Cancel Cruise At Last Minute - No Insurance

luv2cruiseny

No, I totally was speaking to the cancellation policy. I truly believe there are no exceptions. I know all too well how cancer affects a family. We lost a 16-year old daughter to Adrenocortical carcinoma in 2004. Guess I am sort of numb to the emotional aspect of it.

I also thought if you did not buy insurance you were out of luck. Otherwise a lot of people would not purchase the insurance (policys can run over $1,000 for two npersons depending on the cost) if the cruise line would give credit to cancel for a medical reason. Also the OP is not the one who is sick (and it's not a even a family member) although what a great friend!

That is great that Carnival (and Princess) allow a $50 name change. HAL would consider this a full cancellation, although with their insurance you could cancel the day before and get 90% back on your credit card.

I am so sorry to hear about your 16 year old. That is devastating.

luv2cruiseny my prayers are with you both. I would advocate proceeding with treatment as soon as possible. Definately consult with her surgeon/oncologist about this and perhaps obtain second opinions if possible. I really think that when it comes to cancer, early diagnosis and treatment is key. :o

kaseykahnefan I would think that the military person would have to be there, however make sure to ask (and ask more than 1 person if the answer is no to double check). We were initially asked for my husband's DD214 to book the cruise under the special rate, however it was never an issue afterwards. Good luck!

Two years ago we were smacked hard by Hurricane Rita and had to cancel our (uninsured) cruise on the Zuiderdam about 4 weeks prior to the sailing in order to stay home and make repairs. This was to have been my 60th birthday celebration. Our travel agent was very helpful in working with HAL and as a result we were given 1/2 as a refund and 1/2 as a future cruise credit to be used within a year. We celebrated my 61st birthday a year later in a suite!!

Since HAL and Carnival are part of the same company, perhaps you can work out a similar deal. I can certainly understnd that you would not want to take someone other than your dear friend along. I hope you get to do the cruise as planned with your friend very soon!!

BTW, we now buy insurance !!

First I am sorry to hear about your friend.. Maybe I am wrong but my pvp told me that you can purchase the insurance up until the day before you leave, so if this is actually what I got out of what she was saying why dont you purchase the insurance and then cancel or reschedule.. Or I agree with the others are you not wanting to go either if so can u find someone else to go with and pay to have the documents changed?

PS) Again I am a first time cruiser and I was very excited when I made the arrangments so I really may have gotten what she was saying all mixed up BUT I could swear thats what she said cause i did not purchase then either cause i wanted to look around for options but I am going back to purchase if not thru carnival thru someone..

We had planned a cruise with my daughter this last feb. 1 month before the crusie she was diagnoised with hodgkins Disease. She is 22 years old and insisted on going but we cancelled due to chemo starting in Feb.

Carnival was nice enough to credit our cruise for a differnet date. We wrote a letter to Carnival and had the Carnival TA take care of it also.

We had no insurance, the only time we never purchased it.

We just got back from the long awaited cruise last week on the Pride, after her chemo and radiation treatments. I glad we waited, because so many emergencies can happen with chemo.

Take Care and my prayers are with you.

First I am sorry to hear about your friend.. Maybe I am wrong but my pvp told me that you can purchase the insurance up until the day before you leave, so if this is actually what I got out of what she was saying why dont you purchase the insurance and then cancel or reschedule.. Or I agree with the others are you not wanting to go either if so can u find someone else to go with and pay to have the documents changed?

PS) Again I am a first time cruiser and I was very excited when I made the arrangments so I really may have gotten what she was saying all mixed up BUT I could swear thats what she said cause i did not purchase then either cause i wanted to look around for options but I am going back to purchase if not thru carnival thru someone..

I never purchase the insurance thru carnival - I'm not sure of thier policies but from all of the other ones - even if we had purchased the insurance the day she found out - it would not cover our cancellation as they all (or most that I found) have a pre-existing condition clause in them.

It's our yearly vacation - we started this 4 years ago as we do not see each other much during the course of the year and it's our opportunity to get away and spend a girls week together. She does not have any family where she lives and no one to stay with her during her recuperation - so I would be going to help her for at least the first week home from the hospital.

We had planned a cruise with my daughter this last feb. 1 month before the crusie she was diagnoised with hodgkins Disease. She is 22 years old and insisted on going but we cancelled due to chemo starting in Feb.

Carnival was nice enough to credit our cruise for a differnet date. We wrote a letter to Carnival and had the Carnival TA take care of it also.

