Noordam leaving the NY port for good?

lovingwife1229

I just read on another thread that the Noordam is leaving NY at the end of 2008 and moving to Florida. No one said if it was temporary or for good.

Is HAL leaving NY all together?

I could just cry. I have been researching and planning our 10th anniversary cruise for a few weeks now and was so looking forward to the Noordam. Since I don't fly, it seemed to be perfect since we live in NJ.

Does anyone have any information at all?

I'm going to have a good cry now.

I just read on another thread that the Noordam is leaving NY at the end of 2008 and moving to Florida. No one said if it was temporary or for good.

Is HAL leaving NY all together?

I could just cry. I have been researching and planning our 10th anniversary cruise for a few weeks now and was so looking forward to the Noordam. Since I don't fly, it seemed to be perfect since we live in NJ.

Does anyone have any information at all?

I'm going to have a good cry now.

Please Don't Cry...

...you'll smudge the pages and we won't be able to read them...

;)

Why not consider the Silver Meteor out of NYC Penn Station or Trenton NJ to Fort Lauderdale, then pick up the ship there?

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Route/Vertical_Route_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081442674074&ssid=136

Well, the Noordam is leaving NYC at the end of the 2008 season. But I think the Eurodam might be doing one or two New England/Canada trips from there; check with your TA.

You can always take Amtrak to Boston and take the Maasdam on its Saturday departures to Montreal and back. That's 14 days *AND* you get the pleasure of seeing all the others heading for the buses while you stand contented on the back deck, sipping your tea (or other effective beverage of choice) and watching the poor fools leave the ship while you still have another week to go.

I believe that the Noordam will continue to sail from New York until its repostioning cruise in April or May of 2009. I the only thing I can back this up with is that the Noordam will be doing a holiday cruise leaving New York on December 20th 2008 and returning to NYC on January 3rd 2009. I don't think that HAL will move the Noordam at of NYC for the remaining 10 or so cruise of the year. However when the summer season wraps up and the do the repostioning for the winter of 2009 the Noordam will arrive and sail at of it new home port. However, no one is thinking about Eurodam's sister which is slated to arrive in the Spring of 2010. We don't know yet where the home port will be for this ship. It is possible that this ship will call NYC home. Remember that the Noordam made its first cruise around this time also. So if you want to continue to sail out of NYC on the Noordam I would say that you have until atleast the holiday cruise of 2008 and possible the remaining cruise of that season before the Noordam does its finally repositioning from NYC. However we really don't know what will happen after this Holiday cruise because the 2009 schedules are not out yet. So lets enjoy the time we have left of the Noordam in NYC

Geoffrey

I know not is not the Same but you can sail out of NJ on the Explorer of the Seas. Which is there year around. Pricess is also talking about going out of Brooklyn, NY. But no firm plans. You can sail out of NY on NCL.

On August 11, I had this response to an email I sent HAL regarding 1) the number of kids booked on the 2/16 sailing of the Noordam, and 2) voicing my concern about the rumor that the Noordam would no longer sail from NYC. Take it for what it's worth, I guess. :rolleyes:

"Dear Mr & Mrs ......,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line concerning the upcoming cruise on the ms Noordam departing on February 16, 2008. We would be delighted to welcome one of our valued Mariners back on board.

We do not have a total of the number of children on this departure for next year. As there is space still available there will be guest still making bookings. Holland America as a rule does not allow disruptive behavior from children or adults. We do want every one of our guests to have the opportunity to enjoy their cruise experience. We do have children activities onboard in our Club HAL program that does offer an outlet for children to have their own cruise experience. These activities are supervised by trained Club HAL staff.

Our 2009 cruise schedule is not out yet but I do anticipate that Noordam will continue its sailing form New York. These sailings are extremely popular. I would have you check back later this year as the itineraries are announced about a year in advance.

Please feel free to contact us if we may be of additional assistance. Our valued Mariners’ comments or suggestions are always welcome and very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you on board in the near future.

Thank you for your continued patronage!

Kind Regards,

(name deleted by me!)

Consumer and On-Line Support

Holland America Line

1-877-SAIL-HAL"

Our 2009 cruise schedule is not out yet but I do anticipate that Noordam will continue its sailing form New York. These sailings are extremely popular.

But also extremely expensive for HAL if they are going south. Two sea days (or 2.5) each way is not a cheap way to run a ship these days. Someone quoted a crew member (HM?) as saying this is the least profitable run for HAL.

I hope some ship stays in NYC for round-trips; it's a lot easier for us folks around NY, NJ and PA.

