What is the nicest cruise line and ship to take to Alaska?

Janiekins

Want to surprise my hubby with a cruise to Alaska. We live in Massachusetts. I would also like to tie in a few extra days in Vancouver to this trip. What ships are considered to be the nicest? Would you recommend a small ship or a large one? Any suggested itineraries would be greatly appreciated.

depends on budget...ports you want to visit...time you are going?

do you want a 1-way or a roundtrip? 1-ways are great if you have time for some land tours in mainland alaska. (denali national park and such)

personally, i think the "best" one is the one i am on!!!

you can check out the websites, send away for some of the visitor's guide..get a good idea on the ports and what they offer.

http://www.traveljuneau.com/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/districts/mendenhall/

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/

http://www.skagway.com/

http://www.alaskacruises.com/alaska_glacier_viewing.asp

also, google sitka and icy strait points (hoonah).

when we started planning, we were looking into smaller ships...even found one we could fish off the aft. but as the time to book came, we choose a big ship (NLC star) going out of seattle. a big difference from the orgininal plans. (a lot less $$ per person) still want to do a small ship cruise, but happy with the one we did.. the small ship would have been more then twice as much.

Want to surprise my hubby with a cruise to Alaska. We live in Massachusetts. I would also like to tie in a few extra days in Vancouver to this trip. What ships are considered to be the nicest? Would you recommend a small ship or a large one? Any suggested itineraries would be greatly appreciated.

Having sailed to Alaska many times on many different cruise lines I would recommend the Princess Island or Princess Coral. Princess has the most experience in Alaska and tries hard to get close to the glaciers. The two ships that I would avoid next year in Alaska would be the Celebrity Millennium and Infinity because of the many propulsion (pod) problems these ships have encountered over the years and continue to encounter. The Celebrity Summit, which is now overdue for a pod failure, also suffers from the same problems but will not be sailing Alaska in 2008.

You've asked a very subjective question! The nicest ship I've taken to Alaska is the Coral Princess. It's also the ONLY ship so far! :D Next summer I'll be on Holland America's Veendam, which is 1/3 smaller and 6 years older than the Coral Princess - but it has an itinerary I like for a second cruise.

You need to decide which is most important - the ship or the itinerary. The glitziest ships don't necessarily have the best itineraries.

Hi NancyIL, I am looking for a ship that has the best itinerary for September, 2008. I would like to take a 7 day one way cruise and then spend some time in Alaska. Do you have any suggestions for itineraries? Very interested in seeing glaciers and fjords.

I would not be opposed to a 14 day cruise if it had a great itinerary.

I was just on the Princess website and they offer 7 days cruises and cruisetours (staying on land) in Alaska. Any thoughts on these tours?

Hello Janiekins !

I have cruised twice in Alaska, both on Celebrity.

My 3rd Alaska cruise is booked for June 08, also on Celebrity.

I have cruised on 4 cruiselines, (RCI, Carnival, Princess) and Celebrity is my favorite of the four.

So, my vote is Celebrity.

Also, I would recommend that if you do a few days in Vancouver, do them.... before you do your cruise.

It's just fun to be anticipating the cruise portion of your trip.... as you begin the land portion of your trip.

Have fun planning ! :)

go early in sept, the chance for foul weather increases each week after august. especially as you go further north. if you want to go to denali natoinal park and other sights in mainland alaska, check to see when they close for the season. many close around sept 15th.

read on of the other posts, murray is reporting snow above skagway this week. (today) make sure you know what to expect and plan for colder, wetter weather then other times of summer.

Hi NancyIL, I am looking for a ship that has the best itinerary for September, 2008. I would like to take a 7 day one way cruise and then spend some time in Alaska. Do you have any suggestions for itineraries? Very interested in seeing glaciers and fjords.

I would not be opposed to a 14 day cruise if it had a great itinerary.

I was just on the Princess website and they offer 7 days cruises and cruisetours (staying on land) in Alaska. Any thoughts on these tours?

Any of the Princess one-way cruises would be great - going to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord, and ending (or beginning) in Whittier. The Sapphire and Diamond depart on Saturdays, and the Coral and Island depart on Mondays. I really liked the Monday departure, as there were no other ships in Vancouver the day we sailed, and there was only 1 very small ship in Skagway with us. The Coral and Island Princess are also smaller than the other two Princess ships, carrying 1970 passengers.

