December cruise

lsmith55uf

My wife and I are looking at taking a cruise in December and I have found 2 that seem very comparable. One is on the Carnival Valor, which I have been on before, and the other is on the Caribbean Princess, which I have never been on. My only cruise experience has been with Carnival and I have loved all of them. My question is this: If the itineraries are almost identical, as well as the price, what is the better option? I am all for branching out, and I have heard good things about Princess, but I want to do my research before I pick. I am 26, my wife is 25, neither of us are big drinkers or party people but we don't want to be the youngest people on the ship either. How are the drink prices, extras prices, etc on Princess? Comparable, more or less? How do the rooms, food, etc, compare? Is either ship ''nicer?" I'm torn on which to pick, so help would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I are looking at taking a cruise in December and I have found 2 that seem very comparable. One is on the Carnival Valor, which I have been on before, and the other is on the Caribbean Princess, which I have never been on. My only cruise experience has been with Carnival and I have loved all of them. My question is this: If the itineraries are almost identical, as well as the price, what is the better option? I am all for branching out, and I have heard good things about Princess, but I want to do my research before I pick. I am 26, my wife is 25, neither of us are big drinkers or party people but we don't want to be the youngest people on the ship either. How are the drink prices, extras prices, etc on Princess? Comparable, more or less? How do the rooms, food, etc, compare? Is either ship ''nicer?" I'm torn on which to pick, so help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello...Ismith55uf !

I will give my vote for Princess, just because I think it is a better cruiseline. Of course, that is my opinion.

I think the drink prices, etc... seem to be very similar on the ships.

Hey...Welcome to Cruise Critic !

We've been on both Carnival many times and Princess several times, and we have one of each booked again, Dawn Princess Mexico for 12/2 and Carnival Liberty for E. Carib. 01/05/08.

Just my personal perceptions of both: Carnival's decor is a little garish compared to Princess, but their night life is definitely more filled with options, i.e. more bars and dance venues. I think the food is pretty much the same. As far as age of passengers, Princess will be a little older, but you will definitely not be the only youngsters aboard. Both lines run the gammut age-wise, but Carnival seems to be a little more "party"-oriented. I'm sure if you decide on Princess, there will be plenty of persons in your age group for you to hang with. We have also been on 3 Norwegian cruises, and 1 Holland America. In short, we loved them all. No matter which you decide on, I'm sure you will have a lovely time.

As far as age of passengers, Princess will be a little older, but you will definitely not be the only youngsters aboard. Both lines run the gammut age-wise, but Carnival seems to be a little more "party"-oriented.

END QUOTE

Hubby and I went on our second Princess cruise in early December of '03 and the median age on board was about 75 years of age.

We saw maybe 10 children and virtually no teenagers, nor anybody

that appeared in their 20's or 30's. There was very little party atmosphere to be had, and we are not even "partiers." We like an

occasional drink and like to listen to music in the lounge, but even

the lounges were dead by 8:00 at night. Maybe 20 people showed

up to the island night party and normally hundreds turn out on Princess.

I think the OP should partake of the Carnival cruise since they are in their

20's and Carnival does have a more festive atmosphere.

We will never sail out of Ft. Lauderdale again in early

December. There just wasn't enough activity on the ship for us:D

We will, however, sail out of Ft. Laud during the more active times.

The age issue is going to be determined by the weeks that you cruise.

In early December (see post above).... all children (including up to college age) are in school. Those early weeks in December are going to be an older crowd.

I have sailed on Princess during Spring Break and New Years....and it was full of all age groups.

I have been on both Princess and RCCL the first week of December on ships going out of Florida. Frankly, the fellow passengers in early to mid December are much older than the rest of the year. Last year on the Explorer of the Seas we felt like some of the younger passengers, and we're in our 50's.

I have traveled with both Princess and RCCl at other times, and the demographics were completely different and much more diverse. If you decide to go with Princess, I wouldn't go the first week of Dec. if you're looking for many passengers of your age group.

That all said, we're booked for the first week of Dec. on the CB and can't wait!

How about extras? I know carnival has coffee, juice, tea, water, soft serve ice cream and a few other all included. Does Princess offer the same? Also, are there any extra charges on the ship the are not there on Carnival?

Tea, coffee, water are available. Soft serve ice cream is not, but there is an ice cream shop available to buy ice cream. Also ice cream is available in the buffet for free mid afternoon.

Not sure about juice.

I would recommend that you try Princess a different time of year. A couple of years ago, we took our daughter of college age on the Caribbean Princess in August and they had a great time. I just won't suggest early to mid Dec. for you.

If you don't want to be the youngest on the ship. Listen to the others about choosing the time of year or certain weeks to find others your age. Early December and early January attract many, many "seniors" because prices are usually reasonable at that time of year.

The only time, in 20 cruises, I have found more than a couple of people your age on a Princess cruise has been over Christmas and during Spring Break except on Princess to Alaska this past May there were some young families.

There is usually much joking from the cruise staff about everyone being in bed by 10 pm. You will find even at the second show around 10 pm the theaters can be only partially filled.

