Cancel Cruise At Last Minute - No Insurance

luv2cruiseny

Please don't blast me because we were foolish not to take out insurance. We have done it on all previous cruises (and thankfully didn't need it). Unfortunately, we had brain freeze and failed to do it on this cruise. Suppose to be leaving in 23 days and my cruise mate was diagnosed with colon cancer yesterday.

I called my PVP and explained the situation and she advised that she would provide me with a name and address to send a letter to with supporting documents and possibly (just possibly) we might be able to get a credit for a future cruise.

Has anyone had any experience with this and what was the results.

Why cant your mate go with colon cancer? Can he skip treatments for a week. Im just asking because I dont know whats involved. Others do cruise with cancer.

My Dad is seriously ill and Im going and crossing my fingers they can do a cab for a week so I can get away. Is it possible someone else can go in his place and pay the $50 name change.

First I send you positive prayers, from experience I can say colon cancer is one of the most treatable cancers if caught early which I hope is the case in your situation.

I haven't had to cancel a cruise so can't help with accurate information. I wish you luck, perhaps you can reschedule and transfer the payment to another cruise when things are more settled.

My heart goes out to you. My DH is battling cancer right now. We are going the Miracle OCt 10th. It will be on his off week from chemo. We spoke to Dr. regarding cancelling and the DR. was against it. He said that the cruise would do him good. Relaxing, good food, good company, and most of all a chance to be "normal" for a little while and not think about the fight. What ever you choose to do I am sure will be the best thing for you and your cruise mate.

As far as your question, I have read on this board that Carnival has been very helpful to people in your situation. Hopefully a more experienced cc'er will come on with a link or something for you.

Has anyone had any experience with this and what was the results.

Yes, I have, and the result was exactly what your PVP described. It was not with Carnival, though.

Only your cruise mate and the oncologist should be involved with making the decision (you, too, of course in regard to your sailing). Only they will be able to determine if current mood and upcoming treatment will allow a patient to enjoy a cruise-type vacation. For some people, that initial chemo treatment schedule is the worst of the entire regimen. Hopefully CCL will look at the cabin inventory of your sailing and determine that they would be able to do an easy re-sell. That would greatly increase your chances of being able to put this off for a while, and have the patient concentrate on more important things.

My best wishes to your cruise mate, as well as you. Multiple disappointments have come your way, and with some luck (and quick action on your part) the cruise part might just become a non-issue for right now. Take care!!

Only your cruise mate and the oncologist should be involved with making the decision (you, too, of course in regard to your sailing). Only they will be able to determine if current mood and upcoming treatment will allow a patient to enjoy a cruise-type vacation. For some people, that initial chemo treatment schedule is the worst of the entire regimen.

You are absolutely right.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was advocating anything else. I was just relaying our particular circumstance. I hope the OP and his/her cruise mate get the answer they are looking for whatever it is.

You may have better luck than I did since you are a little further out. Several years ago we had to cancel 5 days out when my son was severely burned. We had signed letters from the hospital, Dr. and plastic surgeon all stating that we could not leave his side. It was a total loss. I now remember to buy insurance for every vacation we take, cruise or not.

Good luck with this and I hope all ends well.

thank you all for the info. We have been friends for over 30 years - and live in 2 different cities 900 miles apart. She has had a bit of tough year and is also going through a divorce. We are like sisters. The reason for cancelling is that they are going to perform surgery the week of the 15th and she will not be able to travel. We booked this cruise in January and it would be our 4th one (the only one we didn't do insurance for). We both looked forward to it and talked about it all the time. As much as I would like to go on the cruise - I will be going to her city to stay with her and help her when she returns home from the hospital. I'll keep my fingers crossed that carnival will have some mercy on us and let us use a credit for a future cruise.

No blasting here. I am so sorry about your best friend, she is so lucky to have you with her. I pray that she gets through this surgery and her treatments as easily as she possibly can. I hope it works out for you and that you can be compensated some what. Has your friend thought of postponing her surgery to the following week? Would a week make a difference? I think it would be such a good idea for her to do this one thing with you, just the two of you spending time together.

thank you all for the info. We have been friends for over 30 years - and live in 2 different cities 900 miles apart. She has had a bit of tough year and is also going through a divorce. We are like sisters. The reason for cancelling is that they are going to perform surgery the week of the 15th and she will not be able to travel. We booked this cruise in January and it would be our 4th one (the only one we didn't do insurance for). We both looked forward to it and talked about it all the time. As much as I would like to go on the cruise - I will be going to her city to stay with her and help her when she returns home from the hospital. I'll keep my fingers crossed that carnival will have some mercy on us and let us use a credit for a future cruise.

Like others I do not have any thing to offer but I want to wish you the best of luck! What a true friendship you two have!