Princess will have a 14-day roundtrip cruise from Vancouver on the Tahitian Princess in 2008. The ship is MUCH smaller than most others in the Princess fleet - carrying 680 passengers. I think it has a great itinerary for a first-time Alaska cruiser, but you aren't likely to do a land trip with a roundtrip cruise.

Two Holland America ships, the Volendam and the Zaandam, will do a similar one-way itinerary in 2008 as Princess - but they arrive in Seward rather than Whittier. Their southbound itinerary substitutes Haines for Skagway. They are smaller than the Princess ships as well as older - but they are well-loved by many HAL fans.

As far as cruisetours offered by the cruiseline - many people like them, but I liked the flexibility of having a rental car and going where we wanted, when we wanted. If you choose to do a cruisetour - book the longest one you can, and make sure it does the Tundra Wilderness Tour rather than the Natural History Tour at Denali National Park.

Hello Janiekins !

I have cruised twice in Alaska' date=' both on Celebrity.

My 3rd Alaska cruise is booked for June 08, also on Celebrity.

I have cruised on 4 cruiselines, (RCI, Carnival, Princess) and Celebrity is my favorite of the four.

So, my vote is Celebrity.

[/quote']

I think Celebrity Millennium and RCI Radiance of the Seas have a very nice itinerary - going to 4 port towns and Hubbard Glacier. However, I give a slight edge to itineraries that go to Glacier Bay, especially if they also go to College Fjord, for a first cruise. And between Celebrity and RCI - I would choose RCI, simply because of the engine problems Celebrity M-class ships have had in the past, as Sunshine Gal mentioned.

I was on the Diamond Princess last year and the Celebrity Summit last month. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I didn't have it - an outside open viewing area on the bow. The Diamond had at least two such spots open pretty much all the time. The Summit had only the helipad that was open only for a few hours when cruising Hubbard Glacier.

Since being out on deck is important for me and not being hindered by glass (I am an avid photographer) I would be sure to choose a ship next time that has such an open outside viewing area on the bow. That means no more Celebrity M class ships for me. I noticed the HAL Volendam had two such viewing areas as we passed it (we seemed to be passing each other all week!).

For me, this one thing is as important as the itinerary. So, as was mentioned above, it is a very subjective decision.

John

You won't find two more beautiful ships than Royal Caribbeans Radiance and Serenade of the Seas.

on RCCL ships the bow is open for viewing most all the time. Only closed during high winds or water. It was wonderful for the Panama Canal and other interessting areas. Sailing into Venice, Italy on the bow was outstanding.

Celebrity wouldn't be bad, except the M-class (Summit, Infinity, Millennium & Constellation). With their pod issues, a few Alaskan cruises plus others have been affected.

Princess and HAL have been doing Alaska the longest, and have quite a huge infrastructure and presence in the State. I believe they also get more permits for Glacier Bay especially.

I haven't sailed Princess, but I've cruised HAL twice to Alaska. I like all the wood on the ship, fresh orchids and other flowers all over the ship, teak wood promenade deck all the way around the ship, teak wood deck loungers with pads and blankets for glacier viewing with hot chocolate or split pea soup, real wash cloths in the public restrooms, the beds in the cabins are to die for (best nights sleep ever), roof cover over the pool thats rolls out or back depending on weather, smaller ships, and the chimes ring to announce dinner. So elegant and reminiscent (sp?) of the ocean liners of old (of which HAL was). Even though they are now owned by Carnival, they have retained that "old sailing era" feel, like a voyage not just a vacation. I chose HAL for my recent cruisetour because I wanted to do the Yukon as well as Alaska. Princess did a 7 nt cruise with 8 days on land, but only a quick overnight to Dawson City for $4400 pp. We had 3 days on the ship from Vancouver to Tracy Arm, Juneau and Skagway. We left the ship in Skagway went up the Yukon Pass, coach at Fraser to Whitehorse, Dawson City, catamaran on the Yukon River to Eagle, coach to Tok, on to Fairbanks, domed railcar to Denali then domed railcar (8 hr trip) to Anchorage to fly home. We had 4 days in the Yukon before arriving back into Alaska, and it was wonderful. Dawson City ended up being our favorite town, with Denali a close second. I loved the tour bus, they handle the luggage and driving, all I did was sit back and enjoy the sights and scenery rolling by. A couple of times, it did get a little crowded as there were two buses of 44 people traveling in tandem. But HAL had things pretty well organized. We were usually in our hotel rooms within 10-15 minutes of arriving. We traveled almost 1800 miles on this cruisetour, and I don't think we could have/would have seen or done as much if we were driving ourselves.