Princess is a great cruise line but unless it won't bother you to be 40 years younger than the average age of the cruisers maybe you would be happiest cruising with Carnival if you love that experience.

If you don't want to be the youngest on the ship. Listen to the others about choosing the time of year or certain weeks to find others your age. Early December and early January attract many, many "seniors" because prices are usually reasonable at that time of year.

The only time, in 20 cruises, I have found more than a couple of people your age on a Princess cruise has been over Christmas and during Spring Break except on Princess to Alaska this past May there were some young families.

There is usually much joking from the cruise staff about everyone being in bed by 10 pm. You will find even at the second show around 10 pm the theaters can be only partially filled.

Princess is a great cruise line but unless it won't bother you to be 40 years younger than the average age of the cruisers maybe you would be happiest cruising with Carnival if you love that experience.

We found there to be many younger cruises in August when we went. Spring is also a better time.

We have cruised Carnival in the first weeks of December out of Florida, and also Princess. We felt like the young crowd on both ships, we are late 50's. Late at night on both ships it was deserted. We are not into night life, would rather sit on our balcony, but if this is a problem for you do not cruise on almost any line the beginning of December. But it is also a time to get great rates, I thank my husband every year that we were married on the 10th of December.

If you think getting drunk on beer and running around in jeans is for you go Carnival If however you appreciate getting dressed for dinner, sipping cocktails and adult activites then choose Princess. Unfortunately their balcony cabins a re a bit smaller than Princess but they give you real toiletries in the bathroom and not samples from the manufaturer. The specialty restarant (supper club) is better on Carnival and a refuge from the rest of the slobs on the ship.

The one I am looking at is Dec 16th andd is a 7 day. Still gonna be mostly an older crowd? I don't really care, but if there is NO people our age, then it would probably be a little less enjoyable.

If you do book this one, I can guarantee that you won't be the only 20 somethings on the ship. It just so happens that I am also going on this particular cruise! My party's ages are: 20, 27, 40 and 44. So, at least two other people will be under 30 on the ship. ;)

From reading other posts I see that I may be alone in this, but in my experience, holiday times generally have a younger crowd onboard. Most college breaks will begin around Dec 12-16.

We are going on the Caribbean Princess the first week of December and we are not seniors :)

My husband and I are in our 40s and we have twin 13 year olds and a 17 year old going with us. Many colleges are out by Thanksgiving (if on quarters) as this is how our 17 year old is able to go. The twins are homeschooled so that makes traveling very easy.

I loved our July cruise on the Caribbean Princess and we are so looking forward to our cruise in December. Frankly, I do not care about the ages of the other passengers as we have a great time on our own and also, we get along with people of all ages. Some of our best friends are seniors - I love talking to older people as they have so many interesting stories to tell. My husband is a history buff and has a fabulous time talking to older veterans.

I would imagine that no matter which ship you choose, it will be more sedate during the first weeks of December. This is not a bad thing!!! Much better than party times during Spring break. And, if you do want to eat later in the evening and watch movies or shows in the later hours, you will not have to worry about finding a seat!

Have a great cruise :D

I don't get drunk on beer and saw no one like this on our Carnival cruise. I love jeans, except they are too hot to wear, also saw no one running around in them on our Carnival cruise and it was a very enjoyable cruise. I don't enjoy getting dressed up for dinner (and don't) but don't worry because I only go in the dinning rooms when it's casual. I do not sip cocktails. loved those samples we got on Carnival. The only thing I do try to avoid on Princess or any other cruise line are the cruise snobs who think they are on the Queen Mary who still has the classes in different areas. I don' break any dress code rules, and we have a great time on Princess. You will have a great time on Princess or Carnival. The on thing Princess has is the anytime dining which we think is great. That way if a cruise snob is at our table we only have to endure one night. Like the women on Princess last December who sent her fish back because it tasted like fish!

The one I am looking at is Dec 16th andd is a 7 day. Still gonna be mostly an older crowd? I don't really care, but if there is NO people our age, then it would probably be a little less enjoyable.

That date just might work. Book it and have a great time BUT....decide right now before booking that should you be the only ones in that age bracket that you will have a great time and not think twice about the ages of your fellow cruisers.

Princess: The ship has a more "brass and glass" kind of decor. More sedate, more upscale/classy. You won't see as many towel animals or a lot of dancing in the main dining room. You won't hear a lot of announcements in the dining room or on the ship, in general.

Carnival: The ships are more "neon/lights/bells/whistles" kind of deor. More lively, generally decorated in a more modern style. Lots of towel animals and announcements in the dining area and all over the ship. Noise until the "wee" hours of the morning. That can be fun, if you're looking for that. And, they have "ships on a stick!" :)

I like them both, for different reasons! :p

Mostly agree, but January is a decent month for younger cruisers as college kids are on winter break at that time. December on the other hand they are all in school. A few weeks makes a world of difference. Have cruised early january 2 years in row(3 in a few months) and have seen a good age skew.

Archived