From all I have read here on CC, it is the shipboard spending that makes the ships profitable. For all the New Yorkers, New Englanders.....everyone who wants Noordam continuing to sail from New York is to spend lots of money in the bars, (stop lugging hidden liquor in luggage :) ), buy art from the Art Auctions, play lots of Bingo, visit the shops on Board often :)......... spend money while aboard and the chances of Noordam (or another 'dam' ship) to continue to sail from New York will improve considerably. IMHO.....I'm sure they had a very good idea of fuel costs for the four sea days back and forth. They may not have gauged exactly how low they would have to price some of the cabins to compete with dirt cheap NCL...... Doesn't logic hint that if the ship makes money, it will stay where it is?

Do you want Noordam to stay in New York badly enough to spend a bit more money?

This is the reply I received this morning from Holland America. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and write to them every week in hopes that they stay.

I was doing my best to avoid NCL and RCI out of NY/NJ...as the reviews from members are pretty bad. Since I have never cruised before I have to rely on these member reviews to figure out what line to sail on. You are all so helpful! Thank you.

Dear Mrs. XXX,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding our Caribbean sailings for 2009. The 2009 sailing schedule for this product will be available approximately January 2008. Please feel free to contact us at a later date, and we will be more than happy to provide rates and availability for your selected itinerary. You may also refer to our website, http://www.hollandamerica.com, as the information will be posted as soon as it is available. At this time, we do not know exactly where each ship will be doing itineraries, so the Noordam may or may not be sailing from New York to the Caribbean in 2009-2010.

Passengers may also choose to place their name on a Future Cruise Request list for a minimal deposit of $100.00 per person. Once the sailing opens up we will convert your pseudo booking into a live booking. At that time you will have 5-days to confirm and pay the remaining deposit amount for the sailing, including any insurance if you take the option. You may also cancel the booking.

From all I have read here on CC, it is the shipboard spending that makes the ships profitable.
Well, given what it costs for the "Live from the Noordam" threads, I'm sure doing my part!

Is there an emoticon for "Spent a lot of money"? How about :eek:

I was really hoping that the Noordam would move to Ft lauderdale beginning Jan 2009 and do 10 day cruises from there. For us to get to NY from Pittaburgh means flying puddle jumpers and when we checked with them a few months ago, they can not guarantee that all of our luggage would be on the same plane as us. So sailing out of NY is not a good option for us.

Press Release Source: Holland America Line

Holland America Line Features Latest Ship and New Itineraries for 2008 - 2009 Caribbean Cruises

Tuesday July 10, 3:03 pm ET

SEATTLE, July 10 /PRNewswire/ -- In the next two years, Holland America Line plans its most diverse offering of Caribbean cruise options with new ports, back-to-back itineraries, and the introduction of its newest ship, ms Eurodam, in late 2008. Holland America Line has increased its presence in the region due primarily to the addition of the new 2,104-passenger Eurodam and has planned more 10-day and longer journeys along with some gateway changes to introduce in-depth itineraries.

ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning in 2008, Holland America Line also will embark on a full season of a southern Caribbean itinerary that proved to be a popular change-of-pace to traditional eastern and western sailings. The seven-day roundtrip from Fort Lauderdale visits Aruba, Curacao and the premium line's private island experience of Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

"Next year we are thrilled to introduce our new Signature-class Eurodam to the Caribbean and know our guests will enjoy sailing on her," said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. "With our greatest selection of cruises and our push to lead the industry with longer, in-depth itineraries, Holland America Line stands out in the region as offering something very unique for cruisers.

"Our on-board product, the amount of time we spend in port, and our private island experience that is regularly lauded as the quintessential Caribbean experience all add to the premium cruise experience our guests receive," added Meadows.

Holland America Line will have ten ships sailing the Caribbean in 2008 and through April 2009, offering 189 sailings. In 2008, ships depart from Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and New York; in 2009, gateways feature Fort Lauderdale and Tampa. The Noordam, which will sail out of New York in 2008, moves to Ft Lauderdale to offer the popular Seafarer/Wayfarer itineraries.

Caribbean ships include three Vista-class ships -- ms Noordam, ms Zuiderdam and ms Westerdam -- and the ms Maasdam, ms Prinsendam, ms Rotterdam, ms Veendam, ms Volendam, ms Statendam, and ms Eurodam.

Cruises will range from three-day Bahamas getaways to exotic 14-day adventures in the Southern Caribbean, some including the Panama Canal or South American ports. Many sailings are designed as combination cruises; for example, guests can combine a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise with a seven-day Eastern Caribbean sailing to experience more of the region.