Do your homework. I start by making a graph chart. I put the cruiselines/ships across the top. Down the side, put what is important to you. Cost, cabin type, ports, time in ports, excursions, size of ship, etc. As you research, put an "X" in the conjoining box. When you finish, one should have more "X's" than the others, and that should be the one you choose. But whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time, Alaska is the prize.

well, focus on the itinerary, price, then cruiseship. That will be my priority.

Same for me, except in the future I would only consider ships with open bow viewing area - glad to hear the Mercury has such since the Summit didn't. I spend a lot of time at the front of the ship (yes, wind and all). It may be a non-issue to many people - I didn't see that many people on deck 11 all week except for a handful. My guess is there would be even less if it were exposed to the elements.

Just back from Alaska and we were on Radiance.. we are still missing her !! The itinerary was great... ports were excellent. The amount of glass on that ship is amazing... I loved it and would sail her again in a heartbeat.. Captain is a riot and made us all laugh everyday.. had an aft balcony and spent alot of time there enjoying the amazing views.

I am curious why Seven Sea is not mentioned. Of course we don't know Janiekins' budget but perhaps not many people think the luxury cruises are worth it?

I saw the ship in Vancouver today and it is by far the most beautiful ship. :p I checked online and saw it priced at 3894 CAD for a suite.. I am saving $ now!

You won't find two more beautiful ships than Royal Caribbeans Radiance and Serenade of the Seas.

While I think the Radiance is beautiful, I thought they did Alaska poorly compared to Princess. They just didn't have their act together in reference to Alaska.

As far as what is nicest - that is confusing. Crystal doesn't go to Alaska. Regent does - I haven't sailed them but people really like Regent. Silversea is also supposedly to be wonderful. These last 2 are going to be pricey but you asked for "nicest".

If you are really into nature and naturalists - you may want to look into CruiseWest. They are not luxurious but you will have a great Alaskan experience with them compared to the mass lines. They focus more on Alaska compared to other lines (several naturalists, going to smaller ports, etc..).

Just back from Alaska and we were on Radiance.. we are still missing her !! The itinerary was great... ports were excellent. The amount of glass on that ship is amazing... I loved it and would sail her again in a heartbeat.. Captain is a riot and made us all laugh everyday.. had an aft balcony and spent alot of time there enjoying the amazing views.

Hi Lisa - HOKIE fans here!

Would you mind sharing with/giving pointers about your airfare? We're looking to go next August. thanks! Diana

Did you get seasick in an aft...did you hear anything about cabin 1600

We just returned Aug. 31st from a 4 day land tour and 8 day cruise thru Holland America. We sailed on the Volendam - it has an open bow which was PACKED for sailing thru Glacier Bay!! We saw Turner Glacier calving A LOT and Hubbard Glacier only doing a little calving. They also offer coffee, hot chocolate, and Dutch pea soup to sip while glacier viewing. We had a veranda suite which allowed us to see porpoises, sea lions, and orca whales right from our own balcony after dinner one night.

We stopped at Icy Strait Point (booked a whale watch with F.I.S.H.E.S. and had a great crab lunch at "The Office" bar), Skagway (took a jeep tour along the highway north into British Columbia and into The Yukon - bring your passports!), Juneau (Mt.Roberts Tramway and Mendenhall Glacier), Ketchikan ( Aleutian Ballad crab excursion), and docked in Vancouver. This was our first cruise so I have nothing to compare it with but WE enjoyed EVERY second of our trip!! The ship was beautiful, everyone was so polite and helpful and the food was excellent!!!!

As a lot of other posters have said, pick your itinerary FIRST and decide what you REALLY want to do/see, then pick your cruise line. We were only dissapointed by the short time spent in Ketchikan ( 6hrs.), otherwise it was a great trip!!

For Alaska, based on advise from this board, I compared itineraries first. After deciding which itinerary worked best for us, then I looked to see which ships were available for the time we want to sail. Then we compared the prices. For us, it came down to HAL and Princess, due to identical itinerary. While we would have preferred HAL for this trip, mainly due to the much better beds, the difference in price for the same type of cabin was about $2000.00 and that was even through discounters! So we are taking Princess, and hoping the eggcrate topper will save my back. Anita

Archived