Cancel Cruise At Last Minute - No Insurance

luv2cruiseny

You are such a great friend. I will be adding your issue to the prayer request list at church tomorrow. God knows the details. I do hope you all can get a credit. A friend could not go on a cruise due to her son being in a very severe auto accident last year. She did not have insurance (like you all, she always had purchased it before and actually thought she had that time). She was not on Carnival but the other cruise line did give her a credit for another cruise within the year. Things worked out good for her. The young man went on that rescheduled cruise with his Mother, Dad and younger brother. The family had reason to celebrate life. I am praying you 2 will have future cruises together and make many more memories together.

luv2cruiseNY... please keep us informed. I hope everything works out for you and your friend. With all the bad stuff going on in her life she is blessed to have you for a friend.

cruzn buckeye.. best of luck with your recovery. It really sounds like you have been through a tough time. My son was very sick as a teenager and I too found out that there are some pretty kind folks in the word.

cathyoo...thank you so much

luv2cruiseny ...please keep us informed...I hope your friend will be able to go ... it will be good for her.And you too.

cruzn

A couple of years ago I ended up in the ER. After several tests I was told I had a brain tumor the size of a flat orange. We had paid in full for our cruise on the Miracle which was to leave in 59 days. Not only did that mean we didn't get our final payment in on time it also meant that we would lose $600 deposit. I called Carnival to cancel because we had a cabin that I knew someone else would want. A supervisor came to the phone and told me that they were going to send me a $600 credit for a future cruise.

I also had airfare booked with Delta. I called them to cancel my booking and to find out how to apply my $100 change fee to a future flight.This is what really surprised me. I told them my situation and the lady that I spoke with said she wanted me to speak with someone else. The lady that I spoke with said they were giving me vouchers for the complete cost of both of our tickets! That was a shock, I did not think that the airlines would do that. I do buy the insurance now. I have since had three more surgeries. One more brain tumor and then partial removal of infected skull. As a matter of fact, I just got home yesterday, they replaced my skull with bonesourse!

Point is buy the insurance, but in answer to the ops question, sometimes there are a lot of caring people out there. Call CCL. And prayers are with your friend...and you.

Good luck on your recovery-you have really been through a lot. I'm a native Buckeye-originally from Youngstown.

Two things:

1) even with the new diagnosis, your mate should still be able to arrange medical care in order to go - cancelling is not mandatory

2) if you do choose to cancel, you should expect to lose the entire fare, with no credit or anything else - I can't imagine why you would think you could possibly circumvent the policy.

In summary, go on the cruise, or let the money go.

I am sorry, but I find this response to be totally cold and unappreciated. I truly hope that nothing like this ever happens to you or one of your loved ones. I doubt you would have the emotional capacity to deal with such shock or complicated issue.

As for the OP, I am so sorry you and your friend are having to deal with this. I, too, pray that everything turns out well for your friend and that she is able to get through this with tons of love and support, that she obviously has in you. What a good friend you are.

If you aren't able to go on the cruise, I hope that CCL does do something for you due to these circumstances.

I am sorry, but I find this response to be totally cold and unappreciated. I truly hope that nothing like this ever happens to you or one of your loved ones. I doubt you would have the emotional capacity to deal with such shock or complicated issue.

As for the OP, I am so sorry you and your friend are having to deal with this. I, too, pray that everything turns out well for your friend and that she is able to get through this with tons of love and support, that she obviously has in you. What a good friend you are.

If you aren't able to go on the cruise, I hope that CCL does do something for you due to these circumstances.

Originally Posted by salty dingo

Two things:

1) even with the new diagnosis, your mate should still be able to arrange medical care in order to go - cancelling is not mandatory

2) if you do choose to cancel, you should expect to lose the entire fare, with no credit or anything else - I can't imagine why you would think you could possibly circumvent the policy.

I too found salty dingo's response cold and unappreciated. The OP was asking for advice not criticism.......