Your friend is in my prayers....Hang in there!

What about switching to a different date? Sometime later in the year maybe? If you do it now, they might not have a problem with it. Just a question, I personally dont know if they will or not, but doesnt hurt to ask. I will keep your friend in my prayers. Hope all works out for both of you.

Well, the shock has started to wear off and thinking has become a bit more rational. Lots of time spent on-line researching colon cancer. She's going to speak with Dr. and see about scheduling the surgery for the week following the cruise. I'm game on whatever she decides to do and leaving the choice 100% up to her. If she decides to cancel the cruise we'll keep our fingers crossed that Carnival will allow us to take a credit for a future cruise.

Thank you all for your prayers - every little bit helps.

Please keep us informed. I pray that you will both be able to go on this cruise. If they can move the date, enjoy every single day with your friend, and make it your special cruise. You will also be able to look back on it when you take your cruise next cruise. I took a cruise last year before a very life threatening heart surgery. I will be going again in October to celebrate the fact that the illness is now behind me, Post-heart surgery cruise. How wonderful it will be to know that you can take another cruise once she is over the illness. She is blessed to have a friend like you that will be there to help her out.

I scheduled some orthopedic surgery for the Tuesday after a cruise. The cruise kept me from worrying about the surgery, and it was easier than a post-surgery cruise. I hope things work out for either your present cruise plans or for the one you two plan after this cancer stuff is behind her!

Best of luck to you and your friend at this difficult time.

In my experience, whether or not Carnival will postpone your trip depends largely on whether or not they overbooked the ship in your room category and would have offered incentives to others in the same category to change to a future sailing or not. If the ship sold well, then you might have a chance and they can include you on the 'bumped' roster. If not, then they they may say they cannot accomodate you. But you have nothing to lose by asking.

A couple of years ago I ended up in the ER. After several tests I was told I had a brain tumor the size of a flat orange. We had paid in full for our cruise on the Miracle which was to leave in 59 days. Not only did that mean we didn't get our final payment in on time it also meant that we would lose $600 deposit. I called Carnival to cancel because we had a cabin that I knew someone else would want. A supervisor came to the phone and told me that they were going to send me a $600 credit for a future cruise.

I also had airfare booked with Delta. I called them to cancel my booking and to find out how to apply my $100 change fee to a future flight.This is what really surprised me. I told them my situation and the lady that I spoke with said she wanted me to speak with someone else. The lady that I spoke with said they were giving me vouchers for the complete cost of both of our tickets! That was a shock, I did not think that the airlines would do that. I do buy the insurance now. I have since had three more surgeries. One more brain tumor and then partial removal of infected skull. As a matter of fact, I just got home yesterday, they replaced my skull with bonesourse!

Point is buy the insurance, but in answer to the ops question, sometimes there are a lot of caring people out there. Call CCL. And prayers are with your friend...and you.

Could you possibly cruise with someone else for this cruise? I think you can change a name for a nominal cost. I think you can only change one name.

This might also put the cruise cost back in the hands of your friend if the new person would be willing to reimburse her.

My prayers are with your friend.

luv2cruiseNY... please keep us informed. I hope everything works out for you and your friend. With all the bad stuff going on in her life she is blessed to have you for a friend.

cruzn buckeye.. best of luck with your recovery. It really sounds like you have been through a tough time. My son was very sick as a teenager and I too found out that there are some pretty kind folks in the word.

Praying for your friend.

My mom is a 2 yr colon cancer survivor. Her surgery was a emergency surgery, and 2/3 of her colon removed. She had no Chemo. They put her on pills and was on them for one month. Very expensive pills.

Unless the cancer is huge and causing her to have flu like symptoms and unable to eat, then the surgery could be postponed a week.

I think this is a good decission. It will make her more at ease and she will enjoy the cruise.

But as once stated, IT IS HER DECISION AS WELL AS HER DOCTORS DECISION.

again, many thanks for the prayers - I believe they do help - you have all been so kind with your words and prayers and sharing your own stories.

The diagnoses was a complete and total shock - no symptoms - routine colonoscopy (sp) - her first one as she just turned 50 this year.

I do realize I could ask another friend to go along and change the name on the ticket - part of it is the friend who is ill and I have been doing this together every year for the last 4 years - as we live so far apart it is the time we get to hang out together and really enjoy spending time together. I wouldn't have as good a time with someone else knowing what she was going through at home.

Two things:

1) even with the new diagnosis, your mate should still be able to arrange medical care in order to go - cancelling is not mandatory

2) if you do choose to cancel, you should expect to lose the entire fare, with no credit or anything else - I can't imagine why you would think you could possibly circumvent the policy.

In summary, go on the cruise, or let the money go.

Archived