Hawaii

TRadle

Regent used to offer a 26 day San Francisco/Hawaii/Tahiti/San Francisco cruise every other year. I was lucky enough to be on the 2006 cruise. It is not on their 2008 schedule, and in talking with their cruise consultants, it is not planned in the near future.

We keep giving Regent hints to do a LAX to Hawaii cruise, but so far no one is listening.

Something like a 4 or 5 day cruise one way. Then you are transported to a 6 star resort for a few days then

fly back. Or do the reverse. Fly to Hawaii and cruise back.

HAL, Celebrity, and Princess have a great RT trip itinerary from either LA or Sand Diego. It is a 14 or 15 day cruise with 8 days being at sea. I’d love to do this on a smaller more upscale line.

We love our sea days and hate long flights!

We keep giving Regent hints to do a LAX to Hawaii cruise, but so far no one is listening.

Something like a 4 or 5 day cruise one way. Then you are transported to a 6 star resort for a few days then

fly back. Or do the reverse. Fly to Hawaii and cruise back.

The PSA prohibits a foreign registered vessel from transporting passengers between U.S. ports without a stop at a "distant" foreign port. Some ships make a stop at Ensenada (MX).

I've read (on other boards) where passengers are transported from San Diego for (dis)embarkation and other instances where they refer to Ensenada as a "technical stop" for a couple of hours.

Ships used to sail SW for a few days (and back) to Fanning Island, which is basically a beach with a few vendors. This lost popularity after NCL America (U.S. Registered vessels) started sailing around Hawaii.

Other cruise lines do stop here but they probably sail from Canada or Mexico (possibly Ensenada). Crystal Symphony has been stopping once a year on its way to Hong Kong from LAX. We hopped-on last year ... very convenient.

I read a good number of posts about NCL's experiences in Hawaii, including those of NCL America with US flagged ships and crew. Certinly not beause I ever want to cruise NCL (again) but because I was interested in problems presented by the itinerary for a cruise ship. One problem for which there is no real solution is the lack of docking facilities on most of the islands -- Oahu being an exception -- and high seas all too often preventing tendering. The governor of Hawii has unsuccessfully argued for repeal of the PSA to allow all-Hawaii cruises -- and mainland/Hawaii -- cruises by foriegn-flagged ships. But really opening up Hawaii to cruising is going to require some port and dock construction by that state.

You're right about the lack of cruise ship facilities, and I think it's a chicken-and-egg situation. I'd think they need to get the law changed first, and then that would bring on a wave of construction and commitments from the cruise industry. It just doesn't make economic sense to invest in port infrastructure when it's so difficult to cruise to and from Hawaii currently due to the archaic law.

-- Eric

Archived