To the OP......please know my thoughts and prayers are with your friend and you too. My Nephew was diagnosed with Colon Cancer and is not doing well at all..had he gone and had a check up sooner he wouldn't be suffering like he is now..

Bless you and your friend!

God will work things out for all those with friends, lovedones, or even yourselves who have cancer. Trust that He will be there. I know from experiece that sometimes it is hard to have this trust. But HE will make it ok. For your Nephew, neverpar, I pray that he finds something to help him through this a little easier, and that he will be touched by God for a healing.

Whatever your decision about the cruise, I pray that it works out good. I am hoping tha you do not have to cancel, and you and your friend can go and relax before the surgery.

Okay I am in a similar situation. We are fifty days out from our cruise. I have a very close family member who has been diagonsed with untreatable cancer. He has been given six weeks. Bottom lines is my parents are not going to be able to come. They have to stay here and be with my family member. So my question is can we transfer the cruise to someone else if someone will go in their place. If not can they at least get their deposit back? Is it too late to get insurance. I called carnival and they said we could still buy the insurance but will it still cover this?

thanks,

Okay I am in a similar situation. We are fifty days out from our cruise. I have a very close family member who has been diagonsed with untreatable cancer. He has been given six weeks. Bottom lines is my parents are not going to be able to come. They have to stay here and be with my family member. So my question is can we transfer the cruise to someone else if someone will go in their place. If not can they at least get their deposit back? Is it too late to get insurance. I called carnival and they said we could still buy the insurance but will it still cover this?

thanks,

If you buy the insurance from CCL now it will not cover it. You can however change the booking to someone else, I think it costs $50.00 for a name change

Two things:

Salty;

Ouch!! Did you really mean for this to be so cold and uncaring?

Will be praying for a quick recovery and many more wonderful shared cruises with your friend.

If your friend decides not to continue with the cruise plans, you might be able to ask very nicely if you can get a credit for a future cruise.

We did cruise with a couple who were in this situation, she was recovering and had a great prognosis. They didn't purchase insurance for the original cruise date and very much appreciated Carnival's offer of a credit.

In the end I hope things go well for your friend. Added to my prayer list.

Payd:)

Two things:

You are a medical miracle. How do you stay alive with no heart?

Salty;

Ouch!! Did you really mean for this to be so cold and uncaring?

No, I totally was speaking to the cancellation policy. I truly believe there are no exceptions. I know all too well how cancer affects a family. We lost a 16-year old daughter to Adrenocortical carcinoma in 2004. Guess I am sort of numb to the emotional aspect of it.

No, I totally was speaking to the cancellation policy. I truly believe there are no exceptions. I know all too well how cancer affects a family. We lost a 16-year old daughter to Adrenocortical carcinoma in 2004. Guess I am sort of numb to the emotional aspect of it.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

Okay what about this? when we booked it we got the military discount b/c my dad was going. will we be able to keep the discount b/c we are already completely paid and pay the $50.00 for the name change.

Possible but doubtful. Did you book with CCL ? If so, give them a call and explain the situation. They care about their customers. It won't hurt to ask, right?

Two things:

Wow Salty Dingo, where were you when they passed out the hearts?

Wow Salty Dingo, where were you when they passed out the hearts?

I think this issue was already addressed.

Please don't blast me because we were foolish not to take out insurance. We have done it on all previous cruises (and thankfully didn't need it). Unfortunately, we had brain freeze and failed to do it on this cruise. Suppose to be leaving in 23 days and my cruise mate was diagnosed with colon cancer yesterday.

I called my PVP and explained the situation and she advised that she would provide me with a name and address to send a letter to with supporting documents and possibly (just possibly) we might be able to get a credit for a future cruise.

Has anyone had any experience with this and what was the results.

I can't give you any advice on the cruise but you will be in my prayers. I lost my mother to colon cancer and know what it can do to a person. May God bless you and your friend.

Archived