Most cruises also plan a day at Half Moon Cay, Holland America Line's acclaimed private island. With its horseback riding and swimming excursion, guided AquaTrax watercraft tour, stingray adventure, and fun-filled family aqua park, Half Moon Cay continues to be the line's highest rated Caribbean port of call.

Cruise fares begin at $749 per person for a seven-day Eastern or Western Caribbean itinerary, $1,099 for a Sunfarer Caribbean/Panama Canal cruise, and $1,799 for a 14-day Southern Caribbean adventure. For more information, consult a travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL-HAL (877-724-5425) or visit http://www.hollandamerica.com.

- http://www.hollandamerica.com -

About Holland America Line [a division of Carnival Corporation and plc (NYSE: CCL - News and CUK - News)]

Holland America Line's fleet of 13 ships offers nearly 500 cruises to more than 320 ports. Two- to 108-day itineraries visit all seven continents, including Antarctica, South America, Australia/New Zealand and Asia voyages; a Grand World Voyage; and popular sailings to ports in the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, Canada/New England, Europe and Panama Canal.

In the 2006 Portrait of Affluent Travelers survey by Yesawich, Pepperdine, Brown and Russell, Holland America Line topped the list of cruise lines sought after by affluent leisure travelers. Fleetwide, the company features Signature of Excellence enhancements, totaling more than $225 million, that showcase the Culinary Arts Center presented by Food & Wine magazine -- a state-of-the-art onboard show kitchen where more than 60 celebrated guest chefs and culinary experts provide cooking demonstrations and classes -- Explorations Cafe powered by The New York Times, teens-only activity areas and all new stateroom amenities highlighted by flat-panel TVs and plush Euro-top Mariner's Dream Beds. For more information, consult a travel agent, call 1-877-SAIL-HAL (877-724-5425) or visit http://www.hollandamerica.com.

World's Leading Cruise Lines

The highest-rated premium cruise line in the world, Holland America Line is a member of the exclusive World's Leading Cruise Lines alliance, which also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line, Costa Cruises and Windstar Cruises. Sharing a passion to please each guest and a commitment to quality and value, these lines appeal to a wide range of lifestyles and budgets. The World's Leading Cruise Lines offer exciting and enriching cruise vacations to the world's most desirable destinations.

FireLT5,

We all have seen the press release that HAL put out in July, However we have people from Seattle saying that they haven't made any firm deciscions yet. But, from what we have heard in the press release is that the Noordam will be leaving from Ft. Lauderdale starting in 2009 and this might totally be true. We will have to wait and see until the 2009 schedule comes out. If I was a betting man I might bet that the Noordam will stay at least until the end of the Winter season of 2008-2009. That means that the Noordam will remain in NYC until it repostions in April of 2009. However when the it repositions for the fall in October of 2009 that is when it will possible be making its new home in Ft. Lauderdale unless HAL decides to change it. I have some evidence that the Noordam will be in NYC in 2009. It leaves on a holiday cruise on December 20th and returns January 3rd from a 14 day round trip from NYC. I have never seen a repositioning cruise during a season. Usually they are done before or after a season.

So IMHO I believe that the Noordam will atleast finish out her season from NYC after that season all bets are off, and we will have to wait for the deployment schedule early next year. On another note, that no one is looking at is that Eurodam's sister is schedule for arrival in early 2010 I would not be surpised if they replace Noordam with this ship in NYC. I can definitely see them putting a bigger ship which can make more revenue on this deployment and remember Noordam cam out and started cruising in Febuary so maybe from April 2009 to some early part of 2010 there won't be a HAL ship leaving from NYC but enter Eurodam's sister which would be a good spot for her to take up.

I do not think that Carnival/HAL will let other cruise companies have a slice of the pie(NYC) with out competition. So if any of you are a betting person I would say HAL will be be in NYC with some ship during that season. Look at all the lines that call NYC and NJ home: Cunard, Carnival, Celebrity, RCCL, and NCL that is to many, plus Carnival is also paying for the reconstructino of the Manhattan passenger ship terminal which is on going.

Geoffrey

The point many are missing is NOORDAM bunkers in St. Maarten, a Dutch port, where the fuel is cheap and the drinks are many.

Interesting - we observed her bunkering in NYC at the end of our last Noordam cruise...

...there was a Texaco oil barge at St Maarten, but it was the other ship across the pier.

Archived