We had no insurance, the only time we never purchased it.

We just got back from the long awaited cruise last week on the Pride, after her chemo and radiation treatments. I glad we waited, because so many emergencies can happen with chemo.

Take Care and my prayers are with you.

Thank you for the information. I hope all is well with your daughter and her road to recovery. She will be in my prayers.

Two things:

1) even with the new diagnosis, your mate should still be able to arrange medical care in order to go - cancelling is not mandatory

2) if you do choose to cancel, you should expect to lose the entire fare, with no credit or anything else - I can't imagine why you would think you could possibly circumvent the policy.

In summary, go on the cruise, or let the money go.

Edit

I never purchase the insurance thru carnival - I'm not sure of thier policies but from all of the other ones - even if we had purchased the insurance the day she found out - it would not cover our cancellation as they all (or most that I found) have a pre-existing condition clause in them.

It's our yearly vacation - we started this 4 years ago as we do not see each other much during the course of the year and it's our opportunity to get away and spend a girls week together. She does not have any family where she lives and no one to stay with her during her recuperation - so I would be going to help her for at least the first week home from the hospital.

I understand.. I am truly sorry to hear about your friend again, and I understand not wanting to leave and leave your friend behind while you are on a vacation, especially if this is something that you started togeter.. I am sure if they want to that the TA can do something or make some kind of arrangments if not search around there is a possibility of knowing someone who will possibly like to purchase the cruise from you and your friend and go in your place, they will just have to have the info changed and just deduct that money from the price you charge them you may loose a little money but its an option. Or send letters or if you have a really good TA it seems they can at least try to reschedule and credit towards another date.

Hope all works out..

As a cruiser for many years I have seen quite a few serious unexpected horrible experiences come up and our hearts go out to all. We have been there with Mom having several stokes just before cruise. Uncle was air lifted off ship with mininguistas(sorry about spelling0. The bottom line is that the cruise lines sell insurance,hundreds of thousands buy it , and thousands don't. Every circumstane that comes up is a serious,life threating experience,horrible injury to cruiser, or immediate family,child or parents sick or have severe medical condition. Everyone feels the pain that those who suffer but we must put our selves in the cruise line, or independent company or underwritter position.

I have bought the insurance on 26 cruises and did not purchase it on one. If the line would have told me that I could have got a credit for a future cruise or rebook to another date I probably would not have made the purchase. I was told by a celebity official that they have appx 9 percent that have a problem occur that they would rather not sail or cannot sail and plead with the lines for a refund . When asked why they did not purchase the insurance most say they didnot expect anything like what happen would happen to them. Well thats insurance for the wors't case senerio. It's like not having medical insurance , as im not expecting to get sickor have a operation, . Many say that I have wasted much money in the last 18 years . You be the judge. My sincere best goes out to all and if nothing else happens with this post I hope future cruises will take notice and BUY THE INSURANCE. Bob & Nancy The Villages Florida

First- My thoughts and prayers are with you: luv2cruiseny, saltydingo, irskill, and others who are dealing with / have dealt with this LIFE CHANGING event. May God bless and keep all of us.

Second- Good time to ask ourselves WHEN was the last time YOU had a check up? The good news is that advances in medicine have made cancer a fight you can win- but you gotta get in the game early. Just ask fllady61 and cruzn buckeye (and millions of the rest of us).

Take care of YOURSELF and also use the Buddy system- remind your friends and loved ones- Beg, nag or whatever it takes to get that check up. As a card carrying member of the macho-male guy club I went many long years without a thought to this despite having lost my Mother to breast cancer and a very dear Sister in Law today is fighting a very courageous battle. At the insistance (quiet discussion- not the N word) of my better half I got a check up including colonoscopy (silly jokes with the doctor about going where no man has gone before) the whole check up thing left me apprehensive for several days until all my test results were in (add Thank you Lord for my good health to my already long list of blessings I have).

Speaking of blessings- Friends rank high up there with spouse and family as one of the great blessings in life; don't know who I am plagiarizing but the quote goes something like "everyone needs a friend who knew me when..."

luv2cruiseny I see your friend goes back 30 years - WOW how time flies - you too have much to be thankful for.

Sorry for the long ramblings but after reading through all your posts I see a wonderful group of people here- had to say something. I am going off line now- and call an old Navy buddy and let him know I am thinking of him tonight- catch up on our lives after 33 years - grandchildren stories I am sure- probably gonna ask him if he has had a check up since our Navy discharge physical. Take care and God Bless you all. Roger K.

Archived