and quickly realized that we did not enjoy our tablemates, we would quickly ask to be moved to another table.

Keith

• 2 months later...

We are a family of 4 and I asked for a table for 4 ONLY (two kids under age 11), but when my invoice came from my TA it stated on there that I requested a table for 8 (I didnt). When I called my TA to get it changed to 4, she said that it doesnt matter what is on the invoice b/c they will just put us where they want anyway and that we can change it once we are on the ship (which I knew from past experience, but didnt want to go through the hassle again). Does anyone know? Should my TA be able to put this request in for me???

I would do two things. First, ask your TA to followup with the cruise line to ask that they get you a table of four. You should expect the TA to do this for you. Usually on the day embark the ship the restaurant Maitre De is available so that you can see the location of your table. I would stop by there to verify your location and table size and if it is not the table size that you want, I would ask to be moved.

Keith

In 7 cruises we have never not even once gotten the table size we requested. I always request to be at the largest table there is, and always get a table for 4 or 5 depending on wether or not my mother sails with us. I also request the late seating. More often than not my kids ages 6 and 10 eat early and go to kids activities at 7pm. They simply do not have the patience to sit through a long drawn out dinner 7 nights in a row. Then we eat late at around 8:30. Sometimes the kids come to formal night but not always, on these nights they like to eat with the camp.

On our last cruise it was myself, DH and DS and we were seated with a man cruising with his two children that were my son's age. We think the Matire'D was very smart and thoughtful for doing this. My son met two other kids the first night to hang out with for the week.